Nintendo is now worth more than Sony

Harvey

This brings a tear to my eye. I remember all the kids who bought the PSP and bullied me for having the DS. I mean they probably don't give a fuck now, but still.

Why bully over something like that? Seems silly. But hey who won that battle there?

I'm happy to hear this, especially since Nintendo's economic situation wasn't really fantastic

Yeah they weren't doing great but surprisingly as bad as the Wii U did/is doing they still usually manage to turn a profit it may not be as much as they predict but typically Nintendo usually knows how to actually make money on their hardware. Undoubtedly though I think this mobile stuff will help Nintendo wildly especially how prevalent mobile stuff is in Japan.

I know what microsoft sells and I know that they are far richer than these two. But what I quoted bold was that he claims that Microsoft is doing fine as a game manufacturer which he is wrong. Xbox ONE can't even make a dent in Japan and again, its not just a gaming system. Microsoft can make easy money through just Windows and gadgets no doubt there. What Microsoft is king at is in the PC Market without a doubt the same way as how Nintendo is the king in handheld gaming.

They are actually pretty dumb to release two brand new consoles which one is releasing this year and the other one is coming next year. Its like SEGA deja vu here where they flushed out a lot of budget and got so little profit except that in Microsoft's case, that loss is more of a joke than it being more of a serious issue.

Microsoft is doing fine. I didn't say the Xbox One was performing well, I said Microsoft is the only one in a solid position - and it's true. Nintendo's market value went from 85b down to 18b and back up to 40b all in the last 10 years based on whether or not their consoles or a game franchise was doing well at the time, and it's a similar story for Sony. That doesn't happen with Microsoft, their position in the industry isn't dictated by whether or not they're the flavor of the month, and they'll always be a fixture of PC gaming. Microsoft's biggest losses are from their failing windows phone line; that's a much more competitive market than gaming is. The only way Microsoft could take a hit like that would be if something happened to Windows.

What happens if Go turns out to be a summer hit and nothing more? What happens if the NX flops? What happens if the PS4 stops selling, or VR is a flop? Sony and Nintendo would see huge losses relative to their current market value because that's the position they're in with shareholders. It's not a matter of being a pessimist or being negative, it's about understanding the numbers and what they represent.

So once again their stocks are now lower than Sony's.......

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/the-bubble-bursts-nintendo-stock-crashes-below-sony-again/

meh, it was fun while it lasted and still though, Nintendo atleast maintains their employees well unlike Sony. idk.

Sony has 125,000 employees, Nintendo has 6,000. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "maintains their employees well", but one is obviously going to be letting more people go than the other lol.

Edited by Tangerine

Microsoft is doing fine. I didn't say the Xbox One was performing well, I said Microsoft is the only one in a solid position - and it's true. Nintendo's market value went from 85b down to 18b and back up to 40b all in the last 10 years based on whether or not their consoles or a game franchise was doing well at the time, and it's a similar story for Sony. That doesn't happen with Microsoft, their position in the industry isn't dictated by whether or not they're the flavor of the month, and they'll always be a fixture of PC gaming. Microsoft's biggest losses are from their failing windows phone line; that's a much more competitive market than gaming is. The only way Microsoft could take a hit like that would be if something happened to Windows.

What happens if Go turns out to be a summer hit and nothing more? What happens if the NX flops? What happens if the PS4 stops selling, or VR is a flop? Sony and Nintendo would see huge losses relative to their current market value because that's the position they're in with shareholders. It's not a matter of being a pessimist or being negative, it's about understanding the numbers and what they represent.

Losses will always happen no matter what happens. Except the problem is that Microsoft's losses are a joke since even if Android is the dominating OS out there, the fact that Windows is best suited for gaming just proves that they don't need to so so much in the PC market. Same goes for Nintendo and Sony. Those two may have losses here and there but they atleast experiment more unlike Microsoft who always plays things safe majority of the times.

Numbers don't mean anything here. They just simply explain the situation the companies are dealing with. So yes, it is a matter of being negative here when you say that both Nintendo and Sony are doing bad when in reality, the former is in a better position than Sony in a LOT of ways.

Losses will always happen no matter what happens. Except the problem is that Microsoft's losses are a joke since even if Android is the dominating OS out there, the fact that Windows is best suited for gaming just proves that they don't need to so so much in the PC market. Same goes for Nintendo and Sony. Those two may have losses here and there but they atleast experiment more unlike Microsoft who always plays things safe majority of the times.

Numbers don't mean anything here. They just simply explain the situation the companies are dealing with. So yes, it is a matter of being negative here when you say that both Nintendo and Sony are doing bad when in reality, the former is in a better position than Sony in a LOT of ways.

Microsoft doesn't necessarily play it safe. They just know what works and understand their market a hell of a lot better than the other two.

And I agree with Raven on this: how? Nintendo is pretty much nothing but video game merchandise and it's doing worse than a company that has other outlets.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-25/nintendo-set-to-plunge-after-saying-pokemon-go-s-impact-limited

And now it's plummeting faster than it has in nearly 30 years. That's why sudden spikes like this aren't terribly newsworthy, all it takes is one negative occurrence for it all to go away.

Does go to show how uninformed traders can be either way, especially when it comes to the videogame industry lol.

Edited by Tangerine

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-25/nintendo-set-to-plunge-after-saying-pokemon-go-s-impact-limited

And now it's plummeting faster than it has in nearly 30 years. That's why sudden spikes like this aren't terribly newsworthy, all it takes is one negative occurrence for it all to go away.

Does go to show how uninformed traders can be either way, especially when it comes to the videogame industry lol.

not to mention most of the investors are pretty dumb with how the video game industry works or just don't even care about. The executive meeting with the shareholders ask the most stupidest questions it hurts. I think the only one legitimate question that came from the meetings was a guy asking about the brexit incident and how it affects the Nintendo UK department.