Possible references in Fates?

Anacybele

Hey guys, remember how Awakening had such references like one of Donnel's crit quotes being like Larry the Cable Guy or one of Sumia's lines in a DLC convo with Miriel mirroring Scooby Doo stuff?

I think I found one in Fates too! And Anna just might be my new favorite Anna for this. Her crit quote, "business is booming!" has been the catchphrase of the Pittsburgh Steelers' Antonio Brown for like half a year now and this phrase has gone so freaking viral as a result that I wouldn't be surprised if this is why Treehouse used it. :P It could be a coincidence, but I'm never not going to think of Antonio Brown whenever I hear this (so recruiting Anna in the future). XD

Are there any other references in Fates like what I mentioned above? I love references to outside stuff. As long as it isn't something that's overdone like that DBZ over 9000 thing. I really want to stop seeing that one...

Edited by Anacybele

I think Keaton's "Ahh Fresh Meat!" Crit Quote is a reference to the infamous line said by the Butcher in Diablo 1, which is the first, or one of the first bosses in the game. Cant remember if Leoric is before or after him.

Skip to about 25 seconds into the video.

Edited by Tolvir

One of Arthur's Private Quarters lines has him reference the Justice League.

Oh geez. lol Btw, I can definitely see why people thought Xander Mobus voiced this guy. He does remind me of the Smash announcer. XD

Scarlet's crit quote "I'm gonna go Nohrian on your butt." is a Pulp Fiction reference.

Also, Selena is the last person I'd expect to hear a Monty Python reference from.

Edited by Magic Ike

Scarlet's crit quote "I'm gonna go Nohrian on your butt." is a Pulp Fiction reference.

Also, Selena is the last person I'd expect to hear a Monty Python reference from.

She also makes a Xenoblade reference with her stat boost line "Don't mess with me! I'm really feeling it!"

And Kaden also possibly makes one in one of his conversations with Selkie (I don't remember if it's her recruitment or their C Support) where he refers to the other Kitsune in his village as "A bunch of jokers"

She also makes a Xenoblade reference with her stat boost line "Don't mess with me! I'm really feeling it!"

And Kaden also possibly makes one in one of his conversations with Selkie (I don't remember if it's her recruitment or their C Support) where he refers to the other Kitsune in his village as "A bunch of jokers"

Given the unusual amount of Xenoblade present in my life, I'm surprised I missed those.

I think Keaton's "Ahh Fresh Meat!" Crit Quote is a reference to the infamous line said by the Butcher in Diablo 1, which is the first, or one of the first bosses in the game. Cant remember if Leoric is before or after him.

Skip to about 25 seconds into the video.

*off topic* Butcher can be the first boss in the game but it's mostly up to RNG/Your own personal exploring skill, since his room spawns on a random floor. Compared to Leoric, who's boss chamber is his own seperate floor, though this is mostly due to the fact that Butcher spawns alone with no mooks around him meanwhile Leoric has a fuck ton of skeletons with him

On topic, in My Room, a S-Ranked Ryoma will spout "Kiss me you fool!" during his kissing scene. Although this is a popular meme and catchphrase in general, it did originate from the 1915 silent film "A Fool There Was" (although the line was originally "Kiss me, my fool!" not "you fool")

I think you're making a lot of assumptions here.

Most of these are fairly common phrases.

"Nohrian Inquisition" and "We should form our own league" are almost undoubtedly references, but the others seem fairly generic to me.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions here.

Most of these are fairly common phrases.

"Nohrian Inquisition" and "We should form our own league" are almost undoubtedly references, but the others seem fairly generic to me.

"I'm going to go Nohrian on your butt!" is definitely a Pulp Fiction reference; the phrase "getting/going to go [x] on your ass" got popular from that movie. For added pun the game takes place in a fantasy equivalent of the Medieval period. which the original line had in place for [x].

Considering they worked references to Mystery Science Theater 3000, Taken, Larry the Cable Guy, G.I. Joe, American Pie, Office Space, Castlevania, Grim Fandango, The Princess Bride and Scooby-Doo among others in the localized version of Awakening, I don't think people are making assumptions about what are and aren't references, especially since you wouldn't know a lot of those things were references at first glance. Shoving in references to things they like is really common among translators.

Edited by AzureSen

"I'm going to go Nohrian on your butt!" is definitely a Pulp Fiction reference; the phrase "getting/going to go [x] on your ass" got popular from that movie. For added pun the game takes place in a fantasy equivalent of the Medieval period. which the original line had in place for [x].

Considering they worked references to Mystery Science Theater 3000, Taken, Larry the Cable Guy, G.I. Joe, American Pie, Office Space, Castlevania, Grim Fandango, The Princess Bride and Scooby-Doo among others in the localized version of Awakening, I don't think people are making assumptions about what are and aren't references, especially since you wouldn't know a lot of those things were references at first glance. Shoving in references to things they like is really common among translators.

I agree with you. I have a question gho, totally out of topic but there is a Castlevania reference in Awakening?

I agree with you. I have a question gho, totally out of topic but there is a Castlevania reference in Awakening?

Gregor references Castlevania II when he says "Oy! What a horrible night to have curse, yes?" in his parent conversation with Noire.

Hoshido's succession laws are very much similar to Tsarist Russia's pre-Pauline succession laws, where the wife of the Tsar could inherit after his death. I doubt this is a reference though. Effie also predicted the Sanders campaign before the Sanders campaign was the Sanders campaign. Also, Arthur is almost certainly dissapointed with his league of justice after seeing Batman v Superman.