Azura's Chest Key disappears from her inventory after Nohr C9

Espinosa

For my Girls Only LTC run, I finished chapter 9 having Azura trade her Chest Key to a fellow unit so that she would open the Rescue staff chest with it. I then realised I could've saved the key for later usage by using Niles instead, as I could afford fielding him and Silas while avoiding them entering combat. I had Niles open the chest with his Lockpick this time, presumably saving Azura's Chest Key. However, in My Castle after the battle, Azura's Chest Key is still gone and Niles has the Rescue staff in his inventory and I definitely couldn't have passed the Chest Key to Niles/Siles because they didn't require a dance to get to the chest on time.

What gives? Could anything in the post-battle conversations explain this?

Edited by Espinosa

Yeah for some reason they decided chest keys don't stick after any chapter, I recall when I ran through birthright if I put them in my convoy (because I had ninjas so I didn't really need keys). They vanished after it was done, so it carries over to the other 2 routes I assume.

I used the key she had in Conquest so maybe thats why I didn't think about it too much there.

It makes sense, though; why should a key from Fort Dragonfall open up a chest in, say, Hoshido's palace?

Though there's still the question of why the keys disappear after use, and why they're at least interchangeable within a single level.

Ah, that's a bizarre new mechanic. Never noticed it on my past runs because I always used the keys in the chapter where I got them.

Pity you can't buy them and keep them for future chapters.

Yeah I remember buying keys in advance in games such as FE6 alot, because it helps so much.

It makes sense, though; why should a key from Fort Dragonfall open up a chest in, say, Hoshido's palace?

Though there's still the question of why the keys disappear after use, and why they're at least interchangeable within a single level.

You do have a point there, but i've usually been willing to suspend my belief for convenience, however Fates doesn't have too many doors/chests to begin with so it doesn't bug me so much. Plus you have the trio of Ninja's on Hoshido and Niles & Kaze on Nohr for locks anyways

Well we could go by Zelda logic and say our units just break keys when they use em on locks, don't know their own strength :P:

Edited by Jedi

I think it was Awakening that started this trend? Chest Keys/Door Keys are nowhere to be bought and the chapters they can be obtained in are often quite out-of-the-way and often optional.

I don't like that this trend continues.

Some companies use the same password for all of their computers. I guess physical keys can work like this if they feel that they only need to protect their stuff from outsiders.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you send it to your convoy and keep it for next chapter? or does it disappear from there too?

Nope, it disappears. Tried it twice in my Conquest runthrough and only figured it out after the second time it happened.