Best continent in Fire Emblem (only story)

Best continent in Fire Emblem (only story)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Best continent in Fire Emblem (only story)

• Arkaneia/Valentia + Ylisse/Valm
    • Jugdral
    • Elibe
    • Magvel
    • Tellius
    • Hoshido/Nohr

One day, I really need to make a full list of all the stupid in Awakening but let's just say Awakening's main character is a guy who literally tried to defeat "Fate" by doing the very thing that he knows didn't work in a previous timeline. Chrom has even seen firsthand how Vallidar can control Robin. Yet Chrom's reaction towards Robin pleading that she shouldn't come with him is to invoke the sunk-cost fallacy.

While we are on that scene, some mention should also go to Lucina who decides to resort to murder because that is apparently preferable to simply keeping Robin away from Chrom.

Then what else would you call "invading a foreign nation whose army has far superior numbers to ours?"

Sigurd's invasion of Grandbell probably faced far better odds seeing how he already had allies in Lenster and Edda. But more importantly the only absolute enemies he faced from what he could know at the time were the Freedge and the Dozel. And Sigurd kicked the Dozel of the board early on.

"Doy, I bet that evil demon Garon will totally sit on Hoshido's throne even though he should probably know it will kill him!" I'm not defending Awakening's story by any means, but it's still better than Conquest's.

I would say by far, the best continent would have to be Tellius. Its got the most established backstory and lore to it of them all. It has some very interesting Kingdoms, and the Laguz alone make for some interesting story telling. I would actually love to go back there in another game just to get the chance to explore it some more because everything there was really interesting.

Not to mention Chrom wouldn't pull a waltzing into Belhalla like Sigurd. He might be naive, but stupid he ain't. I chose Jugdral because it shows the source reference the best, even more so than Tellius, in that it shows obvious flaws in Eugenics.

Ah yes, he totally didn't go to the Dragon's Table with the Fire Emblem in hand. No, that never happened! Ever!

Ah yes, he totally didn't go to the Dragon's Table with the Fire Emblem in hand. No, that never happened! Ever!

Did he? It wasn't even the full Binding Shield, and it was stolen from him in Chapter 21, which didn't matter anyway because Grima Ex Machina. Had the real spheres been inside, that would've been very different, and Invisible Ties might've actually been a thing. Sigurd had a choice, whereas Chrom didn't. Robin had a back-up plan for Chrom, but Sigurd just casually rode into Grannvale armed to the teeth, and into a vice that ended up killing him and 90% of his forces, along with his sister and best friend. I'll even venture to say Sigurd is even more dim than Corrin.

Did he? It wasn't even the full Binding Shield, and it was stolen from him in Chapter 21, which didn't matter anyway because Grima Ex Machina. Had the real spheres been inside, that would've been very different, and Invisible Ties might've actually been a thing. Sigurd had a choice, whereas Chrom didn't. Robin had a back-up plan for Chrom, but Sigurd just casually rode into Grannvale armed to the teeth, and into a vice that ended up killing him and 90% of his forces, along with his sister and best friend. I'll even venture to say Sigurd is even more dim than Corrin.

Validar said he had the last one. Bringing the emblem period was stupid. It was clear getting that thing was Validar's goal and Chrom basically brought it to him on a silver platter.

So yes, Chrom is stupid.

Validar said he had the last one. Bringing the emblem period was stupid. It was clear getting that thing was Validar's goal and Chrom basically brought it to him on a silver platter.

So yes, Chrom is stupid.

Again, there was no choice in that. If you think the Grimleal wouldn't attempt to steal the Fire Emblem from Ylisstol, that is a misconception. Chrom specifically notes this in his argument with Frederick, meaning that he understood the risk, whereas FE4 tells you Sigurd does not.

Actually, I take that back. Eirika is the dumbest lord, even moreso than Corrin or Sigurd, because unlike Chrom, Sigurd, and Corrin, she almost single-handedly loses the entire continent of Magvel because of her naivete in giving Renais' SS to Lyon, who she should've known was possessed by Fomortiis.

Okay so are we discussing the stories or the worlds they take place in? I would have assumed from the topic it would be the latter.

Jugdral and Tellius are definitely the most developed, Archanea is also pretty good.

Overall I'd probably have to go with Tellius, though Jugdral is a very close second.

Edited by DavidSW

Chrom taking the Emblem to Plegia has to be the only thing in that part of the story to even have a decent justification. It's not flawless but I'd say it's definitely sufficient.

Edited by BrightBow

Akaneia is my favorite, but I think Magvel is probably the best with the story. It also has a really distinct atmosphere that the other continents lack and I think atmosphere is a pretty underrated quality.

I think it's funny that the Fates continent is so underdeveloped that they didn't even bother giving it a name.

Edited by Dark Sage

Fates Conquest is as bad as the latter. At least Awakening is coherent and the characters generally aren't stupid and make the correct choices.

Setting half your boats on fire hoping it takes out the whole Valmese navy and that no one drown in your army. Forcing a fight into an active volcano. Thanks Naga that plot armor is stupidity-proof.

Oh and there was one of those drama CD where even guys like Lon'qu and Cordelia are useless if Robin can't give them newbies orders

Edited by Sartek

Of the games I have played, Tellius wins hands down as it was the only continent that was fleshed out well enough via world building. Most of that was through base conversations, and character interactions something that newer games haven't pulled off...

Setting half your boats on fire hoping it takes out the whole Valmese navy and that no one drown in your army. Forcing a fight into an active volcano. Thanks Naga that plot armor is stupidity-proof.

Oh and there was one of those drama CD where even guys like Lon'qu and Cordelia are useless if Robin can't give them newbies orders

I remember cringing with the story then as they were try to push it off as a genius strategy a fight in a volcano really? Robin is "claimed" to be a genius tactician but never pulls off anything bright in those so called "strategy" moments (only spewing random ridiculous lines and out "strategy") -_- If future games want us to be the tactician I hope they actually have use make decisions(like which place to attack with benefits and draw backs for each, I know it almost certainly isn't going to happen though, sadly)

Tellius is many things, and the holder of the best story of the series is one of them. To not sound like a broken record, I love how in the Tellius games, pretty much everything comes back around. What I mean is that when you learn about something PoR, you will have pretty much full context of it by the end of the game, and if you didn't, RD fixed it (mostly)! Also, there is a lot of cause and effect that I love too! Ashnard caused a lot of crap to happen prior to PoR and it affected a lot of people...and you can see those affects(for the most part)! The herons lost their home and cause the gap between Laguz and Beorc to widen even more so, Soren had a tough childhood(understatement of the year), slowly destroyed Daein, and caused so much pain and suffering to Daein and Crimea, that both still have bad blood in RD and so to the point that some people in Crimea feared just hearing Daein rebuilding itself!!! And the list just continues with a whole bunch of other stuff that makes it feel like that some decisions that were made had some serious side effects and consequences and that they actually matter! Now don't get me wrong, this story ain't perfect, not by a long shot! There are a few things I wish they did a lot better on and one specific thing that I really hate that RD did on your 2nd and onward playthroughs(...stupid Part 4 flashback...), but despite all that, I still love the story too much for it to ruin it for me!

This can probably be another way of saying "world building", but hey, what else can I add that hasn't been said?

Oh, and for runner up is Elibe. Not on the levels of Tellius, but things like Zephiel taking a tragic turn down a bad road due to his father's jealously, some characters in FE6 being the children of some of the FE7 characters(although I'm sadden by the possibility of their demises), the pathways to the Scared weapons being opened by Eliwood and the others in FE7 which helps Roy in FE6, and a few other things that flesh both games out. Although, you need to play both FE6 and FE7 to see that, while in Tellius's case, a good chunk of stuff you see in FE:PoR alone, RD just showed more of it(and while probably not needed, it is greatly appreciated...well, most of it anyway)!

(Note: Haven't gotten Fates or played 1-3 or 5 yet. I've yet to finish 4[because life and 12'th grade for this past year] too, So I can't judge fairly with them. Each other one is good in their own right, but Tellius stands in high regard for me.)

I would vote Tellius if I could, judging by the critical acclaim it seems to be getting here, but I have never played nor do I have plans to play the Tellius games

So my vote goes to Jugdral, because

great lore, dark undertones, a twisting plot, etc.

While I agree with the latter, the former as a military tactic is tried and true and has been used many times in history, most notably at the destruction of the Spanish Armada.

While I agree with the latter, the former as a military tactic is tried and true and has been used many times in history, most notably at the destruction of the Spanish Armada.

While true, I don't think that they ever used half their navy for this. For example at Gravelines it was what? less than ten ships out of a more than a hundred. Or you use makeshift boats for this purpose.

Jugdral is the best for me, though a lot of that is because I like Osawa's manga which fleshes out the characters a lot. Still really good despite that, as its setting feels the most real. I haven't even played FE5 yet, I've been putting it off.

Tellius is a close second, but Part 4 really feels like the writers backed themselves into a corner and just decided "let's just have them all get together and fight one bad guy that pops up out of nowhere."

Tellius, by far I don't think there is another fire emblem game that goes so far as to explain the culture in-depth of each country. The world is really fleshed out, although in general I don't like laguz, it is appreciated that they are there to make continent more interesting. I also like Jugdral because of the politic aspect of the games.