Is Setsuna worth using?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive never used Setsuna, shes far to frail and usually cant kill stuff alone. Ive found Reina, Mozu and Takumi (even w/o Fujin) to be so much better. Even Bow knight Selena and Niles were much more useful.

Setsuna's problems with killing stuff alone can be fixed by having her Guard Stance with someone who increases her Strength (I used Silas, but I'm sure there are other options), and the high Might of Yumis, as well as the fact that she starts off able to use a Steel Yumi (its higher Might can help her kill stuff, and she should get enough Speed to eat the -3 attack speed penalty sooner rather than later) and Dual Yumi (so she can snipe swordfighters more easily, and maybe its turning the weapon triangle around can help against tomes too), and she can become a decent mage killer with the Illusory and maybe Spellbane Yumis. Of course, Mozu can do these things as well, but Setsuna can do them immediately (since Mozu has to fight through E and D Bows/Yumis before she can wield those). Takumi still has her beat tho, since he joins with C Bows/Yumis as well, but Setsuna can start snowballing for a few chapters before you get Takumi, so you can see whether or not Setsuna'll be worth a continued investment once you get Takumi.

Even if she doesn't work out as a unit, she can give good Guard Stance bonuses (I just pushed Silas back into usability in two chapters (21-22), largely on the back of Sniper!Setsuna's S-Support stat boosts including a ton of Speed, which Silas needs, and I'm sure Subaki, Azama and Hinata could use the boosts as well... Maybe not so much Subaki, but those other two can have shaky Speed, or at least my Azama and all Hinatas previous to the current one do), and her kid'll definitely be speedy, so she's probably not completely useless, just outclassed.

Oh yeah Reina exists. I always forget about her. I'll bet she ends up better than Setsuna too, but I wouldn't know because she gets benched as soon as the boat chapter ends and I forget about her when she might be useful again in later chapters.

I used Setsuna for about half my Birthright run, and she didn't turn out great. :S Her supports amuse me, but not enough for me to keep using her. Maybe I'll reclass her next time I play Birthright.

Reclass her to what, exactly? I'm genuinely curious, I hadn't considered making her anything other than a Sniper (she seems too fragile to go Kinshi). Is it Ninja, or something else?

What about Corrin/Leo? Their support's so adorable I almost cried.

You're not alone

Anyway, I agree with Thor in regards to Setsuna. I've always started out using her, but mid-game Takumi and Mozu (and usually Kiragi, too) out-perform her. It's fun to try and vary the units you use in-game, though.

Setsuna's problems with killing stuff alone can be fixed by having her Guard Stance with someone who increases her Strength (I used Silas, but I'm sure there are other options), and the high Might of Yumis, as well as the fact that she starts off able to use a Steel Yumi (its higher Might can help her kill stuff, and she should get enough Speed to eat the -3 attack speed penalty sooner rather than later) and Dual Yumi (so she can snipe swordfighters more easily, and maybe its turning the weapon triangle around can help against tomes too), and she can become a decent mage killer with the Illusory and maybe Spellbane Yumis. Of course, Mozu can do these things as well, but Setsuna can do them immediately (since Mozu has to fight through E and D Bows/Yumis before she can wield those). Takumi still has her beat tho, since he joins with C Bows/Yumis as well, but Setsuna can start snowballing for a few chapters before you get Takumi, so you can see whether or not Setsuna'll be worth a continued investment once you get Takumi.

Even if she doesn't work out as a unit, she can give good Guard Stance bonuses (I just pushed Silas back into usability in two chapters (21-22), largely on the back of Sniper!Setsuna's S-Support stat boosts including a ton of Speed, which Silas needs, and I'm sure Subaki, Azama and Hinata could use the boosts as well... Maybe not so much Subaki, but those other two can have shaky Speed, or at least my Azama and all Hinatas previous to the current one do), and her kid'll definitely be speedy, so she's probably not completely useless, just outclassed.

Oh yeah Reina exists. I always forget about her. I'll bet she ends up better than Setsuna too, but I wouldn't know because she gets benched as soon as the boat chapter ends and I forget about her when she might be useful again in later chapters.

Reclass her to what, exactly? I'm genuinely curious, I hadn't considered making her anything other than a Sniper (she seems too fragile to go Kinshi). Is it Ninja, or something else?

Her alternate class tree is Ninja, yes. But I'm not sure that she'd do well as one...

Anyways, I'd have to question mentioning the Spellbane Yumi, because it's pretty inaccurate in general, and being disadvantaged against the very weapons it's supposed to be used on doesn't help.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Her alternate class tree is Ninja, yes. But I'm not sure that she'd do well as one...

Anyways, I'd have to question mentioning the Spellbane Yumi, because it's pretty inaccurate in general, and being disadvantaged against the very weapons it's supposed to be used on doesn't help.

I've never used the Spellbane, I just figured it could maybe help for mage-killing since it gets effective damage. Illusory and Dual Yumi are probably better choices for that tho.

And as a Ninja... She'd be ridiculously speedy, like even more than usual. And she could maybe go Mechanist, I remember those being a bit bulkier than Master Ninja so maybe she could get some Defense, and she'd keep Bows, which is nice. Dunno if it'd work, but it couldn't be too bad, right?

If you go mechanist it'd be for the +1 movement and replicate. Statistically Sniper is the strongest for her; Her strength isn't great, and mech has the same str/def class bases while having 5% less across the board for 15% res which she already has a lot of.

I'd just pick up replicate and go back to sniper. Sniper is the best strength bulk option she has natural access to.

if only she could be a ballista

Edited by Thor Odinson

I dunno if it's fair to compare Setsuna to Takumi, when the royal units have much better growths across the board compared to every other unit, and some of them having very good exclusive weapons.

The Spellbane Yumi is indeed a questionable weapon. Personally I prefer the Illusory Yumi if I really need to target a mage with Setsuna, especially since the Resistance boost covers Levin Swords and similar weaponry.

And as a Ninja... She'd be ridiculously speedy, like even more than usual. And she could maybe go Mechanist, I remember those being a bit bulkier than Master Ninja so maybe she could get some Defense, and she'd keep Bows, which is nice. Dunno if it'd work, but it couldn't be too bad, right?

Mechanist are indeed bulkier and they do have improved defensive growths compared to Master Ninja, but Bows max out at B rank compared to Shuriken at A rank, so unless you grind for weapon ranks then Setsuna will be forced to try and live with a B rank in bows... forever.

Then again there was that one chapter in Birthright with the infinite Faceless... ah, good times...

I've managed to use Setsuna in BR Lunatic, and it wasn't too hard.

Takumi is pretty superior, but I don't think she's like a hindrance, she has nice speed at least, and Yumi's do alot of damage so her lower strength isn't too bad.

I decided that Chapter 14 BR HM was too hard for Takumi alone, so I used Setsuna alongside him. It was worth it - even at near-base, she was able to keep up.

She can either attempt to fix someone's awful Speed, or she can go after someone who can give her Str/Def. If you want a fun little off-build, have her pair with Tsubaki. The resulting Cael should be able to proc Prodigy constantly, on top of having a ton of Speed to double everything. Pairing her with Hayato isn't too bad, because Rhajat really appreciates Certain Blow!

Edited by eclipse

I've never used the Spellbane, I just figured it could maybe help for mage-killing since it gets effective damage. Illusory and Dual Yumi are probably better choices for that tho.

The Spellbane Yumi has 15 eff att against tome wielders, which really isn't that good, considering inaccuracy and WTD.

I decided that Chapter 14 BR HM was too hard for Takumi alone, so I used Setsuna alongside him. It was worth it - even at near-base, she was able to keep up.

She can either attempt to fix someone's awful Speed, or she can go after someone who can give her Str/Def. If you want a fun little off-build, have her pair with Tsubaki. The resulting Cael should be able to proc Prodigy constantly, on top of having a ton of Speed to double everything. Pairing her with Hayato isn't too bad, because Rhajat really appreciates Certain Blow!

On the subject of Prodigy, does it use her relevant stat (e.g. the one she's using to attack) or does it not matter, as long as the enemy's higher stat is higher than her higher stat?

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

On the subject of Prodigy, does it use her relevant stat (e.g. the one she's using to attack) or does it not matter, as long as the enemy's higher stat is higher than her higher stat?

IIRC it's whatever stat that's being used to attack.

I reclassed Setsuna into a Kinshi Knight and the extra mobility made her a pretty good addition to Takumi. As long as I put a good unit in Guard Stance with her and was aware of the enemies' attack ranges, she proved pretty invaluable on Lunatic. Never tried her as a straight-up Sniper, for some reason.

Depends. I mean, if you're on Birthright, sure. But on Revelation, when it comes to characters in the Archer class, Takumi on his own can make do just fine. Although I might be the only one who thinks so: I mean, in the third path, the moment I got Ryoma, I benched Hinata and Hana, for example.

Edited by FluffyWarlock

Setsuna's growths just scream 'ninja', which is funny because she can become a ninja.

But yeah, she's not really the best other than her speed, but you can still invest in her if you want a dodge tank. Also, I think her speed growths helps with Midori's speed problem, without completely crippling her other good growths, if you like optimal marriages.

That's what I did in Birthright

4DO8WTO.jpg

Setsuna gives her access to Sniper without marrying Kiragi and decent stat gains.

Given that Midori's class is merchant

HP: 57%

STR: 47%

MAG: 2%

SKL: 52%

SPD: 52%

LCK: 55%

DEF: 32%

RES: 35%

I'm currently playing through Birthright and I paired her up with Hayato and a got a pretty good child unit. The child unit (I'm saying it like this in case you don't know who Hayato's child is) was inaccurate but quite strong.

Setsuna as her mother seems awful. Compared to the optimal mother Sakura, Setsuna reduces her magic gain by 25%(Setsuna's base magic gain is 0%, Sakura's is 50% and Rhajat's is 60%.) If Rhajat is an exorcist that is 50% vs 75%.

Setsuna as her mother seems awful. Compared to the optimal mother Sakura, Setsuna reduces her magic gain by 25%(Setsuna's base magic gain is 0%, Sakura's is 50% and Rhajat's is 60%.) If Rhajat is an exorcist that is 50% vs 75%.

xxgq3PJ.jpg

I've honestly have found her to be very useful with Setsuna being her mother. It could be that I have low expetations because I was in dire need of a magic user and I found both Hayato and Orochi underwhelming but paired with Azura!Dwyer who's a Strategist and has an A-Support can make her hit really hard. I'm also playing Hard Classic, if that's relevant at all.

xxgq3PJ.jpg

I've honestly have found her to be very useful with Setsuna being her mother. It could be that I have low expetations because I was in dire need of a magic user and I found both Hayato and Orochi underwhelming but paired with Azura!Dwyer who's a Strategist and has an A-Support can make her hit really hard. I'm also playing Hard Classic, if that's relevant at all.

I would rather have Orochi or Sakura to be the mother. The magic growths and stats are better and skills and classes do not matter too much as my castle is literally just a shop for everything you need on every character...

I would rather have Orochi or Sakura to be the mother. The magic growths and stats are better and skills and classes do not matter too much as my castle is literally just a shop for everything you need on every character...

I can easily sum up the problem with that assessment with this: You're not guaranteed to find whatever skills you want for whichever character you want them for...

Setsuna is only particularly good at one stat, but it's the only stat an archer actually needs in this game. Strength is the other, but between the high might of yumis and Quick Draw archers tend to have adequate power to 2HKO most things, and the difference between Setsuna and, say, Takumi or Mozu feels rarely relevant (Reina has considerably more Str, but needs it to offset the lack of Quick Draw).

Her biggest problem is that she joins pretty underlevelled on both routes, but she seems fine if she gets rolling. I didn't even fully invest in her on my BR run but she was useful filler around chapter 10-14 or so.

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

I can easily sum up the problem with that assessment with this: You're not guaranteed to find whatever skills you want for whichever character you want them for...

There's a thread here for that, and Rhajat being a 2nd gen unit, people will have a number of skills for her.

xxgq3PJ.jpg

My Rhajat on my second revelation save(I immediately master sealed her btw.)

Mkobyl2.jpg

That speed you have on yours is quite impressive. I might be wrong about Setsuna being her mother.

I found both Hayato and Orochi underwhelming

Those two and nyx are worst mages(that their base class is a mage) in the game imo. Hayato has bad magic gain for a mage and a main stat of luck for some dumb reason. Orochi has bad speed in general. I honestly think Hayato is the worst mage since his base stats are awful too. His only redeeming quality is that he is the father of Rhajat.

Sakura is a better mage than those two.

If you find any of her gains lacking, feel free to get aptitude off of mine in my first Revelation castle.

Castle Code: 10715-43538-75976-91221

I also collect other skills for her, so feel free to PM me for specific skills from my collection link in my signature.

Setsuna is easily the better archer between her and Takumi.

Unless you are fighting super fast enemies (ninjas, samurai) OR High def enemies (Knight line) she should be outperforming Takumi due to her ability to double. since she can easily deal more than half of what Takumi pulls off with his better STR and Fujin Yumi, well...

Since archers are player phase units, she only needs enough defense/HP to survive one hit.

i am using her in my run of birthright right now and i just gotta say i got really good strength level ups and i am also giving her forged bows. i paired her with kaden btw.