BrightBow

as much as I agree that VGChartz isn't reliable, what else can we use? The guy above Zhugeex only tweets what else is reported but even he doesn't have access to Nintendo's official numbers either. Most of what VGChartz does gather are also reported numbers but they don't have every single official numbers because tons of companies prefer not reveal them to not make them look bad. Heck everyone here still uses it to cite Fire Emblem sales numbers and even those aren't accurate either. So in the end, we can only speculate at this point. I never did say it is 100% but from what we can see it's the most we can say at this point. Speculation is better than nothing at all.

We can use the coming top 10 numbers to determine a ceiling for the game if it fails to chart, which I know isn't desirable but it's what we have. I absolutely agree that western sales simply don't have any decent published numbers, but VGChartz has a track record of not making reasonable estimates. For example, they show Bayonetta 2 as having sold double of what it sold in reality and XSeed even implied that their numbers can be off by 5X. With accuracy like that there is no honest conversation that can be held. The simple truth is because of how private western sales numbers are we can't credibly discuss them. Personally my policy has always been to discuss Japanese sales, unless we get international numbers from NPD or Nintendo's documents which only really helps with popular games.

Edited by Hardin

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only speculate that's the case because of apathy. Nobody really cares outside of the hardcore numbers nerds like me, and none of the gaming media really cares to take on the task like Famitsu does.

• 5 weeks later...

Btw, yesterday the Two Best Friends have started a Let's Play of the game.

I knew it was coming eventually because they are dedicated Platinum fans but I would have hoped it would have been closer to the game's release to give it a little more momentum. The Best Friends are my favourite Let's Players by a mile so I will still enjoy it but it's just too bad that the game doesn't seem to have gained the attention of any Let's Players on Youtube with a significant following. Like, I had hoped that Guard would gain the attention of none other then Markiplier since he seems to grab everything that is vaguely like Five Nights at Freddy's.

I've learned a new thing from that video as well. I was not aware that the looping that you perform with the stick is different from the one that you perform by simply pressing X. The version with the stick is faster and even has a differently colored engine flame. Not that I see much of an advantage in using a slower looping but I love such little details.

I've also started using the Star Fox Zero menu theme for the 3DS and I absolutely love it. I mean, it's nothing special. It's just the artwork on the cover with the map theme. But I love both the art and the song, so this is just perfect for me. I also love how the folder icon looks like, especially that little Starfox logo on it. And the sound effects just feel really good to me. I'm surprised that I can like a glorified Wallpaper this much.

Edited by BrightBow

Btw, yesterday the Two Best Friends have started a Let's Play of the game.

I've learned a new thing from that video as well. I was not aware that the looping that you perform with the stick is different from the one that you perform by simply pressing X. The version with the stick is faster and even has a differently colored engine flame. Not that I see much of an advantage in using a slower looping but I love such little details.

I assume if the animation is slower, the invincibility frame also lasts longer. Somersaults and U-Turns all have invincibility frames just like in Star Fox 64 so if a giant laser is firing at you, the slower animation = longer lasting invincibility frames is probably for the better. But this is all I can speculate at this point.

I assume if the animation is slower, the invincibility frame also lasts longer. Somersaults and U-Turns all have invincibility frames just like in Star Fox 64 so if a giant laser is firing at you, the slower animation = longer lasting invincibility frames is probably for the better. But this is all I can speculate at this point.

Technically only the U-turn had invincibility in Star Fox 64. You were completely vulnerable during a regular looping. But at least you could still barrel roll during it. And the U-Turn in that game was awesome. You were able to fly straight through walls with that thing.

But yeah, I noticed the invincibility. But on the drop of my hand, I just can't think of any situations were using a looping just for it's invincibility frames would be useful.

Edited by BrightBow

Technically only the U-turn had invincibility in Star Fox 64. You were completely vulnerable during a regular looping. But at least you could still barrel roll during it. And the U-Turn in that game was awesome. You were able to fly straight through walls with that thing.

But yeah, I noticed the invincibility. But on the drop of my hand, I just can't think of any situations were using a looping just for it's invincibility frames would be useful.

the giant lasers are a big one especially in the andross fights. Somersaulting those when I couldn't get out in time has saved my ass tons of times when you couldn't get out of the way immediately.

Edited by kingddd

Brightbow, THANK YOU. I've been way too busy to play Star Fox, but this'll help me get through things (since my sense of direction is really bad).

Edited by eclipse

Finally got a full default playthrough with the Radio Banters in the video too! Arcade mode is honestly the most fun to play with Star Fox 0.

I still have a bit of trouble trying to take down Wolf before he gets Peppy though. I'm always at a tiny hp left before it happens.

So turns out that you don't actually need to attack the hatches of the Attack Carrier in Sector Omega. You can simply attack the joints instead. That way you can completely ignore whether the hatches are open or not. (This also seems to give more points but I'm not 100% sure on that one). And just like kingddd said, 3 bombs finish off his second form in the blink of an eye. I'm glad that I can finally defeat this boss in a manner that is befitting for such a fast-paced stage.

Also, unlike when you attack the hatches, the boss' lifebar won't show damage until the joints are actually destroyed but you can still hear and see that your laser is hitting something that can be damaged.

Btw, kingddd, I noticed you were getting in some hits on those joints in your playthrough. Did you notice that they were targets or did you just hit them coincidentally?

Otherwise, I am struggling pretty hard with that whole 100% completion thing. Like, on Corneria 2 my best score is 324, almost 50 points away from the medal. No idea how to squeeze so many additional points out of that level.

Edited by BrightBow

Btw, kingddd, I noticed you were getting in some hits on those joints in your playthrough. Did you notice that they were targets or did you just hit them coincidentally?

Otherwise, I am struggling pretty hard with that whole 100% completion thing. Like, on Corneria 2 my best score is 324, almost 50 points away from the medal. No idea how to squeeze so many additional points out of that level.

Yeah I noticed it on my 2nd playthrough but I prefer destroying the hatches because I got so used to the original Star Fox gimmick.

Corneria 2 is a nuisance to get a gold on it. I still can't consistently shoot down falling ships to get the extra +1s.