Niles?

Eriotto

"Niles" does sound very camp, doesn't it?

If I'm not mistaken Silas's name was never Cyrus.
Even in the japanese version, it was still Silas.
I've heard there's similar case with Xander's name, as his japanese name is not Marx but rather Marks.
Even Kozaki writes his name as Marks.
And to be fair, in a series like Fire Emblem, where there are so many characters in each game, repeated names were bound to happen.

I'm always uncertain about the Japanese's ability to romanize names, whether they have a specific artistic vision or maybe they just don't understand how it works. Silas is acceptable but I'm more fond of Cyrus, personally. Likewise, "Marx" is far more appealing to me than "Marks" even if that's his "canon" romanized name for the Japanese version.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NoJ romanizations, generally featuring on the official site and artbooks are generally considered the official 'English' spellings of Japanese names.

Thing is these vary, especially in the artbooks. For older unlocalized games it's almost always a hodgepodge of romanizations since there's no agreed upon standards. Which is why some of the FE13 DLC names seemed to come out of the blue, Quan and Raquesis were not the names used in past artbooks but showed up there.

Zero -> Niles doesn't bother me that much because the logic is there. Nil meaning zero and whatnot.

Tsubaki -> Subaki bothers the hell out of me because Subaki means nothing in English. It's a pointless change. Either change it to the English version of Tsubaki, or leave it alone. Christ.

But then they'd have to change Camilla's name. Lol

I hope they're not going for a gay caricature for Niles's character...

It really seems that's what they are going for.

In the video he said something along the lines of "LOOOOOOKING for something??? <3 <3"

The voice actor gave him the slightest bit of flamboyance. -_-

But hey, at least there's gay marriage in this game!! I'll take that over nothing.

I don't think he sounded flamboyant, and besides there was that echo effect.

Actually, he sounded more seductive than flamboyant.

Well, now we need to wait for video with better sound quality or to relese, for me it's hard to tell his voice cause of this huge echo lol.

True, I'll make a better judgement once we get better audio quality. The echo did make him sound weird.

So wait, having a semi-flirty tone is now a harmful gay caricature? Thicker skin, people need to grow it. Zero/Niles is a naughty little sausage who likely has a flirty tone in the English version because he can be very...persuasive. Why else does he have the Capture command, eh? Hes also a bit of an outlaw. Come on.

Zero = 0 = Nil ==> Niles

But he will still be forever Niles Edgeworth:

tumblr_nzw27bMkIz1s7vp77o1_400.png

tumblr_inline_nzw1bejZ4z1sq9wvf_540.jpg

lel!

I like Niles, tbh. I think its probably one of the cooler changes. While Zero's name didnt need to be changed at all, im glad its something kinda nice and a little sexy.

So wait, having a semi-flirty tone is now a harmful gay caricature? Thicker skin, people need to grow it. Zero/Niles is a naughty little sausage who likely has a flirty tone in the English version because he can be very...persuasive. Why else does he have the Capture command, eh? Hes also a bit of an outlaw. Come on.

I think it's less that and more like it's a bit harder to tell which one it is due to the insane, shitty echo. I'm thinking the seductive voice stays but they don't make him a gay caricature in the supports. That'd... fuck up a lot of things honestly.

Considering he never was a gay caricature, i think theres nothing to worry about and people are making mountains out of molehills yet again. I honestly expected his English voice to be just like that.

the echo make it hard to say but I think it's seductive.

I hope he doesn't become a caricature and we already have the twincest(?) bandit for the overly flamboyant gay stereotype(in a way, as long as those two exist as ennemies, we'll probably not have a flamboyant gay stereotype as an option)

and Treehouse does have a bi girl on their team, I kind of hope that her prescence would help treehouse to not make mistakes, even if she doesn't take care of the LGBT characters' localization they could still ask her for advice.

personally, i wouldn't have picked niles, even if it does technically stick with the theme of "zero" in his name. it's certainly a good name and the keeping the theme is good, but no.

because:

tumblr_inline_nzzzw7AuUW1r2tqhs_540.png

it's just too close for me. i can't take him seriously.

i'm not crazy about "beruka," either. "belka" is perfectly fine, or even belinda? either way, it's less of a 180 that took place for her.

Edited by falcoknights

Considering he never was a gay caricature, i think theres nothing to worry about and people are making mountains out of molehills yet again. I honestly expected his English voice to be just like that.

Some may disagree. While "naughty" makes up a good part of his personality, he's also cruel and enjoys making people uncomfortable. I don't know how much of a "caricature" of gay/sexual people he is, but I wouldn't really call it a positive image.

Edited by NekoKnight

Some may disagree. While "naughty" makes up a good part of his personality, he's also cruel and enjoys making people uncomfortable. I don't know how much of a "caricature" of gay/sexual people he is, but I wouldn't really call it a positive image.

While he does fit the Depraved Bisexual trope to an extent, it's not as if he's going around and making people miserable because he gets off on it, and the whole naughty/cruel thing isn't really tied to his sexuality.

[spoiler=Just in case someone reading is trying to avoid spoilers]

He's only sadistic to people who have an easy life because he had such a difficult childhood/early-life, so he wants to see people who live care-free and 'happy' lifestyles suffer in a kind of 'ha ha, not so nice is it' kind of way, as seen in:

Azura/Niles B-Support- " Perhaps because of that, whenever I see someone who know no struggles, I end up wanting to see agony on their face..." (http://feifsupports.tumblr.com/post/123433498571/aqua-zero-b-support)

Camilla/Niles B-Support: "That's why I envy those happier than me, those who look like they've never been through any hardships. It makes me want to let them taste hell in full. Seeing those faces contorted in pain...I attained momentary pleasure." (http://pastebin.com/cRwi17aP)

Edited by Phillius

While he does fit the Depraved Bisexual trope to an extent, it's not as if he's going around and making people miserable because he gets off on it, and the whole naughty/cruel thing isn't really tied to his sexuality.

[spoiler=Just in case someone reading is trying to avoid spoilers]

He's only sadistic to people who have an easy life because he had such a difficult childhood/early-life, so he wants to see people who live care-free and 'happy' lifestyles suffer in a kind of 'ha ha, not so nice is it' kind of way, as seen in:

Azura/Niles B-Support- " Perhaps because of that, whenever I see someone who know no struggles, I end up wanting to see agony on their face..." (http://feifsupports.tumblr.com/post/123433498571/aqua-zero-b-support)

Camilla/Niles B-Support: "That's why I envy those happier than me, those who look like they've never been through any hardships. It makes me want to let them taste hell in full. Seeing those faces contorted in pain...I attained momentary pleasure." (http://pastebin.com/cRwi17aP)

I don't think cruelty is made better just because he "only" enjoys it when it happens to people who are well off. And in regards to the bolded, his support with Elise has a line like "Ah, Princess Elise's tears. How exquisite". By the end of their support, Elise doesn't feel sad anymore and Zero loses interest. So... yeah, I think he does get off to it.

He gets the depraved bisexual title, not for a single trait but by the sum of his parts. He apparently does get satisfaction from the suffering of others, and there is a negative image of "willing to sleep with anything that moves", including, y'know, children.

Zero is kind of an odd character, in some ways, his negatives (the sadistic part) are "hyped" but then downplayed in the actual game, but then you have legitimate creepy things like enjoying Elise's sadness and specifically mentioning her having a "great body".

I won't tell people not to like him, but sometime I think people focus on his naughtiness and forget that he's kind of a creep in general.

I don't think cruelty is made better just because he "only" enjoys it when it happens to people who are well off. And in regards to the bolded, his support with Elise has a line like "Ah, Princess Elise's tears. How exquisite". By the end of their support, Elise doesn't feel sad anymore and Zero loses interest. So... yeah, I think he does get off to it.

He gets the depraved bisexual title, not for a single trait but by the sum of his parts. He apparently does get satisfaction from the suffering of others, and there is a negative image of "willing to sleep with anything that moves", including, y'know, children.

Zero is kind of an odd character, in some ways, his negatives (the sadistic part) are "hyped" but then downplayed in the actual game, but then you have legitimate creepy things like enjoying Elise's sadness and specifically mentioning her having a "great body".

I won't tell people not to like him, but sometime I think people focus on his naughtiness and forget that he's kind of a creep in general.

I'm pretty sure that out of everyone he can support, Elise fits the criteria for the people he wants to suffer more than anyone else. Sure, she does mention that her mother was neglectful in her support withe Leo, but she had the happiest childhood out of all the Royals and (thought this might just be me) can come across as a little bratty in some of her supports, such as the C-Support with Azura. Sure, it's a little dickish to vent those frustrations on a pre/early-teen (not accounting for localisation), but he is a bit of a dick, so it's not out of the question.

Besides, I don't think he ever really has a proper sadistic moment in his supports with other characters. All he ever really seems to do is make innuendos and troll people, he only ever refers to suffering in the context of people who have better lives than him (but I might've forgotten something, so eh). He might like making people uncomfortable, but that's not being sadistic, that's being a dick.

As for those comments about Elise's body...yeah, I'm not even gonna try to defend that, but I will mention that Elise can S-Rank with all Nohrian males + Ryoma and Takumi, so Niles isn't the only one who comes across as having...unfortunate preferences(It's like they haven't even heard of the age/2 + 7 rule). I will also agree that he's quite creepy, but so is Kamui (face-rubbing) and Flannel (hoarding/eats people).

Edited by Phillius

I'm pretty sure that out of everyone he can support, Elise fits the criteria for the people he wants to suffer more than anyone else. Sure, she does mention that her mother was neglectful in her support withe Leo, but she had the happiest childhood out of all the Royals and (thought this might just be me) can come across as a little bratty in some of her supports, such as the C-Support with Azura. Sure, it's a little dickish to vent those frustrations on a pre/early-teen (not accounting for localisation), but he is a bit of a dick, so it's not out of the question.

Besides, I don't think he ever really has a proper sadistic moment in his supports with other characters. All he ever really seems to do is make innuendos and troll people, he only ever refers to suffering in the context of people who have better lives than him (but I might've forgotten something, so eh). He might like making people uncomfortable, but that's not being sadistic, that's being a dick.

As for those comments about Elise's body...yeah, I'm not even gonna try to defend that, but I will mention that Elise can S-Rank with all Nohrian males + Ryoma and Takumi, so Niles isn't the only one who comes across as having...unfortunate preferences(It's like they haven't even heard of the age/2 + 7 rule). I will also agree that he's quite creepy, but so is Kamui (face-rubbing) and Flannel (hoarding/eats people).

The "sadism" thing seems to be just there to make him appeal to the 50 Shades of Grey fans, when in reality, it's mostly downplayed. With some exceptions.

In regards to Elise being able to marry other males, The thing that makes Zero especially creepy (apart from getting off to her tears) is that he's one of the few people who makes a sexual comment on Elise (this is in their C rank no less). Most other people don't sound romantic at all until S rank and then it's just about love, with no specific mention of sexual attraction (even if the presence of children confirms it). Silas also gets a creepy support with her where he gets himself hyped up for sleeping with her, which makes Elise uncomfortable because she was referring to something more innocent.

Kamui's face rubbing is presumably not canon and maybe I have Flannel bias but hoarding and eating people makes you eccentric, not creepy!

Seriously guys, what's wrong with eating people? I don't have a problem. You have the problem!

I prefer "Niles" to "Zero"; the later makes me think of a robot anti-christ and the codename of a freedom fighter, not of an actual human being. As has been said, "Niles" still keeps part of the meaning.

Zero will probably always be Zero to me. Maybe it's just because I'm used to it, but it sounds way better to me.

Edit: I made a dumb post without re-reading the whole support so please ignore my stupid.

Edited by bearaby