do you think the localization will add dank memes?

maybe

actual question, do you think localization will add memes

we all know nintendo likes their dank memes, so I'm curious whether or not they'll put some in this game

I want to say no but treehouse is doing it so there's a pretty good chance it will be somewhere

Edited by maybe

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but hopefully they don't go overboard. One or two done well can be funny but Treehouse likes memeing a bit too much.

As far as the team that did Awakening I kind of felt some of the dialogue felt a bit too contemporary, if that makes sense. But ideally Treehouse would avoid that as well. Considering the setting.

NOA is bad with this. NOE is a bit more subtle but still does it.

I prefer the NOE approach by a long mile: subtle and fits the scene. I fear NOA will put in shit like rare pepes or something. After all it's a way to pander to a certain crowd.

As long as its not super outdated trollalalala XD >that feel when!!!!!!! I'm fine. I'd hope it'd be subtle enough to go over most people's heads and actually match the scenario.

Not to be that guy but if they put in current memes it will still be outdated in a few years.

I have flashbacks of Phoenix Wright 2 and 3's translations...bleh.

Bring on the memes. I enjoy seeing new takes on Japanese scripts. I don't enjoy direct translations very much. I love it when a little flavor is added.

Ironically, neither the X/Y or Tri Force Heroes thing bother me. D/P has a ton of Something Awful references and B2/W2 has an Airplane reference. Final Fantasy IV Advance also referenced Something Awful. Link's Awakening referenced Disco Inferno. Ace Attorney 3 referenced 300. Final Fantasy V Advance referenced The Simpsons. Xenoblade added British terms like mollycoddling, which isn't a meme but is still something not in the Japanese version.

Anyone complaining about references needs to look back even to 25 years ago. They've existed for longer than the Treehouse. I especially love the ones in Ace Attorney. They added a lot based on Japanese jokes that wouldn't translate well. I actually look forward to seeing memes or other pop culture references. A straight translation is pretty boring.

^ Well it's not like one or two will kill the game but I feel like Awakening is made up of memes. Buuut of course this is why I have the Japanese version because I always take straight translation (or pretty close) or no translation.

^ Well it's not like one or two will kill the game but I feel like Awakening is made up of memes. Buuut of course this is why I have the Japanese version because I always take straight translation (or pretty close) or no translation.

I'm not following you. Awakening has almost no memes or even pop culture references whatsoever, and any that exist come from Henry IIRC. I think he says something about "this one time at Mage Camp" or something, and that's about it. He also asks Cordelia if she has a case of the "bloody Mondays" which is... something. Otherwise, you have stuff like Ribald Tales of the Faith War that is just cute references to stuff like other FE games.

I'm of the opposite opinion translation-wise. Pokemon, EarthBound, and Ace Attorney are all series with a massive amount of liberties taken, and they have my favorite localizations. I find Gen VI's references refreshing. EarthBound would not be what it is today without the US script having such an excellent head. Transliterations seem to end up feeling stiff. Final Fantasy VI is known for it's Woolsey-isms. It made Kefka so beloved. Who can forget "son of a submariner?"

I'm not following you. Awakening has almost no memes or even pop culture references whatsoever, and any that exist come from Henry IIRC.

Inigo references The Princess Bride, IIRC. There's definitely others, too. Feel free to browse through the trivia pages of Awakening characters to see. :p Wish I could remember who specifically referenced what, though.

Most likely. NoA has been doing this for the past decade or so (See: FFV Advance and the "Attack its weak point for massive damage" reference)

Even Awakening had Frederick say "My body is ready!"

I just hope NoA decides to be a bit more subtle this time around, but they likely won't :/

^FFV wasn't a Nintendo localization but a Square Enix one

Inigo references The Princess Bride, IIRC. There's definitely others, too. Feel free to browse through the trivia pages of Awakening characters to see. :p Wish I could remember who specifically referenced what, though.

yes that is true but the princess bride is a great movie so it's okay

I'm still in support though. I'd love it if Lazward's name was localized as Montoya tbh

Edited by Miss Kira

It's actually F!Robin who references it in one of her supports with Inigo IIRC.

Also Gregor referencing Castlevania II and GI Joe in different supports.

It's actually F!Robin who references it in one of her supports with Inigo IIRC.

Also Gregor referencing Castlevania II and GI Joe in different supports.

Inigo refers to the maiden as Buttercup, and I know that references something, but because I like to stay in my own little bubble and never consume media ever, I can't remember. I'm too nervous to go to Inigo's wiki page because

[spoiler=character spoils but who doesnt know this by now]its merged with Lazward's and i dont want to be spoiled on things that happen in Fates.

NoA? Most likely.

NoE? Probably not.

Considering the English translation was the same for all versions of Awakening (minus spelling differences), precedence states that the English translation will be NOA's. Voice acting is probably a key reason why.

Also, why is this even a question? Of course there's going to be one or two references. I have a feeling that if you scour the Japanese version, you'll find a couple as well. It's nothing to whine about- wait it's the internet nvm.

Inigo refers to the maiden as Buttercup, and I know that references something, but because I like to stay in my own little bubble and never consume media ever, I can't remember. I'm too nervous to go to Inigo's wiki page because

[spoiler=character spoils but who doesnt know this by now]its merged with Lazward's and i dont want to be spoiled on things that happen in Fates.

I know he refers to a maiden as Buttercup in his paralogue IIRC, also F!Robin says "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means" or something to that effect

I'm not following you. Awakening has almost no memes or even pop culture references whatsoever, and any that exist come from Henry IIRC. I think he says something about "this one time at Mage Camp" or something, and that's about it. He also asks Cordelia if she has a case of the "bloody Mondays" which is... something. Otherwise, you have stuff like Ribald Tales of the Faith War that is just cute references to stuff like other FE games.

awakening has a pretty large amount of references

it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but it just seems silly when characters seem to be making actual references to books or movies that shouldn't exist at the time

for example, laurent says something along the lines of "Is this a riddle? Are you going to ask me what's in your pocket next?"

Also, why is this even a question? Of course there's going to be one or two references. I have a feeling that if you scour the Japanese version, you'll find a couple as well. It's nothing to whine about- wait it's the internet nvm.

because I felt like seeing what people would think

there's no harm in seeing what people are expecting or just what their thoughts are

i agree that there will definitely be some references, though I'm still curious

Edited by maybe

Right, I can't remember all of the references because I played it like one and a half times forever ago but I couldn't take it seriously at all and because the memes are everywhere, it just feels so outdated that I can barely go back to play it without cringing.

awakening has a pretty large amount of references

it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but it just seems silly when characters seem to be making actual references to books or movies that shouldn't exist at the time

for example, laurent says something along the lines of "Is this a riddle? Are you going to ask me what's in your pocket next?"

because I felt like seeing what people would think

there's no harm in seeing what people are expecting or just what their thoughts are

That was 8-4. 8-4=/=NOA.

Was there any reference in Triforce Heroes besides the doge meme? Because if not, I don't see what the fuss is about.

Right, I can't remember all of the references because I played it like one and a half times forever ago but I couldn't take it seriously at all and because the memes are everywhere, it just feels so outdated that I can barely go back to play it without cringing.

I was wrong, but you are seriously misusing the term meme. Memes are typically a certain subset of things. You mean pop culture references. There is a difference. Adding a line from a movie is completely different from le Mudkipz and Doge.

I was wrong, but you are seriously misusing the term meme. Memes are typically a certain subset of things. You mean pop culture references. There is a difference. Adding a line from a movie is completely different from le Mudkipz and Doge.

Ah you're right, I apologize for that.