The Merric Archetype divergence: the Troubled Loner and the Gregarious Determinator

Jayvee94

Best Representative for the Merrics  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who best represents the "Merric" Archetype?

• Merric
    • Azel
    • Asvel
    • Lilina
    • Erk
    • Lute
    • Ewan
    • Soren
    • Tormod
    • Miriel
    • Ricken
    • Nyx
    • Hayato
  2. 2. Best representative for the "Dark Merric"

• Lute
    • Soren
    • Miriel
    • Nyx
  3. 3. Best Representative for the "Light Merric"

• Ewan
    • Tormod
    • Ricken
    • Hayato

So I have recently read this page:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/FireEmblem

under the archetype tag that since Sacred Stones, the Merric has been split into two variations: the Dark Lute and the Light Ewan

So here's the list

the Lute: Lute, Soren, Miriel, Nyx

the Ewan: Ewan, Tormod, Ricken, Hayato

The similarities can be easily seen by generally every Fire Emblem fan.

In case of confusion let's discuss further in this thread.

Edited by Jayvee94

None of those units have anything in common with Merric. Merric is useful right out of the gate and isn't a know-it-all asshole.

Wait let me read the article in the link again again .....

The Merric:

An early to mid-game mage. Usually a child prodigy that specializes in wind magic, if not the Excalibur tome specifically. Despite rarely being on the starting lineup, they usually are already acquainted with one of the Lords. They are studious and powerful, but sometimes looked down upon for their young age by everyone but their mentor figure (the Wendell Archetype).

The Sacred Stones essentially split the archetype into two. Having dark version of the character, usually female wearing black, who is more aloof and absorbed in her studies, and a light version, usually male with red hair, who is more social, eager to prove himself and be treated like an adult. This might be an evolution of the mage twins Raigh and Lugh from The Binding Blade, or even the original Merric and his rival Ellerean.

They are NOT COMPLETELY similar to Merric. But the similarities ARE there.

The "Merric archetype" never made sense past Merric and Asvel. The rest is basically people forcing the archetype like ussual

For what it worth Merric was originally so worthless because he's ridiculously outclassed by Wendell and Boah. Just in case you wonder why Merric barely changes over incarnation while Wendell and Boah got nerfed for every Archanea games that appeared

Edited by JSND

If you're tying to come up with some "Dark Merric" example would Ellerean not be the first example of that case? That guy was kind of a tool.

EDIT: I will say though it's not exactly a consistent archetype. Mostly just "early joining mage".

Edited by Papyrus

Are all characters listed even Merrics to begin with? The attributies of a Merric seems to be that he's a starting mage, knows the lord at least somewhat and that he focus on wind magic.

Characters like Merric, Asvel, Azel, Soren, Ricken and Hayato fit this archtype.

However Tormod and Ewan are characters you get pretty late, they certainly aren't a starting mage and neither knows the lord.

TBH, I never really thought there was a 'Merric' archetype. At least, one that is starkly defined and common as, say, maaaaybe Camus.

Asvel is a clear enough expy. I'd count Soren as well even though he's got several different... things... going on what with also being a strategist and also the whole secret heritage business. Ricken has the cuteness and wind magic but not the deep bond with the Lord and Hayato looks on the surface like Ricken Mk II (haven't played it yet). And then there's Lugh and Raigh who have some visual resemblance to Merric but otherwise don't fit.

Honestly red-haired shota mages are more of a pattern at this point, and Ricken and Hayato fit that progression easily.

Ced was an obvious Gottoh in 5, and i dunno what it is for 4.

Lewyn not being Siggy BFF is kinda eh for me to consider him as flat on Merric, although i admit i do forgot him.

Except Lewyn is a different "archetype" altogether-- as a wandering noble his predecessor isn't Merric, it's arguably Jeorge.

And yeah, Ced's The Gotoh in FE5 for sure.