More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

The GBA games had the best graphics in the series. :Roy: Seriously, what were the Tellius games thinking?!

Fates is the best game (gameplay wise) :smug: Also, I didn't mind the fact it was split into 3 games, because it was 3 good games.

Awakening has a good story

I liked the pair up mechanic. :evil: Oh, uh... Not just because it was OP.

I think the amount of RNG in fire emblem takes away from the strategy. :Kappa:

I think awakening and fates were great games... May the old-game elitists please put the pitchforks down?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The GBA games had the best graphics in the series. :Roy: Seriously, what were the Tellius games thinking?!

Not unpopular really

Fates is the best game (gameplay wise) :smug:

Also not that unpopular

I think awakening and fates were great games... May the old-game elitists please put the pitchforks down?

Again not that unpopular.

Also just because some criticise Awakening and Fates doesn't make them automatically elitists really :mellow:

Well, it's been a while since I posted here the last time... so it's time for more wird opinions:

• Fatigue was a great idea in FE5 but implemented poorly. There should be a experience limit for each unit based on their level. Higher leveled units will reach it sooner to force you to train the lower leveled units.
  • I liked most of the gimmicks in Revelations.
  • Revelations' final boss was my second favorite after Ashera gameplaywise. (I have no idea if this is unpopular)
  • Weapon weight was one of the best features in FE. (well... Idk if this is unpopular either)
  • Berserk stave has to return; same goes for the weapons from the Judgral series.
  • Disabling enemy's movement range like in FE10's hard mode was a nice feature and should become optional in the upcoming parts at least.

Also I don't understand why people still don't separate Fates.

The gameplay of each single part is completly different.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Disabling enemy's movement range like in FE10's hard mode was a nice feature and should become optional in the upcoming parts at least.

Er, why? All it amounts to is forcing the player to count spaces manually and waste their time. Not criticizing you, just want to know why you think this. Edited by Glaceon Mage

For most people it's timewasting indeed, for me it was another feature which challenged my brain.

You count spaces anyway when there are units blocking the way.

Removing range is fake difficulty.

However, that is indeed an unpopular opinion.

Edited by shadowofchaos

You count spaces anyway when there are units blocking the way.

Removing range is fake difficulty.

I don't say the opposite.

It's just a feature I personally liked because it forces me more to think, especially in large maps where enemies can attack you from multiple sides or in indoor maps where you have to count the ledges. I absolutely love to play 1-F of FE10 without seeing the enemies' movement range.

Also I never really check out the enemies' movement range in other FE parts either unless in FE4 because of the special terrains (roads).

Mounted units should be as good as the Cavaliers/Paladins in FE10 so they don't end up dominating the game like in almost every other FE

I don't care about the world of the Tellius games, it's easily the most boring to me

Edited by FrostyFireMage

Time for another unpopular opinion from myself.

While Birthright and Conquest were really good in terms of gameplay, I find Revelations to have the weakest gameplay and map design in the entire franchise, and that's counting FE1.

Edited by Jedi

Time for another unpopular opinion from myself.

While Birthright and Conquest were really good in terms of gameplay, I find Revelations to have the weakest gameplay and map design in the entire franchise, and that's counting FE1.

You'll hear no counterarguments from me. Messed up unit balance that promotes using only the royals, especially since, while you've got almost everyone in the game, you can only use very few characters at a time, maps with mandatory waiting time, personality-less enemies without skills spread out over wide open fields or incredibly narrow corridors...the list can be made very long indeed.

Then it's got a story that's pretty much as bad as Conquest; the writing is not of a quality that any professional should have the gall to charge for. That's not an unpopular opinion, however.

I find Revelations to have the weakest gameplay and map design in the entire franchise, and that's counting FE1.

This reminds me of some unpopular opinions that I think I touched on before but may not have really been super specific about...

• I unironically like FE1 and think that it is a genuinely good Fire Emblem game if you're willing to look past its clunky NES-era UI, and I guess the occasionally-goofy character designs/in-game portraits if that's something that bugs you.
  • I think that FE1's method of determining EXP yields is the best in the series within the context of FE1's having universal stat caps of 52 max HP and 20 everything else.
  • I really like the idea of giving Knights and Pegasus Knights Swords as well as Lances, although I can see how it could be a little broken to give Pegasus Knights the same weapon options as Cavaliers in a modern Fire Emblem setting.
  • Giving Dragonstones infinite uses, but making the items themselves very strictly finite and all missable, is my preferred method of handling Dragonstones and I think it should be experimented with more in future games.
  • Healers needing to be attacked to gain EXP, while definitely unwieldy and downright bizarre, isn't actually that bad if you know how to abuse it. Just letting healers gain EXP from using staves is still vastly preferable to it, though.
  • On that topic, I think that the ideal amount of EXP per staff use would be something in the ballpark of how much they give in FE11~FE13. 11 EXP per Heal use is just too slow when you're not grinding.
  • I find myself liking both having Weapon Level as a single stat and having by-type weapon ranks that improve with usage like in modern FE. I realize these two are mutually-exclusive, but it'd be neat to have the Weapon Level stat be experimented with more in future games.
  • I don't think it's some incredible gift to the Fire Emblem series or anything, but I really don't have a problem with the by-class promotion items used in FEs 1 and 3 and the GBA installments.
  • I prefer how reclassing itself (but not reclass sets) worked in the DS Fire Emblem games, because I feel that a big part of the fun of reclassing is playing around with wacky character+class combinations, and the scarcity of Second/Parallel Seals under normal circumstances strongly discourages that sort of experimentation.
  • I prefer Ballisticians as their own class to having siege weapons as terrain features.
  • Based on the premise for his character and motivations, Anankos could've been one of my favorite antagonists in the series if he was written and implemented into the overall plot better.
  • Highly-specific and I dunno how unpopular, but I prefer Roger to Draug and always end up using him instead, even though his join time is way later.

[spoiler=Oh boy here comes one that I know for a fact is super unpopular]I find Duma rather cute. I'm dead serious.

Edited by Topaz Light

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is unpopular, but I really dislike Part 2 of RD. The story is ok, but the maps are horrible. It's entirely a filler that has no repercussion to the story. I'd prefer if it didn't exist and that space was given to the Dawn Brigade to develop more.

Just a few more things I noticed as I played through Fates for the nth time:

- Beruka x Oboro isn't as great as people make it out to be. The first two conversations are decent, but the final one features an OOC Beruka that should not exist. As a matter of fact (even though I ship Oboro x Benny), Oboro really shouldn't have any Nohr supports in general - or at least not any that end in blatant marriage. Her introduction in BR is more than enough reason not to allow her near any Nohrians, along with her tendency to automatically make a "bitch face" when they are in the vicinity. Literally a main example why all x all support system needs to go, in my opinion.

- Tsubaki is a pretty decent-to-good character in terms of personality. Not so much in backstory, which I believe cripples him (and many other characters). Contrary to popular belief, he is not perfect at everything that he does, like Cordelia - who people are fond of comparing him to. In actuality, he goes out of his way to make sure others think that he is perfect - he is actually more of the same coin but a different side when compared to Cordelia. If anything, Tsubaki shows signs of having OCPD (not to be confused with OCD) and a maladaptive form of perfectionism in some of his supports. But no one ever bothers to mention this, however - likely because he is an admittedly garbage unit (which is something else that cripples his overall performance).

- I know Xander gets a lot of flak, but why does no one ever criticize Ryoma? No, I'm not talking about the most obvious thing. First, in BR, he essentially abandons his grieving kingdom to dick around with the Cheve Rebels - who are not mentioned again, by the way - instead of giving his people support and stability. Is it mentioned why he was there? I'll admit I likely accidentally skipped or forgot some of the dialogue. I'll admit that all the parents in Fates are pretty trash because of the whole DR debacle, but I think Ryoma deserves a special mention. He criticizes Shiro for being irresponsible - despite having him never telling Shiro of his place in society - but also uses his own royal duties as an excuse. When rightfully called out by Shiro, he has the audacity to be quite unconcerned about the kid's understandable complaint. Hello? Did you forget that you spent the entire first part of BR neglecting your duties to fuck around in Cheve as a green unit?

Edited by saisymbolic

- Tsubaki is a pretty decent-to-good character in terms of personality. Not so much in backstory, which I believe cripples him (and many other characters). Contrary to popular belief, he is not perfect at everything that he does, like Cordelia - who people are fond of comparing him to. In actuality, he goes out of his way to make sure others think that he is perfect - he is actually more of the same coin but a different side when compared to Cordelia. If anything, Tsubaki shows signs of having OCPD (not to be confused with OCD) and a maladaptive form of perfectionism in some of his supports. But no one ever bothers to mention this, however - likely because he is an admittedly garbage unit (which is something else that cripples his overall performance).

- I know Xander gets a lot of flak, but why does no one ever criticize Ryoma? No, I'm not talking about the most obvious thing. First, in BR, he essentially abandons his grieving kingdom to dick around with the Cheve Rebels - who are not mentioned again, by the way - instead of giving his people support and stability. Is it mentioned why he was there? I'll admit I likely accidentally skipped or forgot some of the dialogue. I'll admit that all the parents in Fates are pretty trash because of the whole DR debacle, but I think Ryoma deserves a special mention. He criticizes Shiro for being irresponsible - despite having him never telling Shiro of his place in society - but also uses his own royal duties as an excuse. When rightfully called out by Shiro, he has the audacity to be quite unconcerned about the kid's understandable complaint. Hello? Did you forget that you spent the entire first part of BR neglecting your duties to fuck around in Cheve as a green unit?

Tsubaki: I don't think the issue is with him being perfect, just that he's constantly talking about how awesome he is. If you thought Cordelia's humble-bragging was bad, genuine bragging is even worse.

Ryoma: I don't think this is so much a problem with Ryoma, rather than the game's lackluster writing as a whole. Why was Ryoma "dicking around in Cheve"? If I had to guess, I'd say he was trying to destabilize Nohr/do guerilla strikes from within while Yukimura handles the home defense. I don't know how credible this plan is because the game doesn't really talk about it.

For the DR nonsense, that's a problem for ALL of the parents. Ryoma just happens to be special because the game has the decency for once to call them out for being horrible people. All of the kids who aren't emotionally distant or outright angry at their parents are the weird ones.

Tsubaki: I don't think the issue is with him being perfect, just that he's constantly talking about how awesome he is. If you thought Cordelia's humble-bragging was bad, genuine bragging is even worse.

Ryoma: I don't think this is so much a problem with Ryoma, rather than the game's lackluster writing as a whole. Why was Ryoma "dicking around in Cheve"? If I had to guess, I'd say he was trying to destabilize Nohr/do guerilla strikes from within while Yukimura handles the home defense. I don't know how credible this plan is because the game doesn't really talk about it.

For the DR nonsense, that's a problem for ALL of the parents. Ryoma just happens to be special because the game has the decency for once to call them out for being horrible people. All of the kids who aren't emotionally distant or outright angry at their parents are the weird ones.

Good points. I don't know why I forgot about them.

Personally I would rather take blatant bragging over humble bragging, but both are pretty annoying. I guess Tsubaki's more tolerable to me because he has supports were his bragging is proven wrong, as well as supports where he isn't a complete toolbag. I still stand by the fact that he is a decent-to-good character that is overshadowed by other characters and garbagecan stats, though.

Edited by saisymbolic

- Dancers are fine units, but I'd rather a fighty unit over them any day

- I like Panne (and Yarne) from both a gameplay and story perspective. I married her to my Robin and I have no regrets.

- Eliwood is the best Lord

- Fates and Awakening are both fine games

- Birthright's story is utter crap compared to Conquest

- If Shadow Dragon is anything to go by, the early games and characters are boring and forgettable

Edited by DoctorSpectrum

Just a few more things I noticed as I played through Fates for the nth time:

- Beruka x Oboro isn't as great as people make it out to be. The first two conversations are decent, but the final one features an OOC Beruka that should not exist. As a matter of fact (even though I ship Oboro x Benny), Oboro really shouldn't have any Nohr supports in general - or at least not any that end in blatant marriage. Her introduction in BR is more than enough reason not to allow her near any Nohrians, along with her tendency to automatically make a "bitch face" when they are in the vicinity. Literally a main example why all x all support system needs to go, in my opinion.

Pretty sure this is not an unpopular opinion; most people agree Beruka acts out of character and that it sort of ruins the support and the payoff. Like you say, it's one of the results of the current support system, which needs an overhaul.

Personally I would rather take blatant bragging over humble bragging, but both are pretty annoying. I guess Tsubaki's more tolerable to me because he has supports were his bragging is proven wrong, as well as supports where he isn't a complete toolbag. I still stand by the fact that he is a decent-to-good character that is overshadowed by other characters and garbagecan stats, though.

This seems to be a bit of a cultural clash, as I never found Cordelia to humble brag; she literally accepts praise the way you do it in my country, and while I'm always hesitant to make comparisons to Japan due to lacking knowledge and the risk of making me sound like a weeb, I think it's the same there. Divert attention from yourself, act humble, praise others (especially the team/group), etc.

This seems to be a bit of a cultural clash, as I never found Cordelia to humble brag; she literally accepts praise the way you do it in my country, and while I'm always hesitant to make comparisons to Japan due to lacking knowledge and the risk of making me sound like a weeb, I think it's the same there. Divert attention from yourself, act humble, praise others (especially the team/group), etc.

It's the same in the States. Sort of. It really depends on the person, to be honest, and if they have manners. Some people are humble towards praise; some people suck up the attention; some people just go ahead and brag about themselves to save others the trouble. There are also some people who get offended when others don't accept their praises - I suppose they view it as rejecting their goodwill or a sign of low self-esteem. I knew someone who would snap when others didn't accept their praises; I'm sure they meant well but, sometimes, it made others a tad bit embarrassed.

At any rate, I don't think "humble bragging" was a good way to put it. As a matter of fact, there isn't anything wrong with Cordelia - I think I may have been projecting irritation onto Cordelia, to be honest. Without going into too much detail, I may have actually been doing what was a pretty central part of her personality - that is, misinterpreting her modesty for pride. The reason I said I preferred Tsubaki's blatant bragging was because it is quite obvious that all is a false bravado, so it makes him seem more "human" and i was also d riding tsubaki at that moment so theres that too. Then again, that isn't to say Cordelia doesn't have any human aspects to her character . . .

I guess I can just relate better with Tsubaki.

Perhaps humble-bragging isn't the right word. I don't believe Cordelia secretly loves talking about herself but at the same time, most people don't want to hear you talk about how much it sucks to be so naturally talented at everything. It's been a while since I've looked at her supports so I may be off the mark. I liked Cordelia in Awakening, but mostly just for her Avatar support.

Perhaps humble-bragging isn't the right word. I don't believe Cordelia secretly loves talking about herself but at the same time, most people don't want to hear you talk about how much it sucks to be so naturally talented at everything. It's been a while since I've looked at her supports so I may be off the mark. I liked Cordelia in Awakening, but mostly just for her Avatar support.

Cordelia's supports really seem to be hit-or-miss is the issue, and depending on which ones you run into can be horrible or great. I ran into Kellam x Cordelia the first playthrough so I didn't see anything wrong with her, and then ran into Gaius x Cordelia next, and both of those aren't too bad. But then thee are ones like Frederick's support with her which are simply awful.