Should Final Bosses be Monsters or Humans?

Jotari

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should Final Bosses be Monsters or Humans?

• Monsters
    • Humans

I went with Monsters. For a final boss, I like the idea of a high-powered, cap-busting enemy who is far stronger than any individual members of your army, who can attack multiple units at once, maybe even occupy multiple spaces. Personally, I think a monster fits this model far better than any human could, even one possessed. Anankos, for instance, offers a really cool final boss fight in Revelation, even if the story surrounding him is meh-at-best. Having said that, I actually really like Ashera as a final boss. I don't think it's exactly fair to class her in the "human" category - she's a goddess, and her power and abilities reflect that. I'm fine with more final bosses like Ashera, or Anankos, or Grima - ones who transcend the limits faced by your army of only-humans, and offer a truly epic challenge.

Well, I haven't played as many games, so it's kind of hard to tell. (Though, I'll have to look at the seemingly-interesting Tellius games once I get my hands on a Wii.) I actually wonder, though, if Jahn and Zephiel are the de facto final villains instead of Idoun in FE6. They were the ones that instigated the war in the first place after all.

• 4 weeks later...

On the one hand, I think it's a writing cop-out to have your otherwise obviously-final villain just die and summon OMG EVIL GOD that is otherwise basically completely absent as a story entity (thanks validar, thanks nergal)

On the other hand, I really like the motivational message of "hey gods... fuck you!"

Pretty much the only games to do that is Gaiden, and Radiant Dawn though.

I guess you could argue Demon King is a Satan figure? We don't know enough about him to say?

Well, I haven't played as many games, so it's kind of hard to tell. (Though, I'll have to look at the seemingly-interesting Tellius games once I get my hands on a Wii.) I actually wonder, though, if Jahn and Zephiel are the de facto final villains instead of Idoun in FE6. They were the ones that instigated the war in the first place after all.

Idoun wasn't really doing anything of her own will, she was more a sympathetic puppet of Zephiel and Jahn. So I would say that Idoun's role was never truly villainous on its own, but combined with what controlled her it had to be, if that makes any sense at all.

On the one hand, I think it's a writing cop-out to have your otherwise obviously-final villain just die and summon OMG EVIL GOD that is otherwise basically completely absent as a story entity (thanks validar, thanks nergal)

On the other hand, I really like the motivational message of "hey gods... fuck you!"

Gotta love how the original English script of DQII treats Malroth/Sidoh right?

(he's less obscenely random in later translations and the Japanese, but come on).

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I prefer the monster type boss as the final boss just for the sake of fun. I'm fine with the format of wire-puller/mastermind as the second last boss (like Lehran, Nergal, Lyon) then leading on to the final battle with the big scary thing like Anankos, Ashera, ect, that you can work into the map to make it special.

As some others have said, it depends on the situation. I think FE7 handled both a human and monster boss perfectly. Nergal is the cause of everything right to the end, and you can't call the Fire Dragon a random boss because summoning dragons was Nergal's endgame from the start.

Both Path of Radiance and Fates: Conquest are good examples of human bosses with considerably challenging maps.

Anankos was pretty good, though I felt like it was wasted potential. His attacks didn't use any stat-effecting effects and he never used Dragon Vein, two things Fates is known for (and the guy originated the whole Dragon Vein thing to begin with).

Edited by Sentinel07

It can be either. Honestly, I feel that a final boss being the map itself would be an interesting idea. The problem I have with monsters as final bosses is that often times they leave a rather lackluster drive to complete them. Sometimes you don't need a grotesque image to defeat to feel like you won.