Navarre - Nuh-vuh-rray

Tharja - Turr-Juh

Rajaion - Ruh-juh-eon

Ena - Ay-nuh

Eirika - Ay-ree-kuh

Pieri - Pee-ay-ree

Lucina - Loo-tchee-nuh

etc

If there is a name whose pronunciation is unknown to me I will read it with the Italian alphabet. I guess this would change if I spoke in english about FE with someone.

Anyway, when I heard the english dub in RD pronounce Deghinsea's name, my world fell apart.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with translating マルス (over-literal Romaji: "Marusu") as "Mars" (as the old OVA did) is it's misleading. Most people would take one look at the name and pronounce it the same as the Roman god/planet, when the s should be a soft s and not pronounced like z as in the Roman god/Planet.

Just how I see it.

This is also an issue of romancing Klain from FE6's name as "Klein", it causes people to mispronounce it as "Cline" when it's meant to be pronounced "Clane", which is why the new FE6 translation called him Klain, not to mention FE12 already has a Klein. I honestly think if and when gringe updates it though, he should go with a spelling such as "Klane" that makes the intended pronunciation even more obvious, as Klain could still be interpreted as being pronounced like "Cline".

Anyway, since someone else posted a list with more names, I'll mention how I pronounce those:

L'Arachel: Usually I pronounce it Lar-uh-shell, but sometimes I pronounce it La-Rachel(as in the name Rachel) for amusement.

Deghinsea: Deh-ginn-see. That's deh with an eh as in "bet" or "yen", ginn with a hard g as in "goat" and a short i as in "inn", and see as in pronounced exactly like the word "see".

Navarre: Nuh-var(rhymes with jar). I just looked up the pronunciation, as Navarre is a real world place, and it seems I've been pronouncing it correctly.

Tharja: Thar-juh. Tharya sounds too weird to me.

Rajaion: Ruh-jie-on.

Ena: Ee-nuh.

Eirika: Like the name "Erika".

Lucina: Loo-see-nuh. I know her name is spoken at the very least in Smash Bros, and I think Awakening too, so her name pronunciation shouldn't be ambiguous.

One other I forgot to mention was Sothe. I pronounce his name as "So-they", but I've also heard it as the word "Sooth." If it's pronounced in RD during a cutscene, I have not played it.

Sothe is actually like sloth without the L. I heard Micaiah say it like this in the first RD cutscene.

Marcia is a weird case. I've heard it as both "MAR-see-ah" and "Marsha" so I really have no idea how it's meant to be said for the FE character. I say the former though.

And CrimeanRoyalKnight, I thought I was the only one who didn't say "Erica" for Eirika! I say "Eye-REEK-ah" though.

Edited by Anacybele

I know it's not right but I tend to ignore the apostophy and second A so I pronunce L'Arachel as Larchel, or Lar-chul. Anyone else instinctivly say it that way.

Oh, as for L'arachel I feel like it looks french (dunno if that's right or not) so I pronounce it like La-ruh-shell (or maybe even la-ra-shell)

oh, but looking it up it looks like in the japanese version she's called Rachel?

idk either that suggests more how it was meant to be pronounced or I guess when they tried to localize it they wanted to be fancy ^o^

Why didn't they just keep it as Rachel? That would have been cool. We need more Rachels in the world.

I pronounce all the ladies from Tellius with the ending -ica equally.

Marcia = Mar-see-ah

Elincia = E-lin-see-ah

Lucia = Luh-see-ah

I pronounce Elincia the same, but I say Mar-shuh and Lu-shuh, since the people I know with those names pronounce it that way.

If it wasn't for the N, I'd say Elincia like Eh-lee-shuh.

Edited by Rezzy

I'm actually curious where the translation "Ludwick" came from. The way his name is pronounced in Japanese sounds a lot more like French "Louis", which was actually the name of a lot of French kings.

The thing is, some of FE1's names are pretty clearly references to Roman mythology and history. マルス (Marusu) is as clear of a reference to the Roman god Mars as ミネルバ (Mineruba) is to the Roman goddess Minerva. I personally feel that translating it as "Marth" was a pretty big miss.

And if we're going by "official pronunciation" (as in: the Latin pronunciation of the name "Mars"), it should be pronounced with a soft S anyway.

At least around here with our thick Cleveland accents, we use the hard s. So it could just be the region I'm from being weird and not like the Latin way. So... Yeah.

I pronounce Elincia the same, but I say Mar-shuh and Lu-shuh, since the people I know with those names pronounce it that way.

If it wasn't for the N, I'd say Elincia like Eh-lee-shuh.

Several people do it.

Mar-see-ah and Lu-see-ah are common names in East Europe so the reason for my way of pronouncing them.

I want to understand why "Sothe" is "Soth" and not "So-thee".

WHY?!?!?

Trying to understand the illogicality of English spelling is a fruitless task. Most of the time there is no meaning and it's just a bunch of mistakes and stolen ideas bundled together in a chaotic mess.

I want to understand why "Sothe" is "Soth" and not "So-thee".

WHY?!?!?

I dunno, So-thee sounds pretty feminine to me. I never considered that way. I wasn't sure if it rhymed with moth or both during PoR, but settled on moth.

"So-thee" sounds stupid and feminine while "Soth" actually sounds like a name, and a boy's name at that. That's probably why. :P

And even disregarding the English language's weirdness, names are a whole different ballpark when it comes to pronunciation.

Edited by Anacybele

Sothe is actually like sloth without the L. I heard Micaiah say it like this in the first RD cutscene.

Marcia is a weird case. I've heard it as both "MAR-see-ah" and "Marsha" so I really have no idea how it's meant to be said for the FE character. I say the former though.

And CrimeanRoyalKnight, I thought I was the only one who didn't say "Erica" for Eirika! I say "Eye-REEK-ah" though.

Huh. Okay.

For Marcia, I have an aunt who spells her name that way and pronounces it "Mar-sha" so that's what I use.

For Eirika, I normally say "Air-ik-ah", though I sometimes slip and say simply Erika anyways :P

Huh. Okay.

For Marcia, I have an aunt who spells her name that way and pronounces it "Mar-sha" so that's what I use.

For Eirika, I normally say "Air-ik-ah", though I sometimes slip and say simply Erika anyways :P

Isn't Air-ik-ah how you pronounce Erika anyway?

Another one is Fir from FE6. I've always said Fur, like a fir tree, but I've been hearing Fear a lot lately.

I've always pronounced them "Fear" and "El-ee-wood" myself, and looking at their Japanese names, those do seem to be the intended pronunciations.

Another one is Fir from FE6. I've always said Fur, like a fir tree, but I've been hearing Fear a lot lately.

Fir is フィル, so a long e sound is likely the case.

I guess how people pronounce names would be based on their dialect.

Example: Eliwood. I say "El-ee-wood", but also heard it as "El-eh-wood" or "El-eye-wood."

エリウッド

Also seems to be meant for a long e sound.

The first statement is accurate it seems, given the "Mars" issue from earlier.

You can look it up as well. And find that "Rice" is a name. I've only heard it used for a name one time, but it's there. And people use different spellings of the same name all the time.

It's pretty clearly intended to be the Welsh name Rhys though.

Which is pronounced "rees"

All your opinions are shit.

It's pronounced "Kilroy".

Because he has an unbridled hatred for Roy's crappy stats.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Rhys is rees/reece. Deal with it. I knew someone with that name.

I say Eirika like "Ehr-ikah".

Niime is actually a variation of Nimue. (and is what it likely would be if localized.) Nimue is pronounced "Nim-oo-eh". But since Niime is missing the u, i called her "Neem-eh."

L'Arachel, i say with a bit of flourish. "Lah-Ra-shell"

Kjelle was one i actually needed to consult someone about. Kjell is actually a masculine Norwegian name and pronounced like the word Shell. Except the SH sound is pronounced a little more like a CH.

Neimi rhymes with Amy.

Caeda is "Sey-dah." the Cae is like the one in Caesar.

Navarre, i always called him "Nav-arr"

Rajaion, i call him "Raj-Eye-on"

Deghinsea, i always said this one and Caineghis correctly. It baffled the fuck out of me when the Narrator in FE10 said those names this way because it matched mine.

Marcia as "Marsha"

All your opinions are shit.

It's pronounced "Kilroy".

Because he has an unbridled hatred for Roy's crappy stats.

It's spelled Ghoti, but it's pronounced "fish".