Fire Emblem 1 in Jap... Oh, boy. Gonna need some help on this one!

Lord Tullus

So, after playing FE 2 for 3 days in a row, [thanks Ghast Station] and having an elusive 3ds keep me from playing fates, I decided to try out The first Fire Emblem game, Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi, or Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light. I know a little bit about the game, like how Armor knights and Marth can't promote, or how the storage and weapon level stats work. However, my knowledge on things like who to use ( I can probably decide for myself), or things like damage and other Fire Emblem basics is lacking severely.

On top of this, I will be playing it for the first time in Japanese. (I cannot read Japanese) I'll get a translation patch someday, but part of me wants to conquer this dinosaur in it's own home. (Is that an expression?) Basically, I'd like some tips on what lies in store for me when I start this adventure/living hell. Just any tips in general would help and are greatly appreciated.

A couple things of note:

I have played FE 11 Countless times, so I know how the story goes. At least, the updated version. You can spoil anything you want. Just not FE 14.

I tried chapter 1, and I beat it. However, only Marth, Sheeda, and Jagen are alive. (WHY) I will be starting from the beginning.

Again, any tips, hints, or even translation charts are appreciated. :Lilina:

Don't try to max out your money, because it will roll over if you go too high..... I don't know the exact amount.

If thieves raid a chest, you will NOT be able to get the item back.

Also, stat caps are 20 across the board except for HP and maybe res? But it doesn't matter because no one has res and the magic stat doesn't exist.

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Doubling happens as long as you are 1 point of AS faster. Since you can't check weapon stats, it's important to identify weapons and their parameters as soon as possible. You can figure out by experimenting, by comparing stats to battle results.

(or you can look here if you want comprehensive info.)

Every class that can use lances can also use swords, and swords are lighter, so don't bother using non-ranged lances.

(or you can look here if you want comprehensive info.)

Why did I not think of this? This will definitely help. Thank you.

... I don't have a lollipop to give out.

Edited by Tullus(daScrub)

One tip: Don't. Use. Jeigan.

That's why he is my choice for my profile picture, along with the subtitle: Master of None". You'll rapidly see why...

Yeah, FE1 Jeigan doesn't really have any problems stomping through. Minerva joins in the same chapter as you get the first Speed Ring and might ultimately be a better investment for it, but his availability and great combat proficiency from the get-go net him a solid spot in the top tier.

FE1 Jeigan is as useful as Wendy.

"B-But he's a Paladin with 10 move!"

There's no rescue or console canto, only Marth can visit villages, you have plenty of good 9-move units and flying 8-move units. There's no reason you should ever need his move stat.

"B-But he's a Jeigan, they're always good!"

Earlygame he has negligible offence leads over the cavs, and due to weapon rank mechanics he doesn't have exclusive Silver access (and Sheeda really should take it off him)

I was being hyperbolic before, he actually does have good defences. Due to weight mechanics, stripping him naked actually improves his ability to wall hits.

Promotion gains are NES-style, and he can't take advantage of them. Obviously, his growths aren't going to compensate for that.

None of this means you can't use him. But his best use is as a mobile tank with no resources, and being dropped when he starts being doubled. Most units will be a better investment than he would.

Finding an enemy that can double base Jeigan in FE1 is actually a challenge

Like seriously i can remember 5 of the top of my head.

But then again everyone know the optimal way to play FE1 is to have Marth destroys everything while supported by Wendell

Every Hero

Every Sniper

Every Merc

Every Sword-wielding Paladin

Mages with light tomes

Lance-wielding Paladins will also double him if he uses Horseslayer

With a speed ring, he'll avoid a lot of that, but his 20HP/7 str/9 def don't exactly scream "give me a speed ring". You won't be fighting weak bandits forever.

IIRC it's impossible to reach the C10 thief before he empties one of the chests without a 10 mov unit (unless you Javelin crit or something). Movement is also a good quality of life stat in a game where much of the map design is just running for a few turns before encountering the enemy.

I'm glad his offensive lead isn't any higher, seeing as there are obvious benefits in him leaving all the brigands in the first 4 chapters with 2HP whilst taking a negligible amount of 3 damage from counters; it's also a quality he's unlikely to lose even if he gains a level. Even with a Steel Sword he'll continue to have 4 AS which is enough to get roughly the same effect on all Cavaliers up until C16 or so. It's also worth noting that Horseslayers don't deal any bonus damage against Paladins and he almost never has a reason to equip or be afraid of an enemy having one.

Jeigan will unquestionably become subpar in the long run without investments, but I'll still make the claim that he's definite top tier material, and as Jeigans always are, good.

Looking at WOD, a 7-move unit should be able to intercept the thief, and Jeigan can't one-round him without a crit anyway. Even if I'm wrong on both counts, that just makes it impossible without a Warp staff use.

Weakening enemies is hardly a highly sought after skill. Literally every unit you start with can put bandits into OHKO range, and aside from Gordon who avoids counters, they're 4HKO'd at a shaky hit rate. If the damage is actually a threat or you want to choke a point, Doga takes less damage, has less chance of accidental crits, and puts the exp to very slightly better use.

Midgame, it's a little harder to predict your team but I can't see him becoming any more important.

If base Jeigan uses a Horseslayer, he will be doubled by Paladins.

Jeigan will unquestionably become subpar in the long run with investments. He'll be rocking 19, maybe 20 damage with Silver, enough to kill mages/thieves. You should have units capable of doing that with Iron or without eating a Speed Ring. I don't think I have to argue that he's not getting an Energy Drop, which wouldn't even put his offence on par with any freshly promoted Paladin.

Bottom line is, not using Jeigan will not weaken your team at all in the early chapters, and will make your team stronger in mid and late game.

You are probably aware of this but none of the characters has any resistance (except for Gotoh). Everyone has a 0% resistance growth. To coincide with this power doesn't affect how much damage mages do with attacks, so Linde with an Aura tome will always do 20 damage.