How to become less Predictable in Smash 4?

Jedi

While i've steadily improved and done fairly well at my local scene, I'm still significantly less good than I'd like to be at this point, I was wondering if anyone had tips on being less predictable, its a common critique I get, while I'm able to fix my bad habits, this one has proven annoying to get over.

Part of it I think stems from the fact that I'm way too aggressive in this game, but I'm not sure otherwise.

Edited by Jedi

Predictability affects openings more than anything else. The key is to vary approaches, either by changing how you time things or the moves you use. It involves getting a greater feel for what works and doesn't, and of course the worse characters tend to have fewer options.

Usually when you get predictable, the main problem I noticed is that you're fighting too many of the same people.

So I'd say :

1) Fight different people. Sometimes you learn bad behaviors from fighting the same people over and over and over.

2) Record yourself. Sometimes you're not even aware of what you are doing, so watching fights can really help.

3) Play as different characters. Sometimes playing as different characters can give you a different set of eyes and cause you to try to do knew things. IE, if you're Captain falcon and you grab too much, try someone like Robin... That has a terrible grab to break the habit of grabbing too much.

unpredictability is the most vague thing since that's what leads to any amount of success. i started getting better a while ago by figuring out what other people want to do and playing around tht (also a very vague answer, but w/e).

Yeah go for a lot of mindgames and feints but more than anything, do a lot of mixups. If your foe is expecting one thing, blow said expectation away with something that'll work better

Make them think you're gonna do a thing (especially after doing said thing a few times) and do a different thing, etc.

If I had to critique myself at Smash, I'd say that's my issue too.

The best advice I can think of is to use your predictable moves as a feint and use your opponent's brief confusion as an opening.

Yeah go for a lot of mindgames and feints but more than anything, do a lot of mixups. If your foe is expecting one thing, blow said expectation away with something that'll work better

Make them think you're gonna do a thing (especially after doing said thing a few times) and do a different thing, etc.

I still get read sometimes when I do a feint, I guess i'm doing them too much or too little.

Predictability affects openings more than anything else. The key is to vary approaches, either by changing how you time things or the moves you use. It involves getting a greater feel for what works and doesn't, and of course the worse characters tend to have fewer options.

Who would you suggest.

Usually when you get predictable, the main problem I noticed is that you're fighting too many of the same people.

So I'd say :

1) Fight different people. Sometimes you learn bad behaviors from fighting the same people over and over and over.

2) Record yourself. Sometimes you're not even aware of what you are doing, so watching fights can really help.

3) Play as different characters. Sometimes playing as different characters can give you a different set of eyes and cause you to try to do knew things. IE, if you're Captain falcon and you grab too much, try someone like Robin... That has a terrible grab to break the habit of grabbing too much.

See I'd agree with this if I hadn't gotten the critique from someone I haven't played in 3 Months :/

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Mindgame

Here's a starting point.

Extreme examples of mindgames (note that they're mostly from Melee and Project M).

Could also try conditioning an opponent into anticipating a response from you only for you to give a much different answer.

Oh yes I remember this vid haha. I try to think too hard about the mindgames sometimes I think and I end up being dumb, so I guess I just need to apply myself better.

Make sure you know what your opponent is going to do AND what you're going to do about it. And if you can't think of any counter play, YOU LOSE or you can start playing faster characters to give your opponent less time to think.

While i've steadily improved and done fairly well at my local scene, I'm still significantly less good than I'd like to be at this point, I was wondering if anyone had tips on being less predictable, its a common critique I get, while I'm able to fix my bad habits, this one has proven annoying to get over.

Part of it I think stems from the fact that I'm way too aggressive in this game, but I'm not sure otherwise.

Everyone thinks they're aggressive and blames that for the reason why they lose but do not really understand what good aggression means. Good aggression is not just approaching all the time and throwing out attacks and hope one will connect. Good aggression is using your movement/spacing more to threaten a defensive option (shield, spotdodge, jump) and taking advantage of that defensive option (respectively grab, run up smash/pivot grab, and catching landings).

Zoning is a different game, but not all characters zone. Though I can expand on this aspect if people are curious.

Anyway, I always tell people to crossup, tomahawk, and pivot grab/smash spotdodges more. I also feel like in general people don't punish landings enough and either let the opponent aerial them on landing for free (there is no such thing as a safe aerial if you can anticipate and powershield it), try to go for an inefficient juggle (some characters are better off not jumping up after opponents, especially against like Divekicking Bayonettas), or are just bad at recognizing an opponent's landing habits (they roll away after landing (beat with dash attack/grab), jab (beat with spaced smash or shield), jump again (beat with running upsmash), shield (grab em), spotdodge (pivot grab/run up smash) etc.). Fast projectiles usually cover many landing options (this is why top Diddys prefer to pull a banana and hit your landing, they get way more out of that than trying to juggle you with aerials). Running under someone landing and holding shield usually covers many options at once.

Anyways, improve fundamentals, learn mixups, and recognize patterns. Smash 4.

Edited by Knife

Everyone thinks they're aggressive and blames that for the reason why they lose but do not really understand what good aggression means. Good aggression is not just approaching all the time and throwing out attacks and hope one will connect. Good aggression is using your movement/spacing more to threaten a defensive option (shield, spotdodge, jump) and taking advantage of that defensive option (respectively grab, run up smash/pivot grab, and catching landings).

Zoning is a different game, but not all characters zone. Though I can expand on this aspect if people are curious.

Anyway, I always tell people to crossup, tomahawk, and pivot grab/smash spotdodges more. I also feel like in general people don't punish landings enough and either let the opponent aerial them on landing for free (there is no such thing as a safe aerial if you can anticipate and powershield it), try to go for an inefficient juggle (some characters are better off not jumping up after opponents, especially against like Divekicking Bayonettas), or are just bad at recognizing an opponent's landing habits (they roll away after landing (beat with dash attack/grab), jab (beat with spaced smash or shield), jump again (beat with running upsmash), shield (grab em), spotdodge (pivot grab/run up smash) etc.). Fast projectiles usually cover many landing options (this is why top Diddys prefer to pull a banana and hit your landing, they get way more out of that than trying to juggle you with aerials). Running under someone landing and holding shield usually covers many options at once.

Anyways, improve fundamentals, learn mixups, and recognize patterns. Smash 4.

I do need to go more for crossups, tomahawks and pivots in general more,

Yeah my fundamentals still need some work, thanks Knife that was pretty informative all around.

Edited by Jedi

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have a hard time with this since I resort to the "ledge-game" as villager (the only Smash character I can play since I suck at the game). I try to mix up my play style by luring my foes into traps. For instance, I'll barely water my tree saplings, then lure my opponent towards the sapling, dodge roll, then have the water can push my foe towards as the tree sprouts. This is one of my more effective methods of killing characters like Falcon, Marth, etc. Though edge-guarding with the bowling ball has saved my ass countless times.

So, I try to experiment with different combos when the opportunity arrises. For the most part, I try to frustrate my opponent by throwing out as many Lloid Rockets and slingshots as possible. Good players can easily overcome my stalling tactics.

Edited by Leif