Fates and New Voice Actors

quasimopho13

It seems that Fates had a lot of voice actors that are relatively new to the scene (although it may be that I'm just not as familiar with them).

Angela Marie Volpe (Ophelia/Velouria) seems to have Fates as her main role on behind the voice actors.

I'm getting the vibe that Fates (being a popular game) opened the doors for a lot of new and great actors, and I'm really hoping to see more of these actors in the future.

It was really exciting getting to here actors that I wasn't familiar with before the game.

What are your thoughts everyone?

Edited by quasimopho13

I'm glad Fates has a lot of voices I'm not familiar with. I know the dub had a mixed reception, but I found it very refreshing to listen to. It has some of my favorite English VAs and I found a few new voices I got very fond of. For example, the actors voicing Takumi/Hisame/Niles, Sakura/Charlotte and Leo/Forrest/Kaden were a joy to listen to. I hope I get to hear more of their works in future. (I don't know if it's a shame so many, if not all, of the actors did several roles for the game, but some of them have very impressive ranges. It really makes me appreciate the work they do.)

I think Awakening's dub had a few new voice actors, too. I recall having similar feelings about it.

Edited by Carnation

I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but isn't the voice acting industry in dire need of new blood? I swear Yuri Lowenthal voices half of the "everyday Japanese teenager" in dubs.

If Fire Emblem can help people into the industry, then that's amazing.

I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but isn't the voice acting industry in dire need of new blood? I swear Yuri Lowenthal voices half of the "everyday Japanese teenager" in dubs.

If Fire Emblem can help people into the industry, then that's amazing.

And Troy Baker does the other half.

Jokes aside, I like most of the new voice actors they got for Fates and I wish to hear them again in other games (the voice actresses for Ophelia/Velouria and Sakura/Charlotte as well as Elise come to mind as immediate favourites of mine).

I really liked what Brianna Knickerbocker and Angela Marie Volpe brought to their characters.

I can see them going far in their VA careers and if there is one thing I can praise about Nintendo Treehouse's choices is that they are giving new talent to the industry.

Seriously, I was getting tired of Yuri Lowenthal and Troy Baker. No offense to them or their performances but I need some new VAs. I can't hear Crispin Freeman, like, ever so I need some other VAs to fill the gaping hole.

In particular, I'm digging the dude that does Leo's voice.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I really liked what Brianna Knickerbocker and Angela Marie Volpe brought to their characters.

I can see them going far in their VA careers and if there is one thing I can praise about Nintendo Treehouse's choices is that they are giving new talent to the industry.

Brianna Knickerbocker in particular. Sakura and Charlotte sound very... er... you know what? I'll stop right there, before it starts to sound creepy.

Seriously, I was getting tired of Yuri Lowenthal and Troy Baker. No offense to them or their performances but I need some new VAs. I can't hear Crispin Freeman, like, ever so I need some other VAs to fill the gaping hole.

In particular, I'm digging the dude that does Leo's voice.

I think Max Mittelman was his name. And yes, he does amazing as Leo.

I only heard Yuri Lowenthal in Naruto and Tales of the Abyss before, so I am not that tired of his voice, but I see your point.

I think Max Mittelman was his name. And yes, he does amazing as Leo.

I only heard Yuri Lowenthal in Naruto and Tales of the Abyss before, so I am not that tired of his voice, but I see your point.

I kid you not, of all the games I own, Yuri Lowenthal is in about a third of them.

Off the top of my head,

[spoiler=Yuri Lowenthal Invades My Game Collection]Dynasty Warriors 5, 7 and 8

Xenosaga 3

Persona 4

Persona 3 FES

Naruto Ultimate Ninja 1, 2 and 3

Warriors Orochi

Rogue Galaxy

SSX 3

Catherine

Dissdia Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2

Radiata Stories

SMT Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2

Suikoden 5

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Yuri Lowenthal Invades My Game Collection

Persona 4

Let's be honest though, that performance is amazing and breathes so much life into the character. I freakin' love Yosuke, even though the archetype is quite common.

So he's in a sixth of the games you own?

I should have worded that better. Of all the games I own, he is in a third of them. But I will admit that I was exaggerating to an extent lol

Let's be honest though, that performance is amazing and breathes so much life into the character. I freakin' love Yosuke, even though the archetype is quite common.

Hm...

I like Vic Mignogna and Junpei better.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I'm glad Fates has a lot of voices I'm not familiar with. I know the dub had a mixed reception, but I found it very refreshing to listen to. It has some of my favorite English VAs and I found a few new voices I got very fond of. For example, the actors voicing Takumi/Hisame/Niles, Sakura/Charlotte and Leo/Forrest/Kaden were a joy to listen to. I hope I get to hear more of their works in future. (I don't know if it's a shame so many, if not all, of the actors did several roles for the game, but some of them have very impressive ranges. It really makes me appreciate the work they do.)

I think Awakening's dub had a few new voice actors, too. I recall having similar feelings about it.

I couldn't agree more. Fates had an excellent mix of old and new voice actors. Everyone in this thread makes a good point. The new voice actors really got to show off their cords! Given how big of a game Fates was, this may be very good for the new actor's careers

Can Anthony del rio still be called new? He seems around long enough to have voiced Kratos but Pit was his first major role. After uprising I always wanted to hear more of him so I was happy to see him doing two roles in Fates.

I don't recall hearing Takumi before.

Takumi's voice actor Roger Rose has been around since at least the 90s it seems. Apparently, he played the goatee guard in Avatar the Last Airbender Season 3, episodes 55 and 56. That plus Takumi gives a great example of what he can do as the guard sounds gruff/manly, whereas Takumi sounds more like a teenager.

Edited by quasimopho13

That's why, even though I don't think the overall voice acting is as good as Awakening, I'm happy for the route they took.

They involved a lot of new actors and nontraditional ones too. There are so many people out there who say they're constantly tired of the Bryce Papenbrooks and Laura Baileys of the world...yet lay heavy criticism when new actors are brought aboard and plead for the old ones to come back. In a way, it seems a lot of people have little patience when it comes to voice acting. Always quick to judge.

Brianna Knickerbocker in particular I want to hear in more games. I think she's one of my favorites out of Fates' cast, even doing better than other more established ones.

Edited by Sentinel07

Max Mittelman is growing to already have some good roles so far. He's even Saitama now.

Ben Diskin is one I heard a while ago but I liked the roles he did in Fates. He isn't new though - he was in KND when I first heard him.

This is an opinion I can agree with. mmm

Max Mittelman is growing to already have some good roles so far. He's even Saitama now.

Ben Diskin is one I heard a while ago but I liked the roles he did in Fates. He isn't new though - he was in KND when I first heard him.

This is an opinion I can agree with. mmm

Ben Diskin started out on Hey Arnold I think. I know he voiced Eugene there.

Ben Diskin started out on Hey Arnold I think. I know he voiced Eugene there.

I first heard him in The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel as Jusis. He did a pretty amazing job there, if I'm being honest. I didn't recognize him in Fates, though. Which character did he voice?

Also a little bit of confusion on my part: The voice of Nyx sounds exactly like Cassandra Morris (i.e. like Edea Lee (Bravely Default and Second) and Sophie (Tales of Graces), but I can't find her name in the credits. Strange.

Also a little bit of confusion on my part: The voice of Nyx sounds exactly like Cassandra Morris (i.e. like Edea Lee (Bravely Default and Second) and Sophie (Tales of Graces), but I can't find her name in the credits. Strange.

Morris isn't in this game! According to BTVA's list, Nyx and Soleil are voiced by Amber Hood. I believe the list is pretty accurate now, although it used to have a lot of mistakes.

I first heard him in The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel as Jusis. He did a pretty amazing job there, if I'm being honest. I didn't recognize him in Fates, though. Which character did he voice?

He voices Jakob, Saizo and Hayato.

I made the same mistake with Nyx. She sounds almost identical to Cassandra Morris. It can be hard to tell the difference between voice actors sometimes. I'm just now learning to differentiate Matthew Mercer and Troy Baker. Luckily, for the latter two, they each voiced Tatsumi Kanji in the Persona 4 Anime for roughly half the episodes each. That gives a nice side-by-side comparison because it's the same character in the same show. The next best you could get would be them reciting the exact same lines.

Though, admittedly, I'm not learning the difference from watching each voice actor's performance of Tatsumi Kanji.

I made the same mistake with Nyx. She sounds almost identical to Cassandra Morris. It can be hard to tell the difference between voice actors sometimes. I'm just now learning to differentiate Matthew Mercer and Troy Baker. Luckily, for the latter two, they each voiced Tatsumi Kanji in the Persona 4 Anime for roughly half the episodes each. That gives a nice side-by-side comparison because it's the same character in the same show. The next best you could get would be them reciting the exact same lines.

Though, admittedly, I'm not learning the difference from watching each voice actor's performance of Tatsumi Kanji.

Oh that happened to me as well. When I played Tales of Xillia and Alvin came along, I could have sworn he was voiced by Troy Baker, since the character and tone of voice felt very similar to that of Snow from Final Fantasy XIII. I only found out that it was Chrom Matthew Mercer later.

Morris isn't in this game! According to BTVA's list, Nyx and Soleil are voiced by Amber Hood. I believe the list is pretty accurate now, although it used to have a lot of mistakes.

Huh, I could've sworn it was her. Then again, I didn't recognize Matthew Mercer voicing Azama and Shigure at first, so who am I to judge who's who? Thanks for clearing that up for me.

He voices Jakob, Saizo and Hayato.

Wow, I wouldn't have thought that at all. Neither of these characters sound remotely similar and none of them sound like Jusis at all. The man has got some amazing talent.

Edited by DragonFlames