FE Mispronunciations That Stuck With You

Randoman

I say Aether as "AY-ther" even though I know it's supposed to be "EE-ther" since that's how Ike even pronounces it in Smash. xP And I heard the word in Kid Icarus: Uprising said the same way.

But I'm more used to "ae" being a long A sound rather than a long E sound. It can be both though. Even though I don't get that because "ea" is typically a long E sound in English already. So imo, I don't see why switching the letters around to "ae" should make it the same sound.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most notable one is Bartre, who's name I pronounce as "BAR-tee" and have for the last decade or so. The story behind that is that I had a friend who pronounced it that way and it just kinda stuck with me. I know his name is supposed to be an alternate spelling of "Barter" but he's "Bartee" to me pretty much forever now.

Kjelle I bounce back and forth between "Shella" and "Chell" because I've seen both brought up as the "correct" pronunciation, but more often I'll just jokingly pronounce it "K'gel" (gel as in the type of substance).

The G in Begnion is not and has never been silent when I pronounce it.

Bolganone I pronounce like "BOWL-guh-nun"

Crimea I still pronounce like "CRIHM-ee-uh" even though I now know that it's supposed to be "cry-MEE-uh"

Renais I pronounce like "REE-nayce" even though I'm becoming increasingly certain that that's actually wrong.

I pronounce Ephraim like "EFF-rum" although I feel that's not likely to be correct.

Pronouncing "Caellach" like "KAY-latch" is definitely wrong.

Apparently there's uncertainty about how "Zephiel" is supposed to be pronounced? I've always said "ZEE-feel" but I feel like it's probably meant to be "ZEH-feel".

Gilliam, I also pronounce with a hard G. So, the first syllable is "gill" as in a fish's gills, rather than "Jill".

Cherche is "Share'sh" or "Shairsh", whichever makes the pronunciation clearer. Although why they didn't just localize "Serge" to the very real name "Sergia" is beyond me

I've always said "Lie-SEE-uh" for "Lycia", but I guess that's not correct? Using the katakana's "LEE-kee-uh" seems so awkward considering the English spelling, though.

I'm never sure if it's Ostia or Ositia.

It's Ostia, at least in the Japanese and North American versions. I believe the European versions changed it to "Ositia" for some reason. I'm not really sure why, though.

I say Aether as "AY-ther" even though I know it's supposed to be "EE-ther" since that's how Ike even pronounces it in Smash. xP And I heard the word in Kid Icarus: Uprising said the same way.

But I'm more used to "ae" being a long A sound rather than a long E sound. It can be both though. Even though I don't get that because "ea" is typically a long E sound in English already. So imo, I don't see why switching the letters around to "ae" should make it the same sound.

The "ae" is actually its own single letter, "Æ". Aether is actually "Æther", which incidentally is, I believe, the same word as "ether", just an alternate spelling. They don't use the Æ character in English text much because it has the appearance of two capital letters smashed together and looks weird right at the beginning of a word, so it often gets split apart into "ae" instead, without altering the intended pronunciation.

I'm not a linguist, though, much less an expert on languages other than modern English, so if somebody with more knowledge of this has any corrections or elaborations to make, feel free.

Edited by Topaz Light

Gilliam, I also pronounce with a hard G. So, the first syllable is "gill" as in a fish's gills, rather than "Jill".

I know a guy named Gilliam who pronounces his name like that.

And I'm pretty sure that Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python fame) does too.

I still don't know how Caellach, Fimbulvetr or Sacae is pronounced. Whenever my game mentioned those, my brain just skipped them and move on to the next words.

Also I thought Camus rhymes with Samus for the longest time, until I found out a few weeks ago that its pronunciation is something like Kah-mee-oo.

Caellach is Irish/Gaelic originally. Its actually an old form of the name, Kelly. Key-lack is basically how its supposed to be said. Ive always added that little chhhg noise in the back of my throat when i said it though. Gives it the old Gaelic flavor.

Sacae? I think thats said "Sah-Kay"

Wait...Camus is not pronounced "Cay-mus"? Ooopsie.

Fimbulvetr is an alternate spelling of Fimbulwinter (the mythical three-year-long winter that precedes Ragnarok), and I've heard it pronounced FIM-bul-WIN-ter, so I pronounce Fimbulvetr as FIM-bul-VE-ter.

Thou art correct, ser. Fimbulvetr is actually the old Norse way of saying it.

How do you lot say L'Arachel? I call her "Le-rashell"

geoffrey

radiant dawn is dumb

Jof-free is a legitimate pronunciation though

I pronounce Ephraim like "EFF-rum" although I feel that's not likely to be correct.

I've said Eff-frum too, but it's Ee-frum isn't it?

How do you lot say L'Arachel? I call her "Le-rashell"

Lar-shell.

Loo-chee-na will never not make sense to me, and I've always said Sacae like Sah-cah-ee.

Edited by Lord Raven

It's Ostia, at least in the Japanese and North American versions. I believe the European versions changed it to "Ositia" for some reason. I'm not really sure why, though.

The "ae" is actually its own single letter, "Æ". Aether is actually "Æther", which incidentally is, I believe, the same word as "ether", just an alternate spelling. They don't use the Æ character in English text much because it has the appearance of two capital letters smashed together and looks weird right at the beginning of a word, so it often gets split apart into "ae" instead, without altering the intended pronunciation.

I'm not a linguist, though, much less an expert on languages other than modern English, so if somebody with more knowledge of this has any corrections or elaborations to make, feel free.

And Bern became Biran (I pronounce it like Iran, but with an added B").

That's why I said this.

I always pronounce the letter separatey (so "Uh-Eh-Zer" in that case).

Same thing for Sacae actually (Suh-Kuh-Eh)

I...t would be btter to use the international phonetic system here, even if it needs some extra check up...

After pronouncing "Kjelle" wrong since the Awakening was localized, I may have figured out how to pronounce it correctly. According to my Norwegian phrase book, "kj" is pronounced like the "h" in "hue", so I suppose it'd be closer to "Khelle". I think.

Ike - Sometimes I can't help to call him ee-keh. It's pretty silly and it's not even that hard to pronounce his name, but it has something to do with my native language.

Sacae - suh-ka-e

Areone- Uh-ree-oh-ne

Kjelle - Kuh-el

Falchion - Fal-shon

Sleuf - Sloof

Ike - Sometimes I can't help to call him ee-keh. It's pretty silly and it's not even that hard to pronounce his name, but it has something to do with my native language.

Me too. I used to always call him that way because it has something to do with my native language. I only started calling him in the correct way after playing RD.