So, any reason why Hoshido's magic is based on the Chinese Zodiac?

Anacybele

Not that I don't like it, I always liked the Chinese Zodiac because animals. And one of them is the horse, my favorite. :D

But why does Hoshido, a Japanese-themed country, have this? I thought I heard that Japan doesn't get along with China anyway...

Also, why haven't I seen a Dragon Spirit spell in Birthright? It's one of the Chinese Zodiac too. And that'd just be badass. Or is there one?

Edited by Anacybele

Well, even though they don't have the best relationship, Japan still likes putting Chinese inspired things in their pop culture. For example, Journey to the West is a Chinese story but was the inspiration for Dragonball, Saiyuki, and a million other things in anime. There's also Fruits Basket which heavily focuses on the Chinese zodiac for the characters.

Early Japan borrowed a lot of cultural and political stuff from China. A lot of their law, for example, was based in Confucianism, and a lot of kanji are based on Chinese script. Japan does have their own version of the Chinese Zodiac, with Sheep replacing Goat and Wild Boar replacing Pig (though I haven't seen a Boar spirit yet).

Ah, I see. Interesting. :)

And yay, there is a Dragon Spirit! But now that I think about it, I haven't seen a Dog Spirit or Rooster Spirit either. But I suppose you don't have to use ALL twelve animals.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about the pig. I didn't see that one in Fates either.

Edited by Anacybele

Ah, I see. Interesting. :)

And yay, there is a Dragon Spirit! But now that I think about it, I haven't seen a Dog Spirit or Rooster Spirit either. But I suppose you don't have to use ALL twelve animals.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about the pig. I didn't see that one in Fates either.

There is a Bird Spirit, which most likely is the Rooster's.

Japan may not get along with China but being neighbors since forever we culturally diffused from each other a lot--- I mean a lot of Chinese people hate Japan today due to WWII stuff but Chinese netslang is also filled with Japanese loanwords, it's not a black and white cut and dry issue

I mean this is why a lot of people get confused about Hanfu vs Kimono etc---they are absolutely not the same but they have some degree of similarities that are caused by cultural diffusion, and it confuses people who aren't familiar with the cultures.

Early Japan borrowed a lot of cultural and political stuff from China. A lot of their law, for example, was based in Confucianism, and a lot of kanji are based on Chinese script. Japan does have their own version of the Chinese Zodiac, with Sheep replacing Goat and Wild Boar replacing Pig (though I haven't seen a Boar spirit yet).

For reference, sheep and goat use the same Kanji in their writing, as do Pig and Boar. It's not as clearly differentiated as in the west.
Edited by Thor Odinson

There is a Bird Spirit, which most likely is the Rooster's.

Ah, okay then.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure the Chinese Zodiac still uses sheep, not goat. I remember because I was born in the year of the sheep. I looked it up once. Also, Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon. It uses the sheep, not the goat. :P

The twelve animals are as follows from what I know:

Horse

Dog

Rabbit

Rooster

Tiger

Sheep

Pig

Rat

Ox

Monkey

Snake

Dragon

Just realized I didn't see a Monkey Spirit in Fates either. lol Snake Spirit though, I did find!

Edited by Anacybele

Ah, okay then.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure the Chinese Zodiac still uses sheep, not goat. I remember because I was born in the year of the sheep. I looked it up once. Also, Jackie Chan Adventures cartoon. It uses the sheep, not the goat. :P

Actually, in chinese it's just 羊.

Goat's 山羊 and Sheep is straight up 羊 but also 绵羊 if you wanna get specific, so really both are legitimate translations. Whatever the bigger uh...species? order? something I suck at bio but anyway, that category that sheep and goat both belong to.

Oh, I see... Yeah, I really know nothing about Chinese or Japanese. They seem really confusing to me, which is why I've never bothered to try learning any Japanese. xP

Haha yeah well, languages in complete different language systems from your native language can be very confusing. If I didn't move my ass to America when I was young and thus had a lot of immersion I'm not sure if my English would be any good, either.

I complain about English a lot :P

The Chinese zodiac is in most of Eastern Asian cultures compared to the Greek Zodiac in the "western" cultures

Dog and Pig/Boar or the only ones that doesn't seem to be in the game they and are also the 11th and 12th animal

I guess they changed Rooster to just Bird in NA so its not as odd when looked at by itself

Edit: Looking at a JPN wiki it seem in the JP version it is 鳥神 (Bird God) instead of using or 鸡.

Also can someone explain 逆神・丑寅 (Reverse God - OxTiger?) aka Calamity Gate. I don't understand 丑寅

Relating to the Sheep/Goat which I though was interesting. From Wikipedia

The Chinese word yáng refers both to goats and sheep, with shānyáng specifically goats and miányáng sheep. In English, the sign (originally based on a horned animal) may be called either. The interpretation of sheep or goat depends on culture. In Vietnamese, the sign is mùi, which is unambiguously goat. In Japan, on the other hand, the sign is hitsuji, sheep; while in Korea and Mongolia the sign is also sheep or ram. Within China, there may be a regional distinction with the zodiacal yáng more likely to be thought of as a goat in the south, while tending to be thought of as a sheep in the north.

Edited by Frozenkappa

I think its rule of cool, and since I'm interested in both Japanese and Chinese lore & culture in general. I love the spell animations.

Edited by Jedi

Ah, okay then.

The twelve animals are as follows from what I know:

Horse

Dog

Rabbit

Rooster

Tiger

Sheep

Pig

Rat

Ox

Monkey

Snake

Dragon

Just realized I didn't see a Monkey Spirit in Fates either. lol Snake Spirit though, I did find!

Close but not quite. The correct order is actually:

Rat

Ox

Tiger

Rabbit

Dragon

Snake

Horse

Sheep

Monkey

Rooster

Dog

Pig

Which explains the scroll rankings. Although if you really think about it, you would think that it'd be the other way. The story came from basically the animals had a race, rat was 1st and was therefore first place, ox was second, etc, etc.

Close but not quite. The correct order is actually:

Rat

Ox

Tiger

Rabbit

Dragon

Snake

Horse

Sheep

Monkey

Rooster

Dog

Pig

Which explains the scroll rankings. Although if you really think about it, you would think that it'd be the other way. The story came from basically the animals had a race, rat was 1st and was therefore first place, ox was second, etc, etc.

Order? Uh, I didn't know there was a set order for them...