Professional Gamers get paid?

King Marth 64

I know this is totally serious out of the blue to anyone not noticed this type happened before, but someone did showed it to me a YouTube video today that he just found out that there are alot of Professional Gamers can get paid with higher money and it did happened before. This is a serious type of question I wanted to know that, does anyone might know if there's a real possibly way to know if that how did those guys get paid alot of money doing this type of gaming experience? I managed to see this video that really got surprised the heck out of me seeing this happened:

By the way, I did looked at in the search bar and I don't this type of topic was even posted in this site before.

Yeah this has been going on for quite a long time. These players are basically employees hired by professional teams to play and practice the game. Tournaments are set and there is prize money. This is a thing in general in games such as COD, Smash bros, and fighting games. So they basically get in with their skill level and they gey paid to play. Think of teams such as Optic and TSM. Think it was called MLG, but there might be other names for it. The people who hired them pay them to play a specific game and practice it on a daily basis.

Edited by Radiance

I know this is totally serious out of the blue to anyone not noticed this type happened before, but someone did showed it to me a YouTube video today that he just found out that there are alot of Professional Gamers can get paid with higher money and it did happened before. This is a serious type of question I wanted to know that, does anyone might know if there's a real possibly way to know if that how did those guys get paid alot of money doing this type of gaming experience? I managed to see this video that really got surprised the heck out of me seeing this happened:

By the way, I did looked at in the search bar and I don't this type of topic was even posted in this site before.

Radiance already explained a large part of it, but I think the reason why some of those salaries are so high, especially the ones for the Dota 2 players is that players are employed by certain organization (Fnatic, eHome, LGD, MVP, Navi, Evil Geniuses, etc.) One part of the players salaries comes from sponsorship deals and the other comes from tournament winnings, which is why the majority of this top 10 is made up of Dota 2 players, since it's currently the competitive game with the highest prize pools. The last International Dota 2 tournament for example had a total prize pool of 18.4M$, with the winning 5 player team leaving with 6.6M$.

Radiance already explained a large part of it, but I think the reason why some of those salaries are so high, especially the ones for the Dota 2 players is that players are employed by certain organization (Fnatic, eHome, LGD, MVP, Navi, Evil Geniuses, etc.) One part of the players salaries comes from sponsorship deals and the other comes from tournament winnings, which is why the majority of this top 10 is made up of Dota 2 players, since it's currently the competitive game with the highest prize pools. The last International Dota 2 tournament for example had a total prize pool of 18.4M$, with the winning 5 player team leaving with 6.6M$.

Oops forgot about sponsorships. Nice of you to post that.

Yeah this has been going on for quite a long time. These players are basically employees hired by professional teams to play and practice the game. Tournaments are set and there is prize money. This is a thing in general in games such as COD, Smash bros, and fighting games. So they basically get in with their skill level and they gey paid to play. Think of teams such as Optic and TSM. Think it was called MLG, but there might be other names for it. The people who hired them pay them to play a specific game and practice it on a daily basis.

It's just the managers hired alot of players for teams to play and compete for the tournaments? Wait so, it's the gamers only got the way to get enough money is by getting hired and that's just it? (I really thought that it could be some donations or paying from the event from other people for paying to see the gamer playing against another people or recorded stuff to show good gaming skills like for YouTube and stuff?)

Edited by King Marth 64

You do understand the meaning of the term 'professional', right? Yes, they're paid. It's treated like a sport, and you wouldn't see a professional footballer compiling a highlights reel up on YouTube with a link to his Patreon.

Edited by Parrhesia

It's just the managers hired alot of players for teams to play and compete for the tournaments? Wait so, it's the gamers only got the way to get enough money is by getting hired and that's just it? (I really thought that it could be some donations or paying from the event from other people for paying to see the gamer playing against another people or recorded stuff to show good gaming skills like for YouTube and stuff?)

Well some pro players might have their own youtube channel and Twitch. People can support their favorite players like this, so most players have their own Twitch or channel in general, but they get their big money from doing their job in competetive gaming. They usually stream their game or maybe even a random game to entertain people and fans. Both these apps have an option of donating to the user.

Edited by Radiance

They get a ton of money from sponsors, the game company itself etc. The sponsors will get their product advertised, example being Doritos and Mountain Dew, Razor or whatever the mouse/headgear company is called, etc. The game's owner sponsors because its advertisement for there game. It goes outside of the professional area too. Just look at the Youtubers like Pewdiepie, Markiplier, etc. They make money from sponsors and game companies aswell for the same reason. Pewdiepie averages 7 million views a week with all of his videos. That is a ton of advertisement for any game. Think of all the 12 year olds that will now go bug there parents to buy a game because they saw Pewdiepie play it on YouTube. That is where these guys are getting their money, sponsors, advertisement, hell even product placement.

They all get there in a similar way too, Live Streams. Both Youtubers and MLG gamers get themselves out there by buying a camera, a mic, and just start streaming on Twitch or Playstation or whatever other streaming services there are.

For the people who make a living through donations and stuff (which is way harder than it sounds, so respect them), keep in mind that how entertaining they are and how much they respect their audience counts for far more than how good they actually are at their game. You're not earning money by playing a game, you're earning money by entertaining people by playing a game.

People who play for pro teams are basically just like people who play physical sports at the very top. They just have less of a risk of career-ending injuries.

In some instances, a popular player who streams on Twitch and has thousands of viewers every time he is on live will earn literally thousands of dollars a month.

Quite a few League of Legends pros have quit over the years, and many of them are still making a good salary from streaming.

I imagine the ones who actually earn money efficiently are all at the top though. The amount of time you'd need to invest to earn money as a pro gamer would almost never be worth it unless you were in the top percentile.

Not exactly the same thing, but companies also pay players to test games essentially being paid salary for playing games. They're not professional gamers per say, just video game testers, but more or less the same sort thing. To test games there's not necessarily a skill thresh hold like there is when competing or trying to make money via streams.