Your Favorite Unpopular Units

The difference is Robin is really just a sue when it comes to being a tactician, which I find acceptable because that's that the player is: the tactician. Fates instead has Corrin being great by virtue of being Corrin with the game giving us really no other reason why Corrin is so great besides the Yato havinh chosen him.

And see, making Corrin flawed and all is great, but the problem is they never really give him much in the way of seeming competant. He walks this weird line of sueness and being rather incompetant and it just bugs me. Everytime he's called on his screwups I question why he's even ij charge when several other characters are far more competant. Yet he is the leader because reasons.

I also disagree with the idea of Robin being bland, just that his/depth and flaws are seen mostly in supports and scattered in story dialogue.

To be fair my opinion of Corrin being whiny and an idiot is likely tainted due to playing conquest first, where he was completely insufferable. He does get better in the other routes, I will admit, but first impressions are hard to shake off.)

Fates has Corrin being great because of a prophecy or some other, which is, y'know, dumb, but it's so recurrent in media that I've given up complaining about it. The Chosen One is nothing new--Buffy Summers, Harry Potter, Aragorn, etc, were all put in their positions because destiny said so, and I really don't think being a chosen one automatically makes you a sue.

He's got plenty of competence. That idea of using Zola's abilities in Birthright, for example, was pretty smart; imagine all the possibilities with an illusionist on your side! The only reason it didn't work was because Zola was a traitor, and Zola hid that well enough to fool Takumi the Skeptical. Or beating the Rainbow Sage's trials, which are lauded as something so difficult, only four people in recent history have done it (possible all history, I can't remember). Beating Ryoma one-on-one, figuring out the traitor in Revelation, his handling of the Ice Tribe rebellion, those were all good feats; he's plenty smart and talented with a blade, just crippled by naivete.

It actually does make sense why he's in charge most of the time. Revelation is obvious; he's the one who split off on his own and united the two armies. In Conquest, it's because Garon has him off doing his own thing while his siblings handle other tasks, and by the time people more fitted to leading join up, they're invading and are pretty much stated to divide command among themselves. For the first half of Birthright, he's leading a strike squad in search of Ryoma while Yukimura commands the main force fighting Nohr. Ryoma should take over in the latter half, but that's really the only place where it doesn't make sense for him to lead.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Hana's design and the fact that she's very competitive. I DESPISE her C-B supports with MCorrin tho. Still married her.

I'm neutral on Hinata because I don't like him as a unit, but he's an interesting character.

Hayoto is Ricken done right, imo.

That Rev mission with Yukimura came out of nowhere, but he's still a cool guy.

Can say anything about Hisame and I like Gaius so I may like Asugi.

Damn, I must be the rock swimming sideways to the stream because I agree on some things said already and dislike others but hey we all have opinions and they should be respected. I'll just say a quick piece.

Hinata: A cool all-around bro to be with and around the nicest of the Hoshido retainers so he feels like he'd have your back.

Shiro: Basically the same as Hinata just with using my favorite class and being more down to earth, but Shiro is universally pretty liked on the forum so I don't know why I added him.

Hisame: A nice contrast to his father, he reminds me of my brother in his start to teenage years. Embarrassed and oddly formal, I saw him as someone I still know and care for. Still baffled the guy can't catch a break because of the pickle crisis people seem to flanderize about him.

Rinkah: I put her more since the results in another thread baffled me but in all honesty. A chick with visible abs, pleasant dark skin and white hair contrast is always welcome in this cast almost completely made out of straw looking white females who don't seem to know the meaning of pants. Heck, Rinkah has a design I'd consider godly in this game considering the look itself could be a type of fan service but it never feels that way and I could definitely see her promoted class of Oni Chieftain to be actual battle wear.

Now on the subject of dislikes, I'm not very vocal but I really dislike Fem Corrin's design. I don't like either in general, but Male Corrin's default hair albeit real messy it's still generally okay and definitely not something I'd seen before, the female one just looks extremely bland to me since it's pretty much straight hair accentuated by complicated looking armor.

I don't like Hana, but I can't really explain why. :x

Same but I can explain my reason. I never really liked Hinata that much since the sword class never appealed to me but one day I decided to get a read on the guy in different sites. The amount of people calling him worthless compared to Ryoma and Hana made me sad. Sure he didn't have the best growths, but he did his job and had great bases. The whole bashing on the dude made me retroactively dislike Hana a bit but when I actually started her supports, I knew she was one of those people I personally disliked. Design wise and game play wise she is fine, but her personality could use some work.

Last thing, you don't use the man who Leo knows can't do good strategy and Takumi wouldn't follow. He was secluded all his life in a castle doing nothing but basic combat. He can't lead, and never should. The elder brothers were trained to lead for the very reason of ruling a country. At the very least give Xander a break, he was pathetic as a child and now he can't lead his own army?

Edited by Raguna

I'm also one of the people that like Hana's design but don't actually like her personality very much. I also can't explain why.

I know for certain that I don't like her supports with Keaton, Hinata or Takumi. Especially hers with Keaton.

Also, have I found fellow Hinata Lovers? He is my second favorite Hoshidan retainer (after Saizou). He just generally seems like an optimistic, good-natured dude that would be a Bro. I'm a girl and I would want Hinata as a Bro. Also, he has nice bicep muscles and his default character model portrays this and I appreciate that. I found him better as a unit because Hana is a glass cannon and I'm not too fond of glass cannons.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Also, have I found fellow Hinata Lovers? He is my second favorite Hoshidan retainer (after Saizou). He just generally seems like an optimistic, good-natured dude that would be a Bro. I'm a girl and I would want Hinata as a Bro. Also, he has nice bicep muscles and his default character model portrays this and I appreciate that. I found him better as a unit because Hana is a glass cannon and I'm not too fond of glass cannons.

Yes!!!

I love that he owns when he doesn't understand something, too. Just straight up, 'I don't understand what you're saying'.

Also he's a genuinely nice guy unlike that impostor Silas

And his S-rank with Corrin is hilarious. I love that Corrin just runs away, then Hinata acts like an over-eager puppy.

Yep, I'm a Hinata fan. Great design (nice muscles, dark and purple armor which in my opinion is the best looking of the Swordmasters, cool sword pose) has great bulk (not a fan of dodge tanking) a cool bro like and nice personality and a complete nerd of a dad making Hisame blush with embarrassment and naming his sword after his son to always have him at his side. Awwwh. You can literally use the guy on Birthright with barely any training until near late game with his amazing base stats but especially speed.

Also the only guy that outranks him is Saizou as well at number one and Shiro who shares second place with him. Most people already like Saizou and Shiro so I tend to speak up for Hinata since he barely gets any mention.

Yes!!!I love that he owns when he doesn't understand something, too. Just straight up, 'I don't understand what you're saying'.Also he's a genuinely nice guy unlike that impostor SilasAnd his S-rank with Corrin is hilarious. I love that Corrin just runs away, then Hinata acts like an over-eager puppy.

Bro Hinata for life. I can't help but like him. I appreciated him much more after doing Hisame's paralouge. He was just...so confused as to why his "little boy" wasn't running up to him excitedly anymore. I found that so sad. He just wanted to love on him. I love naive-ish characters.

Also need to see that support. It sounds hilarious.

I like Hana too, though, but to a certain extent. I don't know, I just feel like they didn't write her well enough.

I personally think Robin was super bland and boring, whereas Corrin's naivete made him a better, actually flawed character. And yeah, his background screams Mary Sue, but he's really not. He messes up too often and gets called on it

Can you really say he gets called out on it when pretty much every character in the game keeps letting him know how cool he is, how he can never do wrong and never to change? Like when he's nearly killed by Anthony they give him a speech about how great and trusting corrin is and that's why we love you.

Just to chip in my two cents in the m!Kamui vs. f!Kamui discussion, they're virtually the same character. The differences between them really don't change who they are at their core, especially since all of the major storyline decisions are exactly the same. And I think the only reason female Kamui scores higher on popularity polls than male Kamui is because of the following two reasons:

1) Male fans who think she's hot and want to boink her.

2) Female fans who project themselves onto her and turn her into their mouthpiece.

Female fans aren't going to look twice male Kamui's way with all of the attractive male characters who are not the avatar, and for some reason a female character turning into someone else's mouthpiece or fantasy projection seems to be more common than people doing it for dudes. So.

Also, have I found fellow Hinata Lovers?

Hinata is best waifu.

How could you hate such a down-to-earth guy? Plus I dig that he actually gets defense. Even if he's not the best swordie ever, he can tank pretty good. I've used him as a Weapon Master in previous runs, wanna try him as a Blacksmith next.

Can you really say he gets called out on it when pretty much every character in the game keeps letting him know how cool he is, how he can never do wrong and never to change? Like when he's nearly killed by Anthony they give him a speech about how great and trusting corrin is and that's why we love you.

That infuriates me so much because that was a prime opportunity for character development and they threw. it. away. They do kind of call him out for being so trusting and then they just backpedal into saying "but keep doing it" which is agh.

But like, I mean when you get to the endgame of Conquest, and Xander basically lays into Corrin for being so naive and gives him that big "there is no justice" speech. Or at the start of Revelation, where basically everyone yells at Corrin for not picking a side and afterwards, where you have people like Yukimura and Saizo chewing him out for saying "I'm not going to tell you anything, but trust me, k?"

And so I can actually be on-topic: I love Hana. I love her design, I think it's super cute, and I think her personality is sufficiently fleshed out when she's not talking about Sakura. Like she can be surprisingly girly (Hinata and Hayato), she has a role model (Ryoma), she's super blunt and opinionated (Keaton), etc.. It's just most people first see her Corrin support, which is easily her worst, and that just sends their opinion of her downhill.

I think the problem of male Corin is the biggest criticism Corin has are considered less off putting when a girl has it. Being spoiled, naive and weak willed may make a girl cute but when a guy has it its more quickly viewed as a bit pathetic. The thing that sets male Corin apart is that he seems to be a bit more dorky but I don't think that's something a lot of guys would like.

As for the one TC mentioned.

Hayato: I don't dislike the kid at all but its not to hard to see why he's not to popular. Shota's are a fairly unpopular archtype in the west and I think that goes double for the more bratty ones who still insist to be treated as adults. Also he's only barely not a complete clone of Ricken who was never to popular. Having the unpleasant extra trait of arrogance lose Hayato points as well.

Yukimura: Well the game pretty much goes out of its way to sabotage him. He's only playable in one route, only supports with Corin and he's a jerk for no reason. Well not for NO reason but he takes it a lot better if you actively take up arms against his kingdom.

Asugi: Asugi is part of the Awakening trio which is already a huge mark against him for a lot of people. Also he's a clone of Gaius who I don't think ever deserved a clone. If it was a more universally loved character like Henry or Frederick it might have been better. Instead I get the impression Japan forced a pretty forgettable character on the rest of the world. Who ever talked about Gaius?

Hisame: Hisame has two problems people may hold against him. He's the serious one which comes at the risk of being boring and the whole pickle obsession may rub people the wrong way because its just the translators messing around. I'm pretty okay with him though it may not be an entirely good thing that I have no opinion of a character at all.

---------------

As for me personally: I'm quite baffled about the reaction to Percy being kinda tepid in some circles. What's not to love? He's a cheery, friendly sidekick parody with a seemingly good dose of inspiration from Pit.

Oh. My. God. Hinata. Lol. He's so ridiculous, in a cute way.

Why did FeMU hint that he was stupid, though? I would've been confused too. Or maybe she was joking and I didn't catch it because the medium-build FeMU's expressions are extremely stale and lifeless.

I think she was just flustered and embarrassed by his confession, honestly. I was confused by her reaction as well at first. He beat around the bush quite a bit but Hinata did pretty well in saying how he felt. If anything, she was the stupid one for not picking up on what he meant as soon as he talked about wanting to protect her, in my opinion.

That's like Anime Love Confessions 101.

Oh. My. God. Hinata. Lol. He's so ridiculous, in a cute way.

Why did FeMU hint that he was stupid, though? I would've been confused too. Or maybe she was joking and I didn't catch it because the medium-build FeMU's expressions are extremely stale and lifeless.

I think they were ribbing each other? That's how I read it:

Hinata: Huh? What was that? I couldn't hear you. Could you say it again? <-- he's winking as he says this, so I read it as he DID hear her, but he wants her to repeat it anyway, because he's teasing her about how bashful and blushing she's being.

Avatar: No! You can figure it out yourself! Even you said there must be limits to how stupid one person can be! <-- Corrin's reaction to being teased, i.e. 'don't push me!'

Or, if we take him at face value and assume he didn't actually hear her, I read her response as being 'it ought to be obvious how I feel from my face!'

Edited by Res

But like, I mean when you get to the endgame of Conquest, and Xander basically lays into Corrin for being so naive and gives him that big "there is no justice" speech. Or at the start of Revelation, where basically everyone yells at Corrin for not picking a side and afterwards, where you have people like Yukimura and Saizo chewing him out for saying "I'm not going to tell you anything, but trust me, k?"

Xander is a coward and that speech is filled to the brim with hypocrisy. First of all, Xander's behavior is all over the place in the main story, and as such you never know what the writers will want to make him say next; in chapter 6, he wants Corrin to join Conquest to put an end to the war quickly and with as little bloodshed as possible, only to then scold Zola for wanting to do the same thing but with even less bloodshed, all so that he could have his supposed honor intact. Xander is a despicable character that tells himself what he needs to hear in order to sleep at night; he's the weakest and most cowardly character in any Fire Emblem game I've played, and he even goes so far as to kill himself rather than to take responsibility for his own actions.

People are "chewing him out" because he's spouting gibberish, and Yukimura's hostility is meant to come across as bad. Everyone who goes up against Corrin is in the wrong. Also, that's not calling him out for him being naïve or whatever, that's people reacting logically to nonsense.

As for me personally: I'm quite baffled about the reaction to Percy being kinda tepid in some circles. What's not to love? He's a cheery, friendly sidekick parody with a seemingly good dose of inspiration from Pit.

Take it with a grain of salt, since it's coming from the one guy who never liked Pit in the first place (which factors into why I dislike his Pit style voice) but, I think it's more of a case of people liking his father Arthur better, and the fact he's the luckiest boy alive while his father gets the short end. His bombastic style personality is done overall better by Odin and his dad. He also suffers from the sad fate of being a child character and the most unpopular male character in Japan.

Even with all those factors, Percy is still a good unit and one guy I feel neutral over. I tend to bench the little warrior even though he's one of the best children alongside Asugi and Caeldori who I also bench due to Awakening status and having Tsubaki and Saizo do their niches already.

Edited by Raguna

I like Hinata too. He's a cool dude. Don't like his son that much, though.

And so I can actually be on-topic: I love Hana. I love her design, I think it's super cute, and I think her personality is sufficiently fleshed out when she's not talking about Sakura. Like she can be surprisingly girly (Hinata and Hayato), she has a role model (Ryoma), she's super blunt and opinionated (Keaton), etc.. It's just most people first see her Corrin support, which is easily her worst, and that just sends their opinion of her downhill.

First off, I agree with everything you say, beside the bolded part. I saw her supports with Corrin first and liked her because of it. She's like the only character that doesn't outright kiss the ground Corrin walks on and people give her crap for it despite hating Corrin for that exact reason: every character kisses the ground Corrin walks on immediately.

I personally enjoy watching the support progress through to the end. It feels natural. That's just my opinion on the matter, though.

My personal opinion on some units I don't like:

Takumi: I mean, it's great that he mistrusts a stranger, but does he have to be a d-bag to Azura (and everyone else), too? Dude, chill.

Hayato: I hate him. I hate him. I. HATE. HIM!!! Did we really need a more annoying Ricken? Naga damn it!

Kiragi: He's annoying. Enough said.

Percy: He's also annoying. Might be his voice more than his character, though.

And speaking of voices... What have they done to Felicia?

These are the ones I don't like because of their personality (It seems I really hate small boys. I don't know why). Here are the ones that I don't like because they didn't perform well when I tried to use them.

Arthur: Never hits anything. Shame, because he's a genuinely funny guy.

Charlotte: Ms. Fanservice with a hilarious twist. Eh... She can't hit anything either.

Kana: "Defence? What's that? Dodging? Can I eat that?" - Pretty much sums up my experience with Kana so far. Even though I like Kana.

Peri: Squishy and hit problems. Nope. Even though I like her as a character.

Setsuna: Terrible growth rates, incredible speed but shaky attack and skill, which again causes hit problems. Which is sad, because the only natural Archer alternatives are either d-bags or annoying as heck (there's Midori and Mozu, both of whom I really like, but still...). And Setsuna is just funny. :D

Niles: I'm neutral on him character-wise and he's the only one with Lockpick for quite some time, but the fact that anything that can crit him will crit him is a huge turn-off from using him ever again.

Xander: Disappointing. Didn't live up to the hype. At all.

Leo: Same as Xander.

Takumi: I mean, it's great that he mistrusts a stranger, but does he have to be a d-bag to Azura (and everyone else), too? Dude, chill.

Oh no. You've said something bad about Takumi.

Don't worry. You will be corrected by someone shortly.

lol im kidding

but not really

Oh no. You've said something bad about Takumi.

Don't worry. You will be corrected by someone shortly.

lol im kidding

but not really

Nah he's right though, his anger towards Azura in that scene is uncalled for.

Well, unless you consider what happens in Conquest, but hey, he's not a seer.

First off, I agree with everything you say, beside the bolded part. I saw her supports with Corrin first and liked her because of it. She's like the only character that doesn't outright kiss the ground Corrin walks on and people give her crap for it despite hating Corrin for that exact reason: every character kisses the ground Corrin walks on immediately.

Hana doesn't get any points for not being in love with Corrin because she's doing it wrong.

Hana doesn't worship the ground Corrin walks on but she does it in a way that just highlight how GOOD Corrin is. She starts out disliking him but is far to petty and irrational for her to have a point. That she manages to twist Corrin getting kidnapped and being forced to have Garon into his life as a reason to be hostile to him shows she might just be a scumbag unable to care for those she doesn't already deem to be her friend.

Saizo has a much better reason for their rough starts. He doesn't trust someone raised by the enemy kingdom. Hana doesn't have that concern, she's just being a jerk about Corrin being kidnapped itself rather then the result of him being raised by the enemy.

Edited by Etrurian emperor