Name pronounciations in FE

Alex95

I think you pronounce it how you want. I'm having people correct how I say names on here, but I'm probably going to ignore it in the long run because I'm used to pronouncing the names my way anyway.

Yeah, same here. Sometimes I'll switch to the correct pronunciation if I like it better. Like, I used to pronounce Ephraim totally wrong, but I found I like the correct way better ("EE-fruhm").

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how I pronounce them:

Draug - Drawg (like dog with an 'r')

Caeda - Shee-duh

Wrys - Riss, like the word wrist without the 't' sound in it

Ogier - Oh-jee-ay

Niime - Nee-may

Neimi - Neigh-mee

Titania - Ti-tawn-ya

Rhys - Reese

Panne - Pan

Yarne - Yarn

Noire - Like the french word 'noir'

i pronounced Soleil "Sol--eel" in my head until i played the actual paralogue

dammit

Tharja and Kjelle - i've been told how to actually pronounce them but my brain automatically says "thar-juh" and "kuh-jelly" respectively

which is not the proper way to pronounce either of them iirc

I think you pronounce it how you want. I'm having people correct how I say names on here, but I'm probably going to ignore it in the long run because I'm used to pronouncing the names my way anyway.

EDIT:

Kjelle was another one I forgot to mention. I always called her "Keh-jel" though. Is it really like "Chel"?

The reason why I stick to the correct pronunciation if I'm aware of it is because I don't want to be used to a wrong pronunciation in case I ever meet someone with that name in real life. It's fine if you're corrected once, but if someone kept repeating my real name the wrong way, I probably would find that annoying.

Kjell is most definitely pronounced "Chel". Since Kjelle doesn't seem to exist in any other language and Kjell is the closest to it, I'm sticking with that until proven otherwise.

i pronounced Soleil "Sol--eel" in my head until i played the actual paralogue

dammit

Tharja and Kjelle - i've been told how to actually pronounce them but my brain automatically says "thar-juh" and "kuh-jelly" respectively

which is not the proper way to pronounce either of them iirc

Have we got an official pronunciation for Tharja? I say Thar-juh, too.

How do people say Sain? I say Shane, sort of like how Sean is said "Shawn". Do others say Sane?

Well yeah, with real people, of course you want to pronounce their name right. :P

But we're talking about fictional characters. lol

Fictional characters with real names. I tend to pronounce names the same way in real life as I do in fiction.

How do people say Sain? I say Shane, sort of like how Sean is said "Shawn". Do others say Sane?

I say Sane. It never even occurred to me that it could be pronounced another way.

For Tharja and Sain, I go with how they're spelled: "Thar-juh" and "Sayn/Sane".

Full on voice acting for FE15, pls!

Tharja seems to be a variation of Tarja, which is 100% a real name (wikipedia says Finnish). In other words, in the real world an official pronunciation exists. If I'm not mistaken general rule of thumb of Scandinavian languages is that "j" is pronounced like "y".

My opinion on how to pronounce difficult names that are still real names … I totally get that some of them are difficult and that not everyone will be aware of all the real world cultures the Fe names come from, and that some people may prefer to pronounce it the "wrong" way even knowing the correct way. That's fine. But knowing the correct way is never a bad thing either, and someone saying they think the official way is stupid or wrong doesn't mean a thing.

Edited by Sunwoo

On that note the S in Camus is probably silent since it's a real French surname and given the location of Grust on the world map (west of the more Roman inspired nations) I doubt that's an accident. Then again his king was called Ludwick which is a distinctly more German so I'm not sure if you can even use culturial inspirastion a lot of the time.

Btw for anyone still struggling with Shiida, remember there was an anime that gave her name a pronunciation (though the localisation also called him Mars so grain of salt and all).

Edited by Jotari

Oh, as for L'arachel I feel like it looks french (dunno if that's right or not) so I pronounce it like La-ruh-shell (or maybe even la-ra-shell)

oh, but looking it up it looks like in the japanese version she's called Rachel?

idk either that suggests more how it was meant to be pronounced or I guess when they tried to localize it they wanted to be fancy ^o^

Edited by Freohr Datia

Oh, as for L'arachel I feel like it looks french (dunno if that's right or not) so I pronounce it like La-ruh-shell (or maybe even la-ra-shell)

oh, but looking it up it looks like in the japanese version she's called Rachel?

idk either that suggests more how it was meant to be pronounced or I guess when they tried to localize it they wanted to be fancy ^o^

Like the city? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Rochelle

The problem with translating マルス (over-literal Romaji: "Marusu") as "Mars" (as the old OVA did) is it's misleading. Most people would take one look at the name and pronounce it the same as the Roman god/planet, when the s should be a soft s and not pronounced like z as in the Roman god/Planet.

Just how I see it.

It's technically "Larchel" which leads me to think L'Arachel is supposed to be pronounced like La-ruh-chell, but since they made it all French-like with the L', I go for La-ruh-shell instead.

The problem with translating マルス (over-literal Romaji: "Marusu") as "Mars" (as the old OVA did) is it's misleading. Most people would take one look at the name and pronounce it the same as the Roman god/planet, when the s should be a soft s and not pronounced like z as in the Roman god/Planet.

Just how I see it.

Yeah, you're right. It's interesting to me that the Melee translators even stressed a nuance like that, though I guess the name "Marth" appeared on a bunch of official JP merch beforehand.

On the flipside, there's Asama being changed to Azama in Fates.

I thought the accepted theory there was that they didn't want it to sound like Osama? As in Osama Bin Laden, the guy responsible for 9/11? Makes enough sense to me. It's not appropriate to have anything remotely similar to that day in our media, imo. It would feel insensitive and just inappropriate. 9/11 was a very serious time for this country.

Edited by Anacybele

I haven't hung around the Fates board since it was released in Japan, so I'm afraid you'll have to bear with me if I bring up something the fandom already resolved.

On that note the S in Camus is probably silent since it's a real French surname and given the location of Grust on the world map (west of the more Roman inspired nations) I doubt that's an accident. Then again his king was called Ludwick which is a distinctly more German so I'm not sure if you can even use culturial inspirastion a lot of the time.

I'm actually curious where the translation "Ludwick" came from. The way his name is pronounced in Japanese sounds a lot more like French "Louis", which was actually the name of a lot of French kings.

Just how I see it.

The thing is, some of FE1's names are pretty clearly references to Roman mythology and history. マルス (Marusu) is as clear of a reference to the Roman god Mars as ミネルバ (Mineruba) is to the Roman goddess Minerva. I personally feel that translating it as "Marth" was a pretty big miss.

And if we're going by "official pronunciation" (as in: the Latin pronunciation of the name "Mars"), it should be pronounced with a soft S anyway.