What is your favorite type of plot in Video Games

Locke087

What is your favorite type of plot in a Video Game  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite type of plot in a Video Game

• Basic Plots (Mario, FE 1/11, ect.)
    • Subtle Plots (Ico, Dark Souls, ect.)
    • In-Depth Plots (Bioshock, Last of Us, ect.)
    • It Depends....
    • No story what so ever (ie. pong, tetris)
    • Kudzu plot? or Batshit Crazy Plots (ie. Kingdom heart or Zelda with timeline)
    • Choose your own adventure plots (ie. Mass Effect, rmost things by Telltale games)
    • More Comedic stories (ie. Mario RGP's, and Monkey Island)
    • I don't really care about stories.... But I do like puppies!

So what is your favorite?

is it a Basic plot like the Original Legend of Zelda or Fire Emblem 1/11, that lets your imagination fill in the gaps.

is it a more Subtle plots like Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls, Majora's Mask and perhaps FE 7 (consider the entire meta narrative going on in that game, in truth a lot of games like Earthbound and FE 7 dance the line between subtle and and in-depth storytelling.) Stories that act almost like puzzles to solve, giving you the pieces and letting you put it together.

is it a more In-Depth plot like Bioshock, Last of Us, and Most JRPGs, story that solve the puzzle for you in cool ways

other types of plot?

Personally I like and respect Subtle plots a lot more than In-Depth, and I personally think that Subtle Storytelling is a lot more fitting to a video game as it feels more Interactive. Also 4 out 5 of the my favorite game ever fall into this category (Majora's Mask, FE 7, Mother 3, and Shadow of the Colossus, though wither Mother 3 and FE 7 count is debatable, I think they air more on the side of subtle).

Edited by Locke087

I like subtle story-telling best, but it runs the risk of having not many memorable characters (I'd say games like Majora's Mask and FE7 are kind of a stretch to call on the subtle end of story telling)

I don't really think there is a best way of story telling for video games, as it all depends on the genre, though I will say that I dislike stories that overstay their welcome with walls of text, dialogue and cutscenes.

I really enjoy basic with a dramatic and energetic spirit, think Sonic Adventure 2, DoA 2 Hardcore, etc.

Uhhh... I think there's another word I'm looking for... maybe cheesy :v

I have no idea what any of this mean, but I love Bayonetta and Xenoblade's stories the most. Whatever they fall under is me.

I love Mother 3, but I still say that it's in-depth rather than subtle. The game's story is really important to the message, so I'd say it's a bit above, say, Shadow of the Colossus where the story helps shape the plot but it advances a bit more subtly with the slaying of each Colossus.

I'd say a mix of subtle conyeance as well as in-depth storytelling is the best way to go and creates the best story experience. Take NieR and the Drakengard games for example- there are a lot of hints to what's going on/the backstory as well as overt plot points. That being said, I think it's easier to create an enjoyable story with a mostly direct, in-depth approach than with a mostly subtle story. The way the game tells its story is important, too- Dark Souls' item descriptions are inferior to Shadow of the Colossus' visual and gameplay cues, imo.

I have no idea what any of this mean, but I love Bayonetta and Xenoblade's stories the most. Whatever they fall under is me.

I love Mother 3, but I still say that it's in-depth rather than subtle. The game's story is really important to the message, so I'd say it's a bit above, say, Shadow of the Colossus where the story helps shape the plot but it advances a bit more subtly with the slaying of each Colossus.

never played Bayonetta, but Xenoblade is in In-Depth to the core, that game pounds in its story with flipping nails...

I love Mother 3, but I still say that it's in-depth rather than subtle. The game's story is really important to the message

Like I said it dances its line between them, some games are just harder to classify, now Bioshock kind of does that too.. mabye I need a new voting slot..

Edited by Locke087

What's the first category in the poll for? Mario and Shadow Dragon's stories have pretty much nothing in common, I'm not sure what goes there.

Personally, I'm fond of epic cinematics and character interaction, which probably fits most under the third option even though "more is better" doesn't really sum up my tastes at all. There's a lot more that goes into a story than presentation, and for that matter there's a lot more that goes into presentation than how big of a part of the game it is (such as how seriously the story takes itself, and the quality of the soundtrack).

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

I don't care. Really.

What I care about is how well the style is executed. In the case of Shadow Dragon, it focused on Marth, while saying very little about the support cast, and I liked that. I also like the Trails series, where there's lore around every corner.

Can you edit the poll to include multiple choices? Also, where's "nonexistent" as in Pong, and Kudzu Plots like Kingdom Hearts?

your wish is my command!

What's the first category in the poll for? Mario and Shadow Dragon's stories have pretty much nothing in common, I'm not sure what goes there.

Personally, I'm fond of epic cinematics and character interaction, which probably fits most under the third option even though "more is better" doesn't really sum up my tastes at all. There's a lot more that goes into a story than presentation, and for that matter there's a lot more that goes into presentation than how big of a part of the game it is (such as how seriously the story takes itself, and the quality of the soundtrack).

VERY basic plots like plummer rescue princess, and pretty much every game from the NES era...

VERY basic plots like plummer rescue princess, and pretty much every game from the NES era...

Those are actual plotlines though, not methods of storytelling.

Mario's method of storytelling is an info dump at the start in which you receive your goal. Nothing further happens until the credits, or sometimes entering the final dungeon/world.

Shadow Dragon's method is to break gameplay up into many separate sections, and add plot in the format of talking-head cutscenes at the beginning and end of these.

See the difference? That's story telling. If you were focused on story content, I'm happy to talk about that too, but it's not what the poll was asking!

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

My favorite kind tends to be "does not take itself too seriously", like mother 3, final fantasy 5, and the localization of dragon quest 5. A little bit of humor can really help almost any story, if done right. That being said, I generally like any style, as long as the story has a reasonable story and does not club you over the head with it.

Those are actual plotlines though, not methods of storytelling.

Mario's method of storytelling is an info dump at the start in which you receive your goal. Nothing further happens until the credits, or sometimes entering the final dungeon/world.

Shadow Dragon's method is to break gameplay up into many separate sections, and add plot in the format of talking-head cutscenes at the beginning and end of these.

See the difference? That's story telling. If you were focused on story content, I'm happy to talk about that too, but it's not what the poll was asking!

Yep fixed the topic as such. because this just about plots...

Also I said TYPE of storytelling not method, type does not equal method, both are simple types of story but use different methods to convey them.

Man I hate the English language.....

Edited by Locke087

It really depends.

I'd have to be in a certain mood. For instance, I can fully appreciate the corniness and self-awareness of Spyro the Dragon's (PS1 trilogy only) threadbare plot when I am looking for mindless fun and sweet nostalgia.

When I feel a bit more adventurous, I love to attempt to follow bat-shit crazy plots like Xenogears, Chrono Cross and Digital Devil Saga. These examples were so different and unique (compared to other games released around that time), that it inspired me to want to learn more about their respective worlds. You don't see games like these made anymore, which makes me sad. :(

However, my enjoyment for a crazy plot really depends on my taste for certain stories and the game itself. For example, I am not a fan of MGS. The setting and characters don't appeal to me, so I wouldn't enjoy its complex plot.

There have been games with crazy stories that I liked at first, but grew to dislike due to poor handling of the plot.

Kingdom Hearts is the definition of a kudzu plot; it's the "piece de resistance" of Nomura's subpar storytelling. The first KH was good because it had a relatively simple plot, unique premise and fun gameplay. Chain of Memories was ok, and KH2 got a little crazy, but it was still relatively easy to follow. The portable games got so crazy and wacky, that I stopped caring for the series. Never, ever use time-travel as a plot device unless you're Chrono Trigger/Cross, or Radiant Historia I'm looking at you FF13-2, Awakening and Dream Drop Distance.

When I want more of a "goldilocks experience" (for lack of a better adjective) I appreciate in-depth, but easily followable, plots similar to Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics.

Edited by Leif

Nice, thanks. Though I still don't think Mario and Shadow Dragon have remotely comparable plots. One has a one-line synopsis, the other's takes multiple paragraphs.

I'm fond of stories that are dark but decidedly optimistic, with multiple well-developed and independent villains, heroes who have a balanced mix of power and influence, and perspective sharing between one main main character and several auxiliary mains. When gradually building up to events through flashbacks, cutaways or foreshadowing, I prefer clarity on what's immediately happening along with a total lack of context to some vague context coupled with unclear events. I don't like angst based purely on an informed backstory, but am fine with it when it stems from events depicted in the story (flashbacks are fair game, exposition isn't) and is used to further character development rather than make me feel sorry for them. Similarly, I like unique world mechanics (such as magic systems) on the conditions that they're never more complex than is required to further the plot, and new ones are never introduced to serve as an easy way out of a tough battle for the heroes (though it's fine if they're introduced in battle and work on the villain's side, provided the plot goes somewhere with the turnabout and it's not just to make the fight more tense).

With regard to plotlines instead of plot devices, I tend to favor ones with strong narrative completion- scaling up in scope and intensity, then returning the scope to normal with the intensity still moderately high (ex: Return of the King, Suikoden 2). Political elements to conflicts are welcome, though not to the scale of a courtroom drama (too little action there). Climaxes where the MC demonstrates their character growth by being forced to make a decision and choosing differently than they would have at the start are a plus, as are back-from-the-brink scenarios. In terms of setting, my favorites tend to be medieval/high fantasy and manapunk (steampunk, but with magitech. Of course, steam and magic means double the fun).

Well it depends on the storyline really, I do enjoy complex storylines,those with humor and abit of the simple ones... although I enjoy more the kind of plots that give me a story about a world, or a group, I tend to get annoyed with the ones that focus in only one char, like Shadow Dragon.... and im one of those people that hates Marth for feeling like a generic royal mary sue, sorry folks but... he feels like just another lord, I get so annoyed of how the series act like he is the greatest of all....

Anyway, I do enjoy when there are a bunch of characters that are likeable or interesting, both heroes and villians, heck I enjoy villians that are actually evil, not the cartoon 'I will take over the world' kind (like all FE villians) , but im speaking more of one that gives fear, that does evil things, an example of this is Ghetsis from my fav pokemon gen, gen 5... he nearly destroyed a hole town, mind controlled people to give up their pokemons, nearly killed your char, had a child that he trained to be his champion, enslaved a legendary pokemon to grant him power and had one heck of a epic fight and theme, this is a example of how a villian achieves his final goal, that doesnt focus on what his final goal is about... I do enjoy likeable villians aswell, Mustafa from FE 13 is problaby one,if not my fav FE villian, he is a honorful berserker that fights for those who he cares,I wish he could join my team honestly....

I might add more to what I enjoy but, I do like having Choices too, being able to decide the fate of my char and how the world sees him/her is something I enjoy too

never played Bayonetta, but Xenoblade is in In-Depth to the core, that game pounds in its story with flipping nails...

Given who Xenoblade is made by, you bet your sweet arse its pounding the story with FOOT LONG nails. That lot is notorious for their weaving plots of weird dimensional fuckery and giving the finger to divine powers plots. *looks lovingly at Xenogears*

It depends for me. Im one of those people who tend to put gameplay first, so stories tend to be second bananas. But i do like subtle stories and i do like some super deep ones. For a game narrative, i prefer lore to lurk in every corner, but in a way that i discover it through exploration. Not just it being told to me. But i want it to make sense and flow well. I like my heroes to be multifaceted and flawed, but ultimately really lovable. One of my favorite game heroes of all time, oddly enough, is Lloyd Irving. Hes such a dipshit but so goddamn lovable. Wow. I like my villains to be really insidious and a bit batshit crazy.

But i thrive the most on character interaction and development.

Me, I like Metal Gear's batshit insane/ very deep method of story telling, tho I enjoy simple stories too like FE1 or 6's

Granted, gameplay comes first for me, so that's why I didn't have as many problems with FE13's story as most, heck I actually liked it, despite my hatred for Time Travel plots.