Your Favorite Unpopular Units

I like Tsubaki just fine. My first femu in BR banged him and was pretty happy about it.

I just dont like his daughter. I think people arent big on him because as a unit, hes a little wonky to work with what with his speed. He aint bad though.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a lot of the second gen kids, even if the babyrealms are the worst thing about Fates lol.

- I like Rhajat in spite of myself. I always liked Tharja's snarky goth schtick, and making her a rebellious teen only made it funnier. I recommend her supports with her mother, m!Kana, and Shigure.

- Does Dwyer count as unpopular? If so, the kid is hilarious. "One thing you must learn, Kana, is that slappyface is neither slappy nor face." Can we just make Dwyer and Jakob switch roles, please?

- Scarlet. Feels wrong to count her because I feel like Scarlet is one of the more popular Corrinsexuals, but oh well. Anyway, her support with f!Corrin is amazing, and her relationship with Ryoma is what got me to like him in the first place. The fact that she isn't part of the main cast is a crime.

- Orochi was the least popular female unit (or at least one of the least popular? Can't remember where she placed exactly) in the JPN popularity poll and I'm still bitter. Haven't gone through all of her supports yet but the ones I've read have been solid. She's so good at messing with people haha. I wish her history with Mikoto and Reina was developed a bit more, though.

Xander is a coward and that speech is filled to the brim with hypocrisy. First of all, Xander's behavior is all over the place in the main story, and as such you never know what the writers will want to make him say next; in chapter 6, he wants Corrin to join Conquest to put an end to the war quickly and with as little bloodshed as possible, only to then scold Zola for wanting to do the same thing but with even less bloodshed, all so that he could have his supposed honor intact. Xander is a despicable character that tells himself what he needs to hear in order to sleep at night; he's the weakest and most cowardly character in any Fire Emblem game I've played, and he even goes so far as to kill himself rather than to take responsibility for his own actions.

People are "chewing him out" because he's spouting gibberish, and Yukimura's hostility is meant to come across as bad. Everyone who goes up against Corrin is in the wrong. Also, that's not calling him out for him being naïve or whatever, that's people reacting logically to nonsense.

Holy shit this a rant if I've never seen one. I'm not disagreeing, because imo Xander is the most boring out of the royals, but damn.

Honestly, believe it or not, I think Camilia is a better character than Xander. Namely because her personalty is more interesting and I like her backstory as to why she's so clingy to Corrin.

That worked. The name has now finally been changed. Thank you very much, Mr. Thor Odinson.

Now, let's get this thread back on track. I would like to bring up Subaki. I like him, but a lot of people don't, despite being chosen for some extra artwork in the upcoming DLC. Thoughts?

I like Subaki a lot! That's why I felt for him so much in his supports with Hana - I know how it is to constantly relive an embarrassing moment and I think she was cruel to bring it up twice.

He's a little smug at times, but not *so* smug that he doesn't learn from his mistakes and develop as a character in his support.

He has some solid supports. Plus he does have a rather handsome portrait (and he definitely came off better than most in the Halloween portraits...)

- Does Dwyer count as unpopular? If so, the kid is hilarious. "One thing you must learn, Kana, is that slappyface is neither slappy nor face." Can we just make Dwyer and Jakob switch roles, please?

Love Dwyer, too. His lazy English voice is great, as are his expressions.

I love his support with Kiragi (whipping Kiragi into shape) and Caeldori (that poor defenseless flower!)

As a unit, I like Tsubaki but his speed is absolute garbagio on my current file. I have aptitude on him and I plan on switching him to Master Ninja to see if I can get that stat up.

I'm rather fond of his design. He actually has one of the best looking Live 2D models, in my humble opinion. I also like that his character actually borderlines being in the maladaptative form of perfectionism--that is, it becomes a trait that is harmful rather than helpful. Had some of the supports had more serious, somber tones and maybe pushed the envelope with that issue a bit more, I feel Tsubaki could have been one of the more interesting FE characters.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I also like that his character actually borderlines being in the maladaptative form of perfectionism--that is, it becomes a trait that is harmful rather than helpful. Had some of the supports had more serious, somber tones and maybe pushed the envelope with that issue a bit more, I feel Tsubaki could have been one of the more interesting FE characters.

I agree completely. Subaki's best supports are the ones that either ignore his perfectionist kink or the ones that actually attempt to look deeper into it. I guess from that perspective I like him quite a bit, but there are times where his gimmick is so grating that I end up groaning out loud every time he says something. Main example I can think of is Caeldori's paralogue but I'm sure there are more. It's more of an issue with Fates as a whole than Subaki specifically so I guess I can kind of let it slide, though.

Also, his character design is gorgeous.

Edited by farlense

Now, let's get this thread back on track. I would like to bring up Subaki. I like him, but a lot of people don't, despite being chosen for some extra artwork in the upcoming DLC. Thoughts?

My main problem with Subaki is that on Birthright, Hinoka came along too quickly and she's just so much better for me and I don't like having more than one flier usually (except when I decided to bring Scarlet along once she joined up, it was a good call) so Subaki got benched. He does a bit better on Revelation, where he gets more time to shine as the lone flying unit... until Camilla comes along.

Other than that, he's... okay. I don't love him, I don't hate him, he's alright. I wonder how he'll perform as a Samurai tho, gonna find out on my next Revelation run.

- Scarlet. Feels wrong to count her because I feel like Scarlet is one of the more popular Corrinsexuals, but oh well. Anyway, her support with f!Corrin is amazing, and her relationship with Ryoma is what got me to like him in the first place. The fact that she isn't part of the main cast is a crime.

Quoting to second this. I like both of her supports (why doesn't she get more? At least give her a Ryoma support, dammit, this sort of thing makes me wish I could hack Fates so I could add that in). She probably would've been nice to have as a main character too.

Her death in Revelation was stupid too (why couldn't Corrin just tank the firepunch with his Dragonstone? And if it had to be enough to deal serious damage, maybe just make dragonlord sit out the next chapter to recover from whatever injuries were caused by being firepunched (if he'd even have to worry about those, given that Fire Punch is a fire-type move and he's a Dragon-type, maybe Dragon/Water, so he's taking 1/2 to 1/4 damage right off the bat, so even if it was a critical hit Corrin should probably be able to use a vulnerary or two keep going afterward /pokémonlogic), it'd be cool to have a Corrin-free chapter).

- Orochi was the least popular female unit (or at least one of the least popular? Can't remember where she placed exactly) in the JPN popularity poll and I'm still bitter. Haven't gone through all of her supports yet but the ones I've read have been solid. She's so good at messing with people haha. I wish her history with Mikoto and Reina was developed a bit more, though.

Yeah, Orochi's pretty alright. Strong mage, and she's in Hoshido so she can fix her speed problem pretty easily (I did it with Kagero, but I'm sure Saizo or Ryoma would work just as well). Do wish her history with Mikoto and Reina were explored as well, but I'd like to see a lot of things in Fates be fleshed out.

For example, Reina. She seems like she could be interesting if she had supports with other people, and I might use her if she did. As it is, she never escapes my bench. Ever.

Also Nyx. She's really old, so she could be a font of historical knowledge if Fates wanted to do some worldbuilding. Or at least give her some relevance to the story beyond just being there. And give her some clothes. Please, I get that Nohr is too poor for pants, but at least give her a shirt or something. I like her as a Sorceror tho, and Countercurse is fun.

More people are gay for Subaki!? Awesome!

I love that guy. He's, dare I say it, PERFECT!

EDIT: On my birthright playthrough, Subaki, Hinata, and Takumi are always in the hot springs. A sign?

Edited by SageHarpuiaJDJ

First of all Scarlet deserves better second of all scarlet deserves better

with that out of the way, I enjoy Baki. He's pretty, he has great hair, he's the first playable dudepeg, and I like that he's really not so perfect after all--but his problems are something I see in a lot of my friends--who have very demanding parents and expect only excellence in everything or it's a bitter disappointment. It's something I'm very sympathetic to. I don't really like it when people write him off as mandelia when everything about his "perfection" is a ruse.

Also I fight for positive Rinkah recognition around the site quite a bit so I won't repeat myself there unless someone really wants me to.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Yeah I'd say Subaki/Takumi/Hinata might be my top 3 Hoshidan first-gen men (although Saizo's also great, not sure I could rank them honestly, other than Takumi being #1).

Really though, I love the Hoshidan side. I mean, I said 'first gen' men because the kids are awesome, and so are both generations of the ladies...

First of all Scarlet deserves better second of all scarlet deserves better

Scarlet really deserves better. Like really she does.

Also, even though she has decent placing, I actually like Charlotte's character and think she's underrated. She's a tough girl who uses her charms to get what she wants, but only to help out her family in poverty. Her supports are also very entertaining so far. My favorites would have to be Beruka's when she teaches Beruka "how to kill a man without weapons", her B support with Corrin when she goes batshit and punches a tree, and how she got annoyed in her C support with Kana. It's good to see characters who's doesn't go all goody two shoes and actually does sneaky stuff without really hurting others.

oh right nyx

her gimmick is annoying but i fiercely adore her for some reason, per say and i put her on my spotpass castle team

she really just needs more hp/defense i think

i don't think nina counts as unpopular, maybe, but she's in the same boat as nyx; i really like her, although i know the reason why (what she could've been vs what she actually was, the latter is seriously what the fuck) so i kinda used her out of spite of her personality and because i adored her design and the potential she had

also her mom's camilla so i don't think she is the best unit in the world

Also, even though she has decent placing, I actually like Charlotte's character and think she's underrated. She's a tough girl who uses her charms to get what she wants, but only to help out her family in poverty. Her supports are also very entertaining so far. My favorites would have to be Beruka's when she teaches Beruka "how to kill a man without weapons", her B support with Corrin when she goes batshit and punches a tree, and how she got annoyed in her C support with Kana. It's good to see characters who's doesn't go all goody two shoes and actually does sneaky stuff without really hurting others.

Actually, it's not just for her family. Sure, it plays a big part in the existence of her persona, but it certainly isn't the only one.

While Charlotte finds her fake personality tiring, she genuinely loves the attention it brings. She enjoys money for her own sake as well. Not to mention, she is ambitious. Given the choice between a noble and a commoner that makes more money (somehow), I'm pretty sure she'd choose the noble.

Tsubaki is super pretty. Like, holy Hell is he pretty. And a redhead.

I don't even mind his "poor stats." The only thing I do mind, however, is his daughter, but I guess I could swallow that down since she had a good support with Shiro.

I also like Hinata. Has the best Trueblade outfit in the game imo. I actually kinda like it more then Ryoma's.

If humanity has taught me anything, it's that we are a bunch of hypocrites and we do many things "out of character". Xander being so flawed makes him all the more human. His lack of consistency basically shows that he's a far less flat, robotic, character than the rest of the cast.

The thing for me is that most of his flaws and hypocrisies aren't presented as such by the game. I feel like we're supposed to see him as flawed only in that "he can't decide between his duty and his morals" but like... The game paints him as honourable, when he does mostly dishonourable things. He makes speeches about justice being an illusion while displaying a sense of justice when it's convenient for him. He whines about Kamui (and Camilla in Rev) betraying Nohr when it's him and his dad who are harming the country, but even after he's defeated Kamui decides Xander was right after all. The game never questions Xander or shows these inconsistencies as part of his character development.

Once you look past Subaki's 'perfect perfect perfect' exterior, he's actually a really nice guy. His supports with some of the characters surprised me. I feel like his lack of popularity stems at least a little from first impressions.

Since I will be heading off to bed soon, I will leave all of you fellow forum-goers with one last topic of discussion. A unit who has taken a special place in my heart. Dwyer. I like him. A lot of people don't. Discuss.

(though if you have any other units you'd prefer to discuss instead, then please feel free to do so.)

Btw I do an amazing Dwyer impression. If you heard me voicing his lines you'd swear he was standing right next to you.

Edited by KoolioKenneth

I like Hana, she was in my final team in my Hoshido file and I still used her for a bit in Revelations (I even spend some money in smkirmished to lv her up before the wind chapter and she ended defeating Fuga). I like how she want to be strong to protect her best friend and liege, and try to follow her dad steps.

Also Rinkah, I like her and I don't care if she have bad growths, I decided to play birthright again, maybe in Lunatic, and I'm gonna use her. I find her interesting even before the game was released, and now, I think that chapter of the Revelation Anthology make me like her even more xD

And Hisame, I read that some people didn't like him for being boring, but somehow, I ended liking him a bit. Maybe he is not into my "Wow super favorite characters" , but I don't find him THAT bad.

I really like both male Kana and Caeldori, honestly. The former because I actually like cute kid characters, and the latter because she's a sweetheart most of the time and actually doesn't use the word "perfect" every five seconds like her father does (which is really my only problem with him, otherwise I like Tsubaki as well). The fact that the first support chains I got for them were with my two favorite Hoshido kids (Shiro for Kana, and Kiragi for Caeldori) and both of those supports were really cute probably helped a lot too.

Let's see...I also like Hayato, because between his superior voice (Yuri Lowenthal is one of my favorite VAs, but his Ricken voice was just gratingly whiny), and he has a better reason for wanting Team Kamui to not treat him as a kid than Ricken did (plus the first Supports I got for him were with Sakura, they were adorable and instantly endeared him to me).

(But then again I actually like most of Fates' characters, and if I like a character's personality enough I will put in the effort needed to make a them a good unit so that's almost never a consideration when it comes to what characters I like.)

Edited by AzureSen