Is Birthright chapter 21 all down to freaking luck? (spoilers)

Anacybele

Just wtf is this chapter...

It seems that in order to beat it, you have to TRY to create a path to the boss with Dragon Vein, but there's also a chance you'll end up flooding the place with lava instead. And if that happens, you can't try again to make a path. I don't see any way around that.

What am I supposed to do here? I couldn't find any other way to get to the boss and if I just sit and wait to see if I can eventually get another chance to make a path, the enemies will get reinforcements and the lava just keeps hurting my party. I reset because I felt I got myself completely stuck.

Any advice here? Because I really don't know what to do if I end up getting a lava flood again. Only fliers can move freely without the paths. And I've only got three of those (four counting Reina, but I haven't been using her). Hinoka, Subaki, and Takumi.

I don't like when stuff like this is completely down to luck... It takes away from the strategy aspect of the game. And the fun.

There's a pattern to it. You know how one of the hands for the statues is holding an orb, right?

Use that dragon vein. It's not really luck, but the first one can feel like a 50/50 chance to get it right. Pick the one with the orb.

You do eventually get another chance to use the dragon vein again, if you get flooded. There are holes you can have your units stand on that will heal them, and they won't get hurt by the lava. You can ride it out that way, which is what I did.

Oh yeah that level is a pain in the arse. I cheesed it because i had a team of fliers (including MU) already deployed. But, yeahhhh its a bit funky.Yeah the DV thing respawns if the lava happens. After a number of turns though...

I took a break from this stage because I know it's gonna take a long time since you have to wait about 3 turns (or something like that) before the Dragon Vein appears with the correct square to make the path. And it really sucks when someone dies T-T such a long stage,

Edited by Elycia

You could just pair up Ryoma with a flyer, reach the boss on 3-5 turns and clear that chapter.

I know, it feels like cheating, but that chapter is horribly long and tedious anyway if you try to clear it on the hard way.

Edited by Rapier

There's a pattern to it. You know how one of the hands for the statues is holding an orb, right?

Use that dragon vein. It's not really luck, but the first one can feel like a 50/50 chance to get it right. Pick the one with the orb.

Oh, I see! I was hoping for something like that. Thanks!

This chapter does seem to be long, but I don't mind. Defeating all those bad guys gets my team exp anyway. :P

Oh, I see! I was hoping for something like that. Thanks!

This chapter does seem to be long, but I don't mind. Defeating all those bad guys gets my team exp anyway. :P

You're welcome! I personally ended up getting lucky on the first one, because it was the only one any of my characters could reach, and so I took a gamble on it. From the rest of there, I kept picking the same marker.

Just a warning though, it will change. Not the marker, but which hand it is. So pay attention to the statue!

Edited by Fallaner

Hoshido 21, I remember this chapter. It was really fun when I was playing it in Japanese and couldn't read a dang thing.

But yeah, the DV points you have to activate don't change. It's just a matter of knowing which ones to activate, and once you've got it down you're good.

EDIT: Huh, it changes? I don't recall it ever changing for me when I did the Japanese version. Then again, I mostly stuck with Revelations after it came out.

Edited by Sunwoo

Hoshido 21, I remember this chapter. It was really fun when I was playing it in Japanese and couldn't read a dang thing.

But yeah, the DV points you have to activate don't change. It's just a matter of knowing which ones to activate, and once you've got it down you're good.

EDIT: Huh, it changes? I don't recall it ever changing for me when I did the Japanese version. Then again, I mostly stuck with Revelations after it came out.

Not the marker (the orb), just what hand it's in. It wasn't too long ago since i played Birthright, as I played Conquest first and played Revelation after (special edition copy, lets me play it already).

So yeah, the orb's hand will change. Probably a way to punish you if you got lazy and just went based on left or right. It will be the same each playthrough I imagine, but one of the statues has it in a different hand.

It's completely possible that I haven't played Birthright in such a long time that I just can't remember if anything changed on me or not. I've only played on normal mode, though (playing through higher difficulties in a language I can't read lol), does that have anything to do with it?

It's completely possible that I haven't played Birthright in such a long time that I just can't remember if anything changed on me or not. I've only played on normal mode, though (playing through higher difficulties in a language I can't read lol), does that have anything to do with it?

I myself only played Normal/Casual, and it still at least looked like the hand changed. First it was right (from my perspective) and like the 3rd one was on the right (my perspective) if I remember right.

So it's probably just you haven't played Birthright in so long. Though it's possible my memory is a bit cloudy, Birthright was the least memorable of the three stories to me, though I do remember particular elements (like which dragons vein to use here)