Name pronounciations in FE

Alex95

Niime is actually a variation of Nimue. (and is what it likely would be if localized.) Nimue is pronounced "Nim-oo-eh". But since Niime is missing the u, i called her "Neem-eh."

Her name's already been localized though. She was mentioned by name in FE7 in a support convo between Canas and Pent, where she was called "Niime".

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her name's already been localized though. She was mentioned by name in FE7 in a support convo between Canas and Pent, where she was called "Niime".

Bruh, no joke? All the years ive owned that game, ive never seen this convo. The More You KNow! (thanks) So Niime it is. (still a variant of Nimue i think)

Bruh, no joke? All the years ive owned that game, ive never seen this convo. The More You KNow! (thanks) So Niime it is. (still a variant of Nimue i think)

http://serenesforest.net/blazing-sword/scripts/supports/canas-pent/

There's the convo if you're curious. It's in their B support. And it's indeed a variant of Nimue. In fact, Nimue is her NOJ name.

Rhys's Japanese name is キルロイ, which NoJ romanizes as Kilroy.

I see, I thought it was a Throatwobbler Mangrove thing.

I thought of another one to shamelessly bump this thread with: Bartre. We say "Bar-tray" but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Also, I've been hearing in this thread that "Thar-ja" is not how you say Tharja, but no one is saying otherwise, so...

Unrelated: My brother says his headcanon name for Roy is "Elroy", keeping with the naming theme in his family (Elbert, Elenora, Eliwood). Just felt that was funny or cool enough to share. :)

All your opinions are shit.

It's pronounced "Kilroy".

Because he has an unbridled hatred for Roy's crappy stats.

Or maybe he's just a big Styx fan.

L'Arachel I pronounced as "Lah-rah-kel"

I used to think Eirika was "Eye-rick-ah" but then the ad for the second series of Awakening DLC pronounced it as just Erika so I switched to that.

For Tharja I'm on the "Thar-yuh" side seeing as her Japanese name is "Sar-yuh"

Titania is "Tih-tah-nya"

I thought of another one to shamelessly bump this thread with: Bartre. We say "Bar-tray" but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Also, I've been hearing in this thread that "Thar-ja" is not how you say Tharja, but no one is saying otherwise, so...

I pronounce Bartre like the word "barter". After a quick look at his Japanese name, I think I've probably been pronouncing it right.

I have heard Tharja pronounced as "Thar-e-uh"

For Tharja I'm on the "Thar-yuh" side seeing as her Japanese name is "Sar-yuh"

..."Thar-jah" just sounds better to me out of all of them, really.

I pronounce Bartre like the word "barter". After a quick look at his Japanese name, I think I've probably been pronouncing it right.

"Barter" was another way I was thinking, but the spelling threw me off. "Bu-a-tu-re" I believe is the romanji of his JP name, and the vowel "e" is pronounced like "eh," so "Bar-treh?"

I have heard Tharja pronounced as "Thar-e-uh"

That's a reference to something, but I can't put my finger on it.

Not sure reference is the right word. It's a frequent example of how illogical English spelling is that Ghoti can legitmately be pronunced as Fish. The Gh is taken from Tough and the Ti is from words that end in Tion that are pronunced Shin or Shion like Emotion.

Edited by Jotari

..."Thar-jah" just sounds better to me out of all of them, really.

It's pronounced close to "Tar-ya". It looks like a variation of the real name "Tarja", and it's basically just an "h" added into it. You can google "pronunciation of 'Tharja/Tarja'" and it'll tell you the actual pronunciation. It's not "Thar-ja".

If you like that it's pronounced "Thar-ja" then that's your opinion, but FE regularly uses names that are from non-English speaking languages, and not all of them follow English pronunciation rules. If you're sincerely curious about how names are actually pronounced, regardless of your own preference, it wouldn't hurt to do a little bit of google.

Edited by Sunwoo

The people in the Treehouse stream of SMT#FE said Tharja as... Thar-jah. I think.

Guess that answers that, probably.

Probably not considering those people might have been saying it wrong too.

Not sure reference is the right word. It's a frequent example of how illogical English spelling is that Ghoti can legitmately be pronunced as Fish. The Gh is taken from Tough and the Ti is from words that end in Tion that are pronunced Shin or Shion like Emotion.

That's the general idea, plus the way "O" is pronounced in women.

Probably not considering those people might have been saying it wrong too.

I guess it's just easier to pronounce a name based on how it's spelled (which I've witnessed quite a lot recently, tbh...)