I really hate the new level system

After 30 the exp gain is just so bad and unlike Awakening we don't have a decent exp grind map or Walhart's paralogue which flooded you with capped promoted classes to kill.

I vastly prefer the old way of reverting back to level 1, made getting skills and getting stat ups much easier.

Especially when you consider that getting to 40 on Felcia, Flora, Jakob, Azura and the such in their base classes is a trap as you don't revert to level 1 promoted. So if you didn't class change them asap it's a pain to get them in other classes for skills and different growths that would help them. Especially Azura who has very bad growths as a dancer.

Edited by Pretty_Handsome

There are good and bad things. The EXP gain is apparently arse after a while, but I like how you gain unpromoted skills in a promoted class if you don't already have them. Never again will I need to reclass to Myrmidon while grinding because I forgot to pick up Vantage.

I can see why it's kind of annoying for people who like grinding for skills and care about postgame content, but for someone who would rather just play the story chapters, I think the seal system as a whole is a godsend. Being able to change from promoted class to promoted class regardless of level is a godsend.

I haven't played the game, admittedly, but I think this game's level system is way better than Awakening's.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

The new system is incredibly flexible. You can change to a parallel class at any level, skills are much easier to get (4 levels instead of 14) and for whatever skills you don't want to put the work into getting, you can purchase from other players. You also don't need to spend money on more master seals after returning to a base class.

There is exp DLC if you want to grind.

I vastly prefer the new system as well, as not only does it make skill grinding much faster, being able to switch classes so easily makes more feasible to collect skills while just playing the campaign as well, so skillsets are no longer just an endgame thing. Plus, you can still level to whatever/99 and cap everything and get every skill for postgame as well, so it really is the best of all worlds. In addition, the new EXP formula helps discourage low-manning, and makes it far more difficult to simply 'brute-force' your way through the game by overleveling, which is great. Awakening's EXP formula and focus on strong paired units was broken as hell.

Grinding in Awakening was extremely tedious, and it could be difficult to collect skills to try out cool setups without getting ridiculously high leveled. The way Fates handles it is far superior, in my opinion.

I don't understand why people are having problems.

Come chapter 26 maps, my level 90 Great Lord Avatar is earning 25XP per kill and 50XP per boss kill.

Give two scoutings there and let them solo it and you quite easily end up hitting level cap and burning through Eternal Seals.

I mean... level 90 Great Lord. I even hit level cap for ALL my Avatar's stats. I don't see the problem with the gains.

EDIT: Will say I love this system more than Awakening's. Grinding the amount that I have in Awakening, and it being both bearable, viable and even do-able without even worse fall offs... is simply great. Also, not needing to downgrade to a pre-promote for certain skills is simply great. I can get a lot more skills that I want without needing to go into classes I don't feel like or temporarily nerfing myself to get them.

Edited by Fallaner

Honestly, I like this new one better. I grinded too much in Awakening.

Now that exp gains have drastically decreased after a certain point in Fates I find myself not caring about acquiring every possible skill for every character and just pick the classes and skills that I like. We can now also pick 5 units to record in the log book every time we finish a campaign and simply buy the skills again on each of the respective five units.

I... think it's a mixed bag. It's certainly better during the main story, but I'm the type who likes to do lots of post-game grinding, so only gaining 1 exp from everything ever makes it quite slow.

But really, the main issue is that there isn't a good map for automated exp grinding (Rogues and Redeemers 3, woo) and no Paragon yet.

I... think it's a mixed bag. It's certainly better during the main story, but I'm the type who likes to do lots of post-game grinding, so only gaining 1 exp from everything ever makes it quite slow.

But really, the main issue is that there isn't a good map for automated exp grinding (Rogues and Redeemers 3, woo) and no Paragon yet.

See... I don't see why people are only getting 1XP. Chapter 26 Birthright and Revelation maps let you quite easily go absurdly high in level.

I mean... my avatar is sitting at level 90. I wouldn't of gone that far trying to max out all her stats if I wasn't getting a decent amount of XP.

Revelation Chapter 26 map is, with a set of level 20s (at least in casual like I am), "Hit auto button a bunch, rinse and repeat".

Grinding is really streamlined with this system (moreso if playing on Birthright or Revelation). The only minor flaw if any with the system is the amount of gold needed to get Eternal Seals (12K gold a pop).

Bold: Umm... I would NOT consider that a great map for automated exp grinding...

It's not really needed in this game, plus it would be bad business for Boo Camp DLC for the Conquest crowd if all DLC maps that allows you to use your own units were to give experience.

BTW, RaR 3 isn't the most reliable form of exp. grinding in Awakening, especially in Lunatic difficulty; Lost Bloodlines 3 is easily a much better choice once you have the stats for it (not hard to do with EXPonential Growth, Golden Gaffe, and Champions of Yore 3 available).

I personally feel that the best exp grinding map in Awakening is the Beach Scramble. I farmed on that map to hit two birds with one stone—levels and support rank farming. I would just pick two couples and direct them on diverging paths, landing on a sparkling tile every turn and would also use the Seed of Trust whenever it was acquired.

So, I was actually quite disappointed when Fate's Beach Brawl turned out to be a separate thing.

I prefer Awakening's for its greater freedom for one main reason.

In Conquest hard classic I had no problem for the majority of the chapters. Not every unit was useful but most were good units. But the last 5 chapters and final boss completely changed that. Only Xander and MU, my only units who had gotten consistently good level ups, were able to be effective. All of my other units had to be sidelined. I still beat it, but just two platooning it with two units took the fun and strategy out of the game for me. I'm not saying Fate's level up system is horrible, the lowering of stat caps definitely mitigates bad level ups. But you can easily get punished by the RNG gods with bad level ups in the game.

Honestly though, I like this new skill system a bit better. I'd rather just buy skills than grind for hours to get the setup I want.

Bold: Umm... I would NOT consider that a great map for automated exp grinding...

He probably meant Lost Bloodlines. Even with capped stats and Limit Breaker (just going through classes for skills), some classes just can't reliably solo Rogues and Redeemers, (even not taking into account the possibility of getting OHKO'd by Jaffar).

The EXP is lower, but you also need WAYYY less levels when grinding skills under the new system.

Honestly, finding the right DLC maps to spam start on to grind skills was not fun

I prefer Awakening's for its greater freedom for one main reason.

In Conquest hard classic I had no problem for the majority of the chapters. Not every unit was useful but most were good units. But the last 5 chapters and final boss completely changed that. Only Xander and MU, my only units who had gotten consistently good level ups, were able to be effective. All of my other units had to be sidelined. I still beat it, but just two platooning it with two units took the fun and strategy out of the game for me. I'm not saying Fate's level up system is horrible, the lowering of stat caps definitely mitigates bad level ups. But you can easily get punished by the RNG gods with bad level ups in the game.

Honestly though, I like this new skill system a bit better. I'd rather just buy skills than grind for hours to get the setup I want.

Eh?, having to sideline your shittys isn't really anything new to fire emblem. And especially comparing to awakening where the only way to play Lunatic+ was the MU/Chrom power couple and their subsequent broken kids

Edited by Tribute

I haven't played the game, admittedly, but I think this game's level system is way better than Awakening's.

Only thing I like better is not needing to return to base classes. Everything else is inferior to Awakenings.

Maybe if we get Paragon and Veteran via dlc it may make things less painful.

Edited by Pretty_Handsome

BTW, RaR 3 isn't the most reliable form of exp. grinding in Awakening, especially in Lunatic difficulty; Lost Bloodlines 3 is easily a much better choice once you have the stats for it (not hard to do with EXPonential Growth, Golden Gaffe, and Champions of Yore 3 available).

He probably meant Lost Bloodlines. Even with capped stats and Limit Breaker (just going through classes for skills), some classes just can't reliably solo Rogues and Redeemers, (even not taking into account the possibility of getting OHKO'd by Jaffar).

I did actually mean RaR 3, and it worked fine for me on Normal at least. Just pair the unit up with Chrom, give them a big stack of Elthunders, Hand Axes, or Javelins (Swords and Bows require special attention), mark Jaffarsehole so you can take him out at range once he gets close, then just mash End Turn. Dig into the Chromvoy whenever you need a Second Seal.

The only times I've failed to solo it were if I started using it before a unit really became powerful enough. In the event that they're not quite strong enough I use Smash Bretheren 3 or Lost Bloodlines 3, but the former is a slow slog and the latter has lower exp yield and healers you have to manually kill.

Plus it has good music, which if you're like me you'll have to hear a lot trying to cap everyone's stats in every class. I don't remember how many cycles as a Dread Fighter Basilio had to complete before he finally capped his Magic stat...

Edited by Anomalocaris

I did actually mean RaR 3, and it worked fine for me on Normal at least. Just pair the unit up with Chrom, give them a big stack of Elthunders, Hand Axes, or Javelins (Swords and Bows require special attention), mark Jaffar so you can take him out at range once he gets close, then just mash End Turn. Dig into the Chromvoy whenever you need a Second Seal.

The only times I've failed to solo it were if I started using it before a unit really became powerful enough. In the event that they're not quite strong enough I use Smash Bretheren 3 or Lost Bloodlines 3, but the former is a slow slog and the latter has lower exp yield and healers you have to manually kill.

Plus it has good music, which if you're like me you'll have to hear a lot trying to cap everyone's stats in every class. I don't remember how many cycles as a Dread Fighter Basilio had to complete before he finally capped his Magic stat...

It kind of falls apart on Hard, and it's far too painful for Lunatic.

Ahem. . .topic. I need some time to adjust to the new system, but I think I'll be okay with it once I do. The unpromoted class skill thing is a nice touch, as is not having to wait ten levels to go to another promoted class.

Tell you, Walhart's Paralogue is faster, easier and only requires you pair up and have a 1-2 weapon once you're strong enough for it.

Veteran and/or Paragon majes it easy to get to that level for maxing out.

I got all the skills in the game that Male Robin could get by doing it.

Tell you, Walhart's Paralogue is faster, easier and only requires you pair up and have a 1-2 weapon once you're strong enough for it.

Veteran and/or Paragon majes it easy to get to that level for maxing out.

I got all the skills in the game that Male Robin could get by doing it.

It's good, yes, but you also have to keep buying and using Reeking Boxes to fuel it. It also doesn't pit you against fifty enemies like RaR 3 does. I got all the skills in the game that Robin, Lissa, Frederick, Chrom, Miriel, Maribelle, Gaius, Gregor, Olivia, Henry, Lucina, Cynthia, Owain, Inigo, Laurent, Morgan, Tiki, Basilio, Gangrel, Walhart, Aversa, Emmeryn, Yen'fay, and Priam can get, AND capped all their stats and weapon proficiencies in EVERY class, including the DLC ones, via RaR 3. And I could have kept doing that with everyone else but then Fates came out.

But anyway, this topic. I really do like how you get new skills every level up instead of having to go through base classes now.

I guess it's really the experience gain formula that I dislike, rather than the actual reclass system. Though shelling out for tons of Eternal Seals hurts of course.

Edited by Anomalocaris