How do you pronouce Ginnungagap?

IceBrand

I pronounce it as " Gg - inn - uhn - guh - gap"

Edit:

Ok cool :D

Gi-Noon-Gah-Gap

Being a native Spanish speaker, it's really easy.

Edited by Mox

Now that I think about it, in Norse Mythology, Fimbulvetr is the winter the heralds the end of the world.

Fimbulvetr, Ragnarok, Ginnungagap, Mjolnir and Brynhildr. Looks like tomes of Fates are all named after Norse Mythology.

Speaking of Norse Mythology, I'm getting really freaking suspicious. The second chapter of Nibelungenlied "tells the background of Siegfried (Xander's sword), crown prince of Xanten (Xander's namesake). Blah, blah, Chapter 5 Siegfried sails to Isenstein with Gunther (Gunter) to help him to win the hand of Queen Brunhild, roughly translated to Brynhildr (literally Leo's tome) in other writings, in exchange for his sister's hand in marriage, yada yada. It's likely not coincidence that the sacred weapons are named from Norse mythological beings.

Ginnungagap is also mentioned in the Gylfaginning, which also tells of Gangleri (Garon's sword given to Corrin) being tested of his wisdom (which can also be taken as Corrin being a tactician and testing his strategy). Also mentioned is Ragnarok, the creation and destruction of the world (the two paths that Corrin must choose, as the path he doesn't choose thinks of him as destroying their world).

I'm calling it here, Nohr is literally based from Norse Mythology.

If it hasn't been made clear already, the first "G" is hard. In one of the games I've kickstarted, Jotun, which is centered around Norse mythology, the narration is actually in some form of Old Norse, and it's pronounced "gi-NOON-gah-gap" in-game. As such, I'll vouch for that pronunciation.

There are no soft Gs in Old Norse.

Japan always has had a boner for Norse mythology and its names. I guess its really exotic to them or something. The names and references permeate their games and anime. Nohr isnt culturally Norse but the things using the names symbolize a lot. Garon's axe is called Bolverk. Gangleri is named as such because of the deception of the sword. Its fun stuff! (Id tangent some more but im on mobile)

You're all reading the name wrong.

It's actually called Ginnunununununununununununnunununununununununununununununununununununuganuganuganugauganuganugaunuganuganugnuanuganugnuganunuganuganuganunugnuganuganunuganuagnuganuganunuganuganuganugap

In all honesty though I usually just say "gin-nuh-guh-gap"

You're all reading the name wrong.

It's actually called Ginnunununununununununununnunununununununununununununununununununununuganuganuganugauganuganugaunuganuganugnuanuganugnuganunuganuganuganunugnuganuganunuganuagnuganuganunuganuganuganugap

In all honesty though I usually just say "gin-nuh-guh-gap"

Gap var ginnunga. :V

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

• 2 weeks later...

It's Norse. Since they already have Ragnarok, it kinda fits the theme.

Fimbulvetr (the basic C-rank tome), Ragnarok (the basic B-rank tome), and Ginnungagap (the A-rank tome) are all Norse.

The 3-year winter of the wolves (Fimbulvetr) that comes before the battle at the end of the world (Ragnarok) and the primordial void (Ginnungagap).

Then we also have Mjlonir, Thor's Hammer, as the killer tome.

Dawn of the new world ? Never heard of it.

But yeah, I pretty much pronounce it like that too, geh-noon-gah-gahp.

Wasn't it named Yggdrasil in the japanese version ?

I thought this was the stupidest name for something in the whole game. It basically looks like a random jumble of letters to me.

Excuse you, I happen to know at least two Scandinavians on this site who'd be most displeased to see you calling one of their mythological references "the stupidest name for something in the whole game". Just because things may sound weird to you, doesn't mean they're just a random jumble of letters. You should think before posting things like this.

EDIT: Oh, this thread is old, what the fuck who bumped it up? Anyway, to contribute to the topic, I think I used to pronounce it with a hard "g", like Jin-un-ga-gap. That said, I totally saw Ginnungagap used in EO2:U, so I already knew it was a Norse thing.

Edited by Sunwoo