(GameXplain's) Paper Mario: Color Splash Developer Interview - Risa Tabata

Busterman64

So GameXplain had an interview with a Developer for Color Splash and...you'll probably want to watch this( if you haven't already).

http://youtu.be/oD2YdfSCw5Y

Thank you GameXplain, this was needed!

Oh, and just to say this now, this game does look good and seems better than Sticker Star(the 2016 E3 trailer for this had a little charm to it), but it still stands...I want another Paper Mario RPG!

Just because AlphaDream makes Mario JRPGs doesn't mean you can't too IS! Just make a game like TTYD...

That said, at least battles aren't completely pointless. I probably won't play it, but they did seem to learn from some mistakes...

They reuploaded it. Although I heard they edit and cut out one of the question and answer.

Unfortunately it still didn't convince me. The battle system is still pointless. The bosses still have that one card that will destroy them completely. While the writing is a bit better, the character npc designs are still the same copy and paste. Still no partners, no unique worlds and very little actually improved. Still a no buy.

Edited by kingddd

I've been theorizing for a while that Paper Mario was tossed to the wolves to avoid having two Mario rpg's. Sadly I was right on that one. A bit of a shame the consistently more interesting of the rpg's got sacrificed.

Its weird how first the trailer and then the demo did everything it could to convince that Color splash would indeed be sticker star 2 without addressing the concerns everyone had with that game. So far it seems to repeat every mistake of Sticker Star.

But on a brighter note: Morton did look amazing in his paper form and his fire hammer was legitimately baddass.

Color Splash looks amazing. Whether you like it or not, you can definitely tell that Ms. Tabata is putting her heart into this game. From the Treehouse stream, you could really tell she was having fun. Even if you don't like Sticker Star or this game, they should at least be respected because they're being made with love.

I'm actually glad the JRPG elements are gone. Watching the Treehouse stream absolutely sold this game, and Huey looks adorable. I love the paint and cards systems, and I love that the Koopalings are back. I love Morton's dumb brute personality because it sets him apart from Roy, who has always been the smart brute. I trust the team to give all seven Koopalings fun battles and personalities like Morton had.

If they go back to the old formula one day, I hope it's more like Paper Mario 64 than TTYD because I hate TTYD. Paper Mario 64 definitely had a much greater charm than TTYD.

Unfortunately it still didn't convince me. The battle system is still pointless. The bosses still have that one card that will destroy them completely. While the writing is a bit better, the character npc designs are still the same copy and paste. Still no partners, no unique worlds and very little actually improved. Still a no buy.

So all you want is another PM64 re-hash, right?

So all you want is another PM64 re-hash, right?

It's better than the system we have in Sticker Stars or this game.

This argument holds no water considering the character designs, enemies, the NPCs, the bosses are way more rehashed than the first two paper Marios. Early Paper Mario games have more unique aesthetics and character designs. For example, while there were toads everywhere, many of toads all have unique looks to them that are fitting for the settings that they are in. They had professor looking toads, a train conductor, a disko looking toad and girl toads.

This game has none of that. It's all the same recoloured toads. That's lazy design at its core.

You also can't really say this considering the amount of people who want the classic Fire Emblem style gameplay.

Edited by kingddd

Someone in the video comments posted a link to a petition to show fan demand for a Thousand Year Door remaster. I would be all over that if they put in a Hard mode or something.

The posturing will never do anything. She, only one person on the staff and is the producer, not the director, said maybe. That's not even a definite yes from one whole person.

I'd either get used to Sticker Star style, or not follow Paper Mario anymore. Paper Mario: Color Splash is basically detailing the future for PM, and I'm fine with it.

The posturing will never do anything. She, only one person on the staff and is the producer, not the director, said maybe. That's not even a definite yes from one whole person.

I'd either get used to Sticker Star style, or not follow Paper Mario anymore. Paper Mario: Color Splash is basically detailing the future for PM, and I'm fine with it.

Doesn't mean we can't try.

I mean I gave up on the DQVII localization petitions after a while and look what they got us (alongside a bunch of French people sending letters). It never hurts to give it a go!

It's not a guarantee to work, but it's worth trying.

Doesn't mean we can't try.

I mean I gave up on the DQVII localization petitions after a while and look what they got us (alongside a bunch of French people sending letters). It never hurts to give it a go!

It's not a guarantee to work, but it's worth trying.

Dragon Quest is a different scenario though, right? It was a remake? If so, they probably just localized it because why not since they were already remaking it.

I mean, if your pleas actually meant anything, Theatrhythm Dragon Quest would be coming out here. That would be requested by both Dragon Quest AND Theatrhythm Final Fantasy fans, and yet nothing.

Dragon Quest is a different scenario though, right? It was a remake? If so, they probably just localized it because why not since they were already remaking it.

I mean, if your pleas actually meant anything, Theatrhythm Dragon Quest would be coming out here. That would be requested by both Dragon Quest AND Theatrhythm Final Fantasy fans, and yet nothing.

They specifically stated while presenting Dragon Quest VII during the Treehouse stream that it wasn't going to be localized because the game's length wouldn't be worth the effort (to put this in perspective, a quick non-speedrun will take at least 80 hours. I personally took around... 120 I think just for the main story of the Playstation version. There is apparently enough script in game to fill a bookcase). It was only after getting all those letters asking for the remake and the petition that they decided to localize the game. Even though it is a remake (of a game that did make it overseas), the translation would have to be entirely new to meet with quality standards set by the PS2 version of DQVIII and the games released after it.

So yes, the pleas for Dragon Quest VII did mean something to SE. Now, I realize Nintendo and SE are different companies, but it is still worth a try.

Just my thoughts though.

They specifically stated while presenting Dragon Quest VII during the Treehouse stream that it wasn't going to be localized because the game's length wouldn't be worth the effort (to put this in perspective, a quick non-speedrun will take at least 80 hours. I personally took around... 120 I think just for the main story of the Playstation version. There is apparently enough script in game to fill a bookcase). It was only after getting all those letters asking for the remake and the petition that they decided to localize the game. Even though it is a remake (of a game that did make it overseas), the translation would have to be entirely new to meet with quality standards set by the PS2 version of DQVIII and the games released after it.So yes, the pleas for Dragon Quest VII did mean something to SE. Now, I realize Nintendo and SE are different companies, but it is still worth a try.Just my thoughts though.

Let's not forget Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story(and another game that I forget the name of right now)because both of those games weren't originally gonna be localized over here, but there were enough pleas and requests for it to be localized! (And we all know that Xenoblade Chronicles is a large enough of a game on it's own!) ;3

I don't understand why anyone would have a reason to complain about this game.
It's Intelligent System's game, they can do whatever they want and you should like it unless you're an obvious negative nancy and hater.
I mean, yeesh! Can everyone just not question them and let the developers do what they want? The game having the title "Paper Mario" should be enough for everyone to be satisfied.
If you don't like the story, dialogues and constant jokes about paper, remember they were always an optional part since you can skip them.

Don't like gameplay elements like "battles"? Tell you what, they can be skipped aswell to save paint and thus they are optional. Your complaint is invalid, wouldn't you say?
Sure, the gameplay is less complex and easier to pick up than before, but let's not forget that focusing on the casual audience and making everything literally look like paper

are the appeal now, and it lead to Sticker Star selling more copies than any other game in the series, essentially SAVING the franchise.

So really, there is no reason to be close-minded here.

P.S.: If anyone happens to find my sarcasm or similarities to other InSy franchises lying around, please feel free to keep it and have a laugh. ^^

Let's not forget Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story(and another game that I forget the name of right now)because both of those games weren't originally gonna be localized over here, but there were enough pleas and requests for it to be localized! (And we all know that Xenoblade Chronicles is a large enough of a game on it's own!) ;3

If we're going off of what Chris Pragner said and treating it as fact, NOA and NOE were basically playing the waiting game before one caved in so the other could swoop in and have the major work done for them.

Also, The Last Story was done by Xseed on their own, and Pandora's Tower isn't held with the highest regards.

The main complaints, Ragnar, are a lack of classic Paper Mario elements, like partners, more unique characters and locations, and more story. But Miyamoto has jumped in and forced IS to cut all this out saying "it's not Mario."

No, it's not what you see in main-stream Mario. BUT THIS ISN'T MAIN-STREAM MARIO. And it's not MEANT to be. It's a different sort of Mario-themed series. I still think the game looks good and fun though. A lack of these things doesn't automatically mean the game will be bad. But it DOES raise questions given how many people hate Sticker Star.

I'm really hoping I'll enjoy this though, because coloring in things and finding hidden Luigis, omg. <3

Edited by Anacybele

Holy fuck, this game is a steaming hot pile of garbage.

"Give it a chance", they said.

I guess my favorite video game series is dead. Or might as well be. I'd take a dead series over Color Splash. Just take the knife out instead of spinning it around to cause more pain.

The main complaints, Ragnar, are a lack of classic Paper Mario elements, like partners, more unique characters and locations, and more story. But Miyamoto has jumped in and forced IS to cut all this out saying "it's not Mario."

(The following will actually not be sarcastic)

You know, about that part about Miyamoto, I do not buy the saying that he is the reason of all this. In my eyes, Intelligent Systems lost their creative talent years ago.

Miyamoto is always in favour of focusing on gameplay instead of story and likely had his fair share of influence on designing the game, but he could not have been the key reason Sticker Star became what it was.

It's the same story as with Sakurai and the developement of Super Smash Bros.

He clarifies that he's the director and only what he says is going to happen, which is why people always blame/praise him for different aspects of the game, when in reality it's an entire team that's beind everything, every decision.

You know, about that part about Miyamoto, I do not buy the saying that he is the reason of all this. In my eyes, Intelligent Systems lost their creative talent years ago.

Miyamoto is always in favour of focusing on gameplay instead of story and likely had his fair share of influence on designing the game, but he could not have been the key reason Sticker Star became what it was.

Even then, the gameplay battle system isn't good at all. There is literally no reason to battle enemies in Paper Mario SS since there is no exp system and they only drop coins which you can find scattered everywhere. The coins then lets you buy more stickers but you can find an abundent of them already in the levels anyway so there was no point of buying them either. The bosses not to mention do tons of damage to you almost killing you immediately. The best method of beating them is find a sticker that destroys them in literally 2 or so hits. That's lazy gameplay design at its core. The sad part is, Morton as shown in the Treehouse live does the same exact thing. Kills you in 2 hit until you find the item that would one shot kill him immediately.

Old Paper Mario require you to plan, assess and modify your badges and movesets as much as possible to enable these kind of damage. So there are tons of strategies involve with that system and it was simple enough for even a beginner casual fan to learn. This one has none of that.

If the mention of focus on gameplay is this, I am at a loss for words for the Paper Mario team as a whole. It so sad to see this because whoever worked on the graphics and environments did a phenomenal job and it is wasted on a terrible gameplay design. There is no reward for this system to make the player satisfied for what they are doing.

Color Splash looks amazing. Whether you like it or not, you can definitely tell that Ms. Tabata is putting her heart into this game. From the Treehouse stream, you could really tell she was having fun. Even if you don't like Sticker Star or this game, they should at least be respected because they're being made with love.

Well it being made with love is exactly what I'm doubting. The current trends of Paper Mario don't seem to be based on the dev team wanting to do cool new experiments but rather a deliberate attempt to distance themselves from what Paper Mario is supposed to be. That design philosophy and ''Love'' are two things I don't really see mix.

I love Morton's dumb brute personality because it sets him apart from Roy, who has always been the smart brute.

To a certain extent I absolutely agree...but just not to THIS extend. Between the two brutes Morton being just a ''mere'' brute and Roy being more cunning is definitely the way to go but...at least give Morton some dignity in the personality department. There's a difference between a brute and a cavemen.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

He clarifies that he's the director and only what he says is going to happen, which is why people always blame/praise him for different aspects of the game, when in reality it's an entire team that's beind everything, every decision.

A Club Nintendo poll asked if people wanted a Paper Mario game in the style of Thousand Year Door or something else in a new direction. The majority said the latter. So there's the "deliberately distancing itself from older Paper Mario games" part out of the way.

...Except Miyamoto WAS the key reason? Sticker Star was originally supposed have partners and more story and whatnot, until Miyamoto said no to all of that because "it's not needed and it's not Mario."

Old Paper Mario require you to plan, assess and modify your badges and movesets as much as possible to enable these kind of damage. So there are tons of strategies involve with that system and it was simple enough for even a beginner casual fan to learn. This one has none of that.

This I disagree with though. I didn't think this system was simple or easy to learn. It took me awhile while playing TTYD to figure out exactly how it all worked. This was the only thing I didn't like about the game. I'm glad Sticker Star and Color Splash simplified it more. I do wish the exp and level-up system would stick around though.

Edited by Anacybele

Didn't IS say they were kinda scared of Miyamoto? He's such a legendary figure in the game industry that I don't really blame them, but he did tell them to make SS more different from TTYD.

I remember a comment when Color Splash was revealed from a Non-PM fan noticing that it seemed to be exactly what fans didn't want.

Also for my opinion on the games: TTYD had the best gameplay (It could be as simple or as deep as you want it to be) and the best setting/world in the series. It also had the amazing thing known as Chapter 3: Of Glitz and Glory. That was amazing.

I don't understand why anyone would have a reason to complain about this game.

It's Intelligent System's game, they can do whatever they want and you should like it unless you're an obvious negative nancy and hater.

I mean, yeesh! Can everyone just not question them and let the developers do what they want? The game having the title "Paper Mario" should be enough for everyone to be satisfied.

If you don't like the story, dialogues and constant jokes about paper, remember they were always an optional part since you can skip them.

Don't like gameplay elements like "battles"? Tell you what, they can be skipped aswell to save paint and thus they are optional. Your complaint is invalid, wouldn't you say?

Sure, the gameplay is less complex and easier to pick up than before, but let's not forget that focusing on the casual audience and making everything literally look like paper

are the appeal now, and it lead to Sticker Star selling more copies than any other game in the series, essentially SAVING the franchise.

So really, there is no reason to be close-minded here.

P.S.: If anyone happens to find my sarcasm or similarities to other InSy franchises lying around, please feel free to keep it and have a laugh. ^^

God, do you have to be so ridiculously heavyhanded? We get it. You hate Fire Emblem. Paper Mario has absolutely nothing to do with Fire Emblem.

It's sarcasm, but your complaints are still ridiculous. Even among people who do not like this game, they still praise the graphics and aesthetics. The game isn't even "casualised" when Sticker Star was accidentally harder than the older Paper Mario games anyway.

And as someone who is a casual, I absolutely do not appreciate your suggestions that being casual should ever have negative connotations. I'll enjoy my Sticker Stars and Fates and Animal Crossings and Pokemon, and you can like whatever it is that "hardcore gamers" like.

why do i feel like i just took bait