Localization Info Topic

VincentASM

That's wrong though. If you are talking about the game as a whole, then the removal of skinship, a large portion of the games audio files(people who have compared the data say it's over half), and the swimsuit removals, I think that's more than enough to say that this is not as faithful. If you are talking about the script, that is something different. While I haven't read and compared all four of the scripts to which is more faithful, I will say there are significant changes made from what I know. The gay supports being changed, the platonic relationships character personality changes(I already told you about effie),and some other things. The somewhat more minor changes add up. If you are correct about the script, and there were many more changes to awakening's script that I know of, the reason this came about is because of the aforementioned removal of content and larger install base. The removal of a significant amount of content has put people on edge and given them a bad impression of treehouse, and rightfully so. People don't tend to like changes for the sake of changes in the first place, and they are now looking for them even more because of their distrust in the localization team to maintain the creators original artistic vision. This is nintendo's fault.

Sure, "weebs" are a factor, but I think my reasoning is better.

Audio files can be chalked up the excision of skinship; of course grunts and references to being petted won't be dubbed. Anyway, I was referring to the actual translation (I've seen some estimates from people who've compared the scripts that every 3rd line was completely rewritten in Awakening).

And as far as actual translation goes, I could type up a wall of text addressing everything, but I'll just say this:

What you had with Awakening was a lot of people just playing the game, and people mostly overtime figured things out. What you have now are people who are rooting around looking for changes from the start. I'm neutral to pleased with most of the changes we know of; I'm kind of tired of people jumping the gun and complaining about every single little thing when they don't have the big picture yet. Most of the "big" changes have already been found out; I'm pretty sure it took several days after release for people to find the inklings that Henry was completely re-written, while we found out about Hisame's newly acquired pickle fetish within 24 hours of the text dump before the game's official release.

But really, at the end of the day the localization is a small topic that maybe .1% of fans actually even care about discussing and 99.9% don't give a damn about. I don't really have much else to add.

Edited by The DanMan

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Audio files can be chalked up the excision of skinship; of course grunts and references to being petted won't be dubbed. Anyway, I was referring to the actual translation (I've seen some estimates from people who've compared the scripts that every 3rd line was completely rewritten in Awakening).

Well duh, my point is that a lot is gone, and that's why people have become more observant. If what you say and heard is true, that is certainly news to me. I don't know if these changes were fr the better or worse, and don't know enough to whether they actually were significant. If they were, I don't know.

And as far as actual translation goes, I could type up a wall of text addressing everything, but I'll just say this:

What you had with Awakening was a lot of people just playing the game, and people mostly overtime figured things out. What you have now are people who are rooting around looking for changes from the start. I'm neutral to pleased with most of the changes we know of; I'm kind of tired of people jumping the gun and complaining about every single little thing when they don't have the big picture yet. Most of the "big" changes have already been found out; I'm pretty sure it took several days after release for people to find the inklings that Henry was completely re-written, while we found out about Hisame's newly acquired pickle fetish within 24 hours of the text dump before the game's official release.

The reason for that is because of what I already said. I dislike the changes that I currently know about, and from what I've seen, that's what most are complaining about. Not what they don't know yet. If you care less about things being changed, then fine.

But really, at the end of the day the localization is a small topic that maybe .1% of fans actually even care about discussing and 99.9% don't give a damn about. I don't really have much else to add.

I would like for more people to be informed about localization changes. It's because so many don't pay attention that companies make potentially bad changes that did not need to be made, or changes that try too hard to appeal to a broader audience and sacrifice quality or the original vision.I have a dream, that one day localization will not be so prudish and unaccepting of cultural differences and trying too hard to appease certain groups and stereotypical cultural views.

I have a dream that localization will just translate the damn game. Call me irrational.

Edited by Glyth

I have a dream, that one day localization will not be so prudish and unaccepting of cultural differences and trying too hard to appease certain groups and stereotypical cultural views.

I have a dream that localization will just translate the damn game. Call me irrational.

Totally off topic, but my favorite localization team is the one for FFXIV. (It is my favorite game, and my sig/avatar is my character lol.

Mainly because it's not just simply translating from Japanese to English, all four teams (Japanese, English, German, and French) actually work together and even create things in English first and translate to the other languages. Most of the time, all versions are faithful to each other, each may do it's own little thing with dialog. But they have fun with quest and achievement names on their own, that's where the puns and jokes mainly exist.

Here's a good read: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/281457

Ctrl + F to find: "Q: What does the localization team do, exactly?" and read from there, he goes into great detail.

Edited by Jacien

Totally off topic, but my favorite localization team is the one for FFXIV. (It is my favorite game, and my sig/avatar is my character lol.

Mainly because it's not just simply translating from Japanese to English, all four teams (Japanese, English, German, and French) actually work together and even create things in English first and translate to the other languages. Most of the time, all versions are faithful to each other, each may do it's own little thing with dialog.

Here's a good read: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/281457

Ctrl + F "Q: What does the localization team do, exactly?" and read from there, he goes into great detail.

I will clarify that I don't mean I want an literal translation and anything else is impure and evil. I'm not one of those people. I just want something faithful to the original. I also understand changing cultural references and jokes that would not be understood by just about anyone.

I'll probably read that later if I find it interesting.

Uh, that's exactly what I said.

I thought you were lecturing me about why sometimes changes are good, and giving me an example. I thought someone would misunderstand what I wrote and think I'm a purest or whatever they're called.

I have a theory as to why some of the names were shortened. Some of the characters have special weapons named after them, such as Kaze and Subaki. I believe that the names were shortened so that they could fit the name of the weapon in the name box.

It's just a theory though.

Is the localization that bad ?

From what I have seen and gathered overall for most part it's an okay if not a solid localization (or outright bad according to salty people). However, when you check the details of the localization and your mileage may vary (YMMV) comes into play it depends what you find acceptable and what not.

Since I'm still waiting for my EU release date I can't speak much other than my observation of what people have said over the net. Still I'm curious if EU ver of Fates will be largely the same as NA or not.

That's something you'll have to find out for yourself by researching what they changed. Both sides have their biases and will try to push their own views on others. People also have different standards and opinions, obviously. I personally think it's pretty bad from what I've seen.

Eh, it's hit or miss; I personally think it's a much better localization than Awakening, but it's really up to you to decide for yourself. For every questionable change there's a relatively solid one.

I suppose that depends on how invested you were in certain things. Personally, I think it's fairly solid. There are things I wish they hadn't removed or had added in, of course, but for the most part I like most of their work.

I have a localization nitpick. I feel like Treehouse literally pulled out a thesaurus just to change the Asset and Flaws to differently named Boon and Banes. Just... why?

No idea why it bothers me, but something just feels... off.

I have a localization nitpick. I feel like Treehouse literally pulled out a thesaurus just to change the Asset and Flaws to differently named Boon and Banes. Just... why?

I honestly have no idea what I chose for my Boon/Bane, just because I could not make the link between the adjectives and the actual stat. Its needlessly distressing for me.

IIRC, the Japanese version had it similar? Instead of Awakening's straight up mag, str, etc.

So I'm not really sure where to ask this, but...

Are Corrin and Azura still cousins by blood in the localization? I'm kinda curious to see how Treehouse handled that.

Can someone either confirm or deconfirm this or link me to a thread where this has already been discussed? Many thanks!

Edit: nvm found a thread already, hehe

Edited by Dyercen

idk if someone already posted this or not, and did i post in on wrong thread. but....

spoiler for Ryoma son anyway

so in Shiro paralogue JP Ver, there is a scene where Ryoma punch Shiro in his paralogue, but in NoA they removed it, there is no scene where Ryoma punch Shiro, Ryoma just lecture him about the bandit being dangerous etc, its not major like Belka, and Saizo C support.... but... its kinda sad maybe?

idk if someone already posted this or not, and did i post in on wrong thread. but....

spoiler for Ryoma son anyway

so in Shiro paralogue JP Ver, there is a scene where Ryoma punch Shiro in his paralogue, but in NoA they removed it, there is no scene where Ryoma punch Shiro, Ryoma just lecture him about the bandit being dangerous etc, its not major like Belka, and Saizo C support.... but... its kinda sad maybe?

Its was localized because Japan and I believe some other Asian countries are more about physical contact (like skinship, though this game isn't an accurate representation). In the original its just a trope but for NA its just safer to remove it because some people might think of it as child abuse.

Its was localized because Japan and I believe some other Asian countries are more about physical contact (like skinship, though this game isn't an accurate representation). In the original its just a trope but for NA its just safer to remove it because some people might think of it as child abuse.

That reminds me, does Jakob still punch Dwyer?

in their support conversation? Jakob still "abuse" Dwyer with his sharp-word anyway, still on C rank so idk, but Jakob sharp mouth its not sharp as in JP ver. based from Dwyer paralogue

heck in asia its normal for having a light abuse in family for "their sake" (as my parents said lol).

Also they change Rinka x Ryoma support, there is a scene where they said they love each other with blushing-angry face (being tsundere a little), but they remove it on NoA, Ryoma just comfort Rinka for being panicked by Ryoma confession :|

Edited by Genevie

in their support conversation? Jakob still "abuse" Dwyer with his sharp-word anyway, still on C rank so idk, but Jakob sharp mouth its not sharp as in JP ver. based from Dwyer paralogue

heck in asia its normal for having a light abuse in family for "their sake" (as my parents said lol).

Also they change Rinka x Ryoma support, there is a scene where they said they love each other with blushing-angry face (being tsundere a lilttle), but they remove in on NoA, Ryoma just comfort Rinka for being panicket by Ryoma confession :|

Yeah, I thought that was a little weird when I first saw it (it was in japanese, so I was like "why are they yelling at each other? I thought S supports were romantic). I wonder why they changed it though.

Yeah, I thought that was a little weird when I first saw it (it was in japanese, so I was like "why are they yelling at each other? I thought S supports were romantic). I wonder why they changed it though.

because Ryoma is love relationship-awkward?, and Rinka being like that its normal knowing her and her burn passion lol

welp the NoA team "almost totally" tampered JP original script, which is kinda sad to me