Masu

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie: 20/3

Nolan: 15/6

That's it...

15/6? You promoted him when he gained 6 levels? Why not wait until he gets to 20? ._.

Leonardo is on the fast track to being in my hall of fame this playthrough. He's already level 13 towards at 1-5 and has only not gained speed once.

I love when guys get stat blessed.

Too bad he's bad more than he is good. >_<

Right now I'm in part 1 endgame and i have promoted Arzn and Edward. About to promote Leonardo, Nolam, and Meg, Fiona. Lvl varies from 17-19 XD first time i have done this. so happy.

You kidding? Guy gains on average 4 stats a level. He's awesome.

Low speed on an archer is pretty much an automatic down, especially in the team he comes with. Having less than average defense and strength only makes things worse. His Resistance cap is too low to make use of his good res growth, so most of his stat gains go into HP, skill, and luck.

Slow archers don't bother me at all. In fact, I prefer them because most the time, attacking a second time is just wasting another arrow if it doesn't quite finish off the guy. Besides, it's never been so bad he's been a liability for me. You'd have to get significantly screwed for that.

His strength is just fine. 40% growth in any other FE game would make him one of the strongest guys in the game. People that hate on this strength and say Shinon is fine are kind of weird in my books because they have the same strength growth.

Low defense doesn't matter because he's an archer, same reason low defense doesn't matter on Micaiah or Sanaki or Rolf or anyone at all with ranged weaponry. He's got the HP to take a hit in case he has to, anyway.

People can hate on him all they want but he's still a perfectly great unit.

Slow archers don't bother me at all. In fact, I prefer them because most the time, attacking a second time is just wasting another arrow if it doesn't quite finish off the guy. Besides, it's never been so bad he's been a liability for me. You'd have to get significantly screwed for that.

His strength is just fine. 40% growth in any other FE game would make him one of the strongest guys in the game. People that hate on this strength and say Shinon is fine are kind of weird in my books because they have the same strength growth.

Low defense doesn't matter because he's an archer, same reason low defense doesn't matter on Micaiah or Sanaki or Rolf or anyone at all with ranged weaponry. He's got the HP to take a hit in case he has to, anyway.

People can hate on him all they want but he's still a perfectly great unit.

He's a liability for me... Playstyles, I suppose.

Shinon starts higher, and since the growth is under 50%, Leonardo is more likely to be screwed than blessed. You understand this principle, yes?

They shouldn't be attacked, yes, but it does happen, especially in this game, and even more so with the Dawn Brigade. Rolf has the speed and defense to dodge and take more hits when needed. Micaiah and Sanaki will likely be killed...

People already don't like Archers. I do, but I find Rolf and Shinon to be better. Leo isn't bad, IMO, just not as good as others.

Especially in this game? :|

Man, I really have to record one of my playthroughs one of these days for serious. I'm not saying he doesn't get hit, but only because I let it happen just so Laura will have something to do next round.

For the record, my least two favorite unit types in the entire series are Clerics and Troubadors. I'm not saying I don't use them (because Bishops and Valkyries make up for the lack of use their unpromoted selves) but when I've only got to heal a guy every other round or so, they tend to lag behind in levels REAL BAD. I didn't get Mist to Valkyrie in PoR until like chapter 27 even though I used her every map just because I was trying to get an A-Rank support with Boyd. (I didn't pump her full of bonus experience, but still.)

Heal every turn, even when it isn't needed. FE9 Mist is the first one to reach 20/20 when I play, and that's with completing chapters relatively quickly; fast enough to get the max amount of turn-based bexp (on average. Sometimes slightly faster or slower). And I don't give her but about 500 bexp the whole game.

Also, upgrade: Promoted Nolan and Jill at the end of 1-7 this time (hard mode again).

btw...

You kidding? Guy gains on average 4 stats a level. He's awesome.

Yeah, but in all the wrong places. He has huge growths in skl and res, the stats the matter least. His growths in the most important stats (str, spd, def) are below average.

Edited by Reikken

I do heal every turn. I occasionally put guys in harm's way just so they take damage so I have someone to heal on my turn. Serious, most the time none of my guys are even taking a single point of damage in a round.

That's one reason I have a hard on for pro-promote sage units in the GBA games and Elincia in FE9/10. The ability to attack and heal from the getgo? YAY.

edit:

And Leo's strength is not below average. His strength gain is on par with Tauroneo, Brom, Astrid, Makalov, Shinon, Kyza, Janaff, Tibarn, Caineghis and Gareth. If anything, it's the definition of average. His speed is on the lower end of the spectrum, but according to average, it'll still max at 20/20/20, and even then, he's fast enough to not get doubled even if he's not doing the double attacking himself. Considering he's the only marksman with the potential to double-attack during end-game (due to the +5 speed on his unique bow), speed really isn't an issue unless you're really unlucky. Blow average defense also does not matter on a guy that never gets attacked, and besides, his gain is tied with Rolf and a lot of other people whom never seem to be under the gun for having "bad defense" like Nephenee (hers is only better on average by 4 points due to having good base stats) and Jill (who again only has better defense because she's got a high base on it and has better bonuses to it upon ranking up.)

I don't see people complaining about the lack of defense on the Sages ever. Why do archers need "good defense" if the mages don't? I've only seen people say that Micaiah's defense is bad and even then, it never really seemed to hold much water because yet again, she really shouldn't be getting attacked.

I have to believe the only reason people hate on archers so often is because they completely mismanage them.

Edited by sandmanccl

And Leo's strength is not below average. His strength gain is on par with Tauroneo, Brom, Astrid, Makalov, Shinon, Kyza, Janaff, Tibarn, Caineghis and Gareth. If anything, it's the definition of average.

Laguz growths can't be counted the same way as beorc since a +1 translates to a +2. Compared to other physical-attacking beorc, 20 have str growths higher than Leo's, and 8 have lower. 7 if you don't count Mist; the game itself counts her as a magic user.

who again only has better defense because she's got a high base on it and has better bonuses to it upon ranking up.

"only"? Bases are just as important as growths. Actually, that's wrong. They're more important, unless the stat rams its cap early. You're guaranteed to have it, and you have all of it for the entire duration of the game.

I don't see people complaining about the lack of defense on the Sages ever. Why do archers need "good defense" if the mages don't?

That's because they're nubs.

I see fault in mages' defense, too.

Indeed it's easier to work around low def for a ranged attacker than for a meleer, but that doesn't eliminate the problem. It just makes it not quite as severe.

• 2 weeks later...

I only usually manage to promote about three or four units in the game, on easy mode.

Same for normal mode, I can only manage to promote three units.

For hard mode, I just only seem to promote like one unit...if I am lucky I would be able to promote 2 units.

Edited by Luxord

Laguz growths can't be counted the same way as beorc since a +1 translates to a +2. Compared to other physical-attacking beorc, 20 have str growths higher than Leo's, and 8 have lower. 7 if you don't count Mist; the game itself counts her as a magic user.
I'm aware Laguz growths are different, but the average is what, 45%? 50% maybe? Leo might not be right at it, but it's not so bad that him hitting things for a lot of damage is ever an issue, unless you're totally screwed.
"only"? Bases are just as important as growths. Actually, that's wrong. They're more important, unless the stat rams its cap early. You're guaranteed to have it, and you have all of it for the entire duration of the game.
Her defense NEEDS to be better than Leo's because she's going to get attacked in melee and will take a few hits here and there. The fact is her growth in defense is pretty terrible means you're as likely to get screwed with her than with Leo, save +4 defense or so.

If she was a class that didn't rely on defense like Dragonmasters do, then that +4 would mean something to me. As in, Jill has severe issues staying alive until she promotes and even then, it's not until halfway through Dragonmaster that she's actually a great unit. Leo fulfills his role immediately and if you keep using him, stays a great unit that's worth using unless you're extremely unlucky.

Indeed it's easier to work around low def for a ranged attacker than for a meleer, but that doesn't eliminate the problem. It just makes it not quite as severe.

Do you care about the defensive capabilities of your Herons? My guess is probably not. You probably go out of your way to keep them from getting hit.

If their defense is high enough to keep them from dying to a single enemy hit, then their defense is high enough. Staff users have ridiculous magic gains in this game and even with just a Heal, can probably heal any unit in your entire army up to full health from dangerously low levels, save maybe Laguz and even then it'll be close. Leo's got good enough HP to survive an enemy attack and that's all that matters because you're not going to use him to tank and most likely, if there's a situation where you could take out someone but it'd let two more guys attack him, you'd just have him hang back until your next turn.

No one has "defense problems" that doesn't rely on defense. It's just fact.

On my first playthrough, I managed to get Edward, Nolan, Aran and Laura premoted. Edward was the only one I took to endgame, though.

In my second playthrough, I got Nolan, Aran and Meg premoted. (all of which I took to endgame)

So basically, I usually get 3 premoted, Laura was just a fluke.

?_? Someone actually bothered training Edward?

And I usually get Nolan and Aran promoted. But in the end I'd ditched them and go dor Boyd and Nephenee. <_<

Edward is h4x, rivaling Mia in usefulness. The fact that he's useable during the hardest part of the game makes him even better.

Do you care about the defensive capabilities of your Herons? My guess is probably not. You probably go out of your way to keep them from getting hit.

for a completely different reason: Their transform guage drops when they get attacked.

And yes, I do care. One of the reasons Reyson is so much better than the other two is that he doesn't fold after a single hit. He usually never gets attacked, but when I slip up, and an enemy gets to him, he stays alive.

No one has "defense problems" that doesn't rely on defense. It's just fact.

If my mage can take multiple attacks without kicking the bucket, I'm more able to attack with it on player phase since I don't have to keep it away from enemies, and I can cover ground faster. And counterattack damage/kill more enemies on enemy phase.

By "problem", I mean something that makes for a great improvement if fixed, not something that renders the character unuseable.

First playthrough and I got Aran, Nolan, Edward, Jill, Ilyana and Laura promoted. Funny thing, at the end of part 1 Laura had reached level 4(staff-spam).

Never used anyone else except for Tauroneo as a shield.

I wish Dawn Brigade had more chapters to level up. Actually I would like it if the whole game was about them and then there would be another one where the two teams would crossover.

First playthrough and I got Aran, Nolan, Edward, Jill, Ilyana and Laura promoted. Funny thing, at the end of part 1 Laura had reached level 4(staff-spam).

Never used anyone else except for Tauroneo as a shield.

I wish Dawn Brigade had more chapters to level up. Actually I would like it if the whole game was about them and then there would be another one where the two teams would crossover.

If you get Aran to level 16 or so, he should have around 17 defense and should be able to tank. You still use Tauroneo as a shield in the two chapters he's usable in, but Aran works almost as well and actually gains experience in the process. The bridge in 1-6-1, I always make Big T and Aran tank the bridge with Micaiah and Ilyana right behind to mop up so you can push forward.

I promoted Edward, Leo, Nolan, Meg, Jill, Aran, Got Micaiah to Level 20, Sothe to level 15 or so (yay Paragon!), I promoted Ilyana on the Endgame out of sheer pity.

I didn't promote Laura though, She did manage to get to level 18. And poor Tormod & Co didn't get used at all. Neither did Nailiah or the Black Knight. Volug got to sit in the nearest corner and run for his life every map. Fiona got benched after I stole her skills. >)