What is your favorite video game opening/introduction scene(s)?

saisymbolic

"Must've been unconscious for a while...my head feels 'fuzzy', kind of like I'm swimming through darkness...

When I came to, there was a woman standing there. A woman I don't know. At least, I don't think I know her...and then there was a man with a gun. I don't know him either, well, probably not anyway. Now, I'm not the kind of guy who can stand back and watch a poor woman get shot, but I have just one little problem...

I'm already dead myself."

In other words, Ghost Trick.

Persona 4, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Metal Gear Solid all receive honorable mentions for selling their wonderful settings immediately.

Edited by Thane

Tales of Innocence OP :

That sound is just amazing, with this mystic language (actually romanized japanese said backwards.). And then you start with a battle as the badas Asura.

​I really love that game.

Sometimes, you don't need any cool cinematic to have an amazng opening. Case in point : Hourai High, when you are thrown out of your plane and arrive in school through the main building roof. This game is full of flaws, but its quirky insanity makes that I can't totally hate it.

Disgaea games always have amazing opening as well.

Edited by Tamanoir

Both Danganronpa games have a pretty good opening.

Your introduced to the characters and the pretty catchy theme song is also going on, which makes the opening even more awesome.

TWEWY also had a fine opening sequence, and one of my favourite video game music, "Twister", is also playing during it.

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

Okay, it's technically a cinematic trailer, but as far as I am concerned it is the "opening" to the Wrath of the Lich King expansion. Blizzard has a habit of having great music and cinematics with amazing graphics, and combined they make memorable cutscenes. The story of Arthas as well as the expansion itself is memorable for me as I mainly played WoW during this era and a little during Cataclysm, the next expansion.

Same

-I love legend of zelda, a link to the past's opening (from the triforce twirling on the title screen to the little introduction which shows the lead up to the night the game starts).

-I like Final Fantasy Tactics's openings (I think there are 3).

-I like FE4's a ton, even though I don't remember the translation of the text (for all I know the end is the one who translated the one I did read - but thanks to whoever did it).

-I don't feel really passionate about the static'y "war against giygas" image in earthbound (though it's good) but I really love the jazzy "random scenes from game" tour in earthbound and mother 3. I believe those depict some scenes which don't actually happen in the games.

-Crypt of the Necrodancer's intro is great.

Trails in the Sky SC's opening sequence (spoilers for TitS FC) was actually what made me want to play the whole series, so I guess that would be mine.

In hindsight, I blame the theme song's violin.

Really great one. I like the singer for that one (I'm not as big a fan of the singer for the OVAs). I also like Ys Origin's, though mostly because of the music.

MGS aside, since it's already been mentioned, I adore the original PS1 intro to Persona 2: Innocent Sin:

It's got a ton of subtle foreshadowing for the game itself, and the music is wonderful, especially in the second half when it segues into an awesome remix of Knights of the Holy Lance.

Metroid Prime, definitely.

Watching Samus' gunship dock at the Frigate Orpheon walkway and the bounty hunter herself somersault jump out of said gunship is just so cool. :3

Honorable mention also goes to Conker's Bad Fur Day, for parodying A Clockwork Orange, of all things.