What is more important to you, stats or personality?

What is more important?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Stats or personality?

I prefer using characters whose personality I like. Even if they only have a few lines of dialogue. I've never really cared about optimal stats. So if I can avoid using a good unit with a personality I don't like, then I will. For example, I don't like Soren. I don't care if he is the best mage or not. I may use him temporarily, but as soon as I get Ilyana, he is benched.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if only the modern FE games had characters with cool personalities...not just pure fanservice (like Camilla), walking tropes (Oboro the fashion girl) or a mix of both (Charlotte). Still, I haven't played fates yet so I can't fully say the characters are trash. Now awakening on the other hand...*fumes with rage*

​Ok I'm kinda stretching the truth a little implying that all of awakening's characters are bad. I guess Lucina and Robin are ok...at best. I just prefer the older ones more.

Edited by Dinar87

If i'm doing my plain runs of "I'm using whomever" tends to be by personality and "who I haven't used yet"

If i'm doing something like a LTC run, its by stats.

stats

I hate FE9 Ilyana but I use her even till the end because of Mia support.

I hate Camilla but I have to use her.

I hate Tharja but I use her till the marriage. After getting Norne I kill her off.

I hate all of the characters you mentioned. I also hate Severa with a burning passion,

Stats, I have a much easier time sympathizing with characters who do well in my playthroughs, unless their personality actually makes me cringe.

I tend to like most FE characters since I like to find good in them, so I like to go by which is better (E.g. I use Dean in Thracia since he is obviously statistically better then Eda) but sometimes I just use units because I have bias towards them (E.g. I use Bastian a lot in PoR and RD due to my own bias, even though other mages are normally better since he comes very late compared them ).

So yeah.

Edited by Azz

Now if only the modern FE games had characters with cool personalities...not just pure fanservice (like Camilla), walking tropes (Oboro the fashion girl) or a mix of both (Charlotte). Still, I haven't played fates yet so I can't fully say all the characters are trash. Now awakening on the other hand...*fumes with rage*

​Ok I'm kinda stretching the truth a little implying that all of awakening's characters are bad. I guess Lucina and Robin are ok...at best. I just prefer the older ones more.

Yeah, I don't get what you are saying about Oboro? Personally, I like both Oboro and Charlotte a lot. Charlotte caught me a bit off guard, her design is a bit over-the-top. But she's dressed like that for a reason. And her reasons for doing so are a bit sweet, but a bit deceptive. So I can kind of see why people wouldn't like her. Camilla on the other hand... I think she's ok, especially when state is not talking about Corrin. Unfortunately, 80% of her dialogue is about her talking about Corrin... the game does pull a few "Haha. It's funny because she has big boobs!" moments and I freaking hate them.

As far as Awakening characters go, there's some I really like. Gregor, Mirabelle, and Gaius (specifically in his supports). But I understand having a preference for characters in older games.

If i'm doing my plain runs of "I'm using whomever" tends to be by personality and "who I haven't used yet"

If i'm doing something like a LTC run, its by stats.

I do try to use someone new each time as well. Give them a chance at least.

LTCs are a different story. LTCs require optimal play

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Yeah, I don't get what you are saying about Oboro? Personally, I like both Oboro and Charlotte a lot. Charlotte caught me a bit off guard, her design is a bit over-the-top. But she's dressed like that for a reason. And her reasons for doing so are a bit sweet, but a bit deceptive. So I can kind of see why people wouldn't like her. Camilla on the other hand... I think she's ok, especially when state is not talking about Corrin. Unfortunately, 80% of her dialogue is about her talking about Corrin... the game does pull a few "Haha. It's funny because she has big boobs!" moments and I freaking hate them.

As far as Awakening characters go, there's some I really like. Gregor, Mirabelle, and Gaius (specifically in his supports).

I do try to use someone new each time as well. Give them a chance at least.

LTCs are a different story. LTCs require optimal play

As I said, I haven't played fates yet so I could be pleasantly surprised by the characters. I'm just saying what I know about them.

Stats.

To me, there is a difference between judging someone as a unit and a character. For units I don't care if he/she is cruel, heartless, embarrassing, stupid, childish etc, as long and they do work in the battlefield and help me progress through the game, they can redeem themselves.

Stats, I have a much easier time sympathizing with characters who do well in my playthroughs, unless their personality actually makes me cringe.

That..... makes a lot of sense actually.

I use Wolt and Erk over Shin/Pent on a regular basis.

Personality it is!

That said, I also have massive bias toward magic classes and archers, so class does have influence.

Neither. I judge characters based on how aesthetically appealing they are.

Color palettes are extremely important to me, and some characters like Erk or Florina or Tristan have really bland or unappealing designs. Erk's red-on-purple is especially an eyesore.

I would say personality next, but considering no one had any personality in FE1-3, that's not really a problem there. FE4 had some cool personalities, but there's no penalty to using nearly everyone. FE5 had low stat caps and entirely nonexistant personalities, so design is super important. The GBA games have a terrible support system so design is ultra important there. I use characters like Wendy solely because I like the way they look. 9 and 10 have visible personalities, but most people are really boring. Awakening and Fates were the first games since Genealogy that I felt that personality mattered, as the characters were often extremely well written like Maribelle, Gaius, Oboro, Orochi, or Takumi.

Stats on a first playthrough, and after that, personality / looks. I use Gordin because I like him for some reason, not because he's actually really good. Then there are some like Maribelle that are shaky but I always use them because I like them.

Now if only the modern FE games had characters with cool personalities...not just pure fanservice (like Camilla), walking tropes (Oboro the fashion girl) or a mix of both (Charlotte). Still, I haven't played fates yet so I can't fully say the characters are trash. Now awakening on the other hand...*fumes with rage*

It's kinda funny that you called Oboro of all people, a walking trope. She's probably one of Fates's least tropey characters. Though in my opinion, there aren't many tropey characters in Fates.

I use Wolt and Erk over Shin/Pent on a regular basis.Personality it is!That said, I also have massive bias toward magic classes and archers, so class does have influence.

What about Sophia?

Joking aside, it depends for me. I usually use characters based on their personalities, but there are some characters that are simply unusuable, like Wendy and Sophia.

Edited by Water Mage

It's kinda funny that you called Oboro of all people, a walking trope. She's probably one of Fates's least tropey characters. Though in my opinion, there aren't many tropey characters in Fates.

What about Sophia?

Joking aside, it depends for me. I usually use characters based on their personalities, but there are some characters that are simply unusuable, like Wendy and Sophia.

Well from what I saw in the battles she just spewed fashion puns and it was pretty annoying. I also saw a JacobxOboro support were she gave him the "stink eye"...needless to say, it was pretty cringeworthy. I just hope you're right about these characters because I don't want another awakening with characters like Ricken and Kellam who felt pretty tropey. If fates disappoints me then I'll probably just make my own FE game with characters like in 4, 5, 9 and 10.

Neither. I judge characters based on how aesthetically appealing they are.

Color palettes are extremely important to me, and some characters like Erk or Florina or Tristan have really bland or unappealing designs. Erk's red-on-purple is especially an eyesore.

I would say personality next, but considering no one had any personality in FE1-3, that's not really a problem there. FE4 had some cool personalities, but there's no penalty to using nearly everyone. FE5 had low stat caps and entirely nonexistant personalities, so design is super important. The GBA games have a terrible support system so design is ultra important there. I use characters like Wendy solely because I like the way they look. 9 and 10 have visible personalities, but most people are really boring. Awakening and Fates were the first games since Genealogy that I felt that personality mattered, as the characters were often extremely well written like Maribelle, Gaius, Oboro, Orochi, or Takumi.

I don't agree with everything you said, but I can kinda understand color palettes and looks.

Yeah, I questioned that as well. She is probably one of the worst examples he could have used. But to be fair, he did say he has not played the game and it's only going by with what he heard

Well from what I saw in the battles she just spewed fashion puns and it was pretty annoying. I also saw a JacobxOboro support were she gave him the "stink eye"...needless to say, it was pretty cringeworthy. I just hope you're right about these characters because I don't want another awakening with characters like Ricken and Kellam who felt pretty tropey. If fates disappoints me then I'll probably just make my own FE game with characters like in 4, 5, 9 and 10.

Oboro has a thing about fashion but I think it would only be tropey if that's the only thing she offers and its not. Oboro also has her past, her dislike for Nohrians (while also being pretty rational about it), her crush and friendship with Takumi and the implication she works hard on fashion to drive off unpleasant memory.

I think Arthur would make a much better example for you even if I think his particular trope reeks of pure awesome.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I don't agree with everything you said, but I can kinda understand color palettes and looks.Yeah, I questioned that as well. She is probably one of the worst examples he could have used. But to be fair, he did say he has not played the game and it's only going by with what he heard

Haha I guess I fucked up by saying Oboro then :P

What about Sophia?

I used her... once...

All I can say on the matter is I'm never doing that again!

Oboro has a thing about fashion but I think it would only be tropey if that's the only thing she offers and its not. Oboro also has her past, her dislike for Nohrians (while also being pretty rational about it), her crush and friendship with Takumi and the implication she works hard on fashion to drive off unpleasant memory.

I think Arthur would make a much better example for you even if I think his particular trope reeks of pure awesome.

Can't characters be made up of multiple tropes? Idk...any ways, I just hope you guys are right about characters like Oboro. What about the child characters...are they any good?

Also, hoping that not all supports are comedic this time. Hoping for more backstory!

Edited by Dinar87

I prefer personality by far, and that's why I hate when some characters are completely unusable. Most FE games aren't bad in this regard: you just have to buff someone with the right weapon or item and they are good.