do you think the localization will add dank memes?

maybe

That was 8-4. 8-4=/=NOA.

Was there any reference in Triforce Heroes besides the doge meme? Because if not, I don't see what the fuss is about.

yeah, I'm aware 8-4 did Awakening and are not doing fates, although for some reason the topic just got to "what references Awakening has"

awakening has a ridiculous amount of movie, book, and video game references, although how out of place they are varies at times

I've played or seen parts of enough of games localized by 8-4 to know that their translations don't seem to have many references or memes (or at least ones that I'm aware of) (apparently the ninja turtles reference in metal gear rising was actually in the japanese version too?), but awakening has quite a few

i'm not sure if triforce heroes itself had any other references, but I think that one just got to people because of how old it was

Right, I can't remember all of the references because I played it like one and a half times forever ago but I couldn't take it seriously at all and because the memes are everywhere, it just feels so outdated that I can barely go back to play it without cringing.

although awakening's are mostly just references, there are plenty of things that could be considered memes, although they're a lot less noticeable so I wouldn't call it much of a problem there

although I can understand why all the references would bother you, since there are a LOT of them

Edited by maybe

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love my stories to be as compelling as possible, a pop culture reference every now and then isn't a bad thing - as long as it's not super-blatant. If I can read it, not know the reference, and not be jarred out of the story, it's perfectly fine!

Still. . .dank memes? For someone who's against memes in video games, you have no issues putting them as a thread title. . .

As much as I love my stories to be as compelling as possible, a pop culture reference every now and then isn't a bad thing - as long as it's not super-blatant. If I can read it, not know the reference, and not be jarred out of the story, it's perfectly fine!

Still. . .dank memes? For someone who's against memes in video games, you have no issues putting them as a thread title. . .

oh I'm not completely against them

I think it's dumb having them but it can be okay if it's not terrible and is in a game where it makes sense

it even initially said "note: I have nothing against memes in video games" but I edited it out because I do have something against it if it's bad

i don't hate memes if they're actually funny and not terrible, basically

I think references to pop culture or other works of fiction is fine, provided it makes sense in context. I can think of a legitimate context for "my body is ready" but "I can haz cheeseburger" is going to stick out no matter where it is. It's the difference between clever writing and childish inserts.

I think that was intentional irony.

Um. hm.

Henry had a few references. ("this one time at mage camp" was it?)

Frederick also says "my body is ready" IIRC. I expect to see maybe a couple in Fates.

I think that if they fit normally they're fine, if they don't fit with the tone, then eh.

Edited by L95

Anyone complaining about references needs to look back even to 25 years ago. They've existed for longer than the Treehouse. I especially love the ones in Ace Attorney. They added a lot based on Japanese jokes that wouldn't translate well. I actually look forward to seeing memes or other pop culture references. A straight translation is pretty boring.

Yeah right, filling a script with memes, exaggeration and pop culture references truly enriches it and it's a sign of good writing, that is why Working Design was among the most praised translation groups.

I'm of the opposite opinion translation-wise. Pokemon, EarthBound, and Ace Attorney are all series with a massive amount of liberties taken, and they have my favorite localizations. I find Gen VI's references refreshing. EarthBound would not be what it is today without the US script having such an excellent head. Transliterations seem to end up feeling stiff. Final Fantasy VI is known for it's Woolsey-isms. It made Kefka so beloved. Who can forget "son of a submariner?"

There's difference in taking liberties and bad writing. Memes and pop culture references are not a good way to make a script better, it's a cheap way to be funny.

I can deal with a few of them, but when there's an abdundance, it's crap, it becomes obnoxious instead of amusing.

Taking liberties is also necessary if you want the script to flow well and still want to keep its original meaning. Adding memes and references is not necessary at all, and while it might fit certain games, in others it ruins the tone.

And sorry but comparing Xenoblade's british terms to memes or references is silly: Xenoblade's translation was made in England and it makes sense that it uses words like "Bugger", "Mollycoddling", etc. You could say instead of how an NPC says "For great justice.". But notice something here: it's an NPC. When memes are added to more serious or even normal moments, it really ruins it.

In Sacred Stones, Valter was completely ruined for me when he said "I hunger!" during his start battle quote.

Not to mention, as I said, old memes are cringe worthy to read in older translations.

Depends. For one I love pop culture references and I hope they put some in there if the mood is fitting enough... or funny enough, maybe.

I don't see much the harm in it unless they have Pieri acting like she constantly surfs the internet.

oh no the headcanons are happening

I don't see much the harm in it unless they have Pieri acting like she constantly surfs the internet.

oh no the headcanons are happening

Pieri is from 2009 deviantArt era and would badly draw emo scene warrior cats in gorey scenarios and had 20 different neon colored scene fursonas and always used XD and would post about how she was taking hiatuses only to return like a day later. I remember those years fondly, and I actually know someone who is still living like this.

Yeah right, filling a script with memes, exaggeration and pop culture references truly enriches it and it's a sign of good writing, that is why Working Design was among the most praised translation groups.

There's difference in taking liberties and bad writing. Memes and pop culture references are not a good way to make a script better, it's a cheap way to be funny.

I can deal with a few of them, but when there's an abdundance, it's crap, it becomes obnoxious instead of amusing.

Taking liberties is also necessary if you want the script to flow well and still want to keep its original meaning. Adding memes and references is not necessary at all, and while it might fit certain games, in others it ruins the tone.

And sorry but comparing Xenoblade's british terms to memes or references is silly: Xenoblade's translation was made in England and it makes sense that it uses words like "Bugger", "Mollycoddling", etc. You could say instead of how an NPC says "For great justice.". But notice something here: it's an NPC. When memes are added to more serious or even normal moments, it really ruins it.

In Sacred Stones, Valter was completely ruined for me when he said "I hunger!" during his start battle quote.

Not to mention, as I said, old memes are cringe worthy to read in older translations.

That was quite a leap in logic up there with the Working Designs thing. Ace Attorney Dual Destinies has references to 50 Shades of Gray, Sharknado, the afformentioned SPARDA thing again (which doubles as a Devil May Cry reference), and probably more stuff I'm missing. case 5-2 accurately predicted the Yo-Kai craze in Japan

Do these references ruin the game? I'd hardly think so. The bulk of the game is the same. Trials and Tribulations had a Harlem Shake joke at least 6 years before the meme even started. Ace Attorney is known for the charming script changes. Setting the game in Los Angeles was a major change from the Japanese version.

Majora's Mask 3D in Germany iirc has a hipster reference, and the less said about Link's Awakening's German version the better (buzz blobs omg). I'm finding it hard to believe that it ruins a game to reference pop culture and memes. If you want to talk dated, look at Pokemon Gen IV with it's SA references (I legitimately have no idea why so many translators had a SA fetish tbh).

I brought up the British terms because they aren't in the Japanese version. Some people on the internet seem to be obsessed with just making a straight translation instead of adding flare like Xenoblade did.

As a whole, games that bring up Something Awful are the only things that really make no sense. I have otherwise never been bothered by any references as a whole. I know a work is fiction and seeing real life being references does not remove me in any way.

Pieri is from 2009 deviantArt era and would badly draw emo scene warrior cats in gorey scenarios and had 20 different neon colored scene fursonas and always used XD and would post about how she was taking hiatuses only to return like a day later. I remember those years fondly, and I actually know someone who is still living like this.

I want this to happen. This can be the only "dank meme" in the game. Please Nintendo.

My general rule of thumb is, if you can notice the meme or reference without having viewed the source material (ie, if it comes across as "odd" or out of place), then it is not appropriate. so, I don't like the Doge meme in triforce heros, but am fine with "you keep using that word", because IIRC, they import the entier "inconcievable" joke, so it does not feel out of place to someone who is out of the loop, because they can just enjoy the joke as a joke.

Edited by sirmola

I mean, the line in Triforce Heroes is pretty dumb, but for a game that doesn't take itself seriously in the slightest, I can deal. The thought of it being in the game at all makes me chuckle, and I prefer NoA's localization over NoE's just for that.

Fire Emblem is a pretty serious game, so unless it's in context (like a silly support conversation) you won't see any memes. Also, I liked the "over 9000" joke in Pokemon. :)

If it flows well with the text enough that I don't notice it, then I don't care. Didn't even notice Freddy's Reggie reference till I reread the support. I'm perfectly fine with pop culture references if they're written naturally too.

Kamui: Aqua, what does the crystal say about Ryouma's power level?

Aqua: *crushes crystal ball* IT'S OVER NINE-THOUSAND!

Yeah.

Kamui: Aqua, what does the crystal say about Ryouma's power level?

Aqua: *crushes crystal ball* IT'S OVER NINE-THOUSAND!

Yeah.

What does the crystal say about this game's plot contrivances?*

If it flows well with the text enough that I don't notice it, then I don't care. Didn't even notice Freddy's Reggie reference till I reread the support. I'm perfectly fine with pop culture references if they're written naturally too.

Same thing with Brady and his reference to Cid Highwind from Final Fantasy VII.

wait wait WHAT

I must have missed this. He makes a reference to Cid?

You'd have missed it if you blinked. It's in his C support with whomever his father is. It's one of those that MAY or may not be a reference, but I'm willing to bet that it is

HzhC3HX.jpg

Edited by Bullwine85

That was quite a leap in logic up there with the Working Designs thing. Ace Attorney Dual Destinies has references to 50 Shades of Gray, Sharknado, the afformentioned SPARDA thing again (which doubles as a Devil May Cry reference), and probably more stuff I'm missing. case 5-2 accurately predicted the Yo-Kai craze in Japan

Do these references ruin the game? I'd hardly think so. The bulk of the game is the same. Trials and Tribulations had a Harlem Shake joke at least 6 years before the meme even started. Ace Attorney is known for the charming script changes. Setting the game in Los Angeles was a major change from the Japanese version.

Majora's Mask 3D in Germany iirc has a hipster reference, and the less said about Link's Awakening's German version the better (buzz blobs omg). I'm finding it hard to believe that it ruins a game to reference pop culture and memes. If you want to talk dated, look at Pokemon Gen IV with it's SA references (I legitimately have no idea why so many translators had a SA fetish tbh).

I brought up the British terms because they aren't in the Japanese version. Some people on the internet seem to be obsessed with just making a straight translation instead of adding flare like Xenoblade did.

As a whole, games that bring up Something Awful are the only things that really make no sense. I have otherwise never been bothered by any references as a whole. I know a work is fiction and seeing real life being references does not remove me in any way.

You just kept on posting which translations used memes and references without really proving anything against my point.

Straight translations are not very good but as I said, using memes and references is not funny for everyone and it will get ridicously stale in less than 2 years.

Also the thing I said about Working Designs was sarcasm.

As I said before, it ruins the game if it doesn't fit the scene or the tone. Imagine if in Xenoblade people started using memes in the main script, maybe even during a serious scene. That would ruin it, for me, honestly.

And back to Xenoblade, if anything that is not in the original game is flare then so would be an English-American translation using "Dude" and "Tubular" at every turn.

I refuse to accept British-English as flare, it's incredibly USA-centric to think so. British-English terms could be used in a direct translation as much as English-American ones.

At this point I guess anything written in the UK is already peppered with peculiar, far-from-the-norm text. Colour me surprised.

You'd have missed it if you blinked. It's in his C support with whomever his father is. It's one of those that MAY or may not be a reference, but I'm willing to bet that it is

HzhC3HX.jpg

Yeah I completely missed that. Wow. 10/10 Brady, you're now one of my most favorite kids.

Just as long as it doesn't stick out of the text, I don't really mind. I didn't notice many of Awakening's references, I only recognized SMTIV's "don't taze me bro!" reference because I remembered that meme and it otherwise fit completely in the context of the character, and I didn't even notice FFV's TMNT reference when I first played it. As long as it's natural, it's fine, and I'm not too concerned about it.

I will concede that Triforce Heroes' Doge meme reference stuck out like a sore thumb, though as said before, the game is silly in tone anyway and I doubt they'd go for something as blatant as that in a more serious game.

Edited by Medeus