Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 2

Shin

[spoiler=Guard Dog]
Cass' request had been a strange one, but it was certainly a better alternative than the party for Niko. As he'd been instructed, he'd found Dettard in the royal chambers. The ex-noble was looking out of the window, down at the courtyard below. His face was bruised and his body injured, whatever he'd faced in the dungeon hadn't been kind. Dettard looked at Niko, just about recognising him as one of Owen's men.

It was hard to believe it was the same man who had caused so many deaths at the manor. His expression was subdued and his lust for power seemed entirely absent.

"I'm guessing you're here for guard duty?" he asked, still focused on the outside. "I have no intents of escaping or causing you harm, but the Princess insisted that I am watched."

"Yes, I'm here as guard. I suspect the princess is more worried about other people trying to come in than you leaving." He leaned up against the wall near the door, in perfect position to both block Dettard as well as surprise anyone that came in. "Something interesting outside or are you just not interested in looking at me?"

Dettard laughed gently. "It's not that at all, I'm just wondering what my fate will be." he replied. "Owen will never forgive me for what I did, and rightfully so. If not for the fire, I would have been dead by now. It's hard to know what to do when you didn't expect to be alive."

Niko frowned, the man's words strangely echoing thoughts he had once had. Tapping his fingers against the wall, he shook his head. "Well, perhaps for a start, take a few steps away from that window. If someone were to attack you, the window would not be a bad option. As for what to do with your life... Well I don't know you or your situation. But you're alive. And the princess seems intent on keeping you that way. Maybe you should be dead right now. I'm not the judge of that even if I would have killed you if I had faced you in our fight. Sometimes we survive even when we shouldn't. The only way to get lady that is to find something that makes it worth it. That makes living worth it even knowing that you should be dead."

He stopped himself there, having already said far more than he'd ever intended to say during this whole guarding job.

Dettard smiled, the mercenary certainly made sense, more sense than most nobles anyway. "I'll remember that when I'm thinking of what to do with myself." he replied. "If I'm not thrown in prison, I'm definitely losing my land and title... but now that I think about it, they've done nothing but cause me trouble, maybe I'll be better off without them."

Niko gave a shrug. "I always told myself I'd never get involved with nobility. Course, now that I'm neck deep in their problems, I'm seeing just how wise that was of me. There's nothing wrong with not having titles or land. Probably attract mess attention that way which is always nice."

"You wouldn't be wrong on that one. It's so impersonal. Nobody's nice to you because they like you, it's because they usually want something." he replied. "When I was little, I used to play with the village children. I sometimes wondered if they actually ever liked me. It'd be nice to be judged for who I am rather than what I have."

"So leave it behind. I'm sure you're a decent fighter. There are plenty of mercenary groups out there looking for men. If you agreed to leave Wyke, I'm sure the prince would let you leave if only to make his sister happy. You can make a living you can be proud of instead of living the life thrust upon you by your birth."

"That's not a bad idea, I was thinking a new start would help me out." Dettard answered, sitting himself down on a chair. "Owen would be glad if he never saw me again... I wouldn't miss him too much, but his sister is another story. She considers me her brother after all this, I've never seen such kindness from anyone."

Wiping a tear from his eye, Dettard spotted a chessboard on the side. "Do you play? I don't mind teaching you if you don't. It's got to be better than sitting around feeling sorry for myself, right? I used to play a lot with my father... the elder Dettard. You remind me a lot of him in so many ways."

Niko nodded. "The princess is an interesting character... I never quite know what to expect from her. But I do know she has kindness in her."

He frowned at the sight of the chessboard. "I... have played before. But not for a long time. I mostly played it with my parents when I was young. I think my father viewed it as a way to train my mind towards tactical thinking. Still, I suppose I can play, even if I won't be much of a challenge." He sat down though was slightly startled at the final comment the man made. "Your father? Why do you say that?"

"I'd always ask him questions, but he'd never give an answer right away. He always said to think about things in context." he replied, setting up the board. "I always thought that it was because he didn't want to commit, but now I know he just wanted to consider both sides."

"I see. It's a good way of looking things. It's hard to make a fair judgement when you only have one side of the story." He sat down and began to help set up the board, though he stopped with a slight sigh at the next line of questioning. "My name is Niko. And no. I didn't. All my magic, I learned from my father and through years of practice during battles. A bit more practical study as opposed to theoretical study I suppose you could say."

Dettard seemed somewhat impressed, stopping halfway through setting up the board. "How curious, most mages require years of education to even light a candle. Perhaps you have a knack for it? It's certainly an interesting talent to have. The most I've been able to do is use a sword and write a sonnet or two, I think magic may be beyond my abilities."

Putting the last few pieces on with Niko's help, Dettard looked dreamily at the board. "It's funny how the king is the most important but also so feeble. Even his pawns are nearly as powerful as him, yet they're considered less valuable. They can do more if they try, but only at the expense of other pieces."

Niko gave a slight shrug as he continued placing pieces. "It's something I was trained with from an early age. I was also trained with some weapons, but I never enjoyed them as much. I suppose that's part of growing up in a mercenary group. You learn how to fight and be an asset to the group."

As the pieces were set up, he looked back at the man. "Did you want to choose which of us moves first or do it randomly?" He picked up one pawn from each side, turning them over in his hands as the man philosophized. "It's true. The king... a figurehead almost. The real power lies in those surrounding him. The pawns... sometimes it seems they're better used as sacrifices. Allow them to die to save those who are more important. And yet, if placed just right... Suddenly they're just as important. Still. No one wants to be a pawn, where your destiny depends solely on the whims of those around you." He swapped the pieces around in his hands a few times before holding out his closed hands to the man. "Your choice."

Gewaint paused, tapping the man's left hand. "I wonder if the King's ever sad when he has to sacrifice pawns. He has a lot of them, but it's not like he can get any more." he replied, amazed by how a simple game seemed to mean so much. "I don't really like the idea of being a chessmaster or a king, I've realised how cruel it can be. Not that being a pawn is much better, but at least they have the option to prove their own worth and move on to other things."

Niko opened his hand, an onyx pawn laying on it. He placed it down, and shifted the board around so that the alabaster pieces were in front of him. Placing the pawn that had been in his other hand down, he surveyed the board before moving the first pawn out. "The pawns move according to his whim. I suspect they're simply pieces to hide behind and sacrifice to him. Why should he care if he loses a pawn? He has his queen and his knights to protect him. They are simply fodder. Perhaps it would be better for the pawns to have never gotten involved in the game at all. Leave the king exposed and let the powers fight among themselves."

Watching Niko make his move, Gewaint pushed forwards his own pawn. "But when the King is unable to defend himself, he must rely on his men. Surely he needs to keep them alive in order to survive for himself? If he doesn't watch over them carefully, he shall get the defeat he deserves."

As the game continued, Niko let out a quiet sigh. "You'd think that, wouldn't you? But sometimes, sacrificing the pawn gives him an advantage. So why not do it? They're just pawns after all. Still. It's true. They at least provide him a useful line of defense." He frowned at the chess board, before moving another piece into threatening one of Dettard's pieces. "If you remove all his pieces, he is defenseless before you."

Dettard considered his options, thinking hard before making his play. "I sometimes even wonder why he's on the board. If people are just going to drop dead trying to keep him safe, maybe he shouldn't even be there." Dettard wasn't bad by any means, he had a fairly good grasp of the game - the chances were he'd played it a lot more and more recently than Niko had.

Niko shrugged, and continued playing, heavily suspecting that he was out of his league here. "Not much of a game if you don't have anything to protect. If there's no king, why would the two armies even be fighting?"

Taking one of Niko's pieces, Dettard stretched his arms. "Maybe it would better if they didn't. They might be different colours, but they look similar enough to me." he replied, gazing out at the window. "I wonder who Owen will pass my land to... he's got a few of his own pawns he could promote."

"Mmm, and then we would lose our game." Which he was definitely losing. Ah well. Taking one of the man's pieces, he looked up, slightly in surprise. "It's true, there are a few who could take that land. I know nothing about that though. I highly doubt I'd even be considered for it, so it's not something I've given any thought to."

Dettard moved another piece, blocking Niko's attack. "You probably wouldn't want it anyway. You'd have to start talking to nobles on a regular basis, it's the part I didn't like. Even in nobles there's a hierachy. To a commoner, you were godlike, but to another noble you were dirt on their shoe." he explained. "He might even split it to be honest, it's big enough to house at least two Counts."

The game was rapidly going downhill from what Niko could tell but he pushed on, moving another piece into position. "Well, as I said before, I've never wanted to get involved with nobles and their games, so I'm fine with not being considered. I simply meant I didn't really know what was going on with that. Splitting it might work. Probably he'll give it to one of the men who helped him take it in the first place. Seems like a reasonable way to handle it."

"Then you probably made the right choice." Dettard answered, moving his queen forwards. "Money is something you need to live, but I have a feeling the more you own, the less life you actually have. The unfortunate girl with the lance in the dungeon might get something, I have a feeling the King would want to reward anyone who saved his children."

"... Girl with a lance?" He couldn't mean... Niko moved, hardly paying attention right now as he was amused at a thought. "This... girl. Blue hair? Wearing a pegasus rider uniform?"

Taking another piece, Dettard nodded. "Yes, that's right. She looked as if she were a pegasus rider... although I can't say that Engel had been kind with her features... but that doesn't matter when you take such brave actions into account."

Niko burst out laughing as he took one of Dettard's pieces. "Ah yes, that brave rider is a member of my mercenary group. Specifically, his name is Doug."

Dettard let out a sigh of relief. "At least that explains it. I was going to be feel sorry for Doug, but I suppose I'm more puzzled than anything else." he laughed. Moving his pawn forward, it looked like he was starting to pin Niko's king down into a corner. "That does leave other questions, but his lance is good, so I can keep my curiosity to myself."

"So far as he's told me, it's the only way he could get his pegasus to accept him as a rider. That should answer at least one of those questions. And yes, he's skilled. He's a credit to the reliants. Though I'm afraid my current showing is not. I suspect I'm about to lose." He moved a piece in an attempt to stave off defeat for a few turns at least.

Dettard smiled, it sounded ridiculous, but Niko seemed content enough about the matter. "Don't be, I've probably had more time to spend playing, instead of actually... well, doing work." he laughed, moving his piece forward. "You can probably stall a few more turns, but you might be right."

Niko frowned as he was forced to sacrifice the queen to take a pawn. "And sometimes the pawns can cause the highest to fall..."

Dettard had victory in his clutches, it was only a matter of moves before Niko's king was trapped. "So really, they're actually pretty important then?" he replied, tapping his fingers on his thigh. "The rest of the pieces need them, pawns help keep them safe too."

Sighing, Niko took the rook as he waited for the axe to fall. "Indeed, it seems they are important after all. They can trap a king, force a queen into a dangerous position, and yet on the flip side an protect those who need it, even if it means they sacrifice themselves in the act. Still. It's easy to view them in a solely negative context. Perhaps because that is how we're always told to view them. As worthless."

Dettard moved his piece forwards, ending the game. "It shouldn't be like that though, the nobles would starve and suffer without the work of the common man." he replied, a suppressed passion in his voice. "A king too afraid to risk his own life to save his kin has no right to rule! Just because there are more commoners than nobles does not mean that they are less valuable."

"Save his own kin? Anyways, I agree with you. Though it is strange to find any of noble blood that feels the same." He flicked his king over with a defeated gesture. "But regardless of how you and I feel, they still have the power to do what they wish with people like me."

Dettard had claimed victory on the board, but the words that he'd heard were far more important. "I enjoyed that, Niko... I hope we'll be able to play again one day." he sighed, sitting himself back in his chair. "I'd lend you my board if I had it with me, perhaps next time."

"We'll see. I have a long way to go before I'm competitive with you I suspect but still." Niko stood, stretched and looked out the window at the dark sky. "Hmm, I wonder when they'll be returning. I've enjoyed our time here but given I still have no real idea what's going on here... Well, please don't be offended when I say I'd rather not have to do this longterm. As I said, I have no interest getting caught up in politics."

Dettard didn't appear to mind, Niko had been company at least. "Hopefully Owen will tell me what he has planned. I don't really like the idea of being cooped up in the tower like a delicate maiden." he replied. "I think I might head for Myrcia. I've had enough of nobility, a state governed by the peoples' choice sounds far more appealing to me. Perhaps I'll even find work there."

"Good luck. If you've any skill with a weapon then you should be fine. Mercenary groups are always hiring. I've hired three in the week we've been here, though our numbers were slightly lower than standard so it's a bit of a special case." Niko leaned against the wall again, settling in for the wait until he was relieved from guard duty.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"... Yours truly, Anthony Montana."

Sidney exhaled sharply, putting the letter from her father aside and collapsing back on the bed. That's... fine. About as good as I could hope for. Disappointed in what I'd done, but at least glad things are looking up. Really, this is basically as expected... father hasn't changed a bit. She smirked at the thought, setting the letter on her desk before thinking over her plans for the day. She opted to wear her combat clothing for the first time since arriving in the city, donning her white shirt, black pants, brown boots, and finally red coat- perhaps it was the relief she felt from finally communicating with her family. Dressed and ready, she grabbed her bow and headed off to the army barracks. Though she'd passed it several times, Sidney hadn't yet visited herself, and for once she was in proper gear to do so.

Cass felt a shock of paranoia hit her as the bishop's name slipped into her ear. Emwrthod... Mr. E. Cass shook her head quickly, trying to smile. "I see... Would it be at all possible to see him just a bit sooner? I don't have anywhere to be, but... Well, a princess can't spend her time waiting about for at most an hour. If not him, is there anyone else that could help? I was just looking to get some practice in, if anything." I might have better luck just going to the barracks and healing the soldiers during their training, at this rate. All of the mumbo jumbo about Engel bothered her as well. Not on a personal level, just, religion was something she had a hard time with. Leaving fate up to someone else all willy nilly like that, it seemed foolish to her.

The maid had been rather surprised to spoken to by Alain, although she seemed more than happy to oblige. "He's in an important meeting right now, but I'll ask him... in fact, if you catch the Prince after he's finished, I'm sure he'll be happy to speak with you!" she replied, returning to her dusting. "Our Prince Owen is a very reasonable young man, I've neevr seem him ever get angry with anyone."

--

Rat Trap

The guildmaster looked at Serge, wondering why he'd even care. "This guy? He's got ties to the criminal underworld, he's been seen about at a couple of crime scenes. Never been caught though, the little bugger always slips away. The bounty started small but built up over the years, nobody really bothers, it's just a waste of time." he replied, more interested in admiring a sword mounted on the wall. "You can try for it if you like, not worth the effort if you ask me."

--

Barracks

Sidney was met with a few funny looks as she entered the barracks, nobody really knew much of her and her attire did her no favours. Captain Hogan stopped her at the door, understably suspicious of the young woman. "Yer got a reason for being here, miss?" he asked, standing imposingly in front of her. "Can't just let anyone be waltzing into the barracks, area's reserved for military personnel and Wyke's nobility. Yer might have a reason to be here, but yer gonna have to run it by someone senior before I'm letting you in."

--

Our Lord and Saviour

The sister shook her head, her hair waving underneath her hood. "I'm afraid not, his excellency has a divine duty to Engel. His work cannot be interrupted, I'm very sorry. However, if you were looking to become closer to the Lord, there are several passages in the holy texts which can bring your heart closer to him. In fact there's one verse in particular drawing the power of healing and the virtues of faith together."

If he's too busy then I'm not waiting around. "That's alright. Thank you for your time, sister. May Engel be with you," and all that other nonsense. Cass did smile, before walking out. She was still paranoid being there, so getting out of that church did her nerves a huge favor. "Ahhh, where to, then? I suppose the training grounds, but... Ugh that might mean... Talmot..." Cass hadn't seen hide nor hair of the man since the incident, but didn't exactly know what to say to him if she did... "No time like the present... Maybe. I don't know what to do if he's really done with me, but... I guess talking can't hurt? Well of course it can, but... I just have to go in with a cool head and not snap at him." Cass sighed, and made for the castle, and her room. She'd need to actually get her healing staffs if she was to get practical experience in.

What? Sidney was immediately unamused with the situation. "I am Lady Charlotte Sidney Montana from Raewald, a personal guest of Prince Owen's at the palace. I have some skill in archery, but I'm out of practice since I arrived at the capital, and I thought this would be a good place to train- evidently not if I can't enter."

"Yes of course, I'll wait. But do please let him know. Until then, I'll be in my chambers," he said. No point floundering through foreign halls when he could get back to reading the book the man from the Codger had given him.

No Dice

Hogan contemplated Sidney's request for moment, before shaking his head - and sticking to his guns. "Look here, Miss. If yer be a noble, that's fair enough, but this is the first I've 'eard of you. For all I know yer be a spy or a troublemaker, yer certainly don't dress or act fancy, so excuse me if I'm not welcomin' you with open arms." he replied, adamant in his decision. "I can't let yer in without permission, that's the bottom line."

"I see..." And no doubt him showing up at Big Stan's murder was yet another tally to the list of crimes Ratman has been around. No wonder he's so scared all the time. He was being blamed simply by being at the wrong place at the wrong time. At least, he hoped this was the case. Still, explaining this would be hard without seeming guilty of something himself. He wasn't exactly sure if or how he could fix this. The law was after him, and no doubt the punishment for someone with such a bounty was nothing short of cruel.

Still, according to the guildmaster, no one tries to go after him. Probably because he knows his way around. ...Every time he looked back at that board, he couldn't help but stare at that bounty. That would all go to him...wouldn't it? No, he was part of the Reliants. Niko would probably take most of it for the guild. Hell, he wasn't even sure if he would get paid at all. Serge shook his head. No. Such thoughts were horrible. He shouldn't think about betraying the trust of Ratty. Not after he's helped Serge twice now. ...And yet... If he took that bounty for himself, it probably be enough to at least get his family over to Wyke. Out of that horrible setting. Maybe even out of poverty. NO!

Serge had gone outside the guildhall. He had no idea how to handle this. He had never had this situation before. If he told anyone, there was little doubt that they would attempt to go after it themselves. Then again, he had little idea where he was. The only general place he knew where Ratty was was in that part of town, and considering that it was even more dangerous to be there, he would probably get himself killed. Still...he needed to find Ratman. Somehow... Maybe Larissa had ways of getting around...

"I see... thank you for your efforts, Sebastian. If you are at present finished with them, I'd like to take some time to further study those documents, myself. If we're to have any want to get this matter solved, I'll need to familiarize myself with our... candidates." Adele replied, reciting the names to herself, in her head.

Staffs procured, Cass made her way to the barracks, only to be greeted with an amusing moment. "Sidney? Hogan? What's the issue?" Cass went over, looking between the two of them. "Is something wrong? She didn't do something, did she?" Cass asked with a small sneer. "Watch out, she's got sticky fingers. Sometimes you just can't get out what she's got in her palms. A natural~" Cass snickered some, giving Sidney a wink.

"I'm not dressed fancy because I wouldn't want my clothes to be ruined in my training efforts," Sidney explained. That's perfectly reasonable! I just can't ever get a lucky break. Further misfortune struck when Cass threw shade at her with Hogan. "I'm just here to try and do some practice and the first thing you assume is I did something wrong! Honestly, Cass! Where's the justice?"

"Remember what I said about teasing~ I've plenty to make up on; don't give it if you can't take it," Cass said with a smile and a raised eyebrow, wondering if Sidney realized how much teasing she'd condensed into those few days. "Anyway, Hogan, while she is a thief, she's actually nobility-- From Raewald, in fact. She's here as Owen's guest, so if you could, please allow her to use the grounds. I'm here for other reasons. I'd like some practical healing experience. Any trainees beating their brains out around here?"

Edited by Melissa

It turned out working for Adeltrudis left Emmet with a lot of free time, at least currently. Something he was thankful of. Any information he could find about the strange vial had dried up so he decided to get some extra work on the side. He headed towards the mercenaries guild and found one of his companions already there. "Hey Sergent. Looking for some extra cash too? Need some help on a job?" Emmet didn't particularly want to split the profits but this would be a good opportunity to get to know his fellow mercenaries.

A letter for Doug?

Doug had been brought a letter by one of Adele's servants, a slightly off white envelope with a simple rubber seal. It didn't appear to be overly formal, but it was by no means a scrap.

"I have seen your pegasus in the stables and I am interested in purchasing it. Money is not an issue, and I have several things I would be willing to give you in exchange. Meet me at the royal stables at noon."

Leads

"I'll continue investigations, Lady Adeltrudis." Sebastian replied. "If we follow the activity of the suspects, we might be able to get some idea of who's most active. If they were this intent on causing trouble, I doubt they will stop after the first hurdle."

Princess' Word

Hogan had been ready to deal with Sidney himself, the young woman seemed far too suspicious to let in. Cass' timing had been perfect, Sidney hadn't made a good impression at all. "Eh? She's actually a guest? Well, colour me yellow and call me a lemon. If the Princess knows who yer are, it's fine by me." he replied, still looking at Sidney with a disapproving eye. "I don't really hold up in court, but the barracks are my domain, follow the rules and you'll not run into trouble."

Stopping to think, Hogan seemed to light up after a moment. "It's a quiet day princess, not many men here today... but we do have Baron Nelon with us, he's not bad with a lance... there was a soldier looking fer yer earlier too, must have just missed you. She should be inside, I told her you'd probably stop by."

Freya is free to post!

Edited by Shin

"Aha, Princess Cassandra!" One of the soldiers from the barracks made her way to the door quickly, quite out of breath. It was readily apparent why she was tired with a look at her armor. "Hoped you'd swing around here eventually. Name's Freya; been assigned to lend you a hand with keeping you safe, for increased safety from now on. Not sure what made things change from before, but I know my orders." Freya shrugged, a gesture made more awkward by her garb. "'Course, I ain't clueless, and everyone knows at least a little about you round these parts, so I know you like to keep yourself free. Long as you're safe, I reckon you'd prefer me not to stick too close, and that's fine with me."

Doug was walking through House Herman with a new spunk in his step. He was still sporting a pair of pants, though it was a new pair. He decided a new wardrobe was in order. Now, people looked at him differently. No more funny looks from passing strangers. He thought a maid gave him a second look (he replied with a wink and a smile). Doug even had some fan mail, or so he thought. He saved the letter for a private reading, hoping for a love letter.

But first, a flight around the estate. Doug hadn't been riding for a while, as things have been somewhat peaceful since the last attempt on the lives of Wykian royalty. He didn't mind, but also didn't want to get rusty. He made his ways to the stable area, where his pegasus Oldtimer was being held. Doug had tried to enter his stable, but the pegasus quickly rebuffed any efforts for the rider to get close. Doug's new pants made it nearly impossible for the half-blind senile pegasus to recognize.

"Hey, it's me! Don't be a dope!" Doug exclaimed to his mount. If only he could figure out what Oldtimer was thinking...

"Neeeigghhh, you are not my rider. Ms. Doug has bare maiden legs. They are not hidden behind cloth. Prove yourself to me! Show me your boobs! Neeeiiigghhh!"

Doug kept attempting to get on, but Oldtimer reared up, threatening to kick Doug away.

"Neeighhh! Only Ms. Doug can manhandle me like that! Yes, she would grab the back of my mane. It hurts, but it's the good kind... Her legs wrap around my body in loving embrace..."

At this point, Oldtimer started breathing heavily. Doug feared he was exhausting the pegasus. He had no choice: the dress would have to come back on.

"Fine," Doug said in frustration, grabbing the saddlebag hanging next to the stable. He entered a room to change. Minutes later, he reappeared in his usual peg knight dress, much to the pleasure of Oldtimer.

"There she is! Now get that sweet ass on top of me! Neeeigghhh..."

Once again, Doug found Oldtimer much more agreeable once his pants were dropped. He was frustrated; how could he get back to riding without crossdressing? The rider decided to get his mind off the issue with the letter he received. It turned out that it was not a love letter but an offer to buy his pegasus. Doug was perplexed: why would anyone want with an old pegasus? He was having trouble, but could he really give up his steed?

"No need for a saddle, Ms. Doug. Just...let your skin touch mine...neeiggghhh...."

Oldtimer's heavy breathing continued; Doug was considering getting some sort of doctor to look him over. He hoped exposure to the open air would steady his breathing. As they rode, Doug had the offer on his mind. Oldtimer had other things...

"Oh what adventures will we have today? Ms. Doug and the Pirate? Ms. Doug and the Butler? The Mage Girl? What happens behind my head is up to my own imagination. Oh, what dirty things will you do beyond my gaze, Ms. Doug? Neeiigghh...."

"Nelon? I don't think we've met. Well, perhaps I'll see about that." About to enter, Cass gave a quick wave to Sidney, before she was rushed at by another soldier. A plain girl, brown hair, no real defining features, other than some freckles. The subject matter was worrisome, though. "Uh... Right, by who?" Who would assign me extra protection? Barely anyone knows what happened that night... "And you're quite right, I would rather not have you stuck to me. I barely know you. So, do keep your space, yes? If you must follow me around..." How frustrating... Between this girl and Angus, I'll never be left alone. She huffed quietly.

Edited by Melissa

Owen felt the meeting wouldn't bring good news, and right he was. Owen suppressed his reaction at the news of his father's health, only looking down to the floor for a moment. Engel above, he can barely form sentences? Biting the inner cheek to stop himself from a worse reaction, Owen continued listening to Duke Herman intently. "I see... I understand." Prince Regent, I can't believe it... how am I going to keep this hidden from Cass and mother?

Before the thoughts even had a chance to settle in, though, Earl Valter bombarded Owen with the kingdom's current issues, one to which squire Angus rose a good point. That's true, if Count Alleun had so much trouble with his land's poor harvests and bandit problems, I doubt sending him away would do his county favours. Unless the man was really bad with money, but it didn't seem that way to Owen. "Well, let's begin with Dettard's lands." Owen spoke up, "I agree that splitting his lands would seem wise now, they were rather big for a barony. My idea one lot of land a bit less than two thirds of its original size would be assigned a baron, and the annexed land would be given a Count. Would you have another suggestion, Earl Valter?" Owen paused to allow the Earl, and any of the others present, to chime in.

"As for the matter of a commander to our border forces..." Owen pondered a brief moment on the options that seemed more viable. Hmm, Baron Nelon is the safer option, I concur, but I'd rather his experience if we end up granting Raewald some aid... I can't help but feel he'd give a good performance and a better impression. "I you pardon me asking, General Gringolett, what do you mean of Escablor's eagerness?"

Edited by Xinnidy

"Huh?" It was Emmet. The newest recruit to the Reliants. Newer than Serge himself. And the man that murdered Big Stan. "...No, nothing really good. Just some merchants asking for escorts to places. We can't exactly leave Hull, though, so that's out of the question." He technically wasn't lying. The guildmaster had suggested not going after Ratty, and that's the usual sign of a bad job. That's how it worked, right? "Shame. Was really looking to stretch my legs and get some pay while I'm at it, but alas, looks like we got unlucky." He shrugged.

He was still trying to decide what to do. Who to go to. Certainly, it wasn't going to be Emmet. Not after that incident in the sewers. He would shoot Ratty faster than any reflex he had. He sighed, looking as disappointed as possible.

"Relax, princess. Someone told me that they'd been told by someone I'm to look out for you, but there's no need to judge me so quick. I ain't here to be your nanny and treat you like a child, I'm just a guard and you're a princess. There's a difference between the two situations." It was annoying to be dismissed so quickly, but it was also to be expected based on what she'd heard, so at least Freya knew not to take the situation personally. "I take my job seriously, but I know you've got your boundaries and I respect them. I would appreciate not being brushed off right away for trying to lend a hand" The soldier woman cleared her throat for a moment. "That being said, if you wish to be left a lone a bit more, might I suggest you have me perform any small tasks you might need done?"

Edited by Juliette

Lord of all breakfasts

Hogan lead Cass and, begrudgingly, Sidney through to the barracks, the hall far less full than in previous days. A few of the recruits were doing drills, knocking about wooden dummies with training weapons. "He's a quiet fella, sharp as a hawk though, man's more comfortable on the field than he is in court." Hogan added, pointing to a tall man at the back of the hall. His black curly hair seemed vaguely familar, and curiously enough, the man seemed to have a spoon at his belt, almost like a charm.

Hogan pondered, trying to place Freya. He'd seen her about, but she wasn't terribly memorable.

"Got a few rookies, but that's pretty much it. They're a green bunch, most of them never actually held a real weapon before. If yer want to patch them up, Princess, be my guest."

--

Decisions

Valter listened to Owen, almost as if he were judging the Prince's possible response. "I would recommend that you assigned land to Kearney. His majesty, Duke Herman and I were impressed by the reports we received from your recent campaign. It would be more fitting than your advisor held some sort of formal title too." he replied, almost perfectly rehearsed. "There aren't really any other eligible lordlings to assign territory to. As much as I hate to say, your father requested that a Douglas Magee be assigned a title. I can't imagine why, he's a foreigner and a low class mercenary, but nonetheless, his Majesty has requested it."

"Esclabor's known for taking risks in battle. They usually pay off, but he suffers casualties because of them. He would be my personal choice, someone with a little more kick may push things in our favour. Nelon is likely just to hold them back and not make progress." Gringolett replied, checking through some papers in front of him. "However, I fully respect the decision you make, regardless of your choice."

Great, another soldier full of sass and talk back. Cass sighed internally, trying not to react to what was being said. Truthfully, her dealings with Sidney had matured her, somewhat. At least in being able to deal with those she found less than pleasant. "The only thing I would like from you is to inform me of who gave you orders. 'Someone' isn't going to hold water. If you can do that, at least, then I'll relent, but times are trying recently, and I need to know I can trust the people hanging around me." She tried to toss a reason in there, not wanting to drag this out further than it needed to be.

"Thank you, Hogan. That's Nelon, eh? Seems he'd put up a decent conversation, at least. I'll see to him and then see about your rookies. Maybe they'd be willing to bash their heads together for a while, as long as I fix up whatever they do to each other." Cass slowly started for Nelon, hoping this Freya would answer her before she got too far away.

"What the hell, Cass? It's not teasing to label someone as a thief!" Sidney felt perfectly right complaining, even if her word let her enter. Luck finally seemed to come her way with this new arrival Freya, bringing a smirk to her face. "Well, aren't you ever so popular, princess? How lucky of you to have so many assistants willing to help you at any turn- truly, Engel smiles upon you." She pat the princess's shoulder mockingly, aware by now of her distaste for physical contact, and followed the instructor throughout the barracks. "Do you have any sort of advice for to give for someone looking to practice archery?"

"Is that so" Emmet said. "Well I think I'll head inside anyway and scout out the place. I've been here nearly two weeks now and haven't had a chance yet. If you do need any help with something don't be afraid to seek me out."

Emmet enters the mercenary's guild.