Sun and Moon Competitive Discussion

ZoesMad

Turtonator actually seems to be well designed at first glance? Fire Dragon typing tanks typically Special types (Grass, Electric, Fairy, loses Water/Ice weakness). Rock and ground are dominantly physical, while Dragon is probably split pretty evenly. So to hit it super effectively you'll likely be using a physical move, which synergizes with Shell Trap. Hopefully Shell Trap had a high damage modifier of some sort. It also punishes U-turn spam both by resisting it and Shell Trap.

It's also worth noting that as a Fire type, it can probably learn Will-o-Wisp, protecting Turtonator from physical attacks. And it's ability protects it from critical hits.

It also resist both U-turn and Volt Switch.

Turtonator has incredible tanking potential, and will be a bitch to take down, if it has the right stats.

Could it outclass Heatran as a Fire type tank?

Edited by Water Mage

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, Heatran has Stealth Rock neutrality/setting the hazards, Flash Fire, and the Steel sub typing going for it (and probably a higher BST overall?). I can definitely see it having better special defense too, but maybe Turtonator will surprise me (also possible it gets Stealth Rocks too).

It's probably too early to see how they compete head to head.

I don't know, Heatran has Stealth Rock neutrality/setting the hazards, Flash Fire, and the Steel sub typing going for it (and probably a higher BST overall?). I can definitely see it having better special defense too, but maybe Turtonator will surprise me (also possible it gets Stealth Rocks too).

It's probably too early to see how they compete head to head.

Oh yeah, forgot about Stealth Rock. I guess it really depends on it's stats.

That being said, the setup alone is very good and Turntonator has almost perfect type coverage too. Fire/Dragon is an incredible combination that is resisted only by Water/Fairy I think, which interesting because Water/Fairy is another amazing typying and is a combination that has almost perfect type coverage.

I could be wrong.

And it's also worth noting that Turtonator can probably learning Explosion, due to it's bio.

Best thing about Turtonator right now is that its the closest we get to a pokemon who can become Defensive Mega Zard X, although its definitely straight outclassed by Heatran because Fire Steel as a typing is too good

Best thing about Turtonator right now is that its the closest we get to a pokemon who can become Defensive Mega Zard X, although its definitely straight outclassed by Heatran because Fire Steel as a typing is too good

But doesn't Heatran have a 4x weakness to Ground? And it's still weak to Water and Fighting, both very common types.

I'm not saying Heatran is bad, far from it, it's an amazing tank. It also takes neutral damage from Stealh Rock.

Now that I think about, I think Turtonator might end up as a UU tank.

But doesn't Heatran have a 4x weakness to Ground? And it's still weak to Water and Fighting, both very common types.

I'm not saying Heatran is bad, far from it, it's an amazing tank. It also takes neutral damage from Stealh Rock.

Now that I think about, I think Turtonator might end up as a UU tank.

Weakness isn't as important as Resistance. A mon who have resistance to the move can pretty much check it all day long. Lacking weakness means you take Neutral damage from almost everything which means you might as well be weak to everything

Like yeah Heatran is weak to 2 broken typing, but in return it have the most 4x resistance, and tons of 2x resistance, and 2 immunity

Dark is probably the only weakness in this game that have real crippling effect to the mon tbh

Edited by JSND

And the newest mom Crabrawler seems... OK? I don't know mono fighting with pretty basic abilities (Hyper Cutter/Iron Fist) seems bland to me. Maybe it'll give Sawk, Throh, and Hitmonchan some competition in the lower tiers. Probably a one stage by design.

Edited by Lord Gaius

Really depends on movepool update really. Iron Fist is weird in that its one of few overpowered ability that GF actually keep in check

Not really seeing it to be any crazy good unless its a super fast Glass Cannon or something

Edited by JSND

Palossand isn't looking too good. Water Compaction's +2 Defense boost is good, but it still take super effective damage from Water moves, and most Water moves are special, so it won't help immediately in most cases. It's very heavy, so Grass Knot, while not common, is something to be afraid of, and it's weak to the extremely common Knock Off and Sucker Punch. Typing isn't necessarily everything, but the odds are stacked against it, and having a kinda useless ability doesn't help. Hopefully it gets Arena Trap as a hidden ability and some really good bulk and recovery, or maybe Perish Song. It's entry on the site says how Palossand can recover itself naturally unlike Sandygast, so maybe it gets Recover.

They should have just made it Storm Drain that boosts Defense instead, what's the point of your weak to the type your ability wants you to switch in on. Still like the design though. If it gets Arena Trap it'll be at least sort of useful as a niche Steel trapper that's probably stronger than Dugtrio.

Well, at least it still has immunity to 3 very common types, that helps right?

And there are plenty of good Pokemon with bad abilities or abilities it can't use, such as Infernape, Weavile and Mamoswine.

Well, Mamoswine has Thick Fat, but it's a recent thing, and Mamoswine has always been a high tier Pokemon, even before Thick Fat.

Edited by Water Mage

• 2 months later...
Golisopod @ Choice Band

Ability: Emergency Exit

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 24 Def / 228 SpD

Careful Nature

- First Impression

- Liquidation

- Aqua Jet

- Leech Life

Toxapex @ Black Sludge

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 16 SpA / 120 SpD

Modest Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Rain Dance

- Toxic Spikes

- Venoshock

- Scald

Galvantula @ Focus Sash

Ability: Compound Eyes

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Volt Switch

- Sticky Web

- Bug Buzz

- Thunder

Azumarill @ Choice Band

Ability: Huge Power

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Aqua Jet

- Play Rough

- Waterfall

- Superpower

Kingdra @ Adrenaline Orb

Ability: Swift Swim

EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe

Timid Nature

- Rain Dance

- Dragon Pulse

- Waterfall

- Ice Beam

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers

Ability: Misty Surge

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Bold Nature

- Calm Mind

- Scald

- Rain Dance

- Moonblast

Can I get some tips? I don't really want it to be the best, I just want a viable rain team.

If you want a viable rain team, you need Pelipper.

Yeah I just realized.

Edited version here. It's mosty built around forcing as much switches as possible.

Golisopod @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 24 Def / 228 SpD
Careful Nature
- First Impression
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet/Brick Break
- Leech Life
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Toxic/Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Venoshock
- Recover/Scald
Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder Wave
Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower
Pelipper @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Toxic
- Defog
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Reflect
OR
Edited by UNLEASH IT

Couple of ideas here:

Don't bother with manual rain dance moves. That's why you have Pelipper. Speaking of which, why are you going for a Choice Scarf set when it's already so slow. It won't help. Instead of Rain Dance on Toxapex, use Recover for extra bulk. It'll serve you so much better. Also, why modest when it's Special Attack isn't even 60? Try to go Bold for extra defense.

There's also no point to running Scald on Tapu Fini because you can't get burns while Misty Terrain is out.

Couple of ideas here:

Don't bother with manual rain dance moves. That's why you have Pelipper. Speaking of which, why are you going for a Choice Scarf set when it's already so slow. It won't help. Instead of Rain Dance on Toxapex, use Recover for extra bulk. It'll serve you so much better. Also, why modest when it's Special Attack isn't even 60? Try to go Bold for extra defense.

There's also no point to running Scald on Tapu Fini because you can't get burns while Misty Terrain is out.

Ah thanks. What do you think about the concept though? Replacing Tapu Fini with Suicune though. She can go on another one of my teams. Since my strategy is based around annoying. The scarf is for Pelipper to come in and either U-turn out asap or come in, set up tailwind and then switch out to Galvantula to bait Thunders.

Edited by UNLEASH IT

Golisopod @ Choice Band @ ? (dunno how Emergency Exit works lol) Maybe Assault Vest not Band though
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 24 Def / 228 SpD -> 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Careful Nature -> Adamant Nature
- First Impression / X-Scissor
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet/Brick Break ->Aqua Jet
- Leech Life -> Spikes / First Impression or X-Scissor if Assault Vest
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Toxic/Recover -> Recover
- Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Venoshock -> Haze
- Recover/Scald -> Scald
Galvantula @ Focus Sash @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch -> Thunder
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder Wave / Energy Ball / Hidden Power Ice
Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower
Pelipper @ Choice Scarf @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- U-turn / Toxic
- Tailwind -> Hurricane
- Toxic -> Roost
- Defog
Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam -> Rest
- Reflect ->Sleep Talk
OR
Suicune @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Tailwind

I'm not sure how Golisopod's ability works :3 but I put my suggested changes in bold. I tried to keep your core team the same but my friend you could use some Mega-Swampert in your life. I say that because Rotom/Raikou/Zapdos run through you right now. I think I would recommend exchanging Golisopod for Megapert and Galvantula for Tapu Koko or Specs Vikavolt for RAW POWER another ground immunity, since Sticky Web does next to nothing for you. Suicune is the only one who might see a benefit, but everyone else is still way to slow. Also Sticky Web + Defog tends to not work out, in my experience.

Edited by Deltre

Don't stack up too much Rain pokemon. A good rain squad usually only use around 3 dedicated Rain pokemon and 3 "generally good" pokemon who sometimes get some benefit from Rain since 6 Rain mon is vulnerable to Toxapex/Tapu Bulu/Rotom-W

Also yeah seconding Tapu Koko over Galvantula. Tapu koko is faster and way stronger

Dugtrio is also kinda good in Rain

Edited by JSND

Don't stack up too much Rain pokemon. A good rain squad usually only use around 3 dedicated Rain pokemon and 3 "generally good" pokemon who sometimes get some benefit from Rain since 6 Rain mon is vulnerable to Toxapex/Tapu Bulu/Rotom-W

Also yeah seconding Tapu Koko over Galvantula. Tapu koko is faster and way stronger

Dugtrio is also kinda good in Rain

But I kinda want to use some shit mons. I already have really good mons like Azumarill and Suicune. Rotom-W is something I want to put in though. I'll keep everything you guys said in mind though, It's not like this info is going anywhere. Hell, I might even post some replays. When is Showdown opening back anyway?

I'm not sure how Golisopod's ability works :3 but I put my suggested changes in bold. I tried to keep your core team the same but my friend you could use some Mega-Swampert in your life. I say that because Rotom/Raikou/Zapdos run through you right now. I think I would recommend exchanging Golisopod for Megapert and Galvantula for Tapu Koko or Specs Vikavolt for RAW POWER another ground immunity, since Sticky Web does next to nothing for you. Suicune is the only one who might see a benefit, but everyone else is still way to slow. Also Sticky Web + Defog tends to not work out, in my experience.

Are there any dedicated rapid Spinners that can benefit from this team. Hopefully fast with access to a switching move.

Edited by UNLEASH IT

Are there any dedicated rapid Spinners that can benefit from this team. Hopefully fast with access to a switching move.