Any Portable Games You Wanted to Link Up/Do Multiplayer With, But Couldn't?

Randoman

Are there any portable games you've always wanted to try out multiplayer/linking up with, but couldn't? I'm asking since I've recently remembered just how many Game Boy Advance games I've always wanted to try out the multiplayer aspects of, but couldn't due to others not having the game and the "1 Game Pak, 4 Players" aspect being really limited when I did try it out with cousins/friends, and not being able to fully enjoy the multiplayer aspects unless everyone had a cartridge.

Kirby's Nightmare in Dream Land and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror were definitely high up there on my list. Before Kirby's Return to Dream Land came out, that was the only way to play traditional Kirby with 4 players. Even after playing Kirby's Return to Dream Land. I still would like to try out 4 player on both Kirby GBA games, especially Amazing Mirror since the calling function seems like it'd be really neat to do with human players, and being able to explore the map 4 times as fast by splitting up would be awesome.

The 3 GBA F-Zero games also come to mind. I've always wondered how well I'd do against other human players in the F-Zero games and how fierce the competition would be, and how much we'd try to destroy each other with side attacks and such.

And although I did get to try out playing Mario Bros. on the Game Boy Advance in co-op with 2 players, I'd still like to try it again, but with 4 players. It'd be really fun to see how fast 4 players could conquer each phase and see how well we could delegate areas and work in synch clearing the screen of enemies.

Four. Swords. Adventures.

I probably never will get to experience what that game is like in multiplayer.

EDIT: Does this one count? It's a Gamecube game, but it requires several GBAs and all the cord nonsense as any GBA game would.

Edited by Knight

Pretty much all of them, since I never had anyone to play them with. There was people who owned the same games but usually they either didn't have a GBA or a link cables.

Sonic Battle, above all else. Loved that one a few years ago but nobody actually owned it.

most of the games i had i didnt have anyone to play with with some exceptions

pokemon was really the only thing i ever linked up with anyone with

because of this i ended up getting all of the pokemon in gen 1 and gen 4

i also have zelda 4 swords, and animal crossing new leaf with a few people before as well so pretty much only the extremely popular games

anything that i barely knew anyone who played it like Golden Sun or anything like that i didnt link up with

EDIT: Does this one count? It's a Gamecube game, but it requires several GBAs and all the cord nonsense as any GBA game would.

Thankfully, the single player is almost as good as the multiplayer, because unlike in Four Swords Anniversary Edition, you can actually control all four links at once.

What you DID miss out on was Shadow Battle. Think of the "multiplayer" from A Link Between Worlds, but infinitely better. It's a four-player fight to the death with varied arenas, items, switches for bombs and trapdoors, and enemies. So good. By the way, how is the Coliseum battle mode in Triforce Heroes?

By the way, how is the Coliseum battle mode in Triforce Heroes?

eh it's alright. nothing to write home about, since it gets old pretty quick. good way to get some of the rarer materials tho

I own FSA on the GC. I still own my GBA<->GC link cable, but I've never known anyone who owns another one, so I can't play FF: Crystal Chronicles with anyone either. Kind of disappointing on both accounts.

Thankfully, the single player is almost as good as the multiplayer, because unlike in Four Swords Anniversary Edition, you can actually control all four links at once.

What you DID miss out on was Shadow Battle. Think of the "multiplayer" from A Link Between Worlds, but infinitely better. It's a four-player fight to the death with varied arenas, items, switches for bombs and trapdoors, and enemies. So good. By the way, how is the Coliseum battle mode in Triforce Heroes?

FSA also had all the minigames of Tingle's Tower. Although some of them weren't really minigames but extremely intense combat challenges instead.

Edited by BrightBow

Every DS game with online play I ever bought. The DS, unlike the 3DS, was hampered by basically any level of security in your internet connection, so I could never play it at my house, and I only got to play one game online once while I was at a school-sponsored camp.

One thing I hate is when a portable game has a sweet multiplayer mode, and I can't play it with anyone unless they have their own copy. It's especially bad when a game has download play but intentionally cuts functionality to sell more copies. Example -

Kirby Fighters: This mode lets you and up to three friends battle each other as different colored Kirbys with copy abilities... There are 10 copy abilities you can use in this mode, as well as download play. One rather asinine aspect is that players who don't own the game get Sword, Cutter, and absolutely nothing else. This is an effort to sell more copies of the game, but since most folks would rather play Super Smash Bros for 3DS anyways, it will backfire miserably.

Four Swords Adventures for sure (not technically a portable game, but like Knight said above, it definitely counts in the spirit of the question, I feel). Triforce Heroes kind of felt like a step in the right direction as far as that's concerned, but the 3 player requirement for multiplayer was kind of odd. I'm crossing my fingers that the path will continue we'll get 2 Link game eventually that I can team up with my husband and have some crazy hijinks.

I guess Pokémon is another one. I was never able to trade any Pokémon until Gen 4 and online trading came about. I still don't do the battle thing but I do really appreciate trading being made so much easier. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck not being able to trade in the Yellow remake because it's local wi-fi only. First world introvert problems, I guess.

I will never undestand why Nintendo didn't think to remake all of those games that used those gba-to-gamecube games for the WiiU and use the game pad for the multiple-screens thing. Crystal Chronicles for the gamecube was the most fun I've ever had in a cooperative multiplayer game, it was practically BEGGING for the WiiU to remake it!

...Note, I don't actually have the WiiU, so if there's something I don't know about how that would be impossible, I apologize. But it would've been so awesome!

Well, the Wii U can only have one Gamepad at a time, in addition to other controllers. So if you were thinking of four player with four Gamepads, sorry but that's not happening. A 3DS Four Swords Adventure style game would be epic though.

Well, the Wii U can only have one Gamepad at a time, in addition to other controllers. So if you were thinking of four player with four Gamepads, sorry but that's not happening. A 3DS Four Swords Adventure style game would be epic though.

Isn't that what Triforce Heroes is?

And that's a shame about the gamepad, that's practically what the gamepad is perfect for, why would they make it so only one works at a time? It's perfect for multiplayer!

Edited by Alastor15243

I will never undestand why Nintendo didn't think to remake all of those games that used those gba-to-gamecube games for the WiiU and use the game pad for the multiple-screens thing. Crystal Chronicles for the gamecube was the most fun I've ever had in a cooperative multiplayer game, it was practically BEGGING for the WiiU to remake it!

...Note, I don't actually have the WiiU, so if there's something I don't know about how that would be impossible, I apologize. But it would've been so awesome!

Why use the Gamepad? The Wii U can communicate with the 3DS just like the Gamecube could with the GBA, just without the wires.

A remake for this game would really be the best. But not just as a Virtual Console release because the game has the fatal flaw that if any player looses connection you get back all the way to the title screen. You are not given the chance to adjust the cable, the session will be cancelled immediately. And the levels in this game take a while.

Needless to say, this also makes the game a lot harder to play these days. Even if you have the necessary hardware, these things are so old now that they are far more likely to loose connection.

Technically the Wii U is capable of supporting two Gamepads. Nintendo just doesn't use that feature

Edited by BrightBow

Isn't that what Triforce Heroes is?

And that's a shame about the gamepad, that's practically what the gamepad is perfect for, why would they make it so only one works at a time? It's perfect for multiplayer!

Triforce Heroes made the critical blunder of NOT letting you control all Links at once, which is what made FSA's single player fun. Instead you get Doppels, which are the soulless bodies of players who already beat Triforce Heroes alone.

As I recall the Wii U could work with two Gamepad's in developement, but -

1. Gamepads cost like $80 to make.

2. More than two Gamepads kills the framerate.

Well, other than old GBA Pokemon games, I'd say Yoshi's Woolly World. I loved that game so much that I'd totally play through it again with a buddy! It would probably make the Boss Tent a bit easier too, god dang. Trying to get through that was almost like SMG2's The Perfect Run (the Daredevil run of Grandmaster Galaxy). Almost, since the latter still took me longer to beat. But I unlocked the gold Yoshi, WOOHOO.

Oh, I misread the topic title then. I've got no answer other than Pokemon games. xP Well, and Zelda Four Swords.

And I'd rate Woolly World a 9.5. Only flaw I felt it had was difficulty. I wish it was a little harder. Yoshi's Island for SNES was harder. :P

Speaking of Four Swords, "Four Swords: Anniversary Edition".

A special version of the original Four Swords as a free download for DSi and 3DS in celebration of the series anniversary. It's just that it was only available for a few days, very early in the 3DS lifespan no less, so I am the only person who had a 3DS back when the game was available. This is so freaking daunting. Just allow me to pay money for that damn thing, Nintendo. With that and Triforce Heroes being so ridiculously inflexible, with no support for 2 or 4 players, I feel like that company is deliberately trolling me.

Edited by BrightBow

Yeah, why was that so limited? I missed it the first time and was able to get it when it became available a second time for just a few days, but still. It was dumb...

I also really want a true new Four Sword Zelda game. Triforce Heroes is nice, but it's not Four Sword Zelda. Not as good either. I thought using the Gamepad and three 3DS systems as the controllers would be fantastic because they all have their own screens for different players to use. And lots of players at least have a 3DS while they probably know at least one person that has a Wii U. It wouldn't be as difficult to play multiplayer in a Wii U Four Sword Zelda or 3DS Four Sword Zelda as it was to play GBA Four Swords or even FSA for GC.

I'm probably one of the few people that did get to play FSA's multiplayer though. I had actually bought link cables just for that purpose since we actually already had two GBAs (my brother had an SP and I had my stepbrother's old regular GBA). I played with my younger brother who is dead. We were literally equal in the Shadow Battle lol. I beat him exactly as many times as he beat me! XD We had fun doing the Adventure mode as well, though we didn't beat it. My brother kind of lost interest, I guess...

Edited by Anacybele