Should sth. like bonus experience return?

MisterIceTeaPeach

bonus experience  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should bexp. return?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. If yes, which bexp. system would you like to see?

• FE9
    • FE10
    • a new system (with explanation)

Bonus experience existed in FE9 and 10.

You got it for beating a chapter fast or fulfilling other side objectives (saving people, escaping with everyone, letting enemies alive etc.).

With the bexp. you could give your units bonus levels.

In FE9 you got a random number of stats for a level up.

In FE10 you always got exactly three stats. It was a good way to increase weaker stats, when a few stats were capped.

I liked this system and would like to see it back.

It might be broken, but it also gave everyone the chance to equalize their weaknesses.

Bonus exp is a nice reward for playing fast and doing optional objectives, I like it.

I'd prefer FE9's way, myself. FE10's was kinda broken later

FE9's can do the same things FE10's did via resets and more so FE9's is probably the more broken one.

In theory yes. Its a good way to give exp to underleveled units or units that did't get any chance to shine in a chapter. However I don't think either Fe9 or Fe10 used the system all that well.

Fe9 had a lot of bonus experiance in an already easy game. It allowed for easy promotions when you dumped all exp on a single character and the system could be rigged too, even if resetting is somewhat tedious.

Fe10 tried to to make Bexp more fair, but the way they implemented it just caused cap ramming later on.

Perhaps and automatic save system after every round of Bexp and a limit on how much bexp you can give a character each chapter would work?

Edited by Sasori

If you want to curb juggernaut syndrome, just make the BEXP horde evaporate between chapters and have level requirements scale heavily. Then you can still dump prop up low-level units, but you can't preserve it to have a character go From Nobody to Nightmare in the blink of an eye.

Also, FE12 Drill Grounds system please. You get good levels but can't abuse caps or rig them too heavily.

I don't see how cap ramming is inherently negative. If FE10's bexp returned then surely the game could just be balanced with it in mind.

Its a bit hard to explain, but I think it goes against the role a unit is meant to play. If your character is a very fast, very strong, but extremely fragile unit, then he'll be kept in check. Sure he one rounds a lot, but he gets killed quickly too. such a character hitting the speed/strenght cap very quickly would make him lose that problem. Bexp can then be used to also buff up his defense, resistance or any other crappy stat that unit has.

More balanced units who don't have a strong reliance on any particular stat can't really do that. They'll take longer to reach their caps so bexp can't be used to rid them of whatever bad stat they do have. So the above mentioned unit weakest stats grow closer to the balanced unit, while the balanced unit can't reach the fragile units strong stats for quite some time.

I'm not really a fan of BEXP. I think it's inherently a breakable system. I'd just rather it did not return.

Then you can still dump prop up low-level units, but you can't preserve it to have a character go From Nobody to Nightmare in the blink of an eye.

Maybe with enough BEXP I can become like Nightmare!!

While this system most certainly encourages min-maxing and save scumming, I do think that they were on to something. It was a nice way to reward players for all kinds of bonus objectives during the chapter without the need for an in-universe explanation for a reward.

But most importantly, that system was flexible. For example that way the game could reward you for every individual Laguz that survives Chapter 15 of PoR instead of forcing the player to spare every single one if they want any kind of pay-off for their mercy.

I also like that it rewarded you for finishing chapters quickly. Not that I care much about LTC but it encourages the player to focus on their objective instead of hunting down and murdering every single red unit in order to milk the map for as much EXP as possible.

Edited by BrightBow

Also, FE12 Drill Grounds system please. You get good levels but can't abuse caps or rig them too heavily.

Personally I like the system from the fan game FE7x: Immortal Sword, where you could have team members fight each other while overseen by a healer, but no more than 3 times per fighter and healer for each chapter. It was a great idea with a lot of potential, though there was the issue that there generally had to be somebody they could actually defeat for it to be remotely useful.

The Drill Grounds I just found to be so ridiculously expensive I didn't bother with them.

If grinding is removed, then yes. But right now with being able to grind for XP, I really don't see the point. If grinding is removed or heavily lowered in its effectiveness then I would like to see it. It would of had a good place in Conquest. A reward system of somekind for completing optional objectives and finishing in a certain amount of time would be great though. Maybe instead of bonus xp its bonus gold, or weapon XP.

Edited by Tolvir