Lon'qu and Say'ri

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but do you find it weird that Lon'qu and Say'ri can't support with each other?

They are the only two people in your army who come Chon'sin (Yen'fay does as well, if he counts). I feel like it would make sense for them to have at least some interaction with each other.

The great problem is that Say'ri is a rushed character, literally she has just two supports (three in case of S-Support). Honestly it would been awesome to pair Lon'qu and Say'ri but... :\

It's sort of an issue with most FE games, where characters just fade into the background and become fodder not too long after their introduction. While Lon'qu must come from Chron'sin, I don't recall the game every making a thing about that.

Lon'qu's supports reveal that he came from Chon'sin, but he ran away after what happened to Ke'ri (the girl that he was friends with and couldn't save when she died). I think that's how it went, anyway.

It would've been nice if Say'ri had a support with him though. Heck, I don't even get why she can't support with Yen'fay.

Lon'qu's supports reveal that he came from Chon'sin, but he ran away after what happened to Ke'ri (the girl that he was friends with and couldn't save when she died). I think that's how it went, anyway.

It would've been nice if Say'ri had a support with him though. Heck, I don't even get why she can't support with Yen'fay.

I'd say the lack of support with her older brother is more irritating.

I'm fine with Lon'qu and Say'ri not being able to support. Perhaps they came from different clans, or she never met him while he was in Chon'sin. IMO, it would be like two strangers who happened to live out their childhoods in a big city or something.

Edited by eclipse

What I meant was that the party goes to Chron'sin for an arc and at no point do we see Lon'qu react to it. I guess this is where the Tellius base convos would have been cool.

Edited by Radiant head

What I meant was that the party goes to Chron'sin for an arc and at no point do we see Lon'qu react to it. I guess this is where the Tellius base convos would have been cool.

At no point do we see anyone react to anything past their recruitment bar Chrom, Robin, Lucina, Fred, Lissa, Say'ri, Sumia, and Lucina's mom (this even applies to Flavia and Basilio). This is definitely a shame, but also hardly unique to Lon'qu.

...Child Paralogues don't count.

The problem with that counter-argument is that there is more than just the two of them from Sacae. There are 5 different people from there and they can at least support with someone else from Sacae.

The problem is have with Lon'qu and Say'ri specifically. Is that they are the only ones from that country. And as Anacybele pointed out, Say'ri can't even support with her brother. I find it weird that none of them support at all.

Yeah it was kinda weird that Say'ri couldn't support Lon'qu, and it's weird she can't support Yen'fay!

Maybe cause they're Spotpass characters (terrible reason, but that's why)

Same reason why Chrom and Lissa can't support with Emmeryn, Aversa and Gangrel can't support, and I wanted a Chrom and Priam support. Screw Walhart

In regards to the main topic, it all comes down to the children for supports between the two genders. With the exception of Flavia and Basilio, the S-Support is there for children. (I know they themselves don't S-Support, but they can still support.) If no child was assigned to the parent, there's no support cause that's how life works, right?. So, since no child was assigned to Say'ri, she can only support with the Male Robin for a child.

Sometimes, story just gets in the way...

Edited by Power Master

I really hate this way of handling characters that are "Kamuisexuals". Not having kids, okay--but why can't we have more Basilio-Flavia esque A supports? Hell the A supports tend to be better because they don't need to halfway try to set up for a contrived romance at the end.

Not everyone needs to get married, but this level of support spread really hurts the characterizations of those unfortunate enough to be made kamuisexual.

The problem with that counter-argument is that there is more than just the two of them from Sacae. There are 5 different people from there and they can at least support with someone else from Sacae.

To be fair, I was only specifically pointing to these 2, so I don't consider the entire 5 from Sacae to be the factor lol. But that's beside the point.

Anyways, I don't see Say'ri not having a children of her own to be an issue, I mean what is he/she gonna be the next heir to Chon'sin...? Seems redundant imo.

Edited by Formerly Colm

Because Say'ri died in the original timeline. She wasn't alive to even marry and have a kid.

In hindsight, this is definitely true, though her death is only mentioned in a Spotpass Paralogue (I forget if those are post-production or not, I don't think so but could be wrong) so it might just be there as an "official" reason since it wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

A few other reasons why she likely wouldn't have a child: story wise, in Lucina's future Valm's invasion was delayed significantly by Yen'fay (with a longer Plegia war taking its place), so any potential Say'ri child would be much, much younger than the rest, also from a gameplay perspective Say'ri is recruited very late, making it hard to get/put to use any child of hers.

But who knows, it could have been intended at one point. There are a handful of unused character names (Tracy, Andrea, Leopold) buried in Awakening's data, after all.

At no point do we see anyone react to anything past their recruitment bar Chrom, Robin, Lucina, Fred, Lissa, Say'ri, Sumia, and Lucina's mom (this even applies to Flavia and Basilio). This is definitely a shame, but also hardly unique to Lon'qu.

Virion shows up at the start of the Valm arc to say some stuff and then never appear again...even if he retreat the moment he appears in gameplay and Chrom never had a chance to talk to him.

But yeah, it's less a problem with Lon'qu and Say'ri and more a problem with Awakening being merciless to anyone who can't reproduce. Do the two of them have any conversations in the holiday DLCs? They managed to cover the lack of Nowi and Tiki support with a pretty good conversation there (course I'd still love if my dragons could be more useful together in gameplay).

In hindsight, this is definitely true, though her death is only mentioned in a Spotpass Paralogue (I forget if those are post-production or not, I don't think so but could be wrong) so it might just be there as an "official" reason since it wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

A few other reasons why she likely wouldn't have a child: story wise, in Lucina's future Valm's invasion was delayed significantly by Yen'fay (with a longer Plegia war taking its place), so any potential Say'ri child would be much, much younger than the rest, also from a gameplay perspective Say'ri is recruited very late, making it hard to get/put to use any child of hers.

But who knows, it could have been intended at one point. There are a handful of unused character names (Tracy, Andrea, Leopold) buried in Awakening's data, after all.

I see... I wonder if those were going to be children for Say'ri, Tiki, and Flavia. Flavia seems kinda old, but...hey, she could marry the Avatar, so. Leopold would've been a good name to use too, imo. It'd feel like a reference to Leopold Stokowski, that composer guy from Disney's Fantasia.

Well, wait, if Say'ri was going to get a kid, he/she would've had a name with the ' in it. Hm...

Edited by Anacybele

Virion shows up at the start of the Valm arc to say some stuff and then never appear again...even if he retreat the moment he appears in gameplay and Chrom never had a chance to talk to him.

Right, forgot about him. But my point more or less stands.

I think it's because they're the designated main characters, so the developers assumed you'd keep them alive, but to hell with the rest.

Do they still do that if they're dead? I've never checked.

I think it's because they're the designated main characters, so the developers assumed you'd keep them alive, but to hell with the rest.

It's because branched dialogue takes twice as long to write for the same cutscene value per playthrough, so they want to limit places where it needs to occur. Writing a plot arc for a character with the possibility they'll be dead and it won't happen? Way too much work.

Though Awakening's design philosophy of having everything revolve around the MCs comes in too. It's not entirely unjustified, either- who wants to go through a plot arc about a character they didn't use or dislike? That could even mess casual players up by "forcing" them to either rotate their teams or stick to the same units every time, in order to keep the units who are in the spotlight trained up and on the map.

Do they still do that if they're dead? I've never checked.

They can't die. They just suffer a career-ending injury similar to Frederick, Virion, and all the first-gen ladies.

Maybe that's how Basilio survived Walhart's axe

Edited by Anomalocaris