Just a correction on the "Yato" Japanese pronunciation

shadowofchaos

I know some people prefer the Japanese names and stuff... and got used to "Yatogami" when referring to Fire Emblem Cipher cards...

And some people just use "Yato" because localization and stuff.

夜刀神

But it is "Yatonokami", not "Yatogami":

tumblr_o1g6ep18dl1rmzb08o1_640.png

Edited by shadowofchaos

My understanding of kanji is that they have set readings and you can't just throw in extra characters. For 夜 Ya 刀 Tou 神 Gami (Kami), the first two kanji use their 'on' reading and the last has its 'kun' reading. So is there some kind of precedent for particles to be included in the pronunciation of kanji compounds, even if there is no kanji that has the reading?

EDIT: I did some internet sleuthing and two other series (K and Date a Live) have characters with the name 夜刀神 and both use the "Yatogami" reading. Even the wiki for Yato no Kami has the 'no' particle written out, even when the kanji is used. Even if the full name of the sword is "Yato no kami", I still think Yatogami is the correct reading for the way it's written in Kanji.

Edited by NekoKnight

EDIT: I did some internet sleuthing and two other series (K and Date a Live) have characters with the name 夜刀神 and both use the "Yatogami" reading. Even the wiki for Yato no Kami has the 'no' particle written out, even when the kanji is used. Even if the full name of the sword is "Yato no kami", I still think Yatogami is the correct reading for the way it's written in Kanji.

tumblr_inline_o1gs6n9sG61rb9mmp_540.png

You can't question it when the text there, Ryouma in the smash trailer, AND Sakurai in the smash presentation say "Yatonokami".

Edited by shadowofchaos

your understanding is somewhat incorrect. for example, in the surname 井上, neither kanji is supposed to have a の, but it's pronounced that way.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ateji for similar concepts.

I see, that's interesting. Still, it's strange how 夜刀神 can be read as both Yato no Kami and Yatogami, depending on the intention of the writer. I guess the "rules" of correct kanji usage are more fluid than I thought. It's probably telling that they wrote the furigana for the Smash trailer.

Edited by NekoKnight