do you think the localization will add dank memes?

maybe

Yeah right, filling a script with memes, exaggeration and pop culture references truly enriches it and it's a sign of good writing, that is why Working Design was among the most praised translation groups.

...Did you even read the example given?

There were already Japanese memes and references in the original Ace Attorney, which the localization changed to English ones because they wouldn't translate.

Adding them willy-nilly is unprofessional and just stupid, but doing it on occasion to replace cultural references there makes sense.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Did you even read the example given?

There were already Japanese memes and references in the original Ace Attorney, which the localization changed to English ones because they wouldn't translate.

Adding them willy-nilly is unprofessional and just stupid, but doing it on occasion to replace cultural references there makes sense.

Did I say that example was a wrong way to use it? I don't think I did. I said that exaggerating it is wrong.

Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney 1 did it very well, but Justice for All, for example, did overdo it, IMO; the clown was all about memes, and it was obnoxious instead of funny.

And his original post did not mention how the series in Japanese had references and memes that only Japanese people would understand, he said:

They added a lot based on Japanese jokes that wouldn't translate well.

These jokes could also include puns and word plays.

I don't want to extrapolate Phoenix Wright's script in both languages and do a 1/1 comparison now though.

Moe was intentionally annoying. I hated Turnabout Big Top, but not because it had The Fresh Clown of Bel-Air and The C Team. If anything it made an awful case more bearable.

i actually hated Ben, Trilo, and Regina way more than Moe but meh

Dropping a couple of timeless dank memes in a funzie DLC map isnt gonna bug me. I highly doubt im going to see a bunch of memetic shit in Fates anyway. Pop culture references and memes are not the same things, so i dont know how people are getting them confused. Putting in some good references that are actually tricky to spot right away, is sign of good localization.

Dropping a couple of timeless dank memes in a funzie DLC map isnt gonna bug me. I highly doubt im going to see a bunch of memetic shit in Fates anyway. Pop culture references and memes are not the same things, so i dont know how people are getting them confused. Putting in some good references that are actually tricky to spot right away, is sign of good localization.

Memes are part of pop culture too.

Memes are part of pop culture too.

Pop culture references are specific scenes or dialogue taken from other works of fiction. Memes are just anything that became popular in a specific community. Lines from popular fiction can become memes but that doesn't mean all memes are pop culture. If Lazwald said in the localization "I'm gar for Xander", that would be a meme, not a pop culture reference.

I don't think a few references here or there will hurt, like adding a "my body is ready" joke in Pokémon or Fire Emblem. However, if you add too many, or make references to things that are simply fads, then the game will age must faster as a result.

Pop culture references are specific scenes or dialogue taken from other works of fiction. Memes are just anything that became popular in a specific community. Lines from popular fiction can become memes but that doesn't mean all memes are pop culture. If Lazwald said in the localization "I'm gar for Xander", that would be a meme, not a pop culture reference.

Seems like nitpicking a bit. Aren't memes still part of pop culture?

Seriously? They are a part of pop culture, but are you seriously comparing the Doge to a freaking LotR reference like Laurent's riddle comment? Is "My body is ready" really the same as a "Go ahead, make my day!"

No they are not. Its not fucking nitpicking, memes are not the same as referencing an extremely famous body of work. Your gramma isnt going to understand an "Over 9000!" joke. But she sure as hell is gonna notice if someone is quoting Gone With The Wind.

I guess that depends on how you define pop culture. Memes are only known amongst the communities they circulated in and their comedic value is short lived. Pop culture references are relevant to any who has seen the media and won't diminish in value until the media it references is forgotten.

If Kamui is traveling through the Devil's Bog and mentions to Lilith being concerned about encountering "rodents of unusual size", people familiar with "The Princess Bride" will get the reference. The reference will only lose its power when people are no longer familiar with its source. If Kamui mentions that the Yato's power level must be "over 9000", that's a meme that only some people on the internet will understand and a smaller number will find funny.

Long story short, people might be okay with pop culture references but not memes because memes don't age well.

Seriously? They are a part of pop culture, but are you seriously comparing the Doge to a freaking LotR reference like Laurent's riddle comment? Is "My body is ready" really the same as a "Go ahead, make my day!"

No they are not. Its not fucking nitpicking, memes are not the same as referencing an extremely famous body of work. Your gramma isnt going to understand an "Over 9000!" joke. But she sure as hell is gonna notice if someone is quoting Gone With The Wind.

I would've understood your point just as well if you weren't so rude. Your tone really left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I guess that depends on how you define pop culture. Memes are only known amongst the communities they circulated in and their comedic value is short lived. Pop culture references are relevant to any who has seen the media and won't diminish in value until the media it references is forgotten.

If Kamui is traveling through the Devil's Bog and mentions to Lilith being concerned about encountering "rodents of unusual size", people familiar with "The Princess Bride" will get the reference. The reference will only lose its power when people are no longer familiar with its source. If Kamui mentions that the Yato's power level must be "over 9000", that's a meme that only some people on the internet will understand and a smaller number will find funny.

Long story short, people might be okay with pop culture references but not memes because memes don't age well.

I see, thank you. Although I'm still a bit iffy on this because both things require you to know something beforehand to understand them.

Plus memes are becoming more and more part of pop culture... but I guess they just don't have the lasting power of referencing famous movie lines or books.

I would've understood your point just as well if you weren't so rude. Your tone really left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Perhaps i would have sounded nicer if you didnt come off as being deliberately obtuse about the subject. Either way, sorry about that.

Perhaps i would have sounded nicer if you didnt come off as being deliberately obtuse about the subject. Either way, sorry about that.

Well I am legit obtuse on the subject, also because even if my english is good (I GUESS THIS IS DEBATABLE) there are still some nuances that I don't understand (such as what is engulfed by the term "pop culture"), plus my wording is bad sometimes.

But it's alright, don't worry, I guess it's hard to put up with my bs...

CrimeanRoyalKnight was correct about pop culture references and memes requiring supplemental knowledge, aka familiarity, to be able to appreciate. Nothing wrong with examining the similarities between them in a discussion of what people mind and don't mind seeing in localizations.

I bet you're obtuse in Italian!

Well I am legit obtuse on the subject, also because even if my english is good (I GUESS THIS IS DEBATABLE) there are still some nuances that I don't understand (such as what is engulfed by the term "pop culture"), plus my wording is bad sometimes.

But it's alright, don't worry, I guess it's hard to put up with my bs...

Ahh its ok. Im not in the best of moods today tbh. Its misunderstanding. My fault for not realizing English isnt your first language.

CrimeanRoyalKnight was correct about pop culture references and memes requiring supplemental knowledge, aka familiarity, to be able to appreciate. Nothing wrong with examining the similarities between them in a discussion of what people mind and don't mind seeing in localizations.

I bet you're obtuse in Italian!

Yeah but theres a huge breadth between memes and what people learn from wide spread osmosis. Like you can never have seen Star Wars and know the famous "Luke, I am your father" business and where it comes from. The same cant be said of All Your Base. (although that one is beginning to transcend memedom)

Now when we start talking more about gaming references and memes, things get hella muddier. Gaming references are actually a smaller reference pool by miles. So sometimes, the line between such gets blurred.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not following you. Awakening has almost no memes or even pop culture references whatsoever,

I'm sorry, did you play the same game did? There are blogs dedicated to pointing out the references and memes in the American version.

I'll stick with Nihon-ban geemu without all the memes, thank you very much.

Corrin gives Senzu beans to fallen units which explains phoenix mode.

Ryouma: Corrin, quick! Give a Senzu to heal Mother.

Corrin: What, do you think I'm just giving these away? 'Cause I'm not.

Ryouma: *Stares in disbelief*

Corrin: Um, I think I'll go join Nohr now.

Ryouma:*Continues to stare*

Corrin:Uh, yeah, bye.