Rio Olympics 2016: 248 million adenoviruses per litre

Parrhesia

i realised there was no olympics thread

NOW THERE IS. GET HYPED.

Where can I get cool Olympic coverage, Parrhesia? Depends on your nation. If you're Australian, it looks like Channel 7 has the rights and a fair stab at an online streaming service. No matter your nation, the Guardian is rolling out cool rolling coverage 24/7 pulling out their full stable of UK, US and Australian pundits.

NOTABLE THINGS I'M AWARE OF

Pele was not Brazil's flagbearer because he's fucking dying, again

Rio was a really bad place to host the Olympics

I think Australia is winning on medals but there's only been like a day of medals

Some guy broke his leg memetically badly

The USA fucking annihilated China in basketball

World records were set in swimming by a Hungarian and by an Australian team beating their own record

the australian fashion is fucking dreadful and looks like medicare cards

Venus Williams is already out of the tennis?

enjoy yourselves

I guess it's the very first time I really don't care for Olympics mainly because of this

The booing while the speech of the Brazilian President says everything.

Edit: also timezone issue

Most interesting events for me like basketball will take place at night.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

I guess it's the very first time I really don't care for Olympics mainly because of this

Same here. Hearing the news about how bad Rio is in terms of pollution, crime, and poverty just makes this Olympics feel kind of unappealing. Not to mention the Zika virus and all.

I'll follow the handball tournament but probably nothing else; in fact, I'm watching Germany-Sweden right now (it's halftime). I used to play until time got too short a few years ago, but it's still my favourite sport to watch. The olympic tournament is actually pretty interesting for me as an experienced watcher because it's the first official competition with a few important rule changes in place. Not everyone is happy about them, but I'm really excited to see how they change the game.

But the first thing I see is a really promising young Swedish player twisting his ankle and not returning to the game until now... :(

Honestly, even with the terrible hosting location, I'm lowkey getting caught up in the spirit of these Olympics, checking in with articles and watching a couple hours a day. Australia's off to a strong start, it looks like! Field hockey aside. We got properly kicky-taka'd by Spain.

Damn right he is, we even made a stamp of him and his smug buck-teeth celebrating his and our victory.

And by now everyone's hit onto the factoid going around that Michael Phelps is, by now, the equal-32nd most successful country in the world, right?

Furthermore, this tweet.

i realised there was no olympics thread

NOW THERE IS. GET HYPED.

Where can I get cool Olympic coverage, Parrhesia? Depends on your nation. If you're Australian, it looks like Channel 7 has the rights and a fair stab at an online streaming service. No matter your nation, the Guardian is rolling out cool rolling coverage 24/7 pulling out their full stable of UK, US and Australian pundits.

NOTABLE THINGS I'M AWARE OF

Pele was not Brazil's flagbearer because he's fucking dying, again

I think Australia is winning on medals but there's only been like a day of medals

Some guy broke his leg memetically badly

The USA fucking annihilated China in basketball

World records were set in swimming by a Hungarian and by an Australian team beating their own record

the australian fashion is fucking dreadful and looks like medicare cards

Venus Williams is already out of the tennis?

enjoy yourselves

Meanwhile, we're getting terrible coverage from NBC here, such as Tape delaying events constantly (including tape delaying the Opening Ceremony by an hour despite the fact that they easily could have aired it live) and spoiling them before they air, having to have a pay-tv subscription to watch streaming events live, incredibly annoying ad breaks, and to top it off, delusional (and even sexist) remarks from the head NBC executive stating why they don't do coverage like the rest of the world and instead have commercial breaks as long as the actual events that they air.

On a side note, enjoyed finally seeing Rugby back at the Olympics!

Israel is only good at one thing: Judo.

But damn, we are really good at it. Yarden Garbi took bronze in her weight class and Or Sasson is looking for a medal.

Plus, it always helps when Arab nations would ratger forfeit than face your team. But if you don't forfeit, at least shake the guy's hand. I'm looking at you, Egypt.

Edited by Right Wing Nut Job

We did quite an amazing job on the opening ceremony. Way more remarkable than 2012 at least.

Also as much as Rio IS in facy a problematic city, I would say it is doing a solid job as a host.

Olympics are fucking hard to host, if we look at previous editions. Too much money invested with fuck-all return.

As a man from the land, this is probably more relevant to me but Monica Puig just won against Angelique Kerber in Tennis and secured the first gold medal in Puerto Rico's history in the Olympics. Pretty sweet day to be alive after so long.