i wish i could post this in the spriting subforum

-Make a clickbait title

-Insert cute sprite

-Put the true message hidden in a spoiler

-????

-Profit

Probably not the best idea? It comes across as combative, especially when a lot of our spriters have been doing it for 5-10 years and are incredible artists in their own right.

There's no reason you can't open up a thread about spriting techniques, but explain why you feel that way + the merits of your position and present it as a discussion rather than an argument or demand (ask why x isn't better than y, etc). If they're suggesting something, then obviously they have a reason for doing so; a lot of people learn and improve at their craft in different ways, it's one of the things that makes art what it is.

I can guarantee you that you wouldn't get a positive response if you were to post this thread as is. Best to be cordial!

Edited by Tangerine

idk, I like to think splicing helped me learn fairly well

but I haven't tried editing (I think?? I'm not fully sure what exactly that qualifies as) so I don't know how that compares

but it's probably more like to each their own. Maybe both could be given as a good suggestion?

anyway that forum hasn't gone completely without discussion topics, so yeah as long as you made an effortpost you could easily make a topic in there~!

Edited by Freohr Datia

I mean, there isn't much that most beginners like me can achieve by editing so.

The process is just a lot more conducive to learning than focusing on splicing. If your advice is to splice, then the recipient of the advice is going to focus on cutting and pasting parts and the technique that goes into that cutting and pasting, rather than truly observing and making modifications according to what's needed.

Plus if you do the edit yourself and it looks off as hell, it's easy to see and easy to correct.

Though the biggest pitfall is staying zoomed in on the sprite the entire time you're working on it.

rather than truly observing and making modifications according to what's needed.

when I spliced, I did cutting and pasting and making modifications so that my splices could look clean

it made it so I could try create my own thing without looking too out-of-place and also not trying to make giant leaps out of my league while at the same time gradually learning the technique fe sprite artists used and over time I could start making my own full or partial custom sprites

I think it just has to be up to the person to be able to recognize how to correct splices that look off (because pretty much no matter what you're splicing, it's going to look out of place if you don't make small adjustments) and if you don't initially, then that's what constructive criticism is for