Dub Wars: Japanese or English?

SatsumaFSoysoy

Japanese or English: You can only choose one...  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Branch of Fate - Choose Your Path

• Boku wa eranda! (Japanese)
    • I've decided! (English)
    • Refuse to choose a side (both are good)
    • Both suck
    • JOIIIIIIN SMASH

The only English voice I dislike is Effie's. I literally thought that a man was speaking the first time I heard her talk, and I was looking at my screen in confusion to make sure that was really her speaking. I dislike a handful of the Japanese female character voices (as usual) because I tend to think a lot of female seiyu make their voices sound way too squeaky in a desperate attempt to sound cute in anime and video games. Overall, I prefer the English voices.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No comment on Pieri, I'm fine with her. But I really really like Oboro's Japanese voice. It is by far the most unique voice in the game. It sounded a bit weird at first, but it really grew on me. I also respect her voice actress a lot for not only being able to make such a weird voice, but also for her wide vocal range.

I've heard this before, so it might just be me. I will admit Oboro's voice grew on me but that might just be because the character is great. The thing is...it still doesn't fit her at the very least. When you talk to her in My Castle, she can go "AaaaaaAAAaah...?" - like, wouldn't that make more sense to have Setsuna say that line? When did Oboro become a drooling mess? (I haven't even touched her face yet!)

I've heard this before, so it might just be me. I will admit Oboro's voice grew on me but that might just be because the character is great. The thing is...it still doesn't fit her at the very least. When you talk to her in My Castle, she can go "AaaaaaAAAaah...?" - like, wouldn't that make more sense to have Setsuna say that line? When did Oboro become a drooling mess? (I haven't even touched her face yet!)

I think that might be an exasperated sigh of sorts, but what she's saying doesn't seem to match up with the sigh all the time, so yeah, it's a bit confusing.

Well, if we are just going by the audio alone, I would say Japanese. I have a bias towards the original voice regardless of the language, and the Japanese dub really did a great job with all the characters. There are quite a few English voices I really like, though.

As for the rest of the localization, it's more of a mixed bag.

Ah, yes. Like there totally wasn't someone else who did so in the Japanese version (*cough* Felicia *cough*).

It really doesn't bother me because (a) it's only when you get hit, and a 50% chance of playing at that and (b) she's a freaking glass cannon so I rarely put her in positions where she can get hit in the first place.

She squeaks when she attacks too. Nyx's squeaking just sounds forced. None of that really affects what I said.

I really just want to hear Miyuki Sawashiro in Camilla when I play and I usually prefer Japanese. However, I don't mind the English all that much. Especially since I was too lazy to change it every time in Awakening. Also some critical quotes are pretty hilarious in English like Henry in Awakening with "Special Delivery!".

I refused to pick a side since I find both dubs good. Not to mention that since I'm replaying Birthright to pick up certain support conversations, I have animations turned off and am also skipping story cutscenes.

At first, I thought the English voice acting sounded kinda forced and fake, but it actually sounds pretty good for the most part! The voices fit and sound nice for the most part, but a lot of them sound forced at times. Effie sounds awful in my opinion though; she just sounds like someone straining to sound low pitched.

Overall, I like the Japanese better. Except for maybe Silas; I LOVE his English voice.

I love both Japanese and english, I found silas boring in Japanese but man his english I adore. Of course some I waz hesitant for the english but overall I enjoy it. Haven't played conquest yet but Ill hear elffie for myself xD.

Keaton my body is ready for you cough cough haha

I've grown accustomed to Felicia's voice—to the point where "we've got trouble" isn't even funny anymore but normal. I like it now. I like when she's the support character and says, "woah, woooooooah!" Felicia + Pebble all the way.

Silas is wonderful. Looks like a best friend, sounds like a best friend, is actually an amazing best friend. He's the best character out of everyone really. Since I'm playing with a male Corrin right now I set him up with Felicia because I felt Sophie must have inherited her clumsiness from somewhere. Otherwise, female Corrin would have been all over him.

Sounds like an attempt at moe which is weird cuz thats not exactly Oboro's style. Ive heard her Japanese voice and i cringed. Oboro in English is amazing sounding and very pleasant. She sounds exactly as you would imagine she should. Not like a little squeaky moe blob.

Xander's voice grew on me. Its not perfect, but its not as bad as initially thought. I still love Peri's voice a lot though.

I finally got around to listening to both and I've come to the conclusion that the English dub is not all that bad.

Felicia aside.

However, the Japanese version will be forever better for one reason: Aqua (that is, Azura).

Not so much that her English voice is bad, per se, just that her Japanese voice is so much better. When she's singing, at least.

I picked Japanese because I'm studying it and hearing/reading it gives me more exposure and practice. I don't dislike the English dub though, except for Hinoka's voice which doesn't seem to be growing on me at all... but that's not enough to make me hate the English dub.

Edited by Avarice_Shadow

I actually like the English voice acting (especially Azura, Saizo, Silas, Elise, Scarlet and Ryoma - great stuff right there).

(Also, why does the poll assume people answering are male? [boku wa? Male variant?])

I like most of the voices in English. Effie just doesn't seem to fit her, but aside from that, I think everyone else sounds ok. I started off as M!Corrin first and did feel like I couldn't really tell the difference between his 3 voice options, lol. I did wish they had dual audio because I was looking forward to certain VAs in Japanese (Yuki Kaji and Junichi Suwabe), so I guess I'll say both are good.

Japanese. I miss Yuuki Kaji, Mamoru Miyano, Dio, Valshe, and basically everyone else : ( Though some English voices, like Pieri, Takumi, Ryouma, and Leon are still pretty good imo

I only miss Dio, Jotaro, Jolyne (I really dislike the seductress grandma voice they gave to Camilla, even if it fits... somewhat), Joker and the royals' japanese voices. As for the rest, I prefer the english cast or I lack a preference (for example, Kaden is pretty good on both dubs).

Edited by Rapier

I don't have the game yet, so I haven't heard much, but from what little I heard, I'm gonna have to go with the japanese version. The only voice I disliked in the japanese version was Oboro's (Surprisingly, ENG!Oboro sounds exactly like I imagined when I first saw her, so I have to give the localization that). The localized voices have been mostly pretty good from what I've heard, but I really dislike Felicia's, Effie's, Nyx's, Hinoka's and Camilla's voices. Asugi sounds nothing like Gaius. And those are just the complaints that I can remember from the top of my head.

Edited by Luankachu

Sounds like an attempt at moe which is weird cuz thats not exactly Oboro's style. Ive heard her Japanese voice and i cringed. Oboro in English is amazing sounding and very pleasant. She sounds exactly as you would imagine she should. Not like a little squeaky moe blob.

Xander's voice grew on me. Its not perfect, but its not as bad as initially thought. I still love Peri's voice a lot though.

Huh? No, I don't think that's a "moe" voice. Felicia's voice would be considered moe. Can't really categorize Oboro's.

(Also, why does the poll assume people answering are male? [boku wa? Male variant?])

It's just flavor text, come on now. If it bothers you a lot I can add it in.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy