Best and worst dads in Fire Emblem

Katie

Wow, I'm downright shocked to hear that nobody even brought of Jiol as the worst dad in the series. The guy kills not just his 1st wife, but his 2nd wife as well leaving Sheema to grow up motherless. It doesn't help that the game goes on to portray him as a disgusting cowardly man who kills, kidnaps, and rapes woman and children through out the events of fe12. All the while effectively leaving his entire kingdom(gra) alone without a king so his daughter has to take while simultaneously being hated by her people just for being related to the guy.

I would also like the say that Judah from Gaiden could easily be among the list of worst dads with the way he tries to sacrifice his three daughters to summon the crazed god of darkness, Duma, but most people probably doesn't even know who he is.

That would make him a bad husband rather than a father. Sheema was not hated by her people at all where are you finding this stuff? To recruit her you have to let the gra soldiers live and the only reason they are fighting for her is respect. Jiol's dying thoughts were of Sheema in mystery of the emblem, so that implies that he does care about her.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like the say that Judah from Gaiden could easily be among the list of worst dads with the way he tries to sacrifice his three daughters to summon the crazed god of darkness, Duma, but most people probably doesn't even know who he is.

Judah gets my vote for worst, that's for sure. It's hard to see how that bar could get any lower.

If he marries Nino, Erk just dumps Lugh and Raigh in an orphanage to look for her.

I like Erk, but that wasn't the greatest choice on his part imo.

Nino does the exact same thing if she marries Jaffar.

Best: Hector, probably. Given that he's most likely a single dad, he does an excellent job of raising Lilina while simultaneously ruling Lycia.

Worst: Desmond, because reasons stated above.

Nino does the exact same thing if she marries Jaffar.

Best: Hector, probably. Given that he's most likely a single dad, he does an excellent job of raising Lilina while simultaneously ruling Lycia.

Worst: Desmond, because reasons stated above.

I know, but since this is about dads, I mentioned Erk specifically. Sorry for lack of clarity.

Good point--it does make a lot less sense with Erk as the father, however. While Nino's decision wasn't the best, it was most likely done out of a place of need to protect her children, since both Nino and Jaffar were Black Fang members.

I didn't see a mom topic, so I guess I'll add it here. All the mothers seem to die, are lousy, or don't do much. All the potential Fates moms are lousy for being deadbeats, the Awakening moms technically aren't moms yet, Sonia was downright evil, and Zephiel's mom tried to use him to gain power. We see Louise preggers, but not actually raising a kid, yet.

I may have missed some, but it seems like Calill is the best mother we actually see in action.

I think Louise is a terrible mom for deciding to go do battle while pregnant. That's just plain no. There's an obvious high risk of harming the baby doing such a thing. And at the same time, Pent is bad for letting this happen. Besides this though, I imagine that they both did pretty good overall.

Isn't that one Peg sister in FE6 a mom that goes into battle too though? Wasn't her name Juno? She has a baby with one of the knights. I give kudos to her so long as she got someone trustworthy and good to watch over the baby.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, Juno has recently given birth to a daughter during the events of FE6, and neither she nor her husband(who's also the baby's father) Jerrot have had time to really spend time with her because they've been busy doing mercenary work and fighting off Bern, and Juno left her in the care of a friend while she goes off to war, which I definitely agree was a smart move.

I didn't see a mom topic, so I guess I'll add it here. All the mothers seem to die, are lousy, or don't do much. All the potential Fates moms are lousy for being deadbeats, the Awakening moms technically aren't moms yet, Sonia was downright evil, and Zephiel's mom tried to use him to gain power. We see Louise preggers, but not actually raising a kid, yet.

I may have missed some, but it seems like Calill is the best mother we actually see in action.

My first thought was of Ethlyn but within seconds I remembered she basically got her husband and herself killed and her daughter raised by a super villain due to her own absolute carelessness. So my second thought was that Canas seemed to have turned out alright so I'd say Niime did a pretty good job of raising him.

I'm kind of shocked no one has brought her up yet, but by far the most kickass mother in FE history is Raquesis. Grand list of what she accomplishes: escapes Belhalla, finds Nana, protects her from all manner of danger, all while doing normal child rearing stuff like breastfeeding presumably, and then she goes and trucks through the Yied Desert trying to find her son. And she also succeeds at everything but the last one. What other mother in FE manages that? As for the worst, yeah, Sonia probably, although all of Garon's mistresses are shit too for putting their children through the stress of their rivalries.

I think Louise is a terrible mom for deciding to go do battle while pregnant. That's just plain no. There's an obvious high risk of harming the baby doing such a thing. And at the same time, Pent is bad for letting this happen. Besides this though, I imagine that they both did pretty good overall.

To be fair, we don't know when she found out she was pregnant, so it could've been just before the fight with Nergal for all we know. While it's true she could've stayed back, when not factoring the game's deployment limit its very likely everybody joins in on the fights, and since Merlinus was already sent back to Fargus's ship, there's no "stay back and guard Merlinus" excuse to keep her out of the fight, and would be one less combatant on the battlefield. One more or less combatant can potentially make all the difference. In addition that her pregnancy could still be in the very early stages to not be a burden yet in combat. So while it wouldn't be the safest choice, it wasn't an unreasonable one.

And Pent wouldn't know she was pregnant until she told him anyway, so I wouldn't fault him on that. She did kept it a secret until the fire dragon fight after all. I would think it wouldn't be the best moment, but considering the fear of dying would be so high, it could excuse it.

Isn't that one Peg sister in FE6 a mom that goes into battle too though? Wasn't her name Juno? She has a baby with one of the knights. I give kudos to her so long as she got someone trustworthy and good to watch over the baby.

To play Devil's Advocate, Louise doesn't find out she's pregnant until the last map, and at that point, she's not really in a position to go anywhere until the immediate threat's been dealt with. I didn't even realize one of the Pegasus sisters was a mother. Serves me right for never using Juno or Zealot.

Yeah, Juno has recently given birth to a daughter during the events of FE6, and neither she nor her husband(who's also the baby's father) Jerrot have had time to really spend time with her because they've been busy doing mercenary work and fighting off Bern, and Juno left her in the care of a friend while she goes off to war, which I definitely agree was a smart move.

It probably wasn't intended, but the (who's also the baby's father) made me laugh more than it should have. If that wasn't the case, those would have been some very interesting support conversations.

My first thought was of Ethlyn but within seconds I remembered she basically got her husband and herself killed and her daughter raised by a super villain due to her own absolute carelessness. So my second thought was that Canas seemed to have turned out alright so I'd say Niime did a pretty good job of raising him.

Yeah, I'm surprised I forgot about Niime, who pulls off being a grandmother as well, without timey-wimey stuff like Fates and Awakening.

This goes for the Dads of FE, too, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to be away from my kids for that long, like many of them. The longest time I've ever been away from my son was three days, and it can be really tough.

Well, I never got THAT far into FE7 due to lack of interest, but as you said, we don't know when she found out she was pregnant. If she found out a good while before that last battle, then I think she was pretty stupid. And this makes more sense to me than finding out right before the final battle, because where would she find the time to at that point? This is a climatic point of the game, right?

Well, I never got THAT far into FE7 due to lack of interest, but as you said, we don't know when she found out she was pregnant. If she found out a good while before that last battle, then I think she was pretty stupid. And this makes more sense to me than finding out right before the final battle, because where would she find the time to at that point? This is a climatic point of the game, right?

Yeah, it's literally the last map, when you unlock the conversation. The Pent-Louise support chain is a bit different in that the conversations are tied to the map, rather than being unlocked after standing next to each other after a given amount of turns.

From the dialogue, I'm led to believe Louise just found out. She's tells Pent in the A support, and I can't speak for everyone, but your husband is usually the very first person you tell. If she had known earlier, Pent would have already known by then. We're not really sure how far along she is. They didn't exactly have pregnancy tests back then, and missing periods isn't always a surefire way to tell, especially for a woman with an athletic build who could be missing meals.

It wasn't inmediate.

When looking at the pre-chapter narrations and map, the fight against Limstella happens a good distance away from the Dragon's Gate. So there would be time traveling between locations. Then there's also the last Kishuna Chapter if we can consider that as well, causing an additional pit stop. It's enough time not fighting to find out, I'd think.

Besides, even if she found out with time to spare, there's the circumstances to consider. The threat that Nergal and the reoppening of the Dragon's Gate posed was so great, she would think her baby wouldn't be safe. She can still fight, so perhaps she considers the risk worth it if she can ensure her baby can grow up free of such threats.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I'm kind of shocked no one has brought her up yet, but by far the most kickass mother in FE history is Raquesis. Grand list of what she accomplishes: escapes Belhalla, finds Nana, protects her from all manner of danger, all while doing normal child rearing stuff like breastfeeding presumably, and then she goes and trucks through the Yied Desert trying to find her son. And she also succeeds at everything but the last one. What other mother in FE manages that? As for the worst, yeah, Sonia probably, although all of Garon's mistresses are shit too for putting their children through the stress of their rivalries.

That's all off screen stuff mostly regulated to developers notes so it's kind of hard to count it.

Re pregnant fighters, I'd just like to remind everyone that Ena was pregnant for 3~20 years and fights in Radiant Dawn carrying possibly one of the rarest creatures in the world. And she's a forced unit so the player can't even get out of endangering that baby. Course who the hell knows how risky dragon trimesters are.

Edited by Jotari

That's all off screen stuff mostly regulated to developers notes so it's kind of hard to count it.

Re pregnant fighters, I'd just like to remind everyone that Ena was pregnant for 3~20 years and fights in Radiant Dawn carrying possibly one of the rarest creatures in the world. And she's a forced unit so the player can't even get out of endangering that baby. Course who the hell knows how risky dragon trimesters are.

Amd you call yourself an FE nerd. You sicken me.

In all seriousness, the conversation between Nana and her brother pretty explicitly mentions what happened to Raquesis after Belhalla. It's in the game.

I excuse Ena only because of exactly that: we DON'T know how dragon laguz pregnancies work.

I excuse Ena only because of exactly that: we DON'T know how dragon laguz pregnancies work.

Maybe they lay eggs. That would make everything a lot easier.

Speaking of pregnant combatants, how the heck does it work in Fates? Do the mothers go hang out in the Deep Realms for nine months? Talk about a story flow breaker. Oh, Ryoma's really mad, I better go hang out in the Deep Realms for a couple years and have two kids, before I settle this problem.

It probably wasn't intended, but the (who's also the baby's father) made me laugh more than it should have. If that wasn't the case, those would have been some very interesting support conversations.

Well, I figured I should clarify, since him being her husband doesn't necessarily mean he's the father of her child, though it's unlikely Juno would cheat on Jerrot anyway.

Ethlin brings her toddler into battle with her even after her husband tells her several times to not do it--then due to her carelessness the Lance Ritter, Ethlin, and Cuan get massacred.

Ethlin brings her toddler into battle with her even after her husband tells her several times to not do it--then due to her carelessness the Lance Ritter, Ethlin, and Cuan get massacred.

Cuan and his knights would've gotten massacred anyway because of the sand. It was a facepalm-worthy decision on Ethlyn's part but Travant was planning the ambush before he even learned Ethlyn & Altena were there in the party. Altena's presence just gave him extra leverage and a bonus prize.

Even given the hand-wavy timelines, a substantial number of the FE4 Gen1 women would've HAD to be pregnant during some of Sigurd's campaigns, and they had kids along up until half the husbands tell the wives and kids to get out of danger during various points in Chapter 5, so it's not like having a kid along on the warpath was completely unheard of.

Still a bad decision... just not unprecedented and unfathomably bad.

Double post b/c my connection got spotty; please delete.

Edited by Cymbalina's Revenge

Best moms now?

I'd say Adean is a pretty great mom. She's one of the only survivors from the first generation characters in Genealogy, she raised her children along with SEVERAL others. I'd also say Raquesis is a pretty great mom, for many of the reasons other people have already listed. I'd also say Tiltyu/Tailto is a great mom, she took every beating and all the abuse from her wicked family so her daughter wouldn't have to, she took so much pain for her daughter that she died.

I'd like to say that Ethlyn was a good mom, and I'm sure she would have done a fine job raising her kids...but she made such a boneheaded decision and got herself killed and her daughter kidnapped. Eh...

Canas ended up being a good guy, so I'd say Niime was a good mom. Eleanora seemed to be a good mom to Eliwood, so I'd throw her into the "good mom" category. Juno is another good one, she has a child but she's busy doing mercenary work to support her family AND fighting a war to make sure their home is safe, leaving her child in the care of a close friend was a good call.

I'd like to say Louise is also a good mom, but like I mentioned with Pent...Clarine is pretty spoiled. However Klein is much more polite, so I'd say she was a pretty decent mom. And concerning Louise's pregnancy, by the time she found out she was pregnant...it was way too late to go back, she definitely would have if she'd of known sooner.

Sonia was obviously a terrible adoptive mother to Nino, she goes in the "bad/terrible mom" category.

Ena is kinda like Ethlyn and Louise. If I remember correctly, she KNEW she was pregnant but still went to battle. However, as others have said, we have no idea how pregnancy for dragons works, so...