Do you think we will ever get a JRPG that parodies other JRPGs?

IceBrand

There are a lot of JRPGs that are light hearted and not super edgy. I wouldn't consider most JRPG's to be edgy, actually.

Pfft, undertale in a shellnut, though in a bit darker of a way.

toby fox is not japanese

although undertale does parody a lot of jrpg things

Edited by maybe

toby fox is not japanese

although undertale does parody a lot of jrpg things

Why are you defining jrpg by the actual nationalty of the developers? It seems to me to make much more sense to define a genera as a collection of tropes and mechanics, then it does to define it by where the developers happen to live. The same applies WRPGs that happen to be developed by Japanese companies. (would you seriously call Dark Souls a JRPG just because From Software happens to be based in japan?)

"Citizens of Earth" is another lighthearted parody game that is a jrpg by my definition.

Yeah, this concept goes back to the original Mother from 1989. Mother's big twist was taking the sword and sorcery Dragon Quest III... and putting it in edge-of-the-nineties Eagleland. And then if you wanted a repeat performance, Earthbound, which played as a contemplation on what makes an RPG. Fourth wall breaking jokes (Please don't step on the flowers), a dungeon builder who eventually turns himself into a dungeon, hell even the ending involves you the player stepping in to defeat Giygas because it's a video game, of course you gotta win.

The Mario RPGs also tended to play out like this, with winks and nods at the audience on what was going on, but they have been getting less so in recent installments.

Mario RPGs more so parody the Mario series itself I think.

Kingdom Hearts

I disagree. The concept of Kingdom Hearts sounds like a parody, but it takes itself way too seriously for what it is.

Every single one that incorporates fandom pandering.

Those, and FF13.

If you do not believe that FF13 is paroding JRPGs, then explain "Hope", and the nomenclature applied to him.

If FFXIII is parody, then it's the kind of parody that just plays the joke straight and hopes the sheer number of genre specific faults will constitute a joke.

Which I cannot buy, because FFXIII has none of the self-awareness required for that. It's a tech demo for corridor RPGs, a rare combination of Corridor Shooter and RPG, which showed why that is uncommon.

Shame too, because the Square of auld had a lot of great tech demo games, such as Parasite Eve and....

Just Parasite Eve.

If FFXIII is parody, then it's the kind of parody that just plays the joke straight and hopes the sheer number of genre specific faults will constitute a joke.

Which I cannot buy, because FFXIII has none of the self-awareness required for that. It's a tech demo for corridor RPGs, a rare combination of Corridor Shooter and RPG, which showed why that is uncommon.

Shame too, because the Square of auld had a lot of great tech demo games, such as Parasite Eve and....

Just Parasite Eve.

IF FFXIII is a pardy, then FFX is a

Dungeon Travelers 2 is a "recent" game, and is clearly a parody (it has some of the funnier Tutorials I saw at least).

It even parody it's own fanservice setting (It has sexy fruits.)

Every single one that incorporates fandom pandering.

Those, and FF13.

If you do not believe that FF13 is paroding JRPGs, then explain "Hope", and the nomenclature applied to him.

If FFXIII is a parody, then FFX is one too.

But no one (in game at least) seems to realize how much of a joke/clown Tidus is, so...

The Paper Mario series is typically very lighthearted, but not a parody. The Thousand Year Door avoids many of the pitfalls of RPGs, but doesn't poke fun at them so much as it provides its own humor.