Localization Info Topic

VincentASM

Its was localized because Japan and I believe some other Asian countries are more about physical contact (like skinship, though this game isn't an accurate representation). In the original its just a trope but for NA its just safer to remove it because some people might think of it as child abuse.

I was talking to ammie the other day about it, and apparently in Japan punching your kid in the face in the media is a common trope in parental-child-bonding time (I knew about corporeal punishment in Asia not being a big deal considering I grew up in China, but not that trope) and has a vastly different connotation in Japan than America. If the original was kept in this case, it would not have read the same way it did in Japan. This is a good example of localization based on cultural values.

Actually now that I remember, in Chinese period dramas, it's a common-if rather strict and severe, but otherwise normal and not considered abuse punishment, to take a big stick and beat your kid's ass with it 20 times. This would definitely not fly in north america.

Edit: http://ammie-plays-fe14.tumblr.com/post/139880523277/its-probably-a-cultural-difference-of

Edited by Thor Odinson

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed a small snip and fill in line in Shiro and Rhajat's B-rank support conversation. He said that you'll go thin and weak if you don't eat meat like chicken, but then added that Rhajat looks to be an exception to the rule. The awkward silence between the two and Shiro quickly adding that she should try what he cooked got me to look up the Japanese script. The Japanese script had Shiro say that girls won't get bigger breasts if they don't eat meat. He then tried to smooth the situation over by saying that Rhajat doesn't have to worry about that, essentially having him talk about how big her breasts are two times.

• 1 month later...

He voiced all three and yet he doesn't know their names?

outside of Matthew Mercer and according to Rena Stober none of them knew the names of the characters they were voicing