Between the Dreamworlds: Savers of the Apocalypse - Sign-in

Enaluxeme

That's true, but what I was saying was that part of the reason for the long delay is the fact that the mod has to roll the result of each move before the next move can be done. If possible, I would like for the new system to eliminate this need. In a perfect world, the players themselves can roll the result of their own move, but well...

The actual underlying problem is that the turns follow a strict order which can get hung-up if someone doesn't reply, but nothing can be done about that beyond slapping a time-limit.

I'm currently trying to think of an answer as to how to make it more streamlined, but it's having a fundamental problem. Namely that my current idea follows the notion of Strength/Spirit - DEF/RES + roll = final damage. The problem being that Shepard's basic shot would deal a minimum of 36 damage (before defense) while his incendiary shot deals a max of 25 (before RES). Rolling itself isn't much of an issue as there are sites out there that allow for linkable, trackable, rolls to ensure people don't cheat.

While I could remove Strength/Spirit/DEF/RES and have everything function off of what the ability says it does I'd want to make sure everyone was okay with that before I did so.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rolling itself isn't much of an issue as there are sites out there that allow for linkable, trackable, rolls to ensure people don't cheat.

Doesn't stop people from re-rolling until they get a more desirable result. But eh, not much I can say about that.

I would think that removing stats would remove character diversity (or make it harder to implement) so I would be against it. I thought of a system where rolls don't determine the exact damage an attack deals but rather how the shot hits (Roll-Avoid<10, Half-hit 0.5x damage; Roll-Avoid>30, Critical 1.5x damage) But I haven't really tested the practicality of this system.

Skype sort-of makes a mess of my computer. Discord outright freezes it.

We don't have to right now, and I can't, so someone just needs to make a PM thread or SF IRC chatroom for us until I have a device that can support its own Discord server.

[spoiler=Thyme 2.0]

Thyme

Health Points: 90

Mana Points: 150

Strength: 2

Spirit: 12

Defense: 10

Resistance: 13

Speed: 28

Accuracy: +20

Skills

Name: Punch

Type: Physical, Blunt, Melee

Cost: 0

Base Damage: 1-2

Base Accuracy: 60

Base cooldown: 0

Effect: Thyme feels really sad and chides herself for running out of MP.

Name: Fire

Type: Magical, Fire, Ranged

Base Damage: 4-6

Base Accuracy: 90

Cost: 10 MP

Cooldown: 40

Name: Ice

Type: Magical, Ice, Ranged

Cooldown: 40

Name: Thunder

Type: Magical, Electric, Ranged

Base Damage 2-3

Cooldown: 20

Effect: 55% chance of stunning a foe (foe loses their next round of combat. Each stun increases the targets resistance to stun).

Name: Scathe

Type: Magical, Arcane, Ranged

Base Damage: 5-7

Cost: 20 MP.

Cooldown: 0

Effect: Scathe can be used immediately after a 'Fire' or 'Ice' spell. Scathe gains the bonus effect of astral fire/umbral ice. Using Scathe instantly switches Thyme to the first level of the alternate mode. Scathe can only be used in Astral Fire III or Umbral Ice III.

Name: Virus

Type: Special

Cost: 15 MP

Cooldown: 30

Accuracy: 100

Effect: For the next 2 turns damage dealt by this target is reduced by 20% (minimum: 1). The target cannot be re-infected

Name: Cure

Accuracy: - / 100

Effect: Heal target unit for 10 HP. If target is undead than deal 20 damage instead. Healing/damage is stat-independent.

Name: Eye for an Eye

Cost: 40 MP.

Effect: Reduce all damage the target takes by 1-2 for two turns. This spell can only be used once every ten turns.

Name: Flare

Type: Magical, Fire, Ranged

Damage: 7-8

Cost: 25 MP

Effect: Can strike up to 3 targets at once.

Name: Enochian

Cooldown: 50

Effect: The next spell Thyme casts will deal +50% base damage. This ability can only be used twice per combat. This effect persists through stun, sleep, and silence.

Name: Astral Flare

Type: Magical, Ranged, Fire

Cost: 55 MP

Base Damage: 15-20

Accuracy: 70

Cooldown: -20

Effect: Can only be used while Enochian is active. 35% chance of burn.

Name: Umbral Blizzard

Type: Magical, Ice, Ranged

Cost: 55 MP.

Base Damage: 14-18

Accuracy: 70

Cooldown: -20

Effect: Can only be used while Enochian is active. Can strike up to 2 targets. 50% chance of freezing the target.

Name: Mega-Flare

Type: Magical, Arcane, Ranged

Damage: 30+

Cost: -

Base Accuracy: 50.

Cooldown while charging: 70

Cooldown: -100

Effect: Thyme cannot use this ability for the first 20 of her turns of battle. After use Thyme cannot use this ability again for another 20 turns. After casting Thyme can 'charge' the spell. For each turn charged its damage increases by 10 and its accuracy increases by 15. Every ally with 10 or less HP (does not apply if max HP is less than 30) boosts this damage by an additional 5 and accuracy by 10. No outside bonuses or penalties from any source can effect either damage or accuracy while charging. Can hit up to 3 targets.

Passive

Thyme is constantly shifting between three modes depending on the spell she last cast.

Name: Neutral

Effect: Thyme regains 5 MP. If a fire or ice spell is cast switch to that respective mode.

Name: Astral Fire I/II/III

Effect: While this mode is active increase damage dealt with fire spells by 25%/50%/100% and their mana costs by 40%/80%/160%. Reduce the costs of ice spells by 20%/40%/80%. If an Ice Spell is cast switch to Umbral Ice. If two turns pass without Thyme casting a fire spell switch to Neutral

Name: Umbral Ice I/II/III

Effect: While in this mode Thyme regains 10/15/25 MP a turn. Reduce the cost of fire spells by 20%/40%/80%. If a Fire Spell is cast switch to Astral Fire. If two turns pass without casting an ice spell switch to neutral.

Name: The Echo

Effect: Immune to confusion. Thyme gains +10% resistance to Silence and Stun.

May as well go into my design choices.

With Shepard I wanted to have an outright soldier. He's big, tough, swings around his guns, can put on the pressure without much fear, and if things get sucky he can both heal his allies and draw aggro. He's a quick and powerful bruiser whose every action will put pressure on whatever poor foe is his target. His Collector Beam serves as an ammo dump into which he can quickly rip into something assuming he's willing to go the rest of the fight without ammo or use what ammo he has left to swiftly end a fight before something nasty can happen.

With Thyme I wanted to focus on a single philosophy. Go big or go home. She's brimming with power, she's got versatility, and she is gonna be ramming into cooldowns, charge-ups, and trying to keep her modes in balance. She's not a healer but she can help in a pinch. She's not a buffer/debuffer but she can help in a pinch, but her focus is on big plays. Big plays she can't do constantly. Flare may be a potent AoE for one or two casts, but suddenly her mana-pool is gone and she's stuck slinging blizzard spells; not to mention it's cooldown is sucky. She goes off to cure people for too long? All her prior work is rendered pointless as her stacks fade. Mega-Flare is basically a limit-break in that it will be rare to come up and often impractical against munchies (20 turns in AND she only has a 50% chance to hit for 30 damage?), but when the **** hits the fan, allies are dropping, and the thing needed most is just for something to ****ing DIE, she can blast it. If she's willing to effectively lose a turn after just recovering.

Ricardo: I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking of having him focus on basically using a more powerful mode but having to charge it up with his lesser mode first similar to HDD in Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Rufas: I'm likely gonna leave largely untouched aside from a few number tweaks and potentially giving him another support ability.

Noel: I'm thinking of reducing the power of some of her moves but making them also fairly fast to try and replicate her fighting game combat style a bit better. In a nutshell I'm thinking of making her a rogue.

Fennel: Gonna be an AoE damage dealer. I want to see if I can give her a BIT more flexibility beyond 'AoE' and 'Debuff'.

If you have any notes/suggestions I'm always willing to listen.

Edited by Snowy_One

How much do you like randomness in battle? Part of Fennel's gimmick is Riot Formula, which does random elemental damage to random enemies.

I worship Anna, but I am no fool to tempt her whims. I like randomness and luck but I like it in controlled amounts, lest I roll natural 1's when I need a natural 20.

Ricardo: I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking of having him focus on basically using a more powerful mode but having to charge it up with his lesser mode first similar to HDD in Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Mode switching?

You know, I think it would be best if it was like in the source material.

I worship Anna, but I am no fool to tempt her whims. I like randomness and luck but I like it in controlled amounts, lest I roll natural 1's when I need a natural 20.

How 'bout if Fennel's group spells did D6/2 hits instead? With Estacheon active, she always get the maximum number of hits. To compensate, each individual hit can be weaker, and/or each additional hit does 1/2 damage instead.

Noel: I'm thinking of reducing the power of some of her moves but making them also fairly fast to try and replicate her fighting game combat style a bit better. In a nutshell I'm thinking of making her a rogue.

This sounds fairly accurate. Noel's base damage in BB is pretty low, and with the exception of Optic Barrel she depends on being close to land hits. Her greatest strengths are having the run-speed to close that gap, and turning one successful hit into a long string of hits (fear the Drive button!).

Or just have her do this:

Since I had Noel planned out already...

[spoiler= Noel Vermillion]Noel Vermillion

Noel

Health Points: 100

Heat Points: 10

Combo: 0

Strength: 10

Spirit: 9

Defense: 9

Resistance: 9

Speed: 30

Accuracy: +10

Skills

Name: Revolver Blast

Type: Physical, Ranged

Base Damage: 4-8

Base Accuracy: 80

Effect: If used on a target with full HP the next attack will generate an additional combo point.

Name: Bloom Trigger

Effect: If the target was attacked last with 'Revolver Blast' this skills damage range becomes 6-12, accuracy becomes 90, and generates one combo point.

Name: Pistol Whip

Type: Physical, melee

Effect: Generates 1 combo point.

Name: Backhanded Whip

Type: Physical, Melee

Base Damage: 1-3

Effect: If the last attack used on the target was 'Pistol whip', generates 1 combo point and gain 10 speed. If the prior attack on the target was not from Noel this attack generates 1 combo point and loses 20 speed.

Name: Axe Kick

Base Damage: 2-4

Base Accuracy: 50

Effect: If Noel has 2 or more combo points on a target the foe becomes 'knocked up' and the accuracy for this become 100 and the cooldown 80. Generates 1 combo point.

Name: Overhead Shot

Base Accuracy: 0

Effect: If a foe is 'knocked up' the accuracy for this become 100 and the cooldown 80. Generates 1 combo point.

Name: Spinning aerial barrage

Base damage: 1-2

Base accuracy: 0

Effect: If a foe is 'knocked up' and has 4 or more combo points on it this attack can be used again instantly (up to 2 times), has a base accuracy of 100, and a base cooldown of 80. Generates 1 combo point.

Name: Aerial Axe Kick

Effect: If a foe is 'knocked up' this attacks damage becomes 6-8 and accuracy becomes 100.

Name: Bullet Hell

Base Damage: 1

Base Accuracy: -

Cooldown: -10

Cost: 15+ Heat points.

Effect: Noel can expend as many heat points as she desires for this ability (min 15). For each point expended another attack happens instantly. This ability can only be activated once per combat.

Name: Zero Gun: Thor

Type: Physical, Ranged, Fire

Base Damage: 0

Cooldown: 10

Effect: This guns damage is equal to the last amount of combo points Noel had. Deals damage to all targets. Cannot be used after Zero Gun: Fenrir.

Name: Zero Gun: Fenrir

Base Damage: 10-12

Base Accuracy: 70

Cost: 12 Heat Points

Effect: Cannot be used after Zero Gun: Thor

Passive

Name: Warming Up

Effect: Whenever a combo ends Noel gains as much heat as she had combo points -1.

Name: Ars Magus

Effect: Noel ignores any timed buffs to an opponents defense.

Quirks: Combo: Whenever Noel attacks a foe that was last attacked by her she can gain combo points. If, at any time, she uses a skill that does not generate a combo point, takes damage, or the target is hit by anything else the combo ends.

Overdrive: Unlimited Form. Noel has an Overdrive Gauge that fills overtime at 4 Speed. When the Overdrive Gauge is full, Noel can activate her Unlimited Form, granting her 30 Heat Points and the following status:

• Unlimited Form: +5 Strength, +5 Defense, +3 Resistance, +5 Speed, +10 Accuracy.

The duration of this status varies depending oh Noel's remaining Health Points:

• 75 or more Health Points: 1 turn.
  • Between 50 and 74 Health Points: 2 turns.
  • Between 25 and 49 Health Points: 3 turns.
  • Less than 25 Health Points: 5 turns.

Basically I tried to turn Noel from someone who just had a high speed stat into someone who wanted to try and get in a bunch of fast, but weak, attacks in fairly 1v1 duels. Some of her abilities basically completely wiff if she isn't involved in a combo, but when she DOES follow into a combo she can pile on the weak hits.

I was tempted to throw in a passive in which, any time someone insults her chest, she gains +1 heat as well, but not only does that seem OOC for her, the schtick would be funny about once and then just dissolve down to either team-mates intentionally insulting her to gain heat, out-of-combat boosts, or the occasional rare boost from a dumb foe. Not to mention being a bit insulting to women, and Noel especially, and I happen to very much like both. A cheap laugh isn't worth degrading Noel like that by any means.

Edited by Snowy_One

If I'm going to be the creative director, I want to go to a world that is somehow connected to any one of us vaguely. The choices I have in mind are:

Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Kingdom Hearts

Dragon Age/KOTOR

Mobile Suit Gundam

Guilty Gear/ King of Fighters

Any other anime that isn't FMA or FMA:B

Some of these I have no idea what to do with, but if someone wants to help out with some of the lore or technology (or lack thereof), please do.

I know little about MSG, EMD, or GG/KoF. I don't really know all that much about the Final Fantasy side of Kingdom Hearts, but I can at least operate off of the Disney side. Depending on what you guys want, you can either write down the lore of stuff or suggest let's plays for me to do research with.

It should be a universe in which there can be a distinct moment to breath before **** goes down. I'd suggest KoF then or something close. Kingdom Hearts would put them up against beings seeking to steal their hearts (when it's not even clear if that would be counter-productive for Thyme and Noel and if Shep's heart can be stolen due to being a zombie), Dragon Age seems like a REALLY bad idea if you want to keep accurate to the source material since it's basically 'Game of Thrones: Bioware'. KoToR might work...

But beyond that I simply don't know what would be a good choice. Not like I'm gonna suggest they start in Kill La Kill's world.

Edit: I'm going to add in that I fully expect to have to perform changes/edits based upon how things end up. So your stats are not finalized... especially since I still don't know how the system itself operates beyond the basic level stuff.

Edited by Snowy_One

It should be a universe in which there can be a distinct moment to breath before **** goes down. I'd suggest KoF then or something close. Kingdom Hearts would put them up against beings seeking to steal their hearts (when it's not even clear if that would be counter-productive for Thyme and Noel and if Shep's heart can be stolen due to being a zombie), Dragon Age seems like a REALLY bad idea if you want to keep accurate to the source material since it's basically 'Game of Thrones: Bioware'. KoToR might work...

But beyond that I simply don't know what would be a good choice. Not like I'm gonna suggest they start in Kill La Kill's world.

I thought Dragon Age would be interesting because 2/3 of us use magic (Rufus, Noel, Thyme, and Fennel) and hence would be restricted in either magic use or party characters, depending on how it starts. Unless we started in Tevinter, which comes with its own problems. We could split up males and females, especially given the dynamic between both sets of characters.

If we're still going with the previous theme, I would propose starting in a medium where a bad ending is unpreventable, where we tried to 'prevent' said ending and failed, resulting in the ending happening anyway. After which we'll travel to different places and prevent bad endings from happening. Might be a bit cliche though, but the story would be a lot better when we know what's at stake.

If you're going for the surprise factor, you can do it on the second or third world when everything seems great and the players feel invincible. Though anyone that's remotely familiar with the setting might spot the twist from a mile away. I'd give a few examples, but nothing really comes to mid at the moment.

If we're still going with the previous theme, I would propose starting in a medium where a bad ending is unpreventable, where we tried to 'prevent' said ending and failed, resulting in the ending happening anyway. After which we'll travel to different places and prevent bad endings from happening. Might be a bit cliche though, but the story would be a lot better when we know what's at stake.

If you're going for the surprise factor, you can do it on the second or third world when everything seems great and the players feel invincible. Though anyone that's remotely familiar with the setting might spot the twist from a mile away. I'd give a few examples, but nothing really comes to mid at the moment.

So, like Mother 3? Mind you, it's not really a bad ending, just kind of unfortunate that everything dies no matter which way you slice it. I also think Ena was going with a constant foe, along the lines of time lords or daleks. I'm not going with Dr. Who, but I'll think of something to fill that void, especially because a knowingly omnipotent deity is guiding our group of 6 people.

So, like Mother 3? Mind you, it's not really a bad ending, just kind of unfortunate that everything dies no matter which way you slice it. I also think Ena was going with a constant foe, along the lines of time lords or daleks. I'm not going with Dr. Who, but I'll think of something to fill that void, especially because a knowingly omnipotent deity is guiding our group of 6 people.

Sure. I'm not familiar with many fictional worlds, but everybody dying sounds like a sufficiently bad ending to me.

If we really want a 'bad' ending than maybe DA is our place so long as we end at Ostagar.

What about Haven instead? I wouldn't be opposed to Ostagar, but Inquisition has the better Doomsday scenario, as the Blight would've been stopped even after Ferelden's fall.

What about Haven instead? I wouldn't be opposed to Ostagar, but Inquisition has the better Doomsday scenario, as the Blight would've been stopped even after Ferelden's fall.

Because Inquisition sucks.

But, more to the point, Ostagar gives us a solid set up, a chance to both rest and fight against small groups of darkspawn and the like, and can be easily capped off with the final battle in which Duncan and Cailan fall. Meanwhile Haven starts off with fights relatively scattered only to culminate in an ending where a fortified position is over-run simply because. Not to mention Ostagar gives a bittersweet ending and shot of hope as opposed to just 'you lose' in ensuring Alistar and the Grey Warden(s) escape as opposed to just saving refugees.

Edit: Remember, this isn't just about 'bad ending' but 'starting things off'. Having a guarenteed 'you lose' situation seems really backhanded.

Also, I'd like to suggest that we give temporary plot-armor to our characters, at least until I've gotten the battle system balanced enough. I don't want a character to die because I thought an ability was strong and turns out to be ****ing weak and ending up with a meh character as a result.

Edited by Snowy_One

Because Inquisition sucks.

But, more to the point, Ostagar gives us a solid set up, a chance to both rest and fight against small groups of darkspawn and the like, and can be easily capped off with the final battle in which Duncan and Cailan fall. Meanwhile Haven starts off with fights relatively scattered only to culminate in an ending where a fortified position is over-run simply because. Not to mention Ostagar gives a bittersweet ending and shot of hope as opposed to just 'you lose' in ensuring Alistar and the Grey Warden(s) escape as opposed to just saving refugees.

Edit: Remember, this isn't just about 'bad ending' but 'starting things off'. Having a guarenteed 'you lose' situation seems really backhanded.

Also, I'd like to suggest that we give temporary plot-armor to our characters, at least until I've gotten the battle system balanced enough. I don't want a character to die because I thought an ability was strong and turns out to be ****ing weak and ending up with a meh character as a result.

Are you forgetting that we could steer the Inquisitor to where Justinia is? I see your point still, even though I like the battle system in Inquisition better than in Origins. And plot armor can be invoked if the party loses, because I really prefer deaths in forum RPs to be at the discretion of the poster behind them, but a 0 HP will mean they will be at 1 HP until they can heal, which they might not be able to if the plot demands constant fighting.

Since I had Noel planned out already...

[spoiler= Noel Vermillion]Noel Vermillion

Health Points: 100

Heat Points: 10

Combo: 0

Strength: 28

Spirit: 12

Defense: 27

Resistance: 28

Speed: 30

Accuracy: +10

Skills

Name: Revolver Blast

Effect: If used on a target with full HP the next attack will generate an additional combo point.

Name: Bloom Trigger

Effect: If the target was attacked last with 'Revolver Blast' this skills damage range becomes 6-12, accuracy becomes 90, and generates one combo point.

Name: Pistol Whip

Effect: Generates 1 combo point.

Name: Backhanded Whip

Base Damage: 1-3

Effect: If the last attack used on the target was 'Pistol whip', generates 1 combo point and gain 10 speed. If the prior attack on the target was not from Noel this attack generates 1 combo point and loses 20 speed.

Name: Axe Kick

Base Damage: 2-4

Base Accuracy: 50

Effect: If Noel has 2 or more combo points on a target the foe becomes 'knocked up' and the accuracy and cooldown for this become 100. Generates 1 combo point.

Name: Overhead Shot

Effect: If a foe is 'knocked up' the accuracy and cooldown of this move becomes 100. Generates 1 combo point.

Name: Spinning aerial barrage

Base damage: 1-2

Base accuracy: 0

Effect: If a foe is 'knocked up' and has 4 or more combo points on it this attack can be used again instantly (up to 2 times), has a base accuracy of 100, and a base cooldown of 100. Generates 1 combo point.

Name: Aerial Axe Kick

Effect: If a foe is 'knocked up' this attacks damage becomes 6-8 and accuracy becomes 100.

Name: Bullet Hell

Base Damage: 1

Base Accuracy: -

Cooldown: -10

Cost: 15+ Heat points.

Effect: Noel can expend as many heat points as she desires for this ability (min 15). For each point expended another attack happens instantly. This ability can only be activated once per combat.

Name: Zero Gun: Thor

Type: Physical, Ranged, Fire

Base Damage: 0

Cooldown: 10

Effect: This guns damage is equal to the last amount of combo points Noel had. Deals damage to all targets. Cannot be used after Zero Gun: Fenrir.

Name: Zero Gun: Fenrir

Base Damage: 10-12

Base Accuracy: 70

Cost: 12 Heat Points

Effect: Cannot be used after Zero Gun: Thor

Passive

Name: Warming Up

Effect: Whenever a combo ends Noel gains as much heat as she had combo points -1.

Name: Ars Magus

Effect: Noel ignores any timed buffs to an opponents defense.

Quirks: Combo: Whenever Noel attacks a foe that was last attacked by her she can gain combo points. If, at any time, she uses a skill that does not generate a combo point, takes damage, or the target is hit by anything else the combo ends.

Overdrive: Unlimited Form. Noel has an Overdrive Gauge that fills overtime at 4 Speed. When the Overdrive Gauge is full, Noel can activate her Unlimited Form, granting her 30 Heat Points and the following status:

• Unlimited Form: +5 Strength, +5 Defense, +3 Resistance, +5 Speed, +10 Accuracy.

The duration of this status varies depending oh Noel's remaining Health Points:

• 75 or more Health Points: 1 turn.
  • Between 50 and 74 Health Points: 2 turns.
  • Between 25 and 49 Health Points: 3 turns.
  • Less than 25 Health Points: 5 turns.

Basically I tried to turn Noel from someone who just had a high speed stat into someone who wanted to try and get in a bunch of fast, but weak, attacks in fairly 1v1 duels. Some of her abilities basically completely wiff if she isn't involved in a combo, but when she DOES follow into a combo she can pile on the weak hits.

I was tempted to throw in a passive in which, any time someone insults her chest, she gains +1 heat as well, but not only does that seem OOC for her, the schtick would be funny about once and then just dissolve down to either team-mates intentionally insulting her to gain heat, out-of-combat boosts, or the occasional rare boost from a dumb foe. Not to mention being a bit insulting to women, and Noel especially, and I happen to very much like both. A cheap laugh isn't worth degrading Noel like that by any means.

Yep, this looks good! Also yeah probably a safe bet not to throw in the joke passive. Besides if Calamity Trigger is any indication, having the other party members insult her features would cause the next enemy for the team to fight be HER (rip Bang).

As for world suggestions I'm not picky.