English Support Conversation Gathering (Updated OP)

VincentASM

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god, what did they do to Sakura in her Parent-Child support with Asugi? She literally stutters in every single sentence that she speaks (seriously, the only line she didn't stutter in was "Ok..."). It was painful to read. I checked the same support with other moms and none of the other ones had this problem. I know that Sakura is supposed to be shy and not good at socializing, but this is way too much. Although, to be fair, I haven't seen the Japanese version floating around, either. Was she like this in the Japanese support? If so, that's terrible and they should've fixed it.

Noted SF user "maybe" wanted me to post this.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p5725nzzkc4mz64/AACoXZtDsbRhQuY7691NbUexa?dl=0

EDIT It's every support in the game translated into English (uh, probably).

Nice thank

Saves me the effort \o/

That list is mine, but it's not polished, it's just to make it easier. I don't know what all the tags do, so there is some guesswork involved, and active stuff like disappearances, fade to blacks, various event SFX and generic guest characters (Ex: Subaki-Azura) are still throwing some lines off. It's 98% readable as-is (assuming none of my regex's flat out deleted something...) but I still need to fine tune it at some point (maybe this weekend, I'm playing on the wiki right now). If you have a better script (I think you said Rey's?) that can do a more reliable job don't let me stop you.

That list is mine, but it's not polished, it's just to make it easier. I don't know what all the tags do, so there is some guesswork involved, and active stuff like disappearances, fade to blacks, various event SFX and generic guest characters (Ex: Subaki-Azura) are still throwing some lines off. It's 98% readable as-is (assuming none of my regex's flat out deleted something...) but I still need to fine tune it at some point (maybe this weekend, I'm playing on the wiki right now). If you have a better script (I think you said Rey's?) that can do a more reliable job don't let me stop you.

I might write something more comprehensive--but I have no idea what some of the motion scripts are as well, haha. Rey's doesn't catch everything, either.

I might just work off your files and write a script that puts them in wiki format faster, or something. Currently I'm being a bit lazy and just doing the formatting with TextWrangler's multi-file find and replace over Ryoma's supports, but I think I figured out the general steps of replacements to go into wiki format.

I decided to compare Hisame's main pickle related support, F!Corrin. The difference in attitude is staggering! Hisame is practically a pickle otaku in the English version, where in the Japanese version it's more of an embarassing favorite food/hobby.

JP http://pastebin.com/A2ka7AtP vs NA https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p5725nzzkc4mz64/AADaXyG1X9To-opgtp8xxfeba/Hisame%20Corrin(F).txt?dl=0

Is it because there's no stigma about pickled veggies being old people food here? Is it because tsukemono is very different than the pickled cucumbers us americans are so used to? Is it because Treehouse thought Hisame was boring and needed a quirk so they ramped up his pickle enthusiasm to 11? Probably the last one!

Oh god, what did they do to Sakura in her Parent-Child support with Asugi? She literally stutters in every single sentence that she speaks (seriously, the only line she didn't stutter in was "Ok..."). It was painful to read. I checked the same support with other moms and none of the other ones had this problem. I know that Sakura is supposed to be shy and not good at socializing, but this is way too much. Although, to be fair, I haven't seen the Japanese version floating around, either. Was she like this in the Japanese support? If so, that's terrible and they should've fixed it.

I'll look into this later, added it to a list of Japanese vs English curiosities : )

It looks pretty well done to me! Even with minor edits, it's a hugeee help. Thanks! Now to do the same to the other files while we're at it...

I decided to compare Hisame's main pickle related support, F!Corrin. The difference in attitude is staggering! Hisame is practically a pickle otaku in the English version, where in the Japanese version it's more of an embarassing favorite food/hobby.

JP http://pastebin.com/A2ka7AtP vs NA https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p5725nzzkc4mz64/AADaXyG1X9To-opgtp8xxfeba/Hisame%20Corrin(F).txt?dl=0

Is it because there's no stigma about pickled veggies being old people food here? Is it because tsukemono is very different than the pickled cucumbers us americans are so used to? Is it because Treehouse thought Hisame was boring and needed a quirk so they ramped up his pickle enthusiasm to 11? Probably the last one!

Speaking of JP to NA curiosities, this is a nice one. I may make an article on it and cite you if you don't mind : ) But I don't want to derail from this thread too much!

Treehouse, why?

Why make one of Soleil's best supports in the game and turn platonic. It wasn't based on her gimmick at all (other then two lines), it was nice and sweet. Well, it still is but they made it about getting girls when wasn't about that.

If anyone wants to read them :

Sorry, I needed to that get off my chest. Again, sorry.

Edited by December Knight

Treehouse, why?

Why make one of Soleil's best supports in the game and turn platonic. It wasn't based on her gimmick at all (other then two lines), it was nice and sweet. Well, it still is but they made it about getting girls when wasn't about that.

That was my second choice for Shigure and Soleil :-; It was such a good support.

At least they left Shigure/Mitama as is...

I'll look into this later, added it to a list of Japanese vs English curiosities : )

Great! thanks in advance for looking into this. Love everything you do for the FE community, btw :)

Edited by Tsuky

That was my second choice for Shigure and Soleil :-; It was such a good support.

At least they left Shigure/Mitama as is...

Ahh so much to read to catch up on what the issues are. xD

Great! thanks in advance for looking into this. Love everything you do for the FE community, btw :)

You're welcome! I'm thinking I should make a thread where people comparing supports can post to keep this one to purely compilation and such. It may make for a lot of interesting stuff and be a group effort, too. xD

Treehouse, why?

I'm kinda bummed too. I remember reading Kiragi/Soleil several months ago and thinking what nice support it was; it didn't focus annoyingly on just their gimmicks and actually showed a nice progression of friendship turning into love (well, as much as you can with only 4 convos). Now the S Support is just an unnecessary tacked on declaration of friendship they already did in the A Support, where clearly they got romantic in the JPN version. I'm honestly not sure anymore if I prefer Eng Soleil or JPN Soleil; something I was pretty sure wouldn't be the case with what I saw of the new Corrin/Soleil Support.... :(

I'm kinda bummed too. I remember reading Kiragi/Soleil several months ago and thinking what nice support it was; it didn't focus annoyingly on just their gimmicks and actually showed a nice progression of friendship turning into love (well, as much as you can with only 4 convos). Now the S Support is just an unnecessary tacked on declaration of friendship they already did in the A Support, where clearly they got romantic in the JPN version. I'm honestly not sure anymore if I prefer Eng Soleil or JPN Soleil; something I was pretty sure wouldn't be the case with what I saw of the new Corrin/Soleil Support.... :(

I haven't read her other supports yet, but the way they handled that one had me hopeful. Is it really all that bad otherwise? : (

I haven't read her other supports yet, but the way they handled that one had me hopeful. Is it really all that bad otherwise? : (

I haven't read much more than that one and a few others back during the controversy, but its seems mostly the same otherwise. Its just unfortunate that they seemed to be working up to a confession of sorts and all of a sudden half way through its just another reiteration of being 'best buddies', something they literally just covered in the A Support. I mean, why even include the S Support then? Its just more padding of the same thing and it doesn't really flow well....and I'd imagine the rest are probably the same. I really don't understand the basis behind this localisation decision, especially with how decently they handled the original "problematic" support.....

I'm sorry but....I'm simply baffled at this.... :<

I don't think it's that bad imo. If you ask me, I don't think M!Corrin and Soleil's support was all that romantic either - the only thing that was romantic, was her confession where she flat out says that she loves him. But otherwise at the end of their support, I felt that there was more of hint of a potential romance because of how she wanted to get to know who M!Corrin really was and go from there.

So when I think of it that way, her support with him follows a pretty similar pattern of her valuing or simply wanting to cherish the bond she has towards any of her male candidates, but that's just me. Maybe she's just not the type to jump into serious relationships so quickly? To me, she just wants to have fun going on dates and the like.

This is coming from someone who's not big on romance - so I have no objections to platonic supports like these because it's a nice change.

Edited by carefreejules

More thoughts on supports:

Silas x Nyx: Cute, but inconsistent with the rest of her supports--she keeps her curse a secret in them, but apparently it's common knowledge here. The full JPN version was never translated, so I can't compare it.

Kaden x Hana: Quite good for them both! Slightly improved from the JPN version, mostly just because of a few tweaks to both their dialogue. They play off each other well.

Keaton x Nyx: They ruined the S-support. It comes across as her settling for him, not loving him. Combined with the clunky C-A, it's slightly worse than the JPN version.

Kaze x Setsuna: I found a good support for Setsuna! :D She's not too "out of it" here, but not out of character either. Basically it's them both learning to keep to their strengths, which is nice. In the same boat as Kaden x Hana, in that it's better because of minor dialogue tweaks instead of giant revamps.

Femui x Rhajat and Mamui x Niles: They removed the gayngst in the S-supports, which I know some people complained about, but it was kind of realistic and I honestly thought NoA could handle it well. The same-sex S-supports just lost...something without that bit. Even worse, Rhajat and Femui share Mamui's support chain, which is awful. Mamui x Niles is still workable, but weaker; Femui x Rhajat got tanked hard.

Edited by Abvora

Treehouse, why?

It's a small compromise as the game makes it clear that Soleil loves women and apparently seduces many in her unpaired ending.

I still wanted them to at least squeeze in Soleil x FemCorrin...

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here but just ignore me. I feel like I know what they were going for with localised Soleil, but as a bisexual woman it doesn't really sit right with me. They go out of their way to clarify her bisexuality to the best of their ability in the MCorrin support, which is great! She's gimmicky, but in that one line she felt sort of real. But then, barring Forrest (and maybe a few others, can I confirm?), none of her other S supports are romantic. This means that not only can she not become romantically entangled with female characters, but also with male characters too. For the most part I'm okay with it. I've been holding out for platonic supports for years since Awakening's release, but it does feel a little strange.

I appreciate Soleil, and I totally understand the decision - in fact, I quite like it - but I guess it feels like they're relying (surprise surprise) too much on her gimmick (this applies to Forrest as well) while making an exception for player-pandering. It's very noncommittal but I understand it's the best they could do with what they were given. I'm sure they may have added some same-gendered S supports for her if it didn't mess with the scripting and mechanics.

Edited by nordopolica

Speaking of JP to NA curiosities, this is a nice one. I may make an article on it and cite you if you don't mind : ) But I don't want to derail from this thread too much!

Sure, go ahead!

The other pickle-related support with Selkie/Kinu is actually pretty similar to the original, since Hisame is being a bit more enthusiastic about his love of pickling vegetables, but it's another case in where its more so a difference in attitude. It's not as an extreme shift as the F!Corrin support though since the original support was already pretty pro-pickle. I have yet to find any more pickle references so I'm glad it didn't leak into his other supports somehow.

Really, I'm just salty (heh) about his Bonding Lines having so many pickle references... Why Treehouse, why?

They shortened Laslow/Azura's S rank a bit. She seems much more !? than in the previous version. They also don't express their emotions in dance and song SOB

As for Hinata/Hana....

12767244_1681200505495292_888295954_n.jp

In the English: ""if a guy treats me differently because I'm a girl... it really, really bothers me."

IDK this bugs me a bit. But I still love it, and an overall improvement.

Kanna's platonic S ranks is most likely to avoid 3rd gen incest shenanigans like Morgan could.

Shiro/Matoi is platonic now noooooooooooooooooooooo D:

Uh what

They don't do the whole rings get married thing but they do confess their feelings to each other

A lot of gen2 are more bf/gf deals than getting married

Uh what

They don't do the whole rings get married thing but they do confess their feelings to each other

A lot of gen2 are more bf/gf deals than getting married

They confessed to liking each other, but they didn't specify if it's romantically or not. I took it to mean it was another "you're my best friend!" thing.

I guess it's not as bad as I thought, but it's still a disappointment after reading the JPN version.