Anyone else playing Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow from the eShop?

Anacybele

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what it means is that the competitive scene is going back to being similar to what it was in the old days, with everyone using pretty much the same Pokemon.

Oh. Still, that's just boring. I know there's a lot of Pokemon now, but isn't there some way for GameFreak to balance this more so people are inclined to use more different Pokemon?

It's kind of difficult to expect them to balance over 700 Pokemon that easily, especially given the way some of them are supposed to work.

Wow. I'm glad I only use regular Salamence, my team have never been like any of this. Competitive battling just doesn't appeal to me like it once did. Battling many different types and strategies was fun, win or lose not this boring crap.

Those teams just bore me. Kinda like when an opponent in smash only plays for spikes *cough* Mario and C. Falcon *cough*. Gets boring and repetitive. Then again it just might be my rotten luck to meet these people.

It's kind of difficult to expect them to balance over 700 Pokemon that easily, especially given the way some of them are supposed to work.

Well yeah, I didn't mean they had to alter every single Pokemon. I get that some of them are supposed to be weak. but that doesn't mean only a select few should be really good and worthy of these championship teams.

But here's the interesting thing about almost everyone the same team,

Using a Pokemon that no is expecting or prepared for can destroy entire teams.

Ever heard of the Pachirisu Champion? It's a great example of that.

And if you pay attention, in the list I posted, one Pokemon sticks out like a sore thumb:

Lilligant.

I'm pretty sure Lilligant the reason this guy ranked so high. Many of his opponents weren't prepared for a Pokemon like Lilligant.

Lilligant can very powerful with the right setup. Ever heard of Quiver Dance?

Edited by Water Mage

The way Mega Mence is played actually by staying as Regular Form for majority of the game. Its used as Intimidate user

Liligant is just there to abuse Sleep Powder. Its the fastest sleeper with Groudon around and checks Kyogre. And primal groudon is the best mon in vgc 2016

Wow. I'm glad I only use regular Salamence, my team have never been like any of this. Competitive battling just doesn't appeal to me like it once did. Battling many different types and strategies was fun, win or lose not this boring crap.

Those teams just bore me. Kinda like when an opponent in smash only plays for spikes *cough* Mario and C. Falcon *cough*. Gets boring and repetitive. Then again it just might be my rotten luck to meet these people.

Have to agree with this. The competitive scene on most games just have a trend of using certain pokemon and certain strategies and mechanics; limiting creativity and innovation, reducing the fun imo. Similar to smash. It gets boring and repetitive. Like how the first days of X/Y were GALE WINGS GALE WINGS GALE WINGS. Edited by Quintessence

Finally started moving on ahead in my game. Wound up getting to Celadon, and started the slots. I had like, a REALLY good string for a while after I got a jackpot where I got over 100 coins from Koffing and Arbok panels lining up multiple times in a row. I still got a LONG way to go, since I need a total of 23,999 to get all four Pokemon that I want-unless Scyther doesn't come with certain moves that I want. Then I'll just catch it in the Safari Zone.

I picked my Yellow game back up myself and now have 50 different Pokemon! I also caught a Scyther on my very first try in the Safari Zone! I wonder if they have a high catch rate to balance out their rarity (it took me forever just to FIND it). It would make sense to me.

I also caught a Cubone. Now I'm going to try for Pinsir (and keep trying for Marowak, I was running into a lot of them as well). I have Bulbagarden's Kanto Safari page up, because I wasn't sure which areas these guys were all found in.

Btw, here's a trick for using as little money as possible while catching all the Safari Zone-exclusive Pokemon: save right before you go in, so if you fail to catch what you're looking for before you use all your steps, you can just reset and get your money back and try again. :P

Btw, here's a trick for using as little money as possible while catching all the Safari Zone-exclusive Pokemon: save right before you go in, so if you fail to catch what you're looking for before you use all your steps, you can just reset and get your money back and try again. :P

You can also save on steps by just spinning in place.

I'm currently doing the game corner. I got Vulpix (since it's unavailable in the wild in Yellow), and I'm currently working towards Porygon. Unfortunately, I haven't been getting any bars or 777's, but I do occasionally get some streaks with the 15-coin payouts.

Oh really? I'm no good at spinning in place though. xP

I have exactly 100 Pokemon in my Yellow file now. But I can't catch a damn Onix... They break out of everything I throw at them, even if they're paralyzed or something. I've given up on it. And I've taken a break again for now.

Onix has a pretty bad catch rate for an uncommon Pokemon. I remember it being such a pain. Absolutely not surprised it broke out of several Pokeballs and even great balls. It seems so powerful from its appearance and tendency to escape capture but then it has what, 20 base attack?... what a letdown!

It might not be very strong, but Onix can't be beat for physical durability, and it's surprisingly fast. Keep it well away from water and grass and it'll work well.

its atk is actually 45, but yeah 160 def is pretty ridiculous

BTW it just hits me, but how broken Mewtwo would be if it was Normal type? lol. I know pretty much every mon in Gen 1 would be better as Normal or Psychic, but for Mewtwo it had both 154 SPA with Amnesia, and 130 Speed/110 ATK which is the best specs for a generic Hyper Beam Body Slam spammer

Edited by JSND

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm in the Safari Zone, screwing around the first area. Conserving my steps as I try to catch all the Pokemon I can. Somehow, I've managed to catch all the Pokemon in the first area that I haven't yet caught (by walking in the tall grass and fishing in the water nearby)...all but one. SOMEHOW, I can't catch a Tangela. Hell, I'm having trouble just FINDING the damn thing. Know what the sickest thing is? For every FOUR Chansey I've found, I've only found ONE Tangela. It took me like, two or three tries to catch a Chansey. Tangela? I'VE TRIED TWENTY TIMES TO CATCH A TANGELA. WHAT THE HELL.

Dai, I've had similar issues. It's so annoying. I would encounter one Pokemon a bunch of times, only for it to take forever to find a Pokemon that has a similar, the SAME, or a HIGHER encounter rate. It's happened in like every Pokemon game I've played...

Was having that problem with Pinsir myself. And everything else I threw balls at that weren't the Scyther, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Exeggcute, and Cubone I caught. >_<

What really sucks is that, since I'm essentially doing an uber-completionist run, I need TWO Tangela. One to keep for my own, and one to trade for a Parasect. Yes, I intend to complete all the in-game trades. Yes, it's simply for kicks.

Edit: He either doesn't get caught, or I throw ONE rock at his face, and he flees.

Edited by Dai