the Zelda timeline stifles creativity with Ganon (spoilers)

I mean, Ganondorf is dead on all three main timelines, and he could not be alive before Ocarina of Time

how exactly could Ganon come back without going ever further into the Downfall Timeline like ALBW. There's probably some potential for around that time and before Zelda 1, but still.

I don't think a game would ever come after Zelda II because it barely makes sense anymore from a story perspective which is why it was shoved off to the end

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magic!

Maybe he was properly revived at some point between OoX and ALBW and that's a future game.

Or maybe we'll get more timeline-fu with like Ganon getting what he wanted at the end of TWW or something.

I mean it's already crazy we can make it crazier!

I don't think Nintendo cares very much about the timeline. If they want Ganondorf to appear then we will, even if it conflicts with the timeline.

But its not to hard to shove Ganon into the story after Skywards sword. He just reincarnates in accordance to Demise's curse just as Link and Zelda do. He already seemed to have done so in Four Swords where its a different Ganon altogether.

There could also be a game between OOT and Wind Waker. Ganondorf briefly escapes imprisonment and in the end is sealed again by another Link.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

how about we ignore the fact that the stupid terrible zelda timeline exists and instead just let the games stand on their own with what they do to establish their settings instead of some stupid timeline that was clearly not acknowledged during the production of most of the games

how about we ignore the fact that the stupid terrible zelda timeline exists and instead just let the games stand on their own with what they do to establish their settings instead of some stupid timeline that was clearly not acknowledged during the production of most of the games

eh, I'd argue on that sort of

Zelda II was always a sequel to Zelda I

ALttP was advertised as a prequel to both

Link's Awakening was always considered a sequel to ALttP

Interviews around OoT's development stated that it was a prequel to ALttP.

However, Ocarina splitting off created some issue with the games that already existed but

Majora takes place right after Link tells Zelda about Ganondorf in the past based on context clues. Stuff like the Skull Kid and the Ocarina of Time exist.

Twilight Princess follows the execution and has very similar features to OoT's Hyrule.

Wind Waker was very clearly meant to be after Link left as an adult in OoT. Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks obviously follow.

Obviously Minish Cap and the Four Swords throw a wrench in this, but a makeshift Zelda timeline kinda always existed.

eh, I'd argue on that sort of

Zelda II was always a sequel to Zelda I

ALttP was advertised as a prequel to both

Link's Awakening was always considered a sequel to ALttP

Interviews around OoT's development stated that it was a prequel to ALttP.

well yeah there's a reason I said "most of" the games

i'm fully aware that some of them are connected I have played zelda games before but the whole big split timeline shit is just plain bad and unnecessary

http://zeldawiki.org/images/7/7c/Timeline_Hyrule_Historia.jpg

"The Resurrection of Ganon"

"The Resurrection of Ganon Is Prevented"

"The Reincarnation of Ganon"

"Ganondorf is Resurrurected"

Ganondorf is like Bowser. Even if you literally throw him into a black hole, he'll still come back. And just like Bowser, his ad nauseam failure is basically a joke at this point.

In the Adult Timeline (Wind Waker Timeline), Link just seals Ganondorf and is not effectively killed. Honestly, the King of Red Lions should've just wished that the curse is broken, or to remove Ganondorf from existence but no. He decided to stay in flooding Hyrule and die with Ganondorf. So the Adult Timeline could have some sort of a thing where Ganondorf breaks free from the seal while the water levels are decreasing.

Pretty much what Zera said. Ganondorf is constantly resurrected by his troops. But here's the run-down anyway. [spoilers]

Ganondorf first appeared (chronologically) in Ocarina of Time, where he was trying to gain access to the Sacred Realm. During the fight with Link, he called upon his Triforce of Power to transform into the King of Porkness, Ganon. By calling upon his Triforce, he can transform at will. Depend on the end result of the fight, the time-line splits one of two ways.

If Link is victorious in his fight, Ganondorf is sealed within the Sacred Realm where he can be kept an eye on. Following Zelda into the "Adult Timeline" at Wind Waker, Ganondorf escapes due to still having the Triforce of Power. At the end of the game, he is turned to stone by the Master Sword, forever sealed.

Following Link into the "Child Timeline" down to Twilight Princess, we are shown that Ganondorf is to be executed, due to Link telling Zelda about his upcoming plans in Ocarina of Time. He escapes execution, but is sealed into the Twilight Realm. There he meets Zant and manipulates him into helping him escape. Once again, Ganondorf is defeated by sticking the Master Sword in him.

Both of these timelines can be explained further in later games, but no news on that yet.

Should Link lose the fight against Ganon in OoT, we go to the fallen Timeline, where Ganondorf has taken over the Sacred Realm and twisted to form what is now known as the "Dark World." Once again, he is defeated, but is brought back to life in (the shared ending of) the Oracle games by way of Twinrova. He is defeated here once again. Then he's brought back by Yuga in A Link Between Worlds and again somehow in the original game. He is prevented from returning by the magical crystals in Zelda II.

Sometime after his defeat in the Oracle games, the Triforce of Power was handed down to Impa to guard.

This all happens due to the curse Demise put on Link and Zelda at the end of Skyward Sword, claiming that his spiritual successor (Ganondorf Dragmire) will forever continue to lay waste on the Kingdom of Hyrule and is forever "linked" to the heroes.

Edited by Power Master

I really don't like the timelines.

Since everytimes you play the song of time in Majora's Mask, there is an apocalyptic world where the moon has destroyed Termina.

-

Also Demise isn't really a being but more a concept or primordial force that embodies hatred. (It seems that its appearance changes over ages, also that it has a strong connection with the "red" earth and the goddess Din)

Edited by Naughx

honestly the Zelda series got way too complicated after Skyward Sword

because apparently to some degree, all the worlds evils every Link and Zelda face is a reincarnation of Ganon

according to Demise

Demise is a dark god. He is the root of the evils, not Ganon. Similar to how Hylia basically gave Zelda the ability to reincarnate because Hylia is Zelda, but his curse made Link and Zelda reincarnate with him.

think Greek mythology I guess, and Hylia and Demise are probably higher up than the Golden Goddesses.

The timeline does make sense, given the theorists who put it together. And it is canon, so you can't say it doesn't matter.

It's really easy to follow, actually. Just remember that SS, MC, FS came first

Ocarina is where the timeline splits and MM and TP are the "okay ending"

WW, PH and ST are the true ending

And lastly, the SNES and such games(including ALBW) are apart of the bad ending.

The timeline does make sense, given the theorists who put it together. And it is canon, so you can't say it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter