Translation?

Since SaS mentioned it, here's my WIP generic response:

"Right, all the other FE names in Brawl are either wrong or bad translations (and not localisations) and this is any different, how?"

Probably needs a little more work XD

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I think Deke is a cooler name than Dieck. And I honestly wouldn't mind "Binding Blade" over "Sword of Seals". As long as it gets here somehow.

Lilina has already been mentioned in the NA version of FE7, though

So was Kyza, and his name was "Kysha" or something in FE9. >_>

I'd like to see video game developers and strategy guide makers get into these little internet communities we have here..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You have to remember, Japanese is a vague language so they might keep it as Swords of Seals, Sealed Swords, Binding Blade. But it's just the name, the game might come over to the states. At at this point a remark on the DS.

If they DID come out with a remake, it would probably be long after the DS dies.

Much like the Final Fantasy series, I believe they will, in time, remake and release the original six Fire Emblems, possibly on the DS.

The Binding Blade isn't that bad of a subtitle...

But what exactly is the Binding Blade? Not the Sword of Seals, surely? The sword seals, not binds... Seals sounds better.

Problem with that is it isn't 'The Sealing Sword', it's 'The Sealed Sword'. It would be a bit better if it was 'The Binded Sword' or something like that, but even then... nyah. Binding Blade can suck it, Sealed Sword is more proper.

It can translate into 'Sealed Sword' but NoA flaunts its localization skills. In other words, they'd rather use a thesaurus or make up a name they feel appropriate than use a correct translation in the first place.

'Sides, one excuse it the sword's ability to seal. Thus their decision for the title. No, it's not the best reasoning, but hey, look at all the translation gone on for the past two Fire Emblems :(

I am having a hard time finding a serious difference between "Sword of Seals" and "The Binding Blade." They mean same thing, after all. They really aren't very different.

Swords of Seals implies a Sword capable of operating seals, both in employment and removal.

Binding Blade is more a sword that is able to seal a thing. And really only bind a thing. But this is coming from three and two words, not the actual story behind the thing.

Problem with that is it isn't 'The Sealing Sword', it's 'The Sealed Sword'. It would be a bit better if it was 'The Binded Sword' or something like that, but even then... nyah. Binding Blade can suck it, Sealed Sword is more proper.

It sucks more because it's not in past tense?

It sucks more because it's not in past tense?

I think the actual point wasn't the tense, but the meaning. "The Sealing Sword" implies it's a sword that seals, whereas "The Sealed Sword" implies the sword itself is sealed.

I'm not entirely knowledgeable about how japanese works, but in context of the game, it would be a sword that seals.